Video: Jon Stewart dumps on Climategate researchers

posted at 2:29 pm on December 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

No, he’s not questioning man-made global warming, but neither is he ignoring the e-mails or pretending that they don’t matter like, say, the UN or Obama’s climate czar or pretty much all nutroots bloggers great and small. Put Stewart in the Monbiot camp: Data manipulation doesn’t mean the icecaps aren’t melting, but it sure ain’t helping convince people that they are. At Reason, Ronald Bailey surveys the damage:

But for now, regardless of the motivations of the researchers, damage has been done. How can the world of climate science recover? First, carry out independent investigations of the activities of the researchers involved. Pennsylvania State University has announced that it will investigate the activities of researcher Michael Mann, who worked closely with the CRU and several times expressed in the leaked emails his desire to stifle the scientific work of researchers with whom he disagreed. In Britain, Nigel Lawson, former chancellor of the exchequer, has called for an independent investigation of the CRU. Tireless journalistic global warming scold George Monbiot has declared, “It’s no use pretending this isn’t a major blow….I believe that the head of the unit, Phil Jones, should now resign.”…

One thing more transparency won’t fix: the complications and uncertainty inherent in the policy debate about global warming. “In the end, I would hypothesize that the result of the freeing of data and code will necessarily lead to a more robust understanding of scientific uncertainties, [and] that may have the perverse effect of making the future less clear,” emails Pielke Jr. “The inability to tolerate dissent has unfortunately destroyed the credibility of climate change science and I don’t know how it’s going to come back,” laments climatologist and free-market Cato Institute fellow Patrick Michaels, who was frequently reviled in the CRU emails. “I don’t know how the public and policymakers will ever trust what climate scientists say in the future.”

No less a skeptic than Jim Inhofe was sufficiently pleased with this bit to post it to his own YouTube account, even though its primary target ultimately is, er, Jim Inhofe. Think of it as the “Daily Show” equivalent of Obama’s new timetable: Very far from ideal, but probably the best you’re going to do from a lefty.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Scientists Hide Global Warming Data
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Health Care Crisis

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Very funny.

fossten on December 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Somebody should tell Jon Stewart that the polar bear population is the highest it’s ever been.

Dude, he only eviscerate right wing talking points. Left wing ones he reports as is. (Do I need to bring up the Shinseki myth?)

Dave_d on December 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I’ve got a couple of campaign slogans to promote the new AGW conversation:

START OVER: Towards a Bullshit-Neutral AGW Debate

Climategate: The Science is Scuttled

DrZin on December 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Not funny, he white-washed the whole thing.

jsunrise on December 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Pretty much, but its understandable. Liberals are so deep into denial, that truth is a shock to the system. In the words of Elvis Costello.

“If you don’t know by now
no one’s going to tell you.

If you don’t know by now
the shock would probably kill you”

Stewart tried to sell it as “cutting corners”. It wasn’t cutting corners..it was a deliberate con.

Itchee Dryback on December 2, 2009 at 6:07 PM

The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.
- Ferdinand Magellan

If Ferdinand Magellan was alive today he would probably say “The Church of Global Warming says the earth is dangerously heating up, but I know that it is not, for I have seen the snow and ice and have felt their bitter cold, and I have more faith in snow and ice than in the Church of Global Warming and it’s High Priests.”

MB4 on December 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Climategate: The Science is Scuttled

I like that! May I use it?

oldleprechaun on December 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I wonder if Brian Williams still has a boner for Jon after that?

di butler on December 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM

And that polar bears can swim.

xblade on December 2, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Climategate, I wonder if there will be a movie sequel to an inconvenient truth….an inconvenient untruth.

Dr Evil on December 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM

They didn’t cut corners, the cut from whole cloth a predetermined outcome and fought to shape the data accordingly.

Scientists know this is not done. Mathematicians know this is not done. Probably accountants and economists and statisticians know this is not done.

For the rest of the world, the whitewash will work.

Carolina Kat on December 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Oldleprechaun, I’m flattered; consider it yours.

DrZin on December 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Fox News actually has a headline to this story:

Fake news show is actually covering climate-gate but not real news shows? No joke!

Subhead:

ABC, CBS and NBC ignored scandal over a climate cover-up, and now they’ve been scooped by Comedy Central

Christian Conservative on December 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM

BTW, Is Shepherd mSmith covering this?
“IT’S REAL, PEOPLE!!”

DrZin on December 2, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I love what Ronald Bailey wrote in Reason. As for Jon Stewart, I guess I have to get my drink on and scalp some polar bears.

HellCat on December 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM

As Romney liked to say, facts are stubborn things.

Mojave Mark on December 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM