Top Democrat: Oh yeah, Reid’s ObamaCare bill actually costs $2.5 trillion

posted at 3:17 pm on December 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

But see, he says, it all depends on where you start counting. If you start counting before the program actually kicks in, you get that nice, worthless deficit-neutral number that CBO found. If you start counting when you’re supposed to start counting, you get the fiscal equivalent of a 50-car pile-up. Why Republicans don’t mock this idiot illogic by applying it to the surge in Afghanistan, I don’t know. If we start counting next summer, Obama’s not actually sending any new troops, is he? See how easy it is make the left happy?

Consider this post, including the clip below, a follow-up to my point last night about The One’s ridiculous hand-wringing over spending another $30 billion for new troops next year in a cause he himself insists is essential to America’s national security. For comparison, we’ll spend roughly three times as much as that on health care in the very first year that Reid’s bill would go into full effect, before the costs start to spiral towards the heavens. And unlike Afghanistan, there’s no timeline for this mission: That’s the point of the clip, as budget honcho Peter Orszag explains that health-care efficiencies are really more of a decades-long project, assuming that the cost-saving measures he has in mind will even work. Which they might not. Click the image to watch.

orszag

Comments

Well Surprise…surprise…surprise.

portlandon on December 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM

This sounds fishy, I think we need to reinstate the fishy email address.

Enoxo on December 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Peter Orszag sure is oozing confidence as he talks about his bosses healthcare plan.

WashJeff on December 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM

D’oh!

cmsinaz on December 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM

It might take “decades” for efficiencies to appear, says Obama budget director.

Let’s see now. It’s going to take decades and trillions of dollars before we see any improvement in health care costs. AND it’s going to take decades and trillions of dollars before there is any imporvement in global warming.

Is there anything they want that we won’t have to wait decades for and pay trillions of dollars?

Rocks on December 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM

To be fair, at least 500 million of that is for Peter Orszag’s hair pieces.

Proud Rino on December 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM

But spending money on the war only gets us blood and lost lives. Spending money on healthcare gets them complete control over every single aspect of our lives. Surely that is more important that fighting terrorism.

myrenovations on December 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM

The Pay-Now-Buy-Later Plan. If nobody gets any benefits till 2014 anyway, why don’t we vote on it in 2013?

Oh, that’s right. Some of today’s Reps and Senators, and possibly the President, may not be in office then.

Gotta do it when nobody’s looking.

Steve Z on December 2, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Uh-oh.

Sounds like somebody’s gonna be off to one of those “nonexistent” death panels.

red winger on December 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Oh my. QOTD, and the day’s not half over.

John the Libertarian on December 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM

It might take “decades” for efficiencies to appear, says Obama budget director.

And even then, any efficiency in the program would only be a statistically meaningless anomaly.

malclave on December 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Rocks on December 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM

More cowbell?

malclave on December 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Ah, the odd nerd to complement all the cool guys in the administration.

Did everybody catch the casual badmouthing of doctors near the beginning? “Your doctor in too many cases today does not have any basis, doesn’t have the evidence, to know whether this approach or that approach is better.”

And here I’d thought 12 or more years of post-secondary education was worth something.

Drained Brain on December 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

A lot of these guys will not be in positions of accountability when the costs kick in. They’ll be safely hunkered down raking in big bucks as lobbyists. All they need is to to get it in place then take the next train out of town. Reminds me of The Music Man.

a capella on December 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Bet it’s more like $20.5 trillion, but what’s a few trillion anyway……it’s just money.

yoda on December 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Drained Brain on December 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

The didn’t spend 8 years in Evil medical school to be called mister, thank you very much.

* holds pinky to corner of mouth *

UltimateBob on December 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM

It might take “decades” for efficiencies to appear, says Obama budget director.

Hm, kinda like the seven decades it took for the “efficiencies” of communism to collapse the Soviet Union?

CP on December 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM

It is a shame there are no Republicans who draw enough attention to get the message out.

portlandon on December 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM

AP: “It will be years to decades” before the nation has a properly working health care system that rewards quality over quantity, Peter Orszag told reporters. He said improving the quality of health care “is more like a lifelong nutrition or diet, not studying for an exam,” but he added that continuous progress is a crucial goal.

Translation: I don’t have the slightest idea what this is going to cost and I don’t care. Why should I? I have no private sector experience and have never had to and never will pay a price for my incorrect predictions and misery inducing policies.

The key here is a continuous takeover of the economy by smart guys like me, because you idiots can’t be trusted to behave the way we want you to.

RadClown on December 2, 2009 at 3:36 PM

YOU LIE, Obamacrats.

Remember when we were told by the Administration that this would cost under a trillion?

HA!

Good Lt on December 2, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My God, this government is run by complete idiots.

ORconservative on December 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Yep- it really is a mental disease.
On the other hand, I appreciate the candor in them essentially saying they’re going to try and destroy the economy.

jjshaka on December 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Somewhat On Topic:

The evil Maine sisters are hearing their call for history again.

Enoxo on December 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM

A trillion here, a trillion there, pretty soon it’ll add up to real money.
GOP needs to hammer the donkeys hard on this.

rbj on December 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM

A trillion here, a trillion there, pretty soon it’ll add up to real money.
GOP needs to hammer the donkeys hard on this.

rbj on December 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM

What’s twelve trillion dollars between Friends?

nyx on December 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Obviously “fuzzy math” has switched to the left side. I think it is more than fuzzy, more like muddy.

txstar on December 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM

You know what scares me…2.5 trillion does not surprise me, nor overwhelm me anymore, it’s just another big number I see everyday.
If someone said it would only cost 500 billion, most of us would be dumb enough to think that is a bargain.
Excuse me while I take advantage of the gas, it’s under $3
a gallon now, it’s a bargain…

right2bright on December 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM

bwahahahahaha! wutta joke!

the dems are out of stunts & gimmicks: agw = bs.

obamacare is a disaster.

bwahahahaha!

wut will they do now that they have nuthin to demagogue?

shut up?

neva!

well they can still yell “racists”

reliapundit on December 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM

RadClown on December 2, 2009 at 3:36 PM

You nailed it.

nyx on December 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Boy.

“Free” health care is really expensive, isn’t it, O-bots?

Economics FAIL.

Good Lt on December 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Ooops.

HornetSting on December 2, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Good Lt on December 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Have you seen the chart in Glenn Beck where only 10 people in this administration has held private sector jobs? 10! These are some of the stupidest morons to ever see the light of day in this administration holding unprecedented amount of power. The Precedent is worse than a moron; he is a traitor. We are so screwed.

nyx on December 2, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC), as I accused her in the many emails I’ve sent her, is a lying wench. She has the nerve to tell me the Obamacare plan will save money.

SouthernGent on December 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM

If they only use the years money is collected, but not paid out, they will find that Universal Hell Care is not only deficit neutral, but it actually creates and/or saves money!!!!11!!

cntrlfrk on December 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM

When will we throw these criminals in jail and start over.

Somewhere in this country, there must be some people left with integrity.

notagool on December 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

SouthernGent on December 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Same thing with Mark Warner. Dem Senators are going to be toast when they vote for this.

nyx on December 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Will CBO crunch the real numbers now? Because their last worthless report is the last remaining, unraveling thread the libtards have to hang onto. If they revise, they’ll have nothing left.

NoLeftTurn on December 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM

It might take “decades” for efficiencies to appear, says Obama budget director.

Just like the global warmers’ Cap & Trade, pay massive taxes now to perhaps cool the climate ever so little in fifty years or so.

No Thanks!

RJL on December 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I have always said that a lot of the health care cost we are seeing is due to Baby Boomers who are both getting older and are using more health care due to personal behavior than the generations before them.

Of course efficiencies will improve in a couple of decades! Gen X’rs are a much smaller proportion of the population and Gen Y’rs will still be young enough to need less health care.

Bigurn on December 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Rocks on December 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Sure… make The Unprecedented ruler for life

ya2daup on December 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM

WashJeff on December 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Only thing this clown is oozing is the popular type of bovine by-product used to fertilze an open field.

pilamaye on December 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I don’t care who gets hurt in the process, but if/when the repubs regain congress, they have to dismantle this. And I mean it, I don’t care who gets hurt. This has to be dismantled.

Mirimichi on December 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Look how it took decades for everyone to figure out that SS, Medicare/caid and all these welfare programs like Food Stamps are crippling our economy.
Fools are running this country.

Badger40 on December 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Ponzi schemes only work for a little while.
Them boom.
The game’s up & someone has to pay.

Badger40 on December 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

* holds pinky to corner of mouth *

UltimateBob on December 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Wahh..
I spent 7 years in college and all I got was a lousy BS degree. :(

Badger40 on December 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Baucus came right out and admitted the same thing today- it’s gonna cost (the Chinese) $2.5 Trillion.

MTF on December 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Not to invite a shoe to be thrown at me, but C-span’s synopsis doesn’t really fairly capture what he is saying. He isn’t saying that the savings won’t start to materialize for decades; he’s saying that they will be a gradual accrual over years and decades (and his hand gestures accentuate the point of a small effect starting immediately and then growing over time.)

I dislike the health care bill as much as anyone — and I don’t believe it will save money, net, over any period — but this strikes me as a bit of “gotcha” editing.

Chuckles3 on December 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM

. . not “gotcha” editing, but rather “gotcha” summarizing.

Chuckles3 on December 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I guess I need to myself summarize correctly if I’m going to make that accusation — it’s RealClearPolitics’s summary, not C-span’s.

That being said, watching it again, I think the summary is defnitely unfair. He definitely says “continuous improvement” and doesn’t imply that it would be deferred for decades.

Chuckles3 on December 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM

When you take your car to the shop he puts it on the computer to read the computer and see what is wrong. If he cannot do that he starts replacing parts.

People are not cars! Doctors cannot go by a list of treatments. We do not (at least not yet) have onboard computers to tell doctors what is wrong!

Just get out the eugenists and start killing people off. That is the end game of Holdren and the progressives!
The more libs talk, the worse it gets for them.

patriotparty1 on December 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM

OT: Waxman is ready to grow big government even bigger, this time with media “bailouts”:

How much more damage can this jerk do?

onlineanalyst on December 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Can’t you get indicted for conspiring to start a Ponzi scheme? Or do you have to wait until the damage is actually done?

GarandFan on December 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM

SouthernGent on December 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM

But it will save you money…you would probably just spend it on a new car, or new water heater, a roof, maybe wasting it on a vacation…you know stuff that puts people to work making things for people to waste their money on…

right2bright on December 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Fools are running this country.

Badger40 on December 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

That could start off every new political post on Hot Air.

Huckabee: Given the same set of facts, sure I’d commute Clemmons’s sentence again

Fools are running this country

McCain grills Gates: How fixed is this 2011 timetable for withdrawal?

Fools are running this country

Jobs summit or echo chamber?

Fools are running this country

A few more thoughts on Obama’s Afghanistan speech

Fools are running this country

Gibbs on Climategate: The science is settled

Fools are running this country

right2bright on December 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Drained Brain on December 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

That snotty remark really fried my shorts, too.

I am tired of the ObaMao “braintrusts” pontificating on areas well outside their expertise and real-world experience.

A recent red-highlighted headline over at Drudge indicates that AGW science is sound and that the climategate scandal is much ado about nothing.

These people are pyschotic. They live in their own imaginary worlds.

onlineanalyst on December 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM

What a clown. Does anyone actually talk to this dim bulbs before they get elected? Never mind, it probably wouldn’t matter.

dogsoldier on December 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Chuckles3 on December 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM

There cannot be “continuous improvement” if our population is aging.

Is Orszag measuring human lives in dog years?

onlineanalyst on December 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Somewhere in this country, there must be some people left with integrity.

notagool on December 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I have plenty of integrity, but if you think I’m gonna stick my neck out for these leftists to destroy me for the crime of disgreeing with them, even mildly, you’re crazier than they are.

I know, I know, if good people don’t step up and take the arrows, the bad people will win. Guess what, they already have. You folks keep referring to the jackass in chief and his minions as stupid, foolish, below average in the intellect department, but they’re now in charge of ALL OF YOU. Are you sure you want to write them off so casually?

runawayyyy on December 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM

The Left is very dimwitted.

I’m very serious about that…that they are very un-reasonable. They lack the capacity for imagination.

It take a guy who is witless to say:

They are witless enough to believe that everything begins with them. That they make the country work.

r keller on December 2, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I expect to see a terrorist attack here soon. The D’s must climb down from this implosion of a health care vote, but will need a colossal distraction. A nice big urban bombing would do nicely. They’ll look the other way (just consult with the Secret Service on this) while a slimy bomb-planter demonstrates his craft in a big way. They can then call off the health debate and investigate this new emergency.

You read it here first!

leftnomore on December 2, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Is he gay? What’s with the karate chop hand gestures? He’s obviously Obama’s cheerleader, and this is supposed to be a non-partisan office.

leftnomore on December 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM

It might take “decades” for efficiencies to appear, says Obama budget director.

Rocks on December 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Oh, but we must act now, the time for talking is over, disasters will strike if we don’t act right away!

PatMac on December 2, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Allahpundit, so many people seem to fail to distinguish among “million,” “billion,” and “trillion,” it seems they would benefit from pictures in discussions of fiscal matters: “See, this big circle is the annual cost of Obamacare. This little dot is the $30 billion about which he’s pretending to sweat.” Ad captum vulgi loqui.

Kralizec on December 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM

It might take “decades” for efficiencies to appear, says Obama budget director.

Try never. That’s how long it’s been since any government program has produced efficiencies. But these under accomplished morons are different. Yeah, and I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

RadClown on December 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM

$2.5 Trillion?

Try $12 Trillion!!!!

Because, the UNIONS WILL TAKE OVER HEALTHCARE!!!!! and do for healthcare what they have done for public education, and the post office, and the V.A. hospitals.

TAXES LIKE YOU’VE NEVER IMAGINED IN YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE are a coming folks.

Imagine SEIU in charge of your doctors!!

Imagine a Congress or Federal elites not on the same plan the we the peons are all on!!

OBAMA……BIGGEST MISTAKE IN AMERICAN HISTORY!!!!

PappyD61 on December 3, 2009 at 1:23 PM