Jobs summit or echo chamber?

posted at 12:15 pm on December 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Stung by criticism that the White House had done little to stem the rising unemployment rate after getting its $787 billion in Porkulus money, Barack Obama announced a “jobs summit” for tomorrow to find ways of stimulating job creation, and invited a wide range of participants.  That wide range apparently only includes a series of yes men, as the Washington Times points out:

Facing rising unemployment rates and having seen uncertain results from the stimulus bill, President Obama is hosting a “jobs summit” at the White House Thursday that will be packed with business leaders and economists supportive of White House policies but lacks a diversity of opinion, several analysts say.

Missing from a partial list of attendees released by the White House are the self-proclaimed voices of business – the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Business – both of which have been critical of Mr. Obama’s proposed health care overhaul.

Confirmed attendees include liberal economists credited with shaping the $787 billion stimulus package, union leaders, environmental advocates and executives from Google and other blue-chip firms.

“He’s going to get lots of recommendations to spend more money,” said Peter Morici, a professor at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business. “These are the very same people who gave us the stimulus package. My feeling is we’re not going to get what we need, and that’s a complete change in direction on economic policy.”

Apparently, the purpose of this summit is not job creation.  It’s job protection: Obama’s.  The only reason to exclude critics of Obamanomics at this point is to offer a Chip Diller moment, a convocation of yes men to tell America that “All is well!” as unemployment runs us over:

If Obama really wanted to pursue job creation, he would invite job producers to the summit and at least listen to what they have to say. Instead of showing real leadership, Barack Obama offers America … a campaign stop.


Related Posts:

Breaking on Hot Air

Blowback

Trackbacks/Pings

Trackback URL

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This whole meeting is preposterous in the first place. They are working under the false premis that government creates jobs!!!

Epic Fail from the start.

Also, I read somewhere on the net that of the top 400 or so appointees in this loser’s administration, only 8% have private busienss experience. The other 92% are all government or non profit people.

No wonder no one in the White House has a flipping clue!!!

karenhasfreedom on December 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Hey, if it’s a jobs summit, does that mean the White House can expect several thousand unemployed Washington residents standing outside the main gate waiting for interviews?

pilamaye on December 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM

If Obama really wanted to pursue job creation, he would invite job producers to the summit and at least listen to what they have to say.

So the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a bigger employer than “Google and other blue-chip firms.”?

orange on December 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM

They predicted that this “jobs summit” was all a publicity stunt before Obama goes to Allentown, PA to view the unemployed “religion and gun clingers”

I wonder if he got Billy Joel to come and sing “Allentown” ?

J_Crater on December 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Hey, I wonder if Barry is going to hand out uniforms like he did to the “doctors for ObamaCare”. S.E.I.U. t shirts for all, perhaps?

Buy Danish on December 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM

So the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a bigger employer than “Google and other blue-chip firms.”?

orange on December 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Yes, massivly bigger. Google hires in the hundreds, the Chamber is connected to thousands of businesses.

Google, and other blue chip firms, will NOT grow the US out of a recession, and they will not hire meaningfull numbers of people.

This meeting is a total waste of time. And the real shame of it all is that Obama has no idea how big a failure he is. Well, not yet!

Freddy on December 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM

So the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a bigger employer than “Google and other blue-chip firms.”?

orange on December 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM

did you really just type that?

The US chamber represents employers of hundreds of thousands of people.

JusDreamin on December 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM

The only jobs I see he is going to save or create is the ACORN staffers thanks to his crony friend Eric the black panther Holder

bluegrass on December 2, 2009 at 8:34 PM

If Obama really wanted to pursue job creation

m he would resign the presidency after he confessed to the nation that the true goal of the DemonRat Political party was in fact to destroy America. I won’t be holding my breath for the liar to do such a thing.

larvcom on December 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Comment pages: 1 2