Matthews on West Point: Obama went to the “enemy camp” tonight, didn’t he?

posted at 9:18 pm on December 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

All he meant, I take it, is that the current commander-in-chief might not be Mr. Popularity among the presumably hawkish, right-leaning majority of cadets. But when your mouth is bigger than your brain, this is what happens. Twitter’s already buzzing about it so have at it. Exit question: How soon before the public apology? Middle segment on tomorrow night’s “Hardball”? Opening segment? Or does he take to the airwaves tomorrow morning and do the deed on “Morning Joe”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

EXPOSES THE LEFT’S VIEW OF MILITARY. OOOOOOPSE

Chris must be on the sauce again, because when he’s trying to fill time he starts rambling and all sorts of stuff comes out.

marklmail on December 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I’m not sure I can find words to describe my anger over this. I hope he gets ripped several new ones today.

Darksean on December 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Every time I look at this guy I can’t help but see him and Barney Frank curled up together in front of a fire in a warm, philosophical embrace.

SKYFOX on December 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Let’s not jump to conclusions. (He said exactly what he meant.)

Disturb the Universe on December 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM

So if Obama gave a speech before the Taliban fighters and al Queda terrorists would Matthews say he would be speaking to the “friendly camp”?

albill on December 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Yes,it was a slip, but when my brothers started coming home from Nam and the anti-war movement changed to hate the troops, I left the movement. This is the progressive true sentiment about our troops. I know I was there.

Grayzel on December 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM

albill on December 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Carolina Kat on December 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Matthew’s just said what he really thinks, and it is good for us to be reminded: this is the leftist position, that America is evil and rotten and those who defend it are knuckle-dragging, bullet-headed, repulsive peasants who must be praised in public (and hated and mocked in private).

It is also Obama’s position, because he has made the media and types like CM his personal mouthpiece. I have no problem attributing Matthews’ statement to Obama, because of the many signs from Obama that are in harmony with this repulsive sentiment.

From day one I’ve said Obama is a Manchurian candidate; by now he’s bowed to the Emperor of Japan, sold the country to the Chinese, is hell-bent on ruining the economy, making a mockery of our legal system, and regards the U.S. Army as his enemy.

This is only his first year.

GTR640 on December 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM

You gotta wonder who Chris thinks is the allied
camp.

thgrant on December 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM

On DrudgeReport:

VIDEO: MSNBC Chris Matthews calls West Point the ‘enemy camp’…

IntheNet on December 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Beck just played the clip. Matthews is an Obama-worshipping idiot.

kingsjester on December 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Let a fool keep talking,and he lets the world know what is truly in his heart.

ohiobabe on December 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I wish they would send him to the front lines to report on the Surge. With any luck that would be the last we hear of mister CREEPYMAN. The lack of respect CNN shows our Military is appalling not to mention UnAmerican. Lets send them all to live in Venezuela and report from there.

LSUMama on December 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Mark Twain on Chrissie Matthews.
“What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it”.

Johan Klaus on December 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Just as “the Boss” has said on her blog – “They don’t support the troops.” At least this bozo has the balls to say it. That, not his views, I can respect. At least with him, it is clear where he stands.

Alternatively, one can’t have any respect for a politician saying one thing, and passing gas with another.

More importantly, I think that he should lose some weight. Since fat is a huge producer of CO2, and he is full of fat, he is far exceeding his carbon credit quota. I believe if we plot out the sum of total weight of this guy, Gibbs, Murtha, Obey, and Gore – we will notice that there is a definite correlation with the CO2 increase (see reputed hockey stick graph) over time. This, and the resultant ‘hot air’ they spew are the proof that global warming is man made!

Danny on December 2, 2009 at 9:24 AM

He hasn’t apologized. Because being noticed on Drudge, Beck, Hannity and Rush is better than not being noticed at all.

Marcus on December 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Would it be wrong to kick this guy in the ‘nads, or would that not hurt him?

MadDogF on December 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Grayzel on December 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Bingo! Me as well.Some things never change, they just get worse,sort of like poison ivy.

inevitable on December 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM

AnnaCa should get his job; She makes more sense than this blithering idiot.
Is Matthews using the gay card to keep his job?

Cybergeezer on December 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM

“Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.”

Heinrich Heine

Tom

marinetbryant on December 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM

“Out of the heart the mouth speaks,” says the Bible. Good example of it here. This is what many Obamabots believe.

But I love your quote, too, AP: his mouth is bigger than his brain. Way bigger.

NebCon on December 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Wouldn’t it be good to have a Left Leaning military? Look at the massive savings on ammunition and weapons production! That could go toward the deficit! But, who do you think would end up with all that cash? I think it would be ACORN, mostly, and boy, oh boy, are they good for our country! We can certainly trust them.

Cybergeezer on December 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Yes, US Army Officer Cadets are the enemy.
This clown Chrissy Mathews is on what side?

ObamatheMessiah on December 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM

But when your mouth is bigger than your brain, this is what happens

LMAO. +1

bitsy on December 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM

“I mean, that’s where Paul Wolfowitz used to write speeches for, back in the old Bush days. That’s where he went to rabble rouse the “we’re going to democratize the world” campaign back in ‘02.”

I assume that Matthew’s is talking about Bush’s commencement address on June 1st 2002, which layed out the basic tenets of what is called the Bush Doctrine. Although I see nowhere where it says that Wolfowitz wrote that speech.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM

… and liberals are indignant when you question their patriotism. Go figure.

mwbri on December 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM

No Chris Mathews’ reaction is in fact perfect and correct.

Mathews thought that Obama was giving a campaign speech, and
the lack of 20 to 30 standing ovations meant that Obama was
not received warmly.

The problem for Obama is that after a while every one can see that he is a vacillating empty suit.

Don’t take my word for it, everybody thinks he’s an empty suit.

thgrant on December 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I hope he gets ripped several new ones today.

Darksean on December 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Darksean – I agree with your sentiment and know what you mean, but, c’mon – he works for MSNBC. If it was possible, he’d get a promotion for saying that. As far as getting ripped, he works at the lowest rated cable network, the opinion of little plebes like us doesn’t move him.

kscheuller on December 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Would it be wrong to kick this guy in the ‘nads, or would that not hurt him?

MadDogF on December 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM

You have to have a set of stones first. This eunuch clearly does not … too many teabag sessions with Barney Frank.

Dukehoopsfan on December 2, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Come on Chris, apologize to the one person who heard you and to the thousands of military who now know you said it!

donh525 on December 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

What an E’fing idiot. Perfect for MSNBC. Who needs a false apology from this loser anyway?

olesparkie on December 2, 2009 at 10:15 AM

The good news is one of these years, he will no longer be on TV. I firmly believe that the liberal media idiots will fall from grace.

If the global warming house of cards can fall, then so can the liberal media.

That’s one of my Christmas wishes.

Oink on December 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM

And we think the GOP has problems in it’s party…. The good people of America who consider themselves to be Democrat, had better wake up to the vile hatred of the leftists. The GOP better start educating these people… quickly

shar61 on December 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Just the sight or sound of this moron makes me nauseous.

Nalea on December 2, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Matthews is an idiot just like his counterparts on the other side like Sean Hannity and Beck.

Decider on December 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Is that Chris Matthews? He has aged like 20 years in a span of few months. Sort of like Dorian Gray without the portrait.

nyx on December 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I can’t think of anything bad enough to describe Chris Matthews. He’s an endless stream of puke.

ace tomato on December 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM

The Chickenhawk Opines
Posted by Lew Rockwell on December 2, 2009 12:20 AM

So the US, according to Obama, has to murder more Afghanis because 9/11 was plotted in Afghanistan. No it wasn’t; it was plotted in Germany and Florida. But the most alarming aspect of the militaristic festival was his constant threats against Pakistan. Clearly, along with Iran, Pakistan is the key target of the junta. I did appreciate, for once, a comment by Chris Matthews. He correctly described the anti-Afghanistan war as “punitive.”

paultards take

jp on December 2, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Chris Matthews needs to see a mental health specialist.

Dr Evil on December 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Chris Matthews needs to see a mental health specialist.

And NBC needs to see an out-placement specialist.

drunyan8315 on December 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Chris Matthews needs to see a mental health specialist.

Dr Evil on December 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Maybe he can see Hasan in his spare time. They share the same Messiah.

nyx on December 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM

My fellow HotAirians. This is truly what we are up against. Mr. Matthews’ mask slipped last night, and we saw the true beliefs of the left. They don’t see our country the way we do. They don’t hold the same values as we do. To paraphrase Bill Whittle, this is a political death match. We are fighting for the soul of our country.

WordsMatter on December 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Rabble, rabble, rabble……

Torch on December 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM

This guy is a disaster. He is the poster boy for the failed mainstream media, and is a borderline trator. Calling WestPoint the enemy camp is treason.

He needs to be fired today.

saiga on December 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Grayzel on December 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM

inevitable on December 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM

That makes three of us!. The first time I saw our returning soldiers abused by the leftist loons, that ended it for me. Reality set in.

elclynn on December 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I wonder which of Chris’s friends is going to be the one to finally tell him that JFK was killed by a communist sympathizer who was obsessed with defending Fidel Castro?

Friends and enemies indeed, Chris.

jeff_from_mpls on December 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

jeff_from_mpls on December 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Or that his brother, Bobby, was murdered by a Palestinian terrorist?

Doorgunner on December 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Matthews gets flustered whenever he listens to Obama. He can’t help it, what with the tingles…

hawksruleva on December 2, 2009 at 11:32 AM

elclynn on December 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

All of you guys are in good company

right2bright on December 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Or that his brother, Bobby, was murdered by a Palestinian terrorist?

Doorgunner on December 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM

He was a patsy!

jeff_from_mpls on December 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM

What a pathetic jackoff.

rjoco1 on December 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Is Matthews relate to Joe Biden ?

J_Crater on December 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I hope the 15th of Dec is his last paycheck. Fire him.

journeyintothewhirlwind on December 2, 2009 at 12:23 PM

And now this moron is trying to backtrack on his offensive comments? Let me just quote from a great book…. Out of the heart, the mouth speaketh”.
So, backtrack all you want, everyone knows your true feelings!
“Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt”!

hopefloats on December 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Chrissie finally let’s the truth slip out. That’s gonna cost him a few leg tingles.

Fletch54 on December 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM

rush’s take on it right now

cmsinaz on December 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Decider on December 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Sorry, kid, epic fail. Unlike Chrissy, Hannity and Beck actually like America and don’t want us to lose.

Del Dolemonte on December 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM

…the fact of the matter is that he went up there to a place that’s obviously military…

So what does obviously military have to do with “enemies” and the CiC? What a tool. He just added salt to that wound as far as I’m concerned. “Obviously military” indeed. It’s freaking West Point and a speech on a military campaign and foreign military policy. What else would it be, idiot?

Sultry Beauty on December 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Man, I’m just heartbroken that liberals are always accused of hating the military. I wonder how that vicious slander got started.

misterpeasea on December 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Chris Matthews needs to see a mental health specialist.
And NBC needs to see an out-placement specialist.

drunyan8315 on December 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

MSLSD IS an out-patient clinic, loons and freaks learning to speak in front of dozens of viewers.

A strange venue? The military academy? A speech on adding additional troops in a war? Chris was a writer for Jimmy Carter.

The thrill running up his leg offset by the turd rolling down the other leg.

dthorny on December 2, 2009 at 1:38 PM

How soon before the public apology?

I believe he will be fired. Comcast is now a 51% owner of NBC Universal. Once the regulators OK the deal there will be changes at NBC properties.
Matthews days are numbered.

FireBlogger on December 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Matthews days are numbered.

Not soon enough!

nor on December 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Sad when liberals think West Point is the enemy camp for the Commander-in-Chief.

WyoMike on December 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Chris Mathews needs to be hunted, tackled, then summarily beaten with the bloody remnants of his tingling leg.

ted c on December 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I’d like to see Matthews wander into the “enemy cap,” or into a large canyon, either one.

Sharke on December 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Enemy camp, not cap. I’d quite like to see an enemy cap “wander” into Matthews though. Preferably right between his beady eyes.

Sharke on December 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM

At least hardly anyone heard this Freudian slip since “Hardball” is on life support.

Someone needs to clue in the intelligensia at NBC that, as Chris’s ratings reflect, few people outside of 30 Rock think he is a bona fide journalist.

I am surprised they can even give away air time for his time slot.

What a pathetic network.

molonlabe28 on December 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

He just apologized at the top of his show…

cmsinaz on December 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM

“He went up there to West Point, okay, and maybe earlier tonight I used the wrong phrase, ‘enemy camp,’ but the fact of the matter is that he went up there to a place that’s obviously military.

And the military, by design, is apolitical, moron.

People in the voluntary army that – and you have officers up there, people who have been tough,” Matthews said.