Will Washington shooting damage Huckabee bid?

posted at 12:15 pm on November 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How could it not?  It’s the second time that a man granted clemency by Mike Huckabee over the objections of prosecutors has committed a violent act that would have been prevented otherwise.   Maurice Clemmons had his lengthy prison sentence commuted by Huckabee in 2000, despite a lifetime pattern of violent crime and erratic behavior, nine years before Clemmons shot four Seattle police officers to death in a coffee shop:

Maurice Clemmons, the 37-year-old Tacoma man being sought for questioning in the killing this morning of four Lakewood police officers, has a long criminal record punctuated by violence, erratic behavior and concerns about his mental health.

Nine years ago, then-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons, commuting his lengthy prison sentence over the protests of prosecutors.

“This is the day I’ve been dreading for a long time,” Larry Jegley, prosecuting attorney for Arkansas’ Pulaski County said tonight when informed that Clemmons was being sought for questioning in connection with the killings.

Clemmons’ criminal history includes at least five felony convictions in Arkansas and at least eight felony charges in Washington. The record also stands out for the number of times he has been released from custody despite questions about the danger he posed.

Huckabee, who ran for the Republican presidential nomination last year, issued a statement tonight calling the slaying of the police officers “a horrible and tragic event.”

If Clemmons is found responsible, “it will be the result of a series of failures in the criminal justice system in both Arkansas and Washington State,” Huckabee said.

As Michelle reminds us, it’s not the first time Huckabee had reason to regret his generosity:

New sources, including an advisor to Gov. Mike Huckabee, have told the Arkansas Times that Huckabee and a senior member of his staff exerted behind-the-scenes influence to bring about the parole of rapist Wayne Dumond, who Missouri authorities say raped and killed a woman there shortly after his parole.

Huckabee has denied a role in Dumond’s release, which has become an issue in his race for re-election against Democrat Jimmie Lou Fisher. Fisher says Huckabee’s advocacy of Dumond’s freedom, plus other acts of executive clemency, exhibit poor judgment. In response, Huckabee has shifted responsibility for Dumond’s release to others, claiming former Gov. Jim Guy Tucker made Dumond eligible for parole and saying the Post Prison Transfer Board made the decision on its own to free Dumond.

But the Times’ new reporting shows the extent to which Huckabee and a key aide were involved in the process to win Dumond’s release. It was a process marked by deviation from accepted parole practice and direct personal lobbying by the governor, in an apparently illegal and unrecorded closed-door meeting with the parole board (the informal name by which the Post Prison Transfer Board is known).

Six weeks after his release, Dumond raped and killed Carol Sue Shields, and was suspected of killing Sara Andrasek.  This came up in the 2008 Republican primaries, and Huckabee argued that clemency was a difficult matter to judge.  He also laid off considerable blame on prosecutors and his predecessor at the time, and claimed that he had little to do with the Dumond parole.  He doesn’t have the luxury of that argument with Clemmons.  Huckabee signed the commutation, and he did so over the objections of the prosecutors.

Unfortunately for Huckabee, he has two big political problems now.  First, clemency decisions go directly to judgment, as Michael Dukakis learned the hard way in 1988 with the Willie Horton work-furlough controversy.  In that case, Dukakis didn’t make the decision specifically to let Horton out of prison, but backed the program that did.  In this case, Huckabee personally freed Clemmons, and did so with full knowledge of the risks.  That is a very legitimate reason to question Huckabee’s judgment, and his attempt to back away from that decision in his statement doesn’t speak well to his sense of responsibility, either, although Clemmons’ subsequent release from armed-robbery convictions after his clemency spreads that responsibility around.

Second, before Huckabee can get into a general election, he has to win a nomination — and he has to convince conservatives to back him.  That will be very difficult if Huckabee is seen as weak on crime.  A general election electorate might be more sympathetic to a generous use of executive clemency, but Huckabee won’t find that in a Republican primary, where law and order is one of the central tenets of the GOP.

As soon as Huckabee enters the Republican primaries, expect his opponents to make Maurice Clemmons Exhibit A for an argument against Huckabee’s judgment.  And expect it to be effective.

Update: Joe Carter, who worked for Huckabee’s presidential campaign, has an excellent essay on why Huckabee’s personal strength of charitable action is the reason he will never be President:

Reflections on a politician by former campaign staffers should always be taken cum grano salis. This is no exception. While I’m still a fan of the governor I don’t believe he—nor anyone else from the 2008 primary season (from Palin to Romney to Giuliani to Paul)—has any chance of ever becoming President. Because of this, I don’t feel the need to either defend or condemn him. While the tragic chain of events that were set in place by his signing commutations are not entirely—or even primarily—the fault of the governor, he must bear a sufficient measure of responsibility. …

For instance, the politically prudent tactic would have been to simply refuse to grant any leniency—ever. Other governors with their sights set on higher offices had learned that doing nothing—even to correct obvious instances of injustice—was unlikely to cause any long-term political damage. Keeping an innocent man in prison is less harmful to an ambitious politician than freeing someone who may commit other crimes.

Huckabee would certain discover this political reality the hard way. Initially, I chalked it up solely to extraordinary political courage. Later, I tempered this view when I realized that this courage was mixed with a large dose of cluelessness. The governor seemed genuinely surprised that he was held responsible for the criminal acts committed by those whose sentences he had commuted as governor. It was as if he believed that simply having noble intentions and a willingness to make tough decisions would provide political cover. The notion that he should be accountable for future crimes committed by these men seemed as foreign to him as the idea that he should refuse all leniency.

His naivete about how his actions would be judged was compounded by his own belief in the nobleness of his motives. Huckabee was—and likely remains—a true believer in the concept of restorative justice. Like many politicians who latch onto ideas that support their worldview, however, he was enthusiastic about the general theory while failing to grasp the nuances of its application.

I think Joe nails this.  In my opinion, Huckabee would never have signed off on the commutations if he really believed that he was releasing dangerous men.  The problem is that his judgment on that was flawed, and Huckabee didn’t take the counsel of wiser men on some of these cases.  That goes directly to executive judgment.

Update: Andrew Barr has more about reaction from conservative bloggers, myself included, at Politico.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Conservatives focus on results rather than good intentions.

Not always true. I’ve seen numerous people here that disagree with President Bush on certain issues but still defend him on the basis that he was a good guy with good intentions, which I think he was.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Here ya go, gorgeous. Tell your hubby to stay safe. I know you worry about him everytime he goes on shift.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

This hit me hard yesterday when I saw it…..law enforcement uses their ‘going to coffee’ as a calm before the storm. It is the time they clear their head before heading out to protect the public. For this scumbag to come in and shoot them while they were ‘sitting ducks’ makes me sick. My husband talks about ‘going to coffee’ and the shift go out and talk about what happened the night before and what not. I can’t imagine NOW having to worry about my husband just going to a restaurant for coffee.
It is sick, King. Thank you. Your concern means the world.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Will you give a f*cking rest here.
If you don’t want to discuss the ineptness of Huckabee, why don’t you concentrate on the families of these three men and one woman that were gunned down for wearing a badge.
You are taking away from the seriousness of this issue and making this thread all about you.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM

By the way, I’m not saying what you imply I am. I have great respect for the USA and the CIA. I’ve consistently defended the CIA in particular from allegations of “torture” and the argument that we are some how morally equivalent to AQ because we waterboard. So, your characterization of me is waaaaaaaaaay off.
Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Oh yes the intertubes abound with stories of your heroism in defending the CIA. Legion are your posts here extolling American Exceptionalism, there is not even a whiff of moral relativism coming from you, and there is a plethora of pictures of you throwing your body in front of the hordes of dirty smelly hippies to protect the CIA from being overrun by Code Pink.
Yes if it were not for this scrawny little gamer boy Cindy Sheehan and Code Pink cronies would have destroyed Western Civilization.
And people say I have a big ego.

LincolntheHun on November 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Will you give a f*cking rest here.

If you don’t like my responses, why don’t you stop acting like a raving e-lunatic, stop repeating yourself over and over, and stop reading what I have to say. Maybe, just maybe, if you took the time to read what I’m saying in its proper context, you will see that it’s very relevant to this conversation. I’m not going to allow you to bully me and tell me to stop posting here because I’m not acting like you, a mindless drone, and repeating the same drivel that everybody else is. Who knew conservatives would be so intolerant to independent thought. What a disgrace.

Ironic that you tell me to focus on the families when that was my ENTIRE point. Focusing on the victims. Not jumping up and down and celebrating the fact that Huckabee’s career is over.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Huckabee could still run only and get 30 percent due to GOP voter that doesn’t pay attention. This will not be in the MSM unless he becomes nominee.

The MSM only paid attention to Huck when he bashed Romney.

He was mad at Romney for making commercials about him pardoning so many.

PrezHussein on November 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Just another in the long list of reasons I won’t vote for Huckabee. He seems like a nice guy, but he clearly lacks the leadership qualities necessary and as this clemency debacle highlights the judgement to be President. His record in Arkansas isn’t one of limited government either.

chicagojedi on November 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Liberals are full of good intentions but the consequences of their actions always end up doing more harm than good.

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Not only that about the consequences, liberals always (ALWAYS) act surprised about said bad consequences.

And the kicker is that THEY NEVER LEARN!

Sir Napsalot on November 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

LincolntheHun on November 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Wow, you are a moron. I post about the fact that I support the USA and CIA (you were originally implying that I didn’t) and you respond with this nonsense? I didn’t claim that my efforts in defending them through speech was heroic. I was countering your erroneous assumption that I blame them for the actions of others.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Here is the title of the Thread: Will Washington shooting damage Huckabee bid?

That is what it was supposed to be about. Not the Afghan Rebels. Not Osama. Not you. HornetSting and everyone else have been on topic. You have tried to hijack this thread away from the original subject.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Why don’t you go out in the yard and rake leaves until you can come back and discuss the thread topic.

WILL WASHINGTON SHOOTING DAMAGE HUCKABEE BID

Not a blasted thing in there about Osama/Afghanistan.

thomasaur on November 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Will Washington shooting damage Huckabee bid?

That’s like saying will a broken vase hold water?
He was already damaged goods, he was useless as a candidate. Best he step aside and let real politicians run for office, and not wannabe’s…

right2bright on November 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Narutorywall on November 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Narutosimon on November 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Narutalife343 on November 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Narutomoby on November 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Interesting….

ladyingray on November 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Why are you all arguing with this troll…it is SYBIL!

ladyingray on November 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Not a blasted thing in there about Osama/Afghanistan.

thomasaur on November 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

There’s not a blasted thing in here about raking leaves *gasp* you went off topic.

Your guys’ reasoning and logic is worse than the average liberal. You complain about my comparison because you don’t agree with my message. There have been plenty of posts here that haven’t been directly related to that topic that you just brought up. In fact, I only started going into Osama/Afganistan deeper because people questioned the accuracy of the statement (ignoring the actual point).

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

This didn’t hurt Huckabee’s chances with me because I wasn’t going to vote for him anyway.

zoyclem on November 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I think his heart was in the right place. Was it a terrible decision? Of course it was.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Funny you state that…Huck is a Christian right?
It is plain we don’t judge the heart, that is God’s work, we are called to judge the actions.
So by your admittance, he should be harshly judged for his actions, and as a “Christian” I am sure he would agree…add to that that the commandment was also that leaders be judged more harshly, it is plain to see…Huck has got to go.
Thanks for agreeing with me and understanding the difference between action and “heart”.

right2bright on November 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

So by your admittance, he should be harshly judged for his actions

I just don’t like to revel in the demise of others. It seems to me that a lot of people here are more interested in the fact that Huckabee is “toast” (better for other candidates!) than the fact that his poor judgment led to death. On whether or not to Huckabee is culpable for this: I just hope this is a learning lesson for him, but I doubt he will ever be in a position again where his opinion will actually matter.

I better address the “main” topic though before I get attacked. No, of course he doesn’t have a shot anymore. *wipes forehead* That was close.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Not to be picky, but Palin wasn’t involved in the 2008 primary season.

Erich66 on November 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Funny you state that…Huck is a Christian right?

right2bright on November 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

On top of that, he was a PASTOR.

Seriously, what version of the Bible has Huck been using to make him think its the “Christian” thing to let violent criminals on the street!?

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Take your own advice, bloodclot.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Take your own advice, bloodclot.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Another off topic post from one of the resident topic enforcers. You would think you of all people would be the one to stay on topic. Strangely it was me who has focused in on Huckabee specifically since the bottom of the third and fourth page and continuing with my 4:42 PM. I guess this is what happens when you get caught up in group think.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Yes, Youngster. As long as you have yourself, you’ll never be alone.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Late to the party, but before this I wouldn’t have had a problem with the Huckster as President even though he is not my first choice. Now I really hope he doesn’t run.

Vigilante on November 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

You’re a one trick pony, gameboy. Maybe you should try a site with training wheels, maybe the HuffPost.
You’re out of your league here on HA.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

What Huck doesn’t get is that the MSM which likes him now will turn on him if he gets the nomination. Look at how they liked McCain in the primary than turned on after he won Florida.

lavell12 on November 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM

My prayers will always be with you and your husband Hornet. I have loved ones in uniform, my oldest nephew is only 23, recent college grad and police academy grad who is a new police officer for one of the barrier islands down here at the South Jersey shore. He’s hoping to get into the Atlantic City PD, which scares the life out of me.

God Bless you and your family. I will never be able to thank all the men and women in law enforcement and the military for their service enough.

margategop517 on November 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM

You’re out of your league here on HA.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

“Ha,” indeed. Your comment is laughable and your references to childrens toys are lame and predictable. I’m out of my league? Well thank God. If this is your “league,” who, pray tell, would want to be in it?

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM
I post about the fact that I support the USA and CIA

Our government trained Osama bin Laden under the Reagan administration
Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I am sure the CIA can feel the love…..

and you respond with this nonsense?

Oh you do not understand unless spoken in trollie or maybe you would prefer Cosplay or Furry?
Sorry do not swing that way. Both my testicles have descended. If you eat all of your vegetables it will happen to you someday.
Maybe.

I didn’t claim that my efforts in defending them through speech was heroic.

You defending the CIA with what you way cool Frogger score? Your tricked out Atari? Oh you blog under an assumed name and are really David Frum the CIA’s mighty defender. ‘Cause there is no CIA defense coming from Narutoboy here.

Wow, you are a moron.

Words hurt you know. If I respected wormy little gamer boys and had no self esteem because I have never left the comfort of mommies kitchen my feelings might be slightly dented and I would have to put on my “sad” face for a minute. Maybe even two.

LincolntheHun on November 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Narutoboy…give it up. Go AWAY.

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM

margategop517 on November 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Bless your nephew, margate. The only thing you can do is put him in God’s hands, otherwise, it will drive you insane.
This ‘mercy’ of Huckprah’s, using religion to release a murderer on the streets, is self serving and sickening.
Huckprah has blood on his hands.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Come on kj, everyone knows that we trained and supported the mujahadeen, didn’t you see Rambo III? Grenade tipped arrows and all.

thomasaur on November 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Come to think of it, Huckabee probably figured Clemmons was just framing himself to prove the inherent unfairness of our justice system.

RINO in Name Only on November 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Hope this finishes Huckabee, his Fox show is deluding too many well intentioned but clueless conservatives into thinking he is conservative. He still rates high in Iowa and he shouldn’t be.

Unfortunately, the man has to try to sleep at night with the deaths of these 4 officers on his back; I’m worried that like the aide wrote – He doesn’t get it. Who wants to put the absolute power of Pardon in his hands?

mngirl on November 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

You’re out of your league here on HA.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Uh, I’m not the one that can’t seem to discuss the thread~not just throw out random crap that doesn’t have anything to do with the subject at hand. Just because you want to bend it that way, doesn’t mean it will be.
As far as your insults toward Hot Air, HA, if you don’t like it here, I’m sure you are free to leave.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Come to think of it, oh radiant one, would you please cite your sources for your argument? Thanks ever so much. And, by the way, if you don’t like it here, leave.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Looks like “The boss” is listening in on the police scanner and live blogging it on her page.

That said… I think it’s reasonable to presume the following

1. Suicide By Cop: If this guy is not afraid to openly kill 4 cops in a coffee shop… I’m pretty sure, he isn’t afraid of a few more. And seems the word is, this guy is slowly bleeding out, so he’s going to have to stop eventually, and chances are, he’s going to try and go down fighting, taking as many with him. Don’t be surprised if this ends with SWAT or a regular cop pumping lead into him in a firefight.

2. Death by bleed out (aka: suicide by cop, version 2): he’s wounded, and according to Michelle’s live blogging, they’ve found some blood that hasn’t dried yet. There’s a possible chance that the guy is going die by blood loss. Fitting end for the scum bag, to be killed by the cops he killed, from beyond the grave.

Razgriez on November 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

This scandal certainly should be laid, in part, at Huckabee’s feet.

Skipper50 on November 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I am sure the CIA can feel the love…..

I’ll assume you have some sort of mental disability. If your stupidity is due to an illness, then I can better understand your absolute lack of reasoning and intelligence. If not, well, I don’t know. Let me repeat my position again. Even a simpleton like you should understand this. Part of the CIA’s job is manipulate certain scenarios, whether that be through gathering intelligence, helping remove or supplant leaders, or training people to fight against other forces. That’s a fact. Sometimes bad things can arise from good intentions, as it did here. I am not demonizing the CIA by mentioning the fact. On the contrary, I said that they were just doing their job and made the decision to train these people in good faith. The fight against communism is a noble effort. Understand?

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Hey Hornet if I understand correctly your hubby is a cop. If so thank him for me they have a job that can be great and terrible.

LincolntheHun on November 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Back to the topic…you do agree that we can’t judge his heart, but we must judge his actions…and you stated his actions were pathetic.
So by your own admission, Huck should man up and admit that he not only made a horrible error, one that cost many lives, but they Huck must be held accountable…if one is to take the Christian perspective.
But if he relies purely on secular law, then what he did fits, and works within the secular law.
Where do you fit him…as a man hiding behind secular law…or a man who would uphold his religious tenets?

right2bright on November 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I am not bound by this articles title, topic enforcer. What I’m discussing does relate to the topic. Honestly, your b**tching here is a lot more off topic than what I’ve been posting.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I just don’t like to revel in the demise of others.

Reveling in someone’s personal demise is bad, I’ll give you that. Reveling in someone’s political demise is a whole ‘nother animal. We don’t want Huckabee in office exactly because he does things that make incidents like this happen. So when it turns out he can be linked to this tragedy, that means there’s a better chance of avoiding further tragedies by keeping him out of politics.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

While we’re glad he’s “toast”, I can tell you that very few people here are happy about it being “better for the other candidates”. It’s much more “anti-Huckabee” than “pro-someone else”.

RINO in Name Only on November 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Is that right, sweetheart. Tell me more about what Osama and Huckprah have in common?
You’re an idiot.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM

right2bright on November 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Definitely pathetic. And yes, I do agree that he should be held accountable. I assume “accountable” means not allowing him to advance any further in his political career, no? I think that’s a done deal. This is a problem a lot of people like him (extremely religious) face I’m sure. Sometimes you just have to use common sense.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I seriously don’t understand Huckabee’s perspective on violent crime and solutions.

That is why I would really want to hear more from him.

AnninCA on November 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM

The people that make a big deal out of this were never voting for Huckabee anyway. However many people that is.

They’re usually the delusional people that actually believe America can’t wait to vote for Sarah Palin.

Either one of them would get Mondaled if they ran against Obama. Especially Palin.

Moesart on November 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM
I’ll assume

Son you make this soooo easy.

And for how long did you work for the CIA, or will you reveal your secret sources…

Sometimes bad things can arise from good intentions,

Yea more Moral relativism. “It felt good” therefore it’s ok. WRONG! This was not a good intention gone awry this was deliberate stupidity that cost good people their lives. When people are celebrating is that this stupidity was exposed to all, and Huck will not be in a position to repeat these mistakes.

LincolntheHun on November 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I like the guy. He’s well-spoken, etc.

But I seriously do not understand his philosophy on this issue.

I think that violent crime is ONE area where liberals and conservatives have FINALLY joined hands. They are dangerous to let loose.

We’re over the 1960′s hope that these people would see the light.

We may debate fair trial practices, sufficient proof, and my personal pet peeve, over-jealous prosecutors….

But I don’t think we debate that we understand that violent people simply go on to commit even more violent crimes.

The only time I see questions about that is with kids. I’m not sure about them.

But this type of criminal?

Come on. This guy was bound to repeat.

AnninCA on November 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Most important, if Mike isn’t willing to really discuss this frankly and honestly, then get out of the way nationally.

Be a talk show host. That’s fine.

But get out of the way politically.

Let the grown-ups do business. There’s plenty of big issues in front of us to resolve. We have no time for characters who aren’t willing to address issues.

AnninCA on November 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM

G-bye Mike Huck-a-phony. Ultimately Mike would have caused an unnecessary and unhelpful distraction centered around social-conservatism. Social-cons win when “strict constructionist” judges are appointed, something supported even by notorious RINOs Rudy G. and John McCain. Social-cons lose when their religiously derived creationism and Biblically harsh judgements alienate otherwise persuadeable voters.

At this time when the need for fiscal conservatism is dire, the self-proclaimed social-con will not be missed. Sarah Palin may or may not be a social-con. Everybody is convinced that she is. She doesn’t seem to mind. The great thing about this part of the relationship between SP and her fans is that it does not need to be discussed. SP never needs to make a specific commitment to social-conservatism. She carries her commitment around with her.

Mike Huck-a-phony would have been falling all over himself, and will be yet, trying to claim the mantle of “true” social-con. Now, fewer will listen and not for as long.

G-bye Mike Huck-a-phony.

exdeadhead on November 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Reveling in someone’s political demise is a whole ‘nother animal.

RINO in Name Only on November 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Political Schadenfreude is perfectly acceptable!!

exdeadhead on November 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Exactly. I hope people learn that lesson from the 2008 elections and remeber that for the 2012 elections.

Mitt Romney lost precisely because people cared more about a candidate’s religion than his ability to get things done and not make stupid decisions like Mike Huckabee or John McCain.

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

You don’t need to work with an organization to know about the things that they do. What kind of ignorance is that? What I described is the basics of the CIA’s entire purpose. And no, I didn’t say it was ok. You seem to be reading what you want me to be say. What I JUST got finished saying was that I think he should be held accountable (his career is through anyways). However, I do feel that his intentions were good. That doesn’t necessarily mean the decision was smart, which it isn’t. If you truly believe that is the only reaction, you’re lying to yourself. A lot of people are happy about this because it helps their candidate of choice. Before today, I never saw any comments about Huckabee’s pardoning history. Maybe I was looking at the wrong threads.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Amen and thank you Hornet. Please give your husband an extra hug from someone else who truly appreciates what he does for all of us and to you because I know what you go through in worry. God Bless.

margategop517 on November 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I posted this information earlier.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 3:14

Please read the following excerpt from
The United States did not “create” Osama bin Laden
May 1, 2009/america.gov

Marc Sageman worked closely with the Afghan mujahideen as one of Milt Bearden’s case officers, from 1987 to 1989. In his book, Understanding Terror Networks, he writes:

No U.S. official ever came in contact with the foreign volunteers. They simply traveled in different circles and never crossed U.S. radar screens. They had their own sources of money and their own contacts with the Pakistanis, official Saudis, and other Muslim supporters, and they made their own deals with the various Afghan resistance leaders. Their presence in Afghanistan was very small and they did not participate in any significant fighting. (Understanding Terror Networks, pp. 57-58.)

The Central Intelligence Agency has issued a statement categorically denying that it ever had any relationship with Osama bin Laden. It stated, in response to the hypothetical question “Has the CIA ever provided funding, training, or other support to Usama Bin Laden?”:

No. Numerous comments in the media recently have reiterated a widely circulated but incorrect notion that the CIA once had a relationship with Usama Bin Laden. For the record, you should know that the CIA never employed, paid, or maintained any relationship whatsoever with Bin Laden (emphasis in original). submitted by kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM

What part of this did you not understand?

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 5:44 PM

What part of this did you not understand?

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 5:44 PM

“The point wasn’t even about Osama. You can take him out of the equation. Odds are some of those people we directly worked with during the Soviet invasion became terrorists or committed violent acts using weapons and skills they had obtained. I mean it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to think that, because a lot of people in that region felt abandoned by our government after the war and THEY CHOSE (I emphasize that because you guys have tendency of misstating my points) to associate themselves with bad people. That’s basically what happened with Osama and why he started seeing us as evil.” – Me

What part of that don’t you understand?

I read what you posted. I’m skeptical, particularly of the first part. On the bio that I referred to, they interviewed some of the U.S. agents that that were involved and they said there was involvement.

And, I thought everybody was telling me to stop talking about Osama? So why are those same people bringing him back into the discussion. Strange.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Sarah Palin does not equate birth control with abortion, and thus it’s unlikely that she’s an extremist socialcon.

Simona on November 30, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM

When Huck said Clinton wasn’t a bad govenor, that was enough for me!

p51d007 on November 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM

[three off topic paragraphs about Osama snipped]

And, I thought everybody was telling me to stop talking about Osama?

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

We were, but you are doing it wrong. Here’s how you do it: keep on topic. Your dozens of postings about Osama can go in the next Osama thread. In this case the topic is “Will Washington shooting damage Huckabee bid?”

Let me get you restarted:

You obviously liked Mike Huckabee. How does it feel to watch your boy go down in flames like this? Where is the Narutoboy Huckabee vote going to shift its allegiance?

Remember not to include anything off-topic in your response.

Everyone else is reminded to not feed the trolls.

cool breeze on November 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM

From the Fox story…

Clemmons, who was released from custody in Washington just seven days ago, had been jailed in Pierce County on a pending charge of second-degree rape of a child. Using a bail bondsman, Jail Sucks Bail Bonds, Clemmons posted $150,000 — only $15,000 of which was his own money — and secured his release on the pending rape charge.

How can we spin this recent escapade with “The Man” and make it all Huckabee’s fault too.
Hmm…
Hey, I know.. Boooooosh!

UncleOlaf on November 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM

“My point is: Until you cite your sources, this is nothing but supposition, genius.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM”

Fine. Put him aside. Take Ali Mohamed as an example.

“An FBI special agent from 1977 to 2002, Cloonan started working Al Qaeda cases in the mid-1990s. In this interview, he explains why he believes the FBI’s method of interrogation is successful. He describes how the FBI cultivated former Al Qaeda operatives Jamal al-Fadl and Ali Mohammed as cooperative sources in the years before 9/11.” – description from PBS interview

Mohamed basically did what Osama did, which is turn on the government. He has been described as bin Laden’s “trainers.” Apparently, he went “missing” after being charged.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM

It’s a shame that this is being used to hurt Huckabee when people should be focused on, I don’t know, THE KILLER!

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Perhaps he wouldn’t be “THE KILLER” if Huckabee hadn’t let him out of jail!

Hobbes on November 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

cool breeze on November 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I was “on topic” but other members continued posting about Osama after I had stopped. Keep up.

No, actually, I never was a Huckabee supporter, and I’m still not. My problem is with people focusing on the “going down in flames part” instead of the fact that lives have been lost.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I’m sorry to say, yes, this will affect his future political aspirations adversely. Conservatives and the death penalty go back a long way. This and some other views regarding illegal immigration will take him out of the running. Too bad, I like him.

princetrumpet on November 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I’m no Huck fan but don’t use this horrible murderous act to attack Huckabee. Huck was wrong to let this go but don’t use this as a weapon against him, when there are more important issues with this murderous act.

lavell12 on November 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM

We won’t unless he plays the religion card against Mitt’s Mormonism, and then we’ll rip his head off.

And I say that as a Palin fan, not a Mitt.

Sapwolf on November 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

No, actually, I never was a Huckabee supporter, and I’m still not.

Wow, does that sound alcoholic! I think you’re in the denial stage.

Still not??? What would it take? A few more crime sprees? He’s pardoned more than enough for that.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Anyone who reads this thread can see that is not true, and quit trying to change the subject, which is “Will Washington shooting damage Huckabee bid?”, not the tragedy itself.

So really, where is the Narutoboy Huckabee vote going now?

cool breeze on November 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Huck is done. He was already leaning against running, and now any primary opponents have a new, very powerful commercial. My only question is whether he’ll still be credible enough that his endorsement in Iowa would matter. He is popular there, and could certainly help someone like Palin lock up the values voters if he’s still credible.

Shotgun Messiah on November 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Huck, Don’t give up your Fox gig. Playing bass is the most noise your ever going to make again.

chickasaw42 on November 30, 2009 at 7:20 PM

cool breeze on November 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Oh, it’s not? Scroll up to my comment at 4:42. It is related to the topic and had stopped talking about Osama. The other members comment at 4:45, however, isn’t (far from it, too.) You obviously can not read at all.

And no, genius, I’m not in “denial.” I don’t like Huckabee as a political candidate and never have. He was not my choice in the ’08 election.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Huckabee who??

He’s done. The left will beat up on him for all the usual reasons, the right because he is an idiot.

HBowmanMD on November 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Ed, you visited Branson MO this past summer where the 3rd Huckabee commutation or pardon has just been convicted of murder. That is THREE of Huckabee’s screw-ups that have committed murder in ONE county in Missouri.

nelsonknows on November 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

And no, genius, I’m not in “denial.” I don’t like Huckabee as a political candidate and never have. He was not my choice in the ‘08 election.
Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM
So, your strategy of hijacking the thread and trying to say the U.S. supported Osama was strictly a ego-driven move. When called on it, you told commenters that you did not have to stick to the subect of the Thread. Then, when forced to prove your assertions, you dropped Osama to quote an interview from the Liberal agenda driven PBS Program, Frontline, posted on 10/18/05, claiming that one of the Al Queda operatives mentioned in the interview,was one of bin Laden’s “trainers”. You expended all this energy and bandwidth simply to espouse a viewpoint irrevelant to the subject of the Thread. Nice.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM

The guy being interviewed was an FBI special agent. What does the source (PBS) matter in this? I can pull up dozens more, all credible. Do you have an actual argument?

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM

My point is that you hijacked a Thread because you did not like the subject. By the way, he is a FBI Agent being interviewed by people with a very well-known definite Liberal agenda, using his interview to back up their belief system.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

That is why I would really want to hear more from him.

AnninCA on November 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I heard enough from him in the primaries in 2008, and he basically split the conservative vote with Romney, “giving” us McCain as the leftover candidate against Obama…

I’ve heard enough…

GOV H: keep you day job at FNC; you’ve done enough damage…

Khun Joe on November 30, 2009 at 7:50 PM

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

“Associated Press

NEW YORK – When the Green Berets needed insight on the Middle East, they turned to one of the US Army’s own: Sgt. Ali Mohammed.

When Osama bin Laden wanted help training troops and raising money for his al-Qaida terrorist network, he enlisted the same man, known as “Abu Mohammed ali Amriki,” or “Mohammed the American.”

Satisfied?

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 7:53 PM

And this one American Traitor proves we’re responsible for bin Laden? And this has what to do with the subject of this Thread?

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

How do we know that the Huckabee is the secret weapon of the Left? The MSM is not covering this story! Huckabee, who is winning many of the 2012 GOP presidential polls should be public enemy number 1, but he isn’t. The Left wants Huckabee to be the nominee so bad that they are turning a blind eye to his many inadequacies just like they did with Obama. Can anyone even imagine a scenario where Romney or Palin are in the same boat as Huckabee and the MSM doesn’t go crazy shouting about it from the rooftops? Check and mate Huckster.

dnlchisholm on November 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

It proves that good intentions can go terribly wrong sometimes. It proves that the people we trust and put our faith in could turn at any moments notice. I link it to this because few of you would fault our government for supporting people that have (unfortunately) turned into terrorists and killers later on. In these cases where we were fighting against communists and such, I don’t fault them, either. Huckabee is in the same position as government officials who have to face terrorists that were once allies. True, the reward and significance of getting aid in war is much greater than releasing some criminal because you’re trying to be compassionate and think he has reformed, but there are similarities there.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM

dnichisholm on November 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I think the Left know that Huckabee is toast now; remember it is mainly Republican members who will determine who get the 2012 GOP nomination in the primaries.

The Left is clearly disappointed at these turn of events because of the perception it will give Sarah a leg up. And to boot they have so say who put themselves forward as a dark horse. Of course they could always get behind Romney but I get the impression that I don’t think they feel that Mitt can get the job done against Sarah.

A bad two weeks for the Obama war room.

technopeasant on November 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM

That guy is one sick son-of-a-b*tch and, yes, I’m referring to Huckabee.

AcronisF on November 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Focus on this: If it wasn’t for Huckabee, THE KILLER would be in jail serving a 95 year sentence. There would be no reason to focus on him at all. Heck of a job Huckee.

mizflame98 on November 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM

If Huck had not stuck his nose in in 08, Fred Thompson would be in the WH right now!

ConservativePartyNow on November 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Oh Puleeze! Thompson wasn’t even taking it seriously. He was my first choice, but he sorely disappointed me by playing around with the election.

mizflame98 on November 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Well, if it were TX, he’d be gone, since we have an express lane.

thebookkeeper on November 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Well, if it were TX, he’d be gone, since we have an express lane.

Speed on, Lone Star State. Speed on.

EyeSurgeon on November 30, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Huckabee was just on O’Reilly-what a pathetic interview. Huckabee didn’t have to make any excuses-O’Reilly did it for him. O’Reilly placed all the criticism and blame on the Judges in Washington. He told Huckabee a half dozen times what a stand up guy he was for appearing on his show. With a puff ball interview like that I’m sure Huckabee will be glad to appear anytime.

Goodale on November 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Huck was just spinning like a ballerina in the “No spin zone”.

Pathetic.

portlandon on November 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

ConservativePartyNow on November 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Umm…Fred would NOT have been in the White House. Neither would Rudy Guiliani. Neither would McCain.

It would have been Mitt Romney.

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Huck was just spinning like a ballerina in the “No spin zone”.

Pathetic.

portlandon on November 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Bill O’Reily will catch HELL for that interview.

Watch the e-mails on the show tomorrow.

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM

TITLE: A man murdered police officers. Let’s blame Huck.

Ed, in your eagerness to damage your political opposition (or to please somebody who hates Mike Huckabee) you reveal yourself as a man with a double-standard. Why? Because in less than 24 hrs after this horrible tragedy you have already made your decision, you have already reached your “conclusion” about Gov. Huckabee. I mean, your self-righteousness oozes off your post, “Huckabee is clueless. He should have known the heart of a 17 year old kid. This proves he is weak on crime, naive, conservatives won’t vote for him, blah, blah.” Nevermind Huckabee approved the death penalty 16 times more than any other governor in Arkansas state’s history and the crime rate went down in his state while he was governor. Or that he strongly supports the effort into Iraq and Afghanistan, the surge, wants to increase the defense budget, keep the military strong, won’t back down against Iran, is a strong supporter of Israel. CLEARLY, these are NOT the positions of a man who is soft on crime! Your post is such a gross distortion of what this man really thinks and believes Ed.

Folks, this is a horrible and tragic event. Plain and simple. Four police officers were murdered by a coward. We are grieving. Families are grieving. Nobody should not be playing politics with this. It’s sickening.

Speaking of sickening, here is that double standard

In the first 24 hrs after Nidal Malik Hasan murdered 13 fellow Soldiers and wounded 30 others during the worst mass killing on a US military base you had a totally different view about forming an opinion early. In fact, you were cautioning us not to make any conclusions until we had more facts:

“Update: I agree with Rick Moran to some extent that casting this as an example of a pending wave of Islamic jihad in the US is just a wee bit premature, as well as a pending wave of fraggings over US war policy, etc etc etc. Hasan appears to be a lunatic whose motivations — at least as far as we know at this point — are entirely his own delusions. We shouldn’t be afraid to report the facts, but we should be wary about drawing wide-reaching conclusions from them until we have a lot more certainty.”

Eight days later after the Fort Hood shooting the poster BL@KBIRD asked you:

“Ed, I thought you declared him a “murderous lunatic” with “religious delusions” last Saturday while you were cautioning us not to make any conclusions. Have you changed your position on Hasan since last week?”

To which you replied:

“Blackbird, I said wait for the evidence, which began rolling out in earnest this week. I also said he COULD HAVE BEEN a “murderous lunatic” with “religious delusions,” and that we should wait to see what else comes out. There is a difference.”

A difference indeed. We should wait for the facts before we call “Allahu Akbar” Hasan an Islamic “Jihadist,” but we should not wait for the facts before accusing Mike Huckabee of being soft on crime, inconsiderate, and holding him responsible for the choices somebody else makes a decade later! Pathetic.

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Clearly, Huckabee is now complete toast, as far as electability is concerned. Consider him a goofy uncle, in the GOP at best from now on.

He wasn’t much of a candidate before, but this continued nonesense like “rehabilitation” has anything to do with the justice system should sink ANY candidate.

seanrobins on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

huckabee = mccain = dole = We need someone to step up.

father on November 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I was wondering when you, another HuckBot, would show up. Now you’re here.

Where is VFT to support Huckster too!?

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I hope so. This is appalling. The same ‘conservatives’ who defend him would scream about Obama or rival Republicans if they did this. The sinister minister needs to go.

Dr B on November 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Ed didn’t reach conclusions. The witnesses, the police and the blood trail all confirm that it is the same Maurice Clemmons that Mike Huckabee allowed to be released into the public.

And as everyone on HA explained before, the logic is real simple: Had the Huckster not granted Clemency to Clemmons, he wouldn’t have been able to kill FOUR police officers.

Nevermind Huckabee approved the death penalty 16 times more than any other governor in Arkansas state’s history and the crime rate went down in his state while he was governor. apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

All that is irrelevant now.

Mike Huckabee has granted over 1,000 clemency to criminals.

A woman was raped and murdered becuase Huckabee let Wayne Dumond out of prison.

Four police officers are dead because Huckabee allowed Maurice Clemons out of prison.

So, it doesn’t matter what Huckabee did or has done.

His political career is OVER.

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Irrelevant.

Four cops are dead. Those deaths are traceable to Huckabee’s decision to allow the killer to be free.

That’s what is relevant.

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

There is no distortion going on here. Mike Huckabee is clearly soft on crime despite anything else because Huckabee went against the State District Attorney’s objections in allowing Wayne Dummond and Maurice Clemmons to be released.

Had he listened to the legal advice of the State DA, 5 people would be alive today. Huckabee ignored that advice.

So, Huck has nobody to blame but himself for the shitstorm he’s in.

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

The fact you’re trying to clean up Huckabee’s image while acknowledging the tragedy is sickening.

The tragedy wouldn’t have occurred had Huckabee not allowed a career criminal to walk the street. There is a clear chain of events that lead right back to Mike Huckster.

That’s not a hard concept to grasp.

Is your nose so far up Huck’s ass that you’re blind to what Huck has done?

Speaking of sickening, here is that double standard

apacalyps on November 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

There is no double standard here, Huckbot.

Conservative Samizdat on November 30, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Sure, the guy could be forgiven by those so inclined, and his sentence could be commuted to life. But these X times losers should not be let out.

But, I don’t hear about much if any “stimulus” money being spent to build more sorely needed prisons.

These Libtards and RINOs get brainwashed by movies like the Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile way too easily.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

God save us from such dangerous bleeding heart fools! What a menace to society this fool was :

“Clemmons was among 1,033 people (!) who were pardoned or had their sentences reduced during Huckabee’s 10 1/2 years as governor, a number that far surpasses that of his three predecessors combined. “ http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5if_tdQrE5B6tvgSYXBtfmfMOLEwwD9CA5QKG0

No doubt he felt all warm & fuzzy each time, thinking he was such a true Christian giving these felons a 5th or 10th chance. IMO he deserves to be hog tied before the families of his indirect victims so they can spit on him!

No doubt some will say “What about all the ones of the 1,033 that didn’t go back to a life of crime? I say, considering that we should reasonably believe they all deserved the time originally given to them, their freedom was not worth the lives of victims & families that got destroyed by those that did revert. Not even one innocent life.

These bleeding hearts help bring the death of civilization because our enemies are not soft-hearted in the least.

Chessplayer on November 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM