Video: Huckabee and O’Reilly on the cop-killer clemency

posted at 9:53 pm on November 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

“[S]oftball treatment,” declares the boss, wondering what happened to the patented O’Reilly third-degree vis-a-vis Huck’s long, infamous record of clemencies while governor. Instead, half the clip is spent complaining about Washington’s judges — which is well deserved, but not the reason Fox viewers were tuning in tonight. In Huck’s defense, he does accept some responsibility here, and assuming he’s telling the truth about the judge’s recommendations — more details will be forthcoming in the next few days as journalists dig in, no doubt — he’s not the only Arkansas official who thought Clemmons’s sentence should have been commuted. Pay attention to what he says around 1:45, though, about having received no response from the prosecutor at the time about whether clemency was warranted. The prosecutor in the case certainly has a strong opinion now:

“It was not something I was pleased with at the time,” said Larry Jegley, who prosecuted Clemmons for aggravated robbery and other charges in Pulaski County, Arkansas, regarding the commutation. “I would be most distressed if this is the same guy.”

Strange that he would have kept silent at the time when invited to speak up. Meanwhile, from the same article, here’s how Clemmons petitioned Huckabee. Note the boss’s reminder in the last update to her post about pastor friends of Huck’s knowing “which buttons to push”:

“I come from a very good Christian family and I was raised much better than my actions speak,” Clemmons said in a clemency application brief to then-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in 2000. “I’m still ashamed to this day for the shame my stupid involvement in these crimes brought upon my family’s name.”…

“I have never done anything good for God, but I’ve prayed for him to grant me in his compassion the grace to make a start,” he said. “Now, I’m humbly appealing to you for a brand new start.”

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Never liked Huck, something about him just seemed insincere, and this merely confirms it. Maybe it’s because he looks a little bit like the bad President Logan from season 5 and 6 of 24…

SG1_Conservative on December 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Talk about insincere – O’reilly getting into his classic O’reilly rage at the judges while in literally the same breath saying oh Huck it’s not your fault your such a swell guy. Not to mention O’Reilly didn’t event attempt to address the pattern of 1000+ pardons/commutations for violent criminals. Hack hack hack hack hack.

Simona on December 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Huck has smarmy written on his forehead.

He’s a phoney preacherman from the get go.

Like Slick Willie, Huck is a good schuck and jive artist but he doesn’t have Clinton’s talent.

rickyricardo on December 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

You are OBVIOUSLY a Huckafan. It shows.

I have worked for politicians in similar circumstances (not clemency or commutation related but similar to their positions). THE first rule, when dealing with this type of situation, is to be the FIRST to express sympathy to the family(ies) involved.

Mr. Huck did not do this (See first SMARMY, I am not responsible statement)!

Second, AT LEAST acknowledge an “Error” MIGHT have been made and that you WILL be reviewing everything and everyone involved in your decision making process.

Mr. Huck did not do this, either,

Third, and in his case most importantly, if the buck (or in this case – the Huck) stopped with you – ADMIT IT! That’s right, ADMIT you screwed up – and explain WHY (doesn’t matter the reason – explain your reasoning).

Voters are strange, so is the overall electorate. If you feel you had a good reason to do something and can EXPLAIN it, rationally or compellingly(whether it really makes sense or not), voters MAY give you a break.

Dissembling NEVER works – Not everyone is a believer or STUPID

FloridaBill on December 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Sensible people recognize that this scumbag would never had the chance to murder these officers if he had served his sentence. Sensible people also recognize the fact that there was a reason that he received the “harsh sentence”.

Johan Klaus on December 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM

“I don’t think anybody watching thinks it’s your fault.”

BFS.

Maquis on December 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Everyone here wants to nail huck to a cross. Seems to me that his actions were reasonable given the longer sentence and the agreement with the judges. He reduced his sentence, he didn’t set him free. It’s easy to look back and find fault.

Maybe this is just another huckhunt.

therightscoop on December 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

No way no how. Huck’s heart bleeds too much for poor, unloved, repentant criminals, to the tune apparently of 1,000 of them or more. Cripes, that’s got to be a record for governors granting clemency.

The POTUS must hold the protection of the USA and its inhabitants as a priority. Huck has demonstrated that he’s not capable of that. Although he comes off sounding like he’s a hawk, when the chips are down I think his ingrained Christian values would trump all other duties and Constitutional mandates.

Sometimes a person has to do the hard things, even when they’re unpalatable. There are too many uncivilized human animals in this world.

Unlike many Libs/Progs, I place a very high price on the value of decent human beings. I don’t “brake for animals” if I happen to have a passenger in the car with me. Oh, I’ll try to avoid an accident if safely possible, but I simply don’t brake for the sake of not killing a non-human creature if there is any way that harm could or would come to a person riding with me.

Huck should have put the brakes on many times as governor, but he misinterpreted his Christian training and went overboard. And people died, or were grievously maimed or injured by incurably psychotic human beasts.

It’s that old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. It happened twice. No way, no how he gets a shot again with Presidential pardons and clemency!

KendraWilder on December 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM

KendraWilder on December 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM

It’s interesting. Right now he’s running an almost perfect record on clemencies of say 1031 perfect and only 2 that went awry.

That could change in the future, but I’d say for 10 1/2 years as governor, that’s not a terrible record.

therightscoop on December 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

therightscoop on December 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

“Went awry”? Tell that to the families of the four officers.

Johan Klaus on December 1, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Maybe this is just another huckhunt.

therightscoop on December 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

No. As I said in the other thread:

This guy had problems before and during and after the trial for which he received such a long sentence. The reason he received such a long sentence is because he went on a 7-month long crime spree that included multiple counts of armed robbery and such. He was very clearly violent and according to the Seattle Times, a big aprt of the reason Huck granted clemency (against the expressed wishes of the entire prosecution) was because Clemmons claimed to have “changed” while in jail.

and

At the time of conviction, he was already serving a 45 year sentence for previous convictions relating to the same 7-month crime spree. The math adds up when you consider that the 100+ years he was sentenced to came from multiple convictions. Add into that his violent behavior during the trials and it shows a much different picture than the one some are trying to paint. This guy wasn’t convicted of just one bad thing at age 16 or 17. He was convicted of many bad things; and even after being caught and imprisoned, he continued this violent behavior.

All of this, coupled with the vehement protests of the prosecutors, should have indicated to any thinking person that this man was not fit for release.

Yes, Huckabee “reduced” his sentence. He reduced it down to 11 years, which conveniently for Clemmons was almost the exact amount of time he’d already spent in prison.

mrflibbleisvryx on December 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Wow. Talk about a bad interview. Huckabee was already completely tarnished in my view, but my last remaining complement for o’Reilly is that he came down hard on idiot judges who let loose monsters on our streets. Now Huckabeee comes on after a monster he gave clemency to killed 4 cops and O’Reilly doesn’t have the stones to bite? Seriously, put O’Reilly at 4 and Glenn at 7 (central time). At least one of them is asking tough questions.

chicagojedi on December 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

That would require a first look.

BadgerHawk on November 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

You and me both.

My sympathy to the families of the victims.

So tragic.

I never considered him viable.

Yakko77 on December 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Three strikes and you’re out , Huckabeen, and you too o’reilly.

the_nile on December 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

A mushy-headed Christian is as worthless as a mushy-headed Liberal.

fred5678

I agree.

beachgirlusa on December 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

mrflibbleisvryx on December 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

And as I and one of your links said, the info you are copying and pasting is inaccurate and contradictory. Also, as to his alleged behavior in court – there is no proof that it happened, that the info is accurate. We do know he was never charged and convicted of it. Again, the sentencing of 95 years or 105 years was extremely egregious for what he was convicted of. I’m starting to believe that they use commutation to correct the sentencing down there because it is so out of line with the other states and feds.

No, he reduced it to 40 something years which made him parole eligible and then the parole board granted parole.

Blake on December 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

For what, a band to play at my sister’s wedding? Sure.

Jim Treacher on December 1, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Mr. Huckabee’s presidential aspirations are now officially over.

Remember Willie Horton?

Braindroppings on December 1, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Why did Gov. Huckabee subvert the judicial system so frequently? I would like to see a comparison of the number of pardons and clemencies by other governors. I am not suggesting that governors not have these options but if 1033 as noted above is correct, that’s excessive. To forgive and encourage your fellow man is laudable in most people but when public safety is suppose to be your top priority skepticism should be the order of the day. Especially when the prisons are full of those who are “innocent” or very very very sorry (they got caught).

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM

BOR looked worse. Big tough guy. right. What a pussy.

I’m with the boss.

LtE126 on December 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM

I never understood the Huckabee appeal and following. He and McCain were my last choices as contenders in ’08.

I have a love/hate relationship with O’Reilley. He has some interesting guests, but never lets ‘em talk. I spend half his show yelling “shut up Bill!”

SoldiersMom on December 1, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

It pains me to say this, but yes.

Buy Danish on December 1, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Talk about a broken system. So a guy that was sentenced to 100 years gets clemency and kills some cops and everyone is up in arms. The True Crime here is the message that is sent to all the wanna be thugs that see a guy get 100 years and seen him on the street. That message is sent no matter how well he behaves himself. And people wonder why thugs have no fear.

roflmao

donabernathy on December 1, 2009 at 7:19 AM

By their fruits shall ye know them. And cast not pearls before swine.

maverick muse on December 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM

A lovely definition of a Schmuck:

Schmuck, a Yiddish word, has a range of meaning depending on context. In its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing, in which case “dumb schmuck” is the appropriate expression.

A schmuck’s behavior ranges from pesky and inconsiderate, to obnoxious and manipulative. A schmuck’s personality type ranges from jerk to bastard.

Schmucky behavior also falls within a range of intentionality. Some schmucks carefully plan their bad behavior, some only a little, and some not at all. For example, the bastard may spend considerable time planning his bad deeds. In contrast, the dumb schmuck and the pesky behave badly without any forethought.

I remember the Governor who decided to stay in a race when he had no chance of winning just to spoil another man’s chances at winning. That is bad behavior to be a spoiler just to stop someone else from achieving when you cannot. If he wanted one of the others to win, he should have left the race and thrown his support to that individual, but he didn’t and that was a test of character for the man.

He promised fiscal conservatism when he came into office as Governor and ended up being the one getting a surtax on everything, so you could have some extra taxes with your previous taxes and even if you were poor you had to pay up. A fiscal conservative would have tightened government spending, not become a free spender. He went back on his stated outlook on governing and tried to become the big-hearted head of a NannyState that would help you decide what your best diet was, as he knew best. What a schmuck.

He reduced the sentences of killers, rapists and all sorts of unsavory characters, knowing that for many that change meant the difference between freedom in decade or freedom now. When you apply his 8% figure to 1200 reviews per year for clemency and commutation, that gets you 96 per year that he reduced or removed sentences from. He may be a dumb schmuck, but a schmuck he is in meddling with the process of Justice and handing out reduced sentances in such an easy manner, while that should be reserved for grave injustices when exonerating evidence appears or when trials create a miscarriage of justice and convict the innocent. Those hurt and killed by those he let out demonstrate that he had little forethought in his activity and that he takes minimal blame for people who would still be shut away, to this day, if he had not acted demonstrates his character or lack thereof.

My first look examined his record and my personal name for him stands to this day: Schmuckabee.

It fits.

What a schmo.

I couldn’t vote for him for dog catcher as he would feel obliged to let the rabid dogs out… 8% of them, at least, when he sees them not actively frothing at the mouth.

ajacksonian on December 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Probably true. Huck is a Republican, after all.

Huck is articulate and personable, but this is one of the troubling things about him that bring his conservative convictions into question.

paul1149 on December 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Probably true. Huck is a Republican, after all.

paul1149 on December 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Not true. Huckabee is a moderate Democrat pretending to be a conservative Republican. Even excluding his apparent penchant to release killers from prison, his track record on social issues is pure liberal Democrat.

He is a populist and, most disgusting, practices a brand of “televangilism” that is only missing the books and tapes to be a full out fraud (and he’s currently on a book tour fixing that problem).

highhopes on December 1, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Clemmons was shot and killed after another exchange with police. One less f’ing scumbag sucking up good air. Sharpton and Jackson outrage and hand wringing begin about how he was only a “suspect” in 5… 4… 3…

Roc on December 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Bill OReilly was a complete disgrace last night in this interview.

Fact is, BILL, no spin, if Huck hadn’t released this scum bag, there would still be 4 cops alive today. If Huck hadn’t released Dummond, there would still be a lovely young woman that he raped and killed alive today.

You just lost all your credibility on your “toughness” on judges last night BO. That was a disgusting attempt to pander to a FNC collegue.

stenwin77 on December 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM

O’Reilly, really? Forest.Trees.

SouthernGent on December 1, 2009 at 8:19 AM

SG1_Conservative on December 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM
That’s great!I knew there was something but couldn’t put my finger on it :):)I wanted to come thru the tv and get that guy.Whoever our candidates are for 2012,they definitely need to be dissected by us conservatives to get the best one.My trust for any of them except Palin is eroding.

ohiobabe on December 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM

O’Reilly was being a good little corporate player here. As many times as O’Reilly has gone after judges for leniency on child predators, he softballs the Huckster?? Only because he’s a Fox colleague.

michaelo on November 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Yup. They were slinging a bunch of BS on Fox & Friends this morning too. No longer watching either of them. At all.

rollthedice on December 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Don’t need a second look at Huck. His first impression was bad enough.

SKYFOX on December 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Hell no.

Allahpundit, given that you are an atheist (and I’m not a church goer myself) and that Huckawas’ main appeal is to social conservatives, why the (it seems to me) pumping up of Mike? Palin may have her own personal views that I don’t agree with, but she seems more likely to keep personal views personal, rather than want to use the full force of the federal government on everyone. Huck seems to be the opposite.

rbj on December 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Bill what you don,t understand is.If Huckabee had not released him in the first place these other judges would not have seen him in there court.It all goes back to the beginning and starts with Huckabee.

thmcbb on December 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Again, I have to ask: Who watches O’Reilly and why?? I don’t get the big ratings, at all. I’ll tune in if I know Laura Ingraham is hosting, or if Dennis Miller is on, but O’Reilly himself is such a brown nosed “moderate”, with an overly developed and mostly undeserved, ego.

anniekc on December 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Before Huckabee’s segment BO showed how his and Huckabee’s books were on the NYT best seller list along with Sarah’s.

I turned to football but I knew he would softball his fellow author and co worker.

Fox “News” dropped a couple more notches in the past two days.

FireBlogger on December 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM

It’s this soft and cushy crap going out over the airwaves, by people that call themselves journalists who don’t ask the probing ???,that hurt this country.I want to see a person do some squirming if the questions get too close to the truth and then let us make the decision but I believe that now most of us can see thru this muck.

ohiobabe on December 1, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Just something about Huckabee that I do not trust. His penchant for “forgiveness” bothers me. Bill O’Reilly is looking more and more like an apologist for his efforts to be unbiased on many subjects. He is starting to bother me as well……

ultracon on December 1, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I can’t tell if you guys are intentionally trying to smear Huckabee or if you really are ignorant. Huckabee did not in any way, shape, or form commute the sentences of, or pardon 1000′s of violent criminals, unless you consider traffic violations and writing cold checks to be violent, which is what the overwhelming majority of his commutations and pardons were. It makes a nice sound-bite but is blatantly false.

To say this is Huckabee’s fault is just stupid. This would be equivalent to saying that my HK45 killed the burglar when in fact, it was me who killed him. Besides, the guy was in jail/prison at least 4 different times after Huckabee commuted his sentence. Had this happened within a year or two after the commutation, and he had been clean during the two years, then you could blame Huckabee and everyone else involved like the Parole Board and Judge in the initial case.

I am guessing from the posts here that you guys all consider a 106 year sentence for a 16 year old for robbery to be adequate punishment even though some murderers and rapists get off with 10 – 20 years. All Huckabee did was reduce the sentence to 47 years. I do not think that was unreasonable at all.

Most of you here are simply looking, searching for any reason you can find to crucify the man. It is sickening to see this type of behavior coming from so-called Conservatives. The childish name calling does not help your case either.

jparks1972 on December 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Hatred for Huckabee (or anyone else deemed less than pure) is clouding all common sense. It’s too easy to sit atop your perch, all holier than thou, and criticize someone you dislike for something in hindsight. To turn such a tragic event into a political lynching of Huckabee is downright disgraceful. My exit question: Has “THE BOSS” jumped the shark? Perhaps.

mike_NC9 on December 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Odd that BillO didn’t bring up the little girl that was raped, a crime for which Clemmons was being sought. He was also wanted again in Ark for unspecified crimes. This dude was bad through and through and should never have been a candidate for release.

Kissmygrits on December 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM

This is easy.

The trail of tears leads right to Hucks doorstep… His signature started the ball rolling.

Without it, 4 cops would have been able to finish their paperwork and gone on patrol, or home to their families.

He’s just one, in a long line of sleaze-ball politicians, who can never accept responsibility or accountability.

His Goober/Golly-Gee-Whiz excuses don’t cut it.

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Nice name calling ability there, franksalterego. Real classy.

I am guessing you are a fan of gun control. You believe that all guns are evil and that people only use guns because they are readily available. It is the gun’s fault. That is the exact same reasoning you are using when you blame Huckabee.

Had this guy had all this history when this case came to Huckabee’s desk, I am sure he would of denied him. Instead, this kid was 16 and had no history other than what he was currently held on. I guess Huckabee should of probed the future to see what this kid was going to do in his life or talked with God to verify this kid’s future was going to be pure.

jparks1972 on December 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM

What a joke. Huckabee didn’t release either of these scumbags. He commuted Clemmens excessive sentence on the recommendation of a judge and the parole board. The man was still in prison. Huckabees’ only official action in the Dumond case was to DENY clemency. The parole board made the decision in both cases to let these guys out. Clemens then violated parole and was sent back to prison. It was then that the prosecutor dropped the ball and failed to file the charges that would have kept Clemmens there. Do a little research. Of course I know you won’t, because you’re only interested in lynching Mike Huckabee.

ceruleanblue on December 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM

–jparks1972

Now, there’s a brilliant analysis of my comment.

This sentence says it all:

You just told on Huck… He made a decision, based on incomplete facts… Without having all the knowledge available.

And, don’t get me wrong.. There’s plenty of blame to go around… He’s just the first link the chain.

Watch this lady, and tell me, she’s willing to accept Huck’s excuses… That she’s willing to let Huck off the hook.

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Huckabee did a good job of explaining the whole mess last night. And, I am not a Huckabee fan.

SC.Charlie on December 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM

When he was 13 years old, Anthony Circosta shot another kid in the arm with a BB gun, which was not a nice thing to do.

And even though Circosta’s shot did not break the kid’s skin, Circosta was convicted of assault.

Which did not matter much as Circosta worked his way through college, joined the Army National Guard, went to Iraq and led a platoon of soldiers in the Sunni Triangle.

In 2005, while still in Iraq, Circosta petitioned then-Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for a pardon so that Circosta could become a police officer when he returned home. And the state Board of Pardons recommended that Circosta receive that pardon.

But Romney refused. Twice.

mike_NC9 on December 1, 2009 at 10:02 AM

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Sorry but I don’t see where this poor lady came anywhere close to supporting your fucked up argument.

mike_NC9 on December 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM

ORielly is wrong, we do blame the Huckster for this crime.

As well as the Judges in WA who set bail inexplainably low for an alledged child rapist with or without a record.

No niether the Judges or the Huckster pulled the trigger but, they set a dangerous man free to commit this crime.

jpmn on December 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Since day one I have had to listen to everyone I know tell me how great the Huckster was. I meanwhile held out and knew there was something I didnt like about him. While he may not have unlocked the prison and shooed the guy out, he certainly set in motion the process that did.

Koa on December 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Apparently, Blake, you didn’t read the REST of my post here. The 100+ years was not given for ONE conviction. It was the combined sentence for MULTIPLE convictions. The links are not contradictory when you consider that we’re not talking about just ONE conviction from that exact same time. As for his “alleged” behavior during the trials has been documented, check out the MM link that’s been provided in the multiple posts on this site:

She has a link to court documents that detail this stuff out. They specifically state that there was testimony on record that this stuff was all going on behind the scenes.

Some of the people here seem to be so hung up on Huck that they’re flat out refusing to acknowledge the entirety of the situation. This guy was convicted of multiple violent felonies for a crime spree he committed at 16-17 years old. He was clearly violent. All of that information would have been available to the governor. That he chose to ignore it and instead accept that this thug had seen the light and it would just be hunky dory to commute his sentence

mrflibbleisvryx on December 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM

is incomprehensible.

mrflibbleisvryx on December 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

–mike_NC9

I’m not making an argument.. I’m stating a fact.

Huckabee, with his signature, opened the gate for this lunatic.

It’s undeniable.

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Huckabee commuted a life sentence Frank?

mike_NC9 on December 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM

How could he have subverted justice when justice gave him the power to commute these sentences?

Also, when the gov gets a case for consideration of commutation, it comes with a recommendation by the board of parole which the gov is free to follow or ignore.

If you want to make a true comparison you’re also going to have to compare sentencing because I have never seen a sentence like the one they gave Clemmons with no prior intervention (meaning – previously sent to prison). They effectively gave him a life imprisonment when they handed down his sentence. That’s why I wonder if they are using commutation as a correcting mechanism. It does give you the benefit of being able to examine their record in prison. But, still, sentencing someone to what would be a life sentence for theft crimes they committed when they were 16-17 y/o is excessive and out of whack with other states and the feds.

Blake on December 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Well, at the end of the day,

The Hail of Gunfire justice sure beats the justice handed out by the bleeding heart Huckabee, and his bleeding heart supporters.

heh,heh,heh

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Time to move on from the Huckster. He is traffic on the highway to 2010 and 12.

doginblack on December 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Boortz just gave Huck a softball interview.

Valiant on December 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I don’t consider myself a Huckabee supporter, but I can think of worse things than being a bleeding heart.

Consider yourself fortunate to have never made a mistake in your life or needed a second chance.

mike_NC9 on December 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Huckabee didn’t set him free!

Huckabee didn’t set him free!

Huckabee didn’t set him free!

He just gave the parole board the power to decide if Clemmons should be paroled. He just commuted a much larger sentence down to 42 years and made him parole eligible.

How is this Huck’s fault?

therightscoop on December 1, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I am confused…Did Governor Huckabee grant clemency to Clemmons or commute his sentence? Or are these the same action? If not, does the distinction make a difference? Thanks in advance to anybody who can provide clarification….

neighhay on December 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Apparently, Blake, you didn’t read the REST of my post here.

That’s right. I don’t breathlessly search and follow every post you make on the board. Live with it.

The information in the links you provided yesterday (thank you) contained contradictory information. It was always apparent that he had multiple counts and multiple sentences. You’re not telling me anything new.

The link was continually updated. Am I now responsible for checking previous linked articles hourly to see if they changed??? Some of the information on the page is still contradictory.

It’s still alleged. It was not a trial. He was never charged or convicted and some of the testimony appears to be hearsay. It was not being offered for its truth but for other reasons which I won’t bore you with.

I’m not a Huck supporter. I’m not a so-con. I’m an atheist. I have a long history on this board of battling it out in support of law enforcement. I’m a strong proponent of the death penalty. I think it is you and others who are refusing to acknowledge the entirety of the situation due to ignorance and hatred of Huckabee.

mrflibbleisvryx on December 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM

You do not know the details of the underlying convictions, so don’t pretend that you do. Again, the sentence was outrageous and it should have been commuted.

Blake on December 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Reducing a sentence to 40 years which would make someone parole eligible is the same thing as reducing it to time served, if the parole board has a propensity to grant parole. Thank God (and George Allen) that Virginia has truth in sentencing laws.

Simona on December 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM

How can an atheist like AP be so found of Huckleberry? Because he’s a populist shill, who uses religion for his own gain, exposing how ‘religion’ is not about God, but about Self. And what is populism but communism with a God? So AP can swallow supporting his Huckleberry because the man espouse’s populism…or does he just see him as another Trojan Horse, another liberal wolf clothed in a sheep cloth of conservatism?

klickink.wordpress.com on December 1, 2009 at 11:37 AM

No, it’s not the same. What was the parole board’s recommendation to the governor regarding the commutation?
What was Clemmon’s prison record like?

Blake on December 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM

jparks1972 on December 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Glad to know there are other sensible people here. Nobody will admit it, but this is just being used to slam Huckabee because of politics and it’s disgusting. Anybody that doesn’t toe the line here either gets labeled a “Huckbot,” said needs to be banned, or insulted. I don’t even like Huckabee as a candidate! I just don’t like seeing a guy trashed like this, especially when the facts show that his decision was only a tiny piece of the puzzle.

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Sorry Blake, your boy is DOA – but keep arguing if it eases your pain.

Simona on December 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM

–jparks1972

Now, there’s a brilliant analysis of my comment.

This sentence says it all:

franksalterego on December 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I thought it was plain but I will break it down for you. The reason Huckabee did not have history on this guy was not because he had incomplete facts, THERE WAS NO HISTORY AT THAT TIME. The kid was 16 years old. These robberies were his first serious offenses. All of the other stuff was years later. You think a 16 year old kid deserves a 106 sentence for robbery? Really? Huckabee reduced his sentence to 47 years from 106 years. That is it. Still seems quite harsh for robbery when you consider

jparks1972 on December 1, 2009 at 11:46 AM

One of Huckster’s oft-repeated lines is, “actions have consequences” (quoted because it sounds good to middle America). Bet FNC has scrubbed it’s video trove of Huck saying that… could someone find those clips?

Also, wondering what Chuck Norris is thinking now. My guess is that Norris would be tougher on crime than his pal Huck was.

stenwin77 on December 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Cry me a river, Skippy. And the Huck situation is akin to
Reagan’s support of bin Laden in Afghanistan (which never happened). We heard you yesterday.

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM

If Clemmons had been in a cage he wouldn’t have been in Parkland, Washington.

viking01 on December 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM

therightscoop on December 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Tell that to the families of the murdered cops.

Badger40 on December 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Cry me a river, Skippy. And the Huck situation is akin to

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I see you continue to fail to miss the point. No surprise there.

And I’m not crying. I just find the reaction here disgraceful and I question people’s motives. For a group that loves to complain about people blaming guns for other people’s crimes, you sure seem to enjoy playing the blame game with somebody who did not commit the crime. Most of you here can’t even get the facts of the incident right.

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Face facts, Huckabee—YOU ARE TOAST!

BobAnthony on December 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I see you continue to fail to miss the point.

Natureboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I’m quoting this one for posterity, too.

LibTired on December 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Blake on December 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM

On Boortz’s show he quoted an article in the NYT that said Gov. Huckabee granted clemency three times more then any other governors. I don’t know if that is limited to Arkansas or governors in general. Also it was stated that Arkansas generally gives longer sentences because they are only required to serve a quarter of their terms before being eligable for parole. All of this off the radio so obviously I don’t know if it’s true. I still believe that governors should only use this power in extrodinary circumstances and it’s hard for me to imagine that there were over a thousand of those situations.

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I’m quoting this one for posterity, too.

LibTired on December 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Wow, nice job at spotting that and way to keep on topic (because anything is deemed on topic here if you’re repeating the same crap as everyone else). Where would you like your prize delivered to, a.sshole?

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM

You are the one who floated the false off-topic story of Regan trainng Osama in Afghanistan, then dropped it to reference a Frontline story concerning the torturing of Al Queda operatives posted on-line 10/18/05. You are just upset that nobody agrees with your argument or that it is analogous to Huck’s clemency for Clemmons.

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM

No, the point was not about him (Osama) specifically, the point was that our government had trained and aided people who eventually became terrorists (which I proved with Ali Mohammed, who, apparently, even had the title of a soldier here and worked with CIA). We shouldn’t blame them for that, just like we shouldn’t blame Huckabee for this. In fact, Huckabee has less connection to these crimes than our government does with those unfortunate incidents of people turning. Not too hard to understand after you take your head out of your backside and actually think, instead of focusing on tearing down Huckabee.

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for revealing yourself for the Hot Airians to see. Game over.

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Some people here are glad that Gov. Huckabee’s political career is over because they don’t think he is the man for the job, others are just being pragmatic. No one, NO ONE, can have two early releases that resulted in deaths and be unaware of what the opposition will do with the information. You are not being logical when you bring up all these odd arguments just because you don’t like the tone of the rhetoric.

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for revealing yourself for the Hot Airians to see. Game over.

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Is that code to say that you’re clueless and don’t have a point?

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

You want logic from a concern troll?

LibTired on December 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM

LibTired on December 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I live to dream.

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

If you want to argue about other cases, go ahead, but in this particular case, he had very little to do with it. Why would he not commute somebody who was on a robbery charge and spending an absurd amount of years locked up? I’d probably do the same. This is not the case to attack him on. But if he’s lying about what prosecutor did or didn’t tell him, then that will change everything.

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Is that code to say that you’re clueless and don’t have a point?
Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Check out the comments, Skippy. See anyone agreeing with your arguments? Clueless and egotistical is no way to go through life, son.

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

None of it makes any difference. His acts, regardless of their intent or their appropriatness, have lead to five deaths. If you think the opposition won’t make it the center of their campaign you are new to the world of politics.

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Nice logic, genius. I guess we can consider Obama a fantastic president, since I’m sure I can find a majority of people on liberal blogs saying positive things about him. Hilarious.

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

His mother having birthed him could technically be consider a cause of their deaths. Huckabee’s role in this is minor compared to everyone else. This is the same argument that Dems use against gun ownership. Are you going to start condemning the person who sold the gun to a killer?

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Nice attempt at deflection, junior. You come on here and say all the Hot Airians that disagree with you are idiots. And then you try another failed analogy referencing the opinion of Obama on Liberal Blogs. We heard your opinion and nobody’s buying it. End of story.

kingsjester on December 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Failed analogy? Moron, just because you say it’s failed, doesn’t mean it’s so. Your argument is that I must be the clueless one because nobody here agrees with me. So if I went over to a liberal blog and disagreed with people who think Obama is the greatest, according to you, it must be true. It’s your failed thinking and logic that’s the problem, not my analogy.

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Narutoboy, Gov. Huckabee is no longer a viable candidate for any political office. I don’t quite know what you agenda is but it isn’t interesting enough to bother to find out. Thank you for sharing past comments, I won’t be bothering you in the future.

Cindy Munford on December 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Narutoboy on December 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

If that is the way AR sentences its criminals, then it might be normal.
I don’t consider any long prison absurd when they actually killed somebody.
But perhaps you agree with the dispensation of kindness to repentant murderers over their assigned punishment?

Badger40 on December 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM

long prison sentence absurd

Badger40 on December 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Especially if you’re as Christian as Huckabee. Which is why he did this. And exactly why religion and politics are a bad mix.

Grow Fins on December 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM