Video: Huckabee and O’Reilly on the cop-killer clemency

posted at 9:53 pm on November 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

“[S]oftball treatment,” declares the boss, wondering what happened to the patented O’Reilly third-degree vis-a-vis Huck’s long, infamous record of clemencies while governor. Instead, half the clip is spent complaining about Washington’s judges — which is well deserved, but not the reason Fox viewers were tuning in tonight. In Huck’s defense, he does accept some responsibility here, and assuming he’s telling the truth about the judge’s recommendations — more details will be forthcoming in the next few days as journalists dig in, no doubt — he’s not the only Arkansas official who thought Clemmons’s sentence should have been commuted. Pay attention to what he says around 1:45, though, about having received no response from the prosecutor at the time about whether clemency was warranted. The prosecutor in the case certainly has a strong opinion now:

“It was not something I was pleased with at the time,” said Larry Jegley, who prosecuted Clemmons for aggravated robbery and other charges in Pulaski County, Arkansas, regarding the commutation. “I would be most distressed if this is the same guy.”

Strange that he would have kept silent at the time when invited to speak up. Meanwhile, from the same article, here’s how Clemmons petitioned Huckabee. Note the boss’s reminder in the last update to her post about pastor friends of Huck’s knowing “which buttons to push”:

“I come from a very good Christian family and I was raised much better than my actions speak,” Clemmons said in a clemency application brief to then-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in 2000. “I’m still ashamed to this day for the shame my stupid involvement in these crimes brought upon my family’s name.”…

“I have never done anything good for God, but I’ve prayed for him to grant me in his compassion the grace to make a start,” he said. “Now, I’m humbly appealing to you for a brand new start.”

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

That would require a first look.

BadgerHawk on November 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

No Hucking Way!!!

mrfixit on November 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Yeah, I’ll be getting right on that. Soon after your first look at Palin.

/sarc

cs89 on November 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM

As a Politician, he’s a good talk show host.

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM

“I don’t think anybody watching thinks it’s your fault.”

I do.

boomer on November 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Boomer,

Me too.

gitarfan on November 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Only to stick a fork in him, because he’s done. And that’s a very, very good thing.

califcon on November 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM

contributary stupidity/RINOness

bill30097 on November 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM

The Huck stops here.

alexwest on November 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

califcon on November 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Amen! Keep hope alive.

rollthedice on November 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

clemmons

clemency

hmm

blatantblue on November 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I think it’s Huck’s fault.

Of course, I wasn’t watching, so O’Reilly still might be right.

Kensington on November 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM

This story was made for O’Reilly and he puts it after Tiger Woods?

califdreamnred on November 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM

the huckster is too liberal…this is just confirmation…

right4life on November 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I really hate to say this,but this is what Liberals do,
letting out the nutcakes!!

Huckabee is done,over,finished!!

Huckabee,has committed Political Hari-Kari!!

canopfor on November 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Nah, Lieberman would be just as good, maybe better, and is more honest about not being a Republican.

RINO in Name Only on November 30, 2009 at 10:05 PM

OT: Confession over at LGF…

d1carter on November 30, 2009 at 10:05 PM

LOL

Tonight

Savage kept calling him Hucksterbee

I just LOLed so hard everytime he said it

The contempt ooozed from my car speakers

blatantblue on November 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Well,in light of the Police Officers who were murdered,
Huckabee has only the support of the Military now!!

canopfor on November 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM

OT: Confession over at LGF…

d1carter on November 30, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Let it be known

Charles Johnson is a moron of the highest odor

Order — ahem.

blatantblue on November 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM

O’Reilly is correct in stating that two Washington judges were directly responsible both for setting bail too low and approving said bail for an accused child rapist. HOWEVER IT WAS THE HUCKING EX-GOVERNOR OF ARKANSAS WHO MADE THE INITIAL DECISION THAT LED TO THE FREEDOM OF THIS TICKING TIME BOMB WHO OTHERWISE WOULD STILL BE CONFINED.

MaiDee on November 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM

It’s devastating for a presidential hopeful, because something people instinctively want in a President is the ability to pull the trigger on the guilty, and not let personal sentimentality interfere with it. We’re not hiring a merciful saint. We’re hiring a CEO, that just happens to have the US military at his disposal. In things like this, perception is almost as important as reality.

RBMN on November 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Never liked Huck – never will. Stick a fork in him he is done.

Can’t stand O’Reilly. Protecting him because he is on Fox.

Sarah. Jim DeMint is looking good and I LOVE the Governor of Texas.

suzyk on November 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM

OT: Check out LGF. Johnson has confirmed (big surprise – NOT) that he’s Keith Olbermann’s twin. I can still post comments over there, but why waste my time…

perroviejo on November 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Charles Johnson is a moron of the highest odor

Not to mention, a particularly pedestrian photographer. Just sayin’

califcon on November 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM

You can’t expect O’Reilly to go after Huckabee. They’re on the same network. Levin on the other hand… called Huck a “bleeding heart” conservative.

dforston on November 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Stay on topic, please.

Allahpundit on November 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Where oh where are all the Huck supporters tonight telling us how great this idiot is and what kind of great christian he is.
His weakness contributed to these 4 peoples death and a child getting raped.

kangjie on November 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM

“I come from a very good Islamic family and I was raised much better than my actions speak,” Khalid Sheik Mohammed said in a clemency application brief to Attorney General Eric Holder. “I’m still ashamed to this day for the shame my stupid involvement in these crimes brought upon my family’s name.”…

The Ugly American on November 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Get bent.

BPD on November 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I guess we won’t have to worry about the MSM picking the Huckster for 2012.

tbear44 on November 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM

God dam fool Huckabee.We need more and biger prisons.Lock
them up and keep them till they die.

Denniscat on November 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM

DUKAKIS II

Not responsible? HUH?

Did Huckleberry have a history of giving Clemency to convicted criminals? If so, then yes he’s soft on crime.

Fast Foward Spring 2012
My money is on Mittens to destroy Fried Squirrel man with an Ad on this one.

PappyD61 on November 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

What would O’Reilly save if Huckabee went to say…a popular website and made racist comments to prove they were racist? Whose fault would that be?

I blame Huckabee, in fact, but about his judgment. In the end Clemmons et al are responsible for their own actions. It means he doesn’t have judgment to lead…but in the end, hard to argue the blood is on his hands.

Spirit of 1776 on November 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Way to go BOR, such a hard interviewer you. Hopefully his gig on Fox will still be there at least until 2012 so he won’t embarrass himself running again!

deidre on November 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

He can blame who ever he wants – his signature is on the paper. He’s done, he should be done. I’m glad he’s done. Was afraid everyone who voted for him last time, would still be on his side this time. He needs to go away as a presidential candidate, and this should do it.

Now he has to hope he doesn’t lose his following on his show.

marnes on November 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

It has always seemed to me that the Lame Street Media was setting up Huck to be their next McCain. Who will their choice for Republican Candidate be in 2012? Pawlenty?

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

It’s a judgement problem. Including all the other problems with Huckabee, he did this over a THOUSAND times, far far far more than other governors.

Even if he weasels out of this, he has a soft on crime tattoo to go along with big-spending, friend of Tyson Food’s illegal aliens, and higher taxes.

Bye-bye from the POTUS race. I have no idea if he can beat Lincoln next year.

Sapwolf on November 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

O’Reilly and Huckabee…darlings of the well-heeled RINO set.

coldwarrior on November 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Now he has to hope he doesn’t lose his following on his show.

marnes on November 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Unless he mans up soon, I’d expect we’ll be hearing the cancellation announcement sometime in the second or third week of January.

The Ugly American on November 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Now he has to hope he doesn’t lose his following on his show.

marnes on November 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Does he really have much of a following on FoxNews? Just asking as everytime his show comes on I change the channel.

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM

—James Maxwell, who killed a pastor of the Church of God in Arkansas. Maxwell worked at the Governor’s Mansion when Huckabee announced his intent to reduce his prison sentence.

—Robert A. Arnold Jr., who was convicted of killing his father-in-law. Arnold’s father, a former mayor of Hope, Huckabee’s hometown, said he was a casual friend of the governor.

—Denver Witham, convicted of beating a man to death with a lead pipe at bar, had his sentence commuted by Huckabee. The action drew the ire of prosecutors who speculated that Huckabee’s act of clemency was related to Witham, who was lead singer in a prison band, being a fellow musician.

Michelle Malkin has a list of those Huckabee granted clemency to while Governor on her blog (above are a few). Many of these people KILLED. How do you let someone go free who killed someone??? Can someone please tell me why this is allowed to happen? They should never see the light of day. If you kill someone…you lose your freedom FOREVER!!

vitaatcaritas on November 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM

It makes me sick. Let the Justice system serve justice. Pardon = convicts out free.

Indian Outlaw on November 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Paging Mike Huckabee, Code Pink is trying to reach you. They think they have a spot for you.

BuckeyeSam on November 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM

As a rock-solid right-winger I was hoping Huckabee didn’t last as a candidate until 2012. The MSM would use his past as a pastor on a daily basis to claim he would use the bible in place of the constitution.

We…don’t…need…that…distraction.

perroviejo on November 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Glad I didn’t watch cuz I think its his fault.

lonestar1 on November 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM

UH OH…….GO LOOK AT THE PICTURES OF THE FOUR OFFICERS KILLED?

Huckleberry……..you have some responsibility in this. Just like George W. Bush has some responsibility when an illegal in this country gets drunk runs into a pregnant woman and everyone but the illegal gets killed (it happened in our town). All because the border wasn’t protected and you had 8 years and you did nothing.

Huck if you gave this thug clemency like you did the other guy Dummond and others like him then YOU bear some responsibility.

Fork meet Huck.

PappyD61 on November 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Frankly speaking, Huckabee has never come off as genuine to me.

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

KISS (keep it simple stupid). If I unlock a cage and let a man-eating tiger go free and that tiger subsequently kills 4 people, who should get the blame? The man in the moon?

MaiDee on November 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM

BOR: “I don’t think anybody watching thinks it’s your fault.”

Right-wing blogosphere: “Yeah, we do.”

sabu on November 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Look good guys with big hearts should not be making decisions that could cause the life of someone else. Facts are Cheney would let the sucker rot in a cell. my 2 cents

Indian Outlaw on November 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I think O’Reilly really proved himself for what he is tonight …

A shill.

HondaV65 on November 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I don’t have to watch it. O’Reilly spins his own version of MOR, abd speaks the royal “we” when it comes to “the folks”. I know he believes his own crap and that makes him an even worse role model for conservatives who put principles before personalities.
Randy

williars on November 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM

kingsjester on November 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

kingsjester: Now your thinking!!

Since SarahCuda has gone through the gauntlet
of hell,I don’t think theres any dirt that any
Lefty Operatives can find,which explains that
they have to dream things up,dirt that is,

so,in that light,my moneys on the SarahCuda
ever-expanding political Army!!:)

canopfor on November 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Second look at Huck?

No. The first one was enough. Horrible. Elmer Gantry style shuckster.

I can’t believe anyone takes this guy seriously. Oh… there’s that ‘bambi’ guy.

Leave Huck to his talk show and dieting demons. We have better candidates.

Cody1991 on November 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM

O’Reilly is right. Sensible people recognize this as the murderers fault and are expressing sympathy for the family.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Elmer Gantry style shuckster.

Frankly, that’s an insult to Elmer Gantry.

[one of my favorite films btw]

The Ugly American on November 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM

MaiDee on November 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM

MaiDee: Excellent analogy! Common sense dictates its the
idiot who let him out!!:)

canopfor on November 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Here’s an “exit question” for you….and it’s right on topic.

Why is it that we can’t afford to build enough prisons to house dangerous criminals but we can afford 800 Billion dollars to stimulate the economy – even though it only seems to have stimulated Chris Mathews? I would think that 800 billion dollars worth of prison building would stimulate the economy in all 50 states…and create jobs, too!

Why is it that politicians stick their necks out, guillotine ready, and give clemency to someone they don’t know anything about and 9 times out of 10 they turn into Willie Horton?

Now we’re watching a reasonably popular politician self-destruct…and I mean he’s DONE…all because he decided to turn this year’s version of Willie Horton loose.

Even if Clemmons is exonerated in a court of law, Huckabee’s political career just ended. How utterly foolish. They did the crime, let them do the time…all the rest have to.

GoldenEagle4444 on November 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

The Arkansas judge was just on Anderson Cooper, I caught a small bit of it, all I heard was a CYA attempt identical to Huck’s–”Oh if I had any idea that he was going to kill four officer’s…” yada yada BS; he was defending Huck’s decision as well since this murderer was just a poor 16 yr old with a “harsh” sentence. These two make me sick.

SoxNation on November 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

If it turns out Clemmons is the cop killer, Huckleberry’s goose is COOKED.

GarandFan on November 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I stopped watching BOR many moons ago. And I do not miss him one bit.

tbear44 on November 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Mike…go “Huck” yourself you worthless lying piece of phony Christian scum.

End of story. You know in the good ‘ol days (or so I’m told by my grandparents) you killed someone, the state killed you right back didn’t matter how “Christian” your sorry can was.

This was said on the clemency thread and bears repeating here

Huckabee has always disgusted me. Clemency? Pardons for rapists? Mike can get all rapped up in his religious, feel-good nonsense, but his duty as governor was to protect people.

What is it with these guys? Do they ‘kinda-sorta-understand-see-why-they-did-it’? Ask the women who were raped. There is never, and I mean NEVER any reason to pardon someone who preys on those who cannot defend themselves. Rapists and pedophiles need to be locked away forever. They cannot be redeemed. Pardoning these animals may make guys like Huck feel better about himself, but it does society no good at all.

If a man cannot commit himself to protecting the women (and children) of our society, what kind of man is he? Not much of one in my estimation.

Huck for POTUS? NEVER. Absolutely disgusting.

Any man that may put his religious faith (or lack therof) before the protection of his fellow man should stick to being a scheming dreaming little man and off of ANY ballot WHATSOEVER!

Additionally he or she should slowly & carefully think PRIOR to voting on said ballot.

SgtSVJones on November 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM

If Huck had quickly and humbly taken responsibility for commuting the murderer’s sentence AND if this was his only “Willie Horton” type of decision, then he may still have had a chance. But he didn’t, and it wasn’t.

I wouldn’t have voted for him anyway – too much of a used-car salesman vibe to him.

Intrepid on November 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

GoldenEagle4444 on November 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Agreed! What was the upside for Huck to make that decision?

d1carter on November 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Slimy scumbag.
You’re finished, you country fried POS.

HornetSting on November 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

That’s what I’m doing, thinking about the nine kids and four spouses left behind.

I’m also recognizing that there are too many noodles in our society who seem the human trash as worth saving, that after killing and raping and molesting they just need one more chance. Why, because when the killer/rapist/pedophile was seven his old man smacked him for not getting an A+ on his math test or some similar bullshiite.

Bishop on November 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Gee I wonder if O’Reilly’s forgiving stance toward Huckabee has anything to do with Huckabee having a show on O’Reilly’s network?

And I’m sure if Huckabee were a Democrat, he would have treated him exactly the same.

The thing about O’Reilly is I think he actually wants to be a good journalist, but unfortunately, he’s just not very good at it despite his efforts. Epic fail, Bill. Again.

Proud Rino on November 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

O’Reilly was being a good little corporate player here. As many times as O’Reilly has gone after judges for leniency on child predators, he softballs the Huckster?? Only because he’s a Fox colleague.

michaelo on November 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

From what I’ve read on this thread so far, no one is denying that the blame is on the shooter. And I’m sure I speak for others on the thread in saying that we have the deepest sympathy for the families of the victims. However, Huckabee does bear responsibility if and when Clemmons is confirmed as the shooter. Not to mention the fact this guy is only one in a long list of convicted criminals that Huckabee helped get released from prison. And Huckabee’s initial responses quite frankly made me want to puke. Not only has the guy exercised poor judgment in his decisions, but he also lack’s the moral courage to genuinely admit to his mistakes.

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Only if he goes to the funeral of the four murdered police officers, and looks into the eyes of the raped child and says…

“I am to blame that this animal was let loose on the streets and is not still in jail. I am to blame for your pain and loss…”

Then I can look at him all I want, or just change the channel.

Seven Percent Solution on November 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Only because he’s a Fox colleague.

michaelo on November 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Because if any one of the Hot Air bloggers were in the same position, his or her fellow writers would take him to task as vigorously as they would somebody they dislike. Please! That’s to be expected. I didn’t see it as a soft ball. The way O’Reilly introduced the topic especially surprised me because I didn’t think he would be that blunt.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

They made me! They made me! I never would have!
He knows his goose is cooked. Prosecutors in Arkansas aren’t going to sit by and be silent.

Marcus on November 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

They’ve got a responsibility to do just that, actually.

That’s to be expected.

Not by me, it’s not.

Proud Rino on November 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Huckaboom!

Huckasplat!

Huckatoast!

I have always believed he was among the most slimy of politicians in the US, doing whatever is expedient at a particular nanosecond. That interview proves it.

doufree on November 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

You are way off-base. And you certainly do not speak for me!

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

But he did admit to his mistake. Did he not say that if he had known, he would not have made the decision that he did? That seems like he is acknowledging the mistake. You don’t think he’s being sincere/genuine about it? I think they were making a valid point about the people who let this guy go much closer to the time he committed the crime. In this case, I don’t think he is as culpability as some are making him out to be. This guy was just on a robbery charge, correct? These other guys that he helped get release, however, trouble me.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

Wow.

Ronnie on November 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM

wondering what happened to the patented O’Reilly third-degree

Bill isn’t going to destroy a social-con statist with an open disdain for libertarianism, not gonna happen.

doubleplusundead on November 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Proud Rino on November 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

So if either one of the two that blog here were in this position, you think Michelle Malkin would go after them to the degree that she has Huckabee? Honestly? That wouldn’t happened. If a post was made about it, the first sentence would tell the readers to wait till all the facts come in before forming opinions. And I doubt the story would be about them. It would be about the killer first and foremost.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

no, that is not admitting his mistake. that is saying “i didnt know this would happen so i cant be blamed”.

chasdal on November 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Narutoboy was allowed to highjack the discussion in threads earlier today, apparently he’s out to do the same in this one. Remember though, it’s our own fault if we keep responding to him. So don’t.

beachgirlusa on November 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM

So basically, a man with the qualities to be a minister does not have the qualities to govern. Too much compassion: releasing criminals who shouldn’t be released, and regulating our eating habits for our own good.

He’s a liberal in conservative’s minister’s clothing.

misterpeasea on November 30, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Has Huck blamed Bush yet?

Cicero43 on November 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

beachgirlusa on November 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Oh, I’m sorry for not being a drone. That idiot Huckleberry. What a dirtbag. He’s toast. Happy to toe the line. :-)

chasdal on November 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

He probably could have made better statements, but I believe he is sincere when he made the comments about having regrets over his decision. I believe he said that if he had known, he would not have made the decision.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Oh sure, after the heat got turned up on him over the past 24 hours Huckabee has come a bit closer to acknowledging just a tad bit of responsibility. But his initial response was nothing more than a blame game.

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

A bit more than “just on a robbery charge.”

From Wiki, so you’re welcome to shoot holes in it if you can:

Clemmons was arrested when he was a junior in an Arkansas high school for carrying a .25-caliber pistol on school property. He claimed to be carrying the gun because he was “beaten by dopers”, and said he had “something for them” if they attacked him again. Clemmons has been accused of numerous violent incidents while being tried in Arkansas on various charges. During one trial, he was shackled in leg irons and seated next to a uniformed officer because the presiding judge ordered extra security, claiming Clemmons had threatened him. In another instance, Clemmons was accused of throwing a lock at a bailiff, but instead it accidentally hit his mother. Clemmons has also reportedly hidden a piece of metal in his sock to use as a weapon, and reached for a guard’s pistol while being transported to court.[3]

In 1990, Maurice Clemmons, then 18, was sentenced in Arkansas to 60 years in prison for burglary and theft. During the sentencing, a circuit judge told Clemmons that he had broken his mother’s heart, to which Clemmons responded, “I have broken my own heart.” When he received the 60-year sentence, he was already serving 48 years on five felony convictions, and facing up to 95 more years on charges of theft, and possessing a handgun on school property. He was 17 when he committed the crimes.[3]

In 2000, then-Governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons,[2]over the protests of victims and prosecutors involved with Clemmons’ previous cases.[3][4] Huckabee cited Clemmons’ young age at the time the crimes were committed.[3]

cs89 on November 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM

The man did this over 1000 times for crying out loud!

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Huckabee going on with Ted Baxter is like Obama going on Oprah. Let Chris Wallace have a crack at him. Huckster wouldn’t have the courage to go on Sunday morning though.

edgehead on November 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM

But his initial response was nothing more than a blame game.

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM

That says it was issued by his Press Team. I’m betting they just gathered up data from news sources and didn’t really get Huckabee’s take on it. If he didn’t have involvement in that posting, he should probably go back and edit it because it does make him seem kind of detached.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM

As soon as Clemons used the word “Christian” in his brief, the fix for clemency was in.

A mushy-headed Christian is as worthless as a mushy-headed Liberal. ESPECIALLY WHEN DEALING WITH KILLERS, RAPISTS, PEDOPHILES, etc. (Catholic church with its massive musical chairs with pedophile priests, now also in Dublin??)

If you want to turn YOUR cheek(s!!), by all means bend over. But don’t demand that society bend over for these animals.

Duh.

If I were a lawyer, I would be prepping for a ginormous lawsuit pro bono. (If you can sue a Governor for malfeasance)

fred5678 on November 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM

This pretty much kills Huck’s chances in 2012. If there is one thing the people of this country can all agree on is a duty of the government to provide and provide well, it is security for it’s citizens. So much so that the people are often willing to give up some of their civil liberties in the name of personal and national security; forget Social Security because crime and punishment is the true third rail of American politics. Huck just fried himself, whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant now.

The worst thing about all of this is that there has already been two instances like this which can be blamed on Huck and there could be more.

Daemonocracy on November 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Sorry, I don’t buy it for a minute. Huckabee owns the post on his PAC website. And to say he should now go back and edit the post is sheer lunacy. Some free advice for you natureboy, the next time you want to place a bet, don’t.

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM

All of this is a cogent argument for putting terrorists into the criminal justice system.

IlikedAUH2O on November 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM

galvestonian on November 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM

If you’ll look at the site, Huckabee makes posts under the name “Mike Hukabee,” not “Press Team.” I think it’s a reasonable assumption to say that these are either staff or volunteers he has posting under the label of Press Team. And why would it be lunacy? You say “his” original response wasn’t appropriate. What’s wrong with going back and adjusting what you said, assuming he was the one responsible for that writing? His statements on O’Reilly were reasonable.

Narutoboy on November 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Exit question: Second look at Huck?

That would require a first look.

BadgerHawk on November 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Haha. You commenters are funny.

iamse7en on November 30, 2009 at 11:59 PM

This is an absolute no brainer…guesses where I stand/rhetorical
Bye bye huckster…

jerrytbg on December 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Jim DeMint is looking good and I LOVE the Governor of Texas.

suzyk on November 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Rick Perry also puts on a good front.

Johan Klaus on December 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM