NFL week 12 open thread

posted at 10:00 am on November 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Things are looking bad for Steeler Nation this week.  Not only did the Pittsburgh Steelers lose to the lowly Kansas City Chiefs last week, they lost Big Ben Roethlisberger for the game.  After having “concussion-like symptoms” after a hit in KC, Roethlisberger practiced all week for today’s game against the Baltimore Ravens — but yesterday, the Steelers moved him down to #3 behind Dennis Dixon and newly-signed Tyler “Who?” Palko.   However, the Ravens have lost four of their last six games and couldn’t score a TD against Indianapolis last week, either.  I’m going to stay a true believer and predict the Steelers D wins the game for Pittsburgh and puts them back in the playoff picture, 16-12.

Last week, I did a little better at 4-3.  Who would have thought both the Steelers and the Bengals would lose to the bottom half of the AFC West?  Who would have thought that the best game of the week was between two 1-8 teams?  Crazy.  Let’s see if it stays crazy this week:

• Chicago at Minnesota – Da Bears have been as inconsistent as the Vikes have been relentless.  Expect the Vikings defense to have a big, big day against Jay Cutler, especially after they take away the run.  Brett Favre gets three more TDs in a walk, 34-13.
  • Indianapolis at Houston – A couple of weeks ago, I would have picked Houston, but the Colts keep finding a way to win.  Can they stay unbeaten?  I think they can.  I’ll say 24-21 Indy.
  • New England at New Orleans – I know that people hate to pick against the Patriots and think that the Saints are just waiting for a comedown game, but the Saints are playing at home, and the Patriots aren’t as dominating as in the past.  I’m picking the Saints in a shootout, 38-28.
  • Arizona at Tennessee – The Titans are a different team than they were in the first six games, and Chris Johnson is having a great season.  Arizona has been up and down this season, but the Titans are all up at the moment.  This should be a good game to watch.  I’ll pick the same score for the Titans as last week, 20-17 Tennessee.
  • Jacksonville at San Francisco – Two inconsistent teams that have shown flashes of brilliance this season, but the Jaguars won’t have Maurice Jones-Drew.  Mike Singletary will glare his team to victory, 23-17.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

how can the REdskins lose again this week? let me count the ways….

alas

kelley in virginia on November 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

As sad as I am Ben won’t be playing, I am glad the team is looking out for his health.

Crossing my fingers for Dixon.

byepartisan on November 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM

You have to ask Who about Palko? He was a crowd favorite with the Saints a few years ago during pre-season. They worked with him for a year on the scout squad but later cut him.

Saints – Pats will likely be closer and a toss up as to which will come out victorious.

Indy – Houston, with Freeney out, Houston has a much better chance.

Against almost any other team, I’ve got to pull for Singletary and the Niners. He is such a class act kind of guy.

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Hater!

I know Ed the Cowboys don’t even play today, I just can’t let an NFL open thread go without it.

:-)

conservnut on November 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I hope Dennis Dixon plays well, but if Ben is healthy enough to be listed on the depth chart, he is healthy enough to start.

I like the sigining of Tyler Palko, the former Pitt QB. He’s got to be at least as worthy as all the years we kept Brian St. Pierre on the roster.

myrenovations on November 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM

It’s already been a good weekend for NFL football. The Green Bay Packers have already won and get to rest up for those nasty Ravens.

Mr. D on November 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Go chiefs keep on winning. Sorry ed

bessex on November 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Patriots upset the Saints tomorrow night…the Pats need the game more than the Who-Dats, who have a 5-game lead in their division.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 10:16 AM

how can the REdskins lose again this week? let me count the ways….

alas

kelley in virginia on November 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Speaking of the Redskins reminds me of cheerleaders, which in turn reminds me of an alleged Redskin cheerleader at a WH doins’.
Heh.

a capella on November 29, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I have a feeling the Stillers game is going to be unusually hard to watch tonight- tough game with no Ben, and no other game to flip to for a few minutes when they do something really stupid.

Scott P on November 29, 2009 at 10:20 AM

how can the REdskins lose again this week? let me count the ways….

alas

kelley in virginia on November 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I am actually rooting for the skins today. Now if you will excuse me, I must go and cut off my offending hands for typing that!

conservnut on November 29, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Big game today is Arsenal v Chelsea: a huge test for both teams, as both are thinking League Championship. Man U has taken it two years running, and will have something to say about all this, but today’s contest will tell much about the two challengers. Could be Chelsea’s year with their new manager – or Arsenal’s (who has a veteran coach running out of “this is a young team” excuses).

Action begins shortly from The Emirates stadium; don’t miss this one!!

ManUFan on November 29, 2009 at 10:21 AM

If Off. Co Bruce Arians had any time mid week to work with Dennis Dixon, this could be fun. He’s a tremendous offensive talent. Maybe a lil’ wildcat action. Also, no Terrell Suggs for the Ravens.

THE CHOSEN ONE on November 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Re: Palko

Palko ended his college career tied for second in school history in career touchdown passes with former Panther Alex Van Pelt with a total of 66 and was second in university history in career passing yardage, trailing Dan Marino by 254 yards. Palko’s career totals of 8,343 passing yards with 66 touchdown passes rank him as one of the top-three passers in Panther football history.

Notably, in the spring of 2005, Dave Wannstedt, after replacing Walt Harris as head coach, chose Palko over Joe Flacco as the incumbent quarterback in Pitt’s spring training. Flacco was left to run Pitt’s second team and eventually left Pitt for Division I-AA school, Delaware. Flacco is currently the starting quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens.

From WIKIPEDIA

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Maybe a lil’ wildcat action.

THE CHOSEN ONE on November 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM

The Ravens have proven themselves to be almost immune to the wildcat. Dixon will probably be running for his life tonight (and the Steelers may well win), but I don’t think it’s going to be by design.

myrenovations on November 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM

how can the Redskins lose again this week? let me count the ways….

kelley in virginia on November 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Don’t you mean the Jets ???

Sigh…….when does spring training start ?? Wait a minute, I’m also a Met’s fan, what am I thinkin’.

Jerome Horwitz on November 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Mr. Dixon, say hello to Mr. Lewis … thump! Mr. Palko …

Dukehoopsfan on November 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM

What happened to Batch as Steeler qb back-up?

conservative pilgrim on November 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Nevermind. Read the link–he broke his wrist. Palko was only signed last Thursday?!?!! I expect a big running game.

conservative pilgrim on November 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Reasons to be thankful this holiday football weekend?

#1 My Gstors rolled the Noles, six in a row! Bring on Bama!

#2 The Cowboys won!

#3 Notre Dame LOST!

#4 The Steelers will walk into Baltimore and punch the Ravens in the face! OK, OK, the Steelers have a TOUGH game ahead, and will likely lose their third in as row. Oh well, three out of four ain’t bad.

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Pittsburgh fans are pretty familiar with Palko.

Dixon should do well. He can run all over the place and he has some good sandlot-style receivers to throw to. I expect a high scoring game with the Steelers offense and Ravens defense doing most of the scoring.

forest on November 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I’m a loyal Steelers’ fan living in Tennessee, but I have to say that Vince Young and Chris Johnson are getting it done in Nashville.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM

The Toxins should win today. They always play me Colts tough and today will be no exception. Colts need to get guys healthy for the playoffs. Oh yea…Go Colts

Toxins 27
Colts 23

ohiorebel on November 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Uh. Kansas City beat them. I live in KC and can tell you that the only thing that gets a bigger laugh than the Chiefs are teams that actually lose to them.

watson007 on November 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

This is a must win for Houston, and after two straight losses due to missed field goals in the last seconds (one against Indy), I think they’ll pull off the win, 27-24.

TXUS on November 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

What happened to Batch as Steeler qb back-up?

conservative pilgrim on November 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM

He was injured and likely out the rest of the season.

myrenovations on November 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM

–and–

Mr. Dixon, say hello to Mr. Lewis … thump! Mr. Palko …

Dukehoopsfan on November 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Bet we see little of the wild cat.

Ever see Dixon play at Oregon? He is no slouch.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Upset watch for Cincy today, also the Texans beat the Colts,
and Monday night the Saints edge the Pats 38-35

Other winners, Chargers, Falcons, Dolphins, Panthers, Jags, Eagles,Vikings, Seahawks, Ravens and Cards

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

More video of Dennis Dixon

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Ever see Dixon play at Oregon? He is no slouch.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

This ain’t the Pac-1o though, Dixon can be a good QB but his first start will prove tough

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

ohiorebel on November 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I hope we’re both right. The Toxins, LOL.

TXUS on November 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

The Ravens are going to win if they play like they did against the Colts or the Broncos.

justinx0r on November 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Ever see Dixon play at Oregon? He is no slouch.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

He was a very good college QB. I love that the Steelers drafted him. I just don’t have a lot of faith in a team picking up the wildcat midseason, against a good defense, while also brining in a QB for his very first start and first significant playing time.

I would prefer to have your optimism.

myrenovations on November 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

There is no sanctuary.

/Jets fan

JetBoy on November 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Reasons to be thankful this holiday football weekend?

#1 My Gstors rolled the Noles, six in a row! Bring on Bama!

#2 The Cowboys won!

#3 Notre Dame LOST!

Could well be a toss up in the SEC Championship Game. I live in Baton Rouge thus have to follow the Tigers. It is sad they they are more important than anything else, politically or economically to most people around here. My Cowboys got crushed by New Hampshire last night.

Notre Dame has got to be the most overrated program for well over a decade or two. BTW, one of my uncles was supposed to go there to be a running back but his father died and he had to stay home and help support the family in the mid 30′s. It was a disappointment that took half a century for him to overcome.

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I would prefer to have your optimism.

myrenovations on November 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

With the Steelers Defense they just need to play a close competitive game. They will need to score about 15 points to win.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

That is why I detest Notre Dame, the ESPN types fawn over them, and still pretend they are an elite program. That and the fact that Notre Dame is treated like no other school is, as if they ARE college football.

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Steelers D does well against Flacco.

After throwing for 192 yards and a touchdown in his first game against the Steelers at Heinz Field, Flacco had a significantly more troublesome time against Dick LeBeau’s defense in the next two meetings.

He completed just 11 of 28 passes for 115 yards and was intercepted twice in the Steelers’ 13-9 victory Dec. 14 in M&T Bank Stadium. And he was 13 of 30 for 141 yards and intercepted three times in the AFC Championship game in Heinz Field. His combined passer rating for those two games was 17.1.

What’s more, Flacco was sacked three times and stopped on a fourth-and-1 sneak that led to Santonio Holmes’ 65-yard touchdown pass in the conference championship, won by the Steelers, 23-14.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09333/1017084-66.stm#ixzz0YGVR4SNg

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

As evidence…

Colonel queried on play calling

State Police Superintendent Col. Mike Edmonson had a lot to answer for when he presented budget-cutting measures to a legislative committee Tuesday. But he didn’t have all the answers committee members were looking for.

“Colonel, in all your years with LSU, have you ever witnessed a play like that?” asked state Rep. Tom McVea, R-St. Francisville, referring to a play in the last second of the LSU-Ole Miss game when sophomore quarterback Jordan Jefferson spiked the ball.

Edmonson, who volunteered as head of security for the LSU football program for 26 years, was speechless.

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Action begins shortly from The Emirates stadium; don’t miss this one!!

ManUFan on November 29, 2009 at 10:21 AM

WHO CARES????

TTheoLogan on November 29, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

LOL, I am in New Hampshire and didn’t even know the UNH football team was still playing. This time of year everyone here is usually following their hockey team.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM

ManUFan on November 29, 2009 at 10:21 AM

WHO CARES????

TTheoLogan on November 29, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I guess he does. Must be a big soccer fan.

TTheoLogan….for a religious type you sure are an as*hole

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Having lived in the South most of my life, “What’s hockey?”

LOL!!!!

I’m sure that you understand. I’ve only seen it on TV and I’ve heard that what goes on off camera is just as important and makes it fun to watch.

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM

nothing on the GWB Rummy let OBL get away story Ed?we can add it to the Big Dawg let OBL get away mythology

ginaswo on November 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM

ginaswo on November 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Talk about recycling

Sheesh

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 12:02 PM

STEELERS VICTORY = STOPPING RAY RICE…period.

THE CHOSEN ONE on November 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Is it Palko, or Falco?

BKeyser on November 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

You are a great American.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Who-Dey!!! Who-Dey!!! Who-Dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?

Nooooooooooooooobody!!!!

Tallman6759 on November 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Tallman6759 on November 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Were you the one who said that last week?

So far they have been beat by the:
Broncos , Texans, and Raiders

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Arizona at Tennessee – The Titans are a different team than they were in the first six games, and Chris Johnson is having a great season. Arizona has been up and down this season, but the Titans are all up at the moment. This should be a good game to watch. I’ll pick the same score for the Titans as last week, 20-17 Tennessee.

Come on Ed. Give Vince Young some credit too. Chris Johnson has been good all year, but we all know the reason they’re record is different is because of the QB change.

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Stillers will surprise

This game is a coaching challenge and I think that Coach Tomlin is up to it. A couple of years ago, I had the misfortune of speaking to a Raisin’s fan who was very smug on the basis of McNair as the BR’s QB and a new guy nobody ever heard of staring a coaching career in the burgh.One of the snide remarks concerned how dumb Tomlin looked. Well, that sure worked out well for the fans in the Charm City. In a time when you can’t say black and dumb in the same sentence, the attitude toward Mike Tomlin was a surprise as it came from a pretty liberal person.

Coach Tomlin is in an environment that allows for his freedom to manage and has an organization behind him that does not seem to chase glitter or prima donnas.

Cowboys and Redskins are poster children for the other extreme and their fans show the relationship between religion, sports obsession and stupidity.

If the D and special teams show up, Dem Stillers have a chance. I am a big fan of letting the commanders command and the soldiers fight. And now back to our Afghan War strategy….

IlikedAUH2O on November 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Looks like the Colts D stayed home…

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Deshaun Jackson is slacking. He only had a 35 yard touchdown, his shortest of the year. MVP

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Peyton is doing a better job in his commercials than in his job!!

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 1:43 PM

ginaswo on November 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Headlines Section.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Ed,
MJD WILL be playing today, unless you heard something Jaguar nation hasnt.

Squid Shark on November 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Thank you!

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Peyton is doing a better job in his commercials than in his job!!

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 1:43 PM

As a Texan fan, I won’t rest unless we would be, say, 45 or so points ahead, with 5 minutes left in the game. Manning is a Manning.

TXUS on November 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM

@Gatordoug and TimTebow, you are both great Americans and a credit to Gator Nation. :)

Squid Shark on November 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Squid Shark on November 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Thank you, that is very kind!

Gatordoug on November 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Ed,
MJD WILL be playing today, unless you heard something Jaguar nation hasnt.

Squid Shark on November 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Exactly. I just woke up and I see this and almost had a heart attack. My fantasy team is based on Mo Jo and Favre (yes, even though I’m a Packer backer for life). Thanks for the eye-opener, Ed. But I just checked ESPN and yes, Mo Jo will be playing.

Badger in KC on November 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving!! I have been around this site for about 4 years now & know that when a loyal HA guy need some help, He can ask for it here and get the support he needs from you all! This is kinda football related!! I entered the “NFL Director of Fandemonium” contest and out of 200,000 entries, I am one of 32 finalists for the contest. I need your help by going to VOTE for me,( I know VOTING is very important to us all here) The link will take you to my page to vote & you just might get lucky & win a trip to the Super Bowl just for voting!! Thanks to all the HA posters & commenters for your help!! I love this site!! Please help me out!! http://www.nfl-monster.com/#Candidate-Miami-Dolphins

relpayme on November 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I’m sitting here watching the Texans dish it to the Colts, and hoping against hope that they keep it up. But I have to admit, it’s only because I want to see the Saints have one shining moment as the only undefeated team in the NFL :)

Kelli_D on November 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

And… nevermind. I should have known it was too good to be true.

Kelli_D on November 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Oh ye of little faith. Despite a slow start, the Colts are now taking it to Houstan. Up by 8 and no looking back.

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Colts put it in the bag when they absolutely destroy Texans in the 4th quarter. 28 unanswered points in the second half. Easy to see why they are the best team in the league.

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I hate gloaters but the Colts are awesome! I was busy cleaning up and getting ready for next week, Colts down, looking weak. Next thing I know the Colts are ahead, up to 35 points!

Spunky06 on November 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM

What are the Saints, chumps?

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM

As a serious Who Dat Fan tomorrow night scares the heck out of me.

Dire Straits on November 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM

It took three plays before the Bears defense could stop the Vikings short of a first down. Gonna be a long day.

Jaibones on November 29, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Hu Dey!!!

Bengals go 6-0 in their Division.

Bye bye, Pittsburg.

Bye, bye Ravens.

CPT. Charles on November 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM

CPT. Charles on November 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Still early enough to change. If you have been a gals fan for long you know they tend to know how to screw things up. Enjoy though it appears it is there year. You never know how long it will be til they get back to this point. See: Bengals History.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM

True enough. He11, Palmer might break an arm next game.

Ya never know about these things.

Ever.

That being said, if the Steelers and Bengals meet again, it won’t be at Heinz Field.

Welcome to the Jungle, baby.

CPT. Charles on November 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM

As I said, unless you’re up on Indy by 45 points with 5 minutes left in the game, you’re going down.

As my team, the Toxins, now has as much chance for the playoffs as an honest person would have in the Obama administration, I’ll now be pulling for the Colts for the rest of the stretch in the AFC.

Still prayin’ for the Boyz in the NFC, but the Saints are marchin’ in.

Hat’s off to PM and the Hosses.

TXUS on November 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

What are the Saints, chumps?

We’ll see tomorrow night. I think they are possibly third in the league now. But that may change.

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM

It was a pleasure to watch the Seahawks perform as a real NFL team today. Granted they were playing the Rams, but it was nice to see the Hawks running the ball successfully. Their D-line had a few sacks and pressured Boller into throwing a few INTs including a Pick 6. More please.

Mallard T. Drake on November 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM

1. New Orleans

2. Indianapolis

3. Minnesota

4. New England

5. Cincinnati

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

BTW if anyone is bored by this Vikings blowout, the History Channel is repeating their fine new documentary about the Beatles-goes until 6 PM Eastern time.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM

CPT. Charles on November 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM

How long have you waited to say that?

The Steelers in recent history have in general done better in Cincy than at home.

Also, don’t forget Superbowl XL where the Steelers ran the table on the road.

Do don’t count on the home field advantage being an advantage.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Badger in KC on November 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Correction, Ed was clairvoyant, it seems there is a guy wearing MJD’s jersey but it is not him.

Squid Shark on November 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM

How about those Chargers!

Theworldisnotenough on November 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM

CPT, I wouldn’t get too excited about the Bengals until they win a playoff game or two. Some of the Titans got a little too excited about beating the Steelers last year and look what happened to them.

forest on November 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM

ESPN wouldn’t know a power ranking if it grew wings, flew up and bit them on the ass.

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM

That’s quite true [hfa]. It didn’t help the Steelers at all.

All those ‘terrible towels’ may as well been propeller beanies.

And yeah, I am enjoying this. Guess why?

PS – - let’s see how they do without Ben tonight.

I’m looking forward to it. Really I am.

PPS – - are the refs in the Viks/Bears game being paid by how many flags they throw? Yeash.

CPT. Charles on November 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

The Cover-girl in Chief’s power ranking (whom he picks to win):

1. Iran
2. North Korea
3. Russia
4. China
5. Venezuela

TXUS on November 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Squid Shark on November 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I am looking forward to the Gators exposing ‘Bama for the fraud they are next week.

Now if there was just a way for the Gators to play the Horned Frogs for the championship instead of UT. After UT’s embarrassing barely win against the Aggies last week – you could just see how mismatched the championship game is going to be. Tebow & the Gators are going to destroy Colt McCoy & the Longhorns, so much so the game will probably be boring.

Go Gators!

batterup on November 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

That’s quite true [hfa]. It didn’t help the Steelers at all.

CPT. Charles on November 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Mr. Obtuse the point is that they actually do quite well in Paul Brown Stadium. They might even sign Kimo for a game…I kid I kid.

CWforFreedom on November 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I was rooting for Arizona, but what a game Ariz-Tennessee turned out to be. Wow.

Vince Young redeemed himself just a bit.

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Ahem…Ahem…give Vince his props. Leinart’s going to have nightmares of him, beating him on fourth down in the last ten seconds every time he faces him.

Drive: 18 plays, 99 yards in 2:37

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM

batterup on November 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Sorry, the Tide’s gonna roll next weekend. By 3. But if I were still wagering, I’d bet against whatever the line comes in at on Thursday.

TXUS on November 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Drive: 18 plays, 99 yards in 2:37

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Vince was very good today.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

This just in…

NFL will get permission from Vince Young to play the fourth quarter of every game because he owns it.

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

CBS Sports

1. Indianapolis

2. New Orleans

3. Minnesota

4. New England

5. Dallas

So, 4 of the 5 have Indy at #2. A lot of that was based on their November record no doubt. They won games but not by much.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Indy
Pats
Saints
Minn
San Diego

Tomorrow’s game will shuffle that a bit, I’m sure. (DAllas at #5? Bwhahahhah)

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Tomorrow’s game will shuffle that a bit, I’m sure. (DAllas at #5? Bwhahahhah)

tommyboy on November 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Even as an Eagles fan I think Dallas is spot on at #5. These are still November power rankings, right?

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

He better own it next week when they play Indy.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hines Ward is a total ass questioning Ben R. not playing (as shown on NBC just now). Any idiot knows you just can’t risk a concussion on top of a previous one. I thought Hines Ward was a jerk. Now I know it.

I am no Ben R. fan and certainly not a Steelers fan. But his not playing is the right thing. I would respect the Steelers even less if he did play tonight.

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Sunday night football would be much more fun without Olbydouch.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

He better own it next week when they play Indy.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

He might not even need to. CJ will probably run for 300 yards against that “defense”. These two picks today don’t really count, since Matt Schaub and the Texans are the Bizzaro Vince Young and the Titans. They give it away in the fourth.

Indy’s defense definitely could hurt them down the road, though that fluke against the Pats basically clinched home field advantage it for them. It’s still going to be a problem in the playoffs. If they had to play the Championship game in New England I’d guarantee they lose. If Tennessee wins next week they have a good shot at running the table and making the playoffs, three out of their final four games are at home, minus one away game at Seattle. The rest of the Texans schedule is @IND, STL, MIA, SD, and @SEA. Their defense isn’t the same without Haynesworth, but still formidable. This is starting to remind me a little of the Ravens when they ran the table to get in the playoffs and they never stopped, except Baltimore’s defense was legendary, but their QB and RB were nothing like the Texans currently have. I just hope Matt Millen’s faith in them running the table last week after MNF doesn’t jinx them.

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I wasn’t actually considering the Colts D as a problem for the Titans, but Manning…he seems to always find a way. But I also think they are due a loss, so a loss to the Titans would be extra sweet.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM