NFL week 12 open thread

posted at 10:00 am on November 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Things are looking bad for Steeler Nation this week.  Not only did the Pittsburgh Steelers lose to the lowly Kansas City Chiefs last week, they lost Big Ben Roethlisberger for the game.  After having “concussion-like symptoms” after a hit in KC, Roethlisberger practiced all week for today’s game against the Baltimore Ravens — but yesterday, the Steelers moved him down to #3 behind Dennis Dixon and newly-signed Tyler “Who?” Palko.   However, the Ravens have lost four of their last six games and couldn’t score a TD against Indianapolis last week, either.  I’m going to stay a true believer and predict the Steelers D wins the game for Pittsburgh and puts them back in the playoff picture, 16-12.

Last week, I did a little better at 4-3.  Who would have thought both the Steelers and the Bengals would lose to the bottom half of the AFC West?  Who would have thought that the best game of the week was between two 1-8 teams?  Crazy.  Let’s see if it stays crazy this week:

• Chicago at Minnesota – Da Bears have been as inconsistent as the Vikes have been relentless.  Expect the Vikings defense to have a big, big day against Jay Cutler, especially after they take away the run.  Brett Favre gets three more TDs in a walk, 34-13.
  • Indianapolis at Houston – A couple of weeks ago, I would have picked Houston, but the Colts keep finding a way to win.  Can they stay unbeaten?  I think they can.  I’ll say 24-21 Indy.
  • New England at New Orleans – I know that people hate to pick against the Patriots and think that the Saints are just waiting for a comedown game, but the Saints are playing at home, and the Patriots aren’t as dominating as in the past.  I’m picking the Saints in a shootout, 38-28.
  • Arizona at Tennessee – The Titans are a different team than they were in the first six games, and Chris Johnson is having a great season.  Arizona has been up and down this season, but the Titans are all up at the moment.  This should be a good game to watch.  I’ll pick the same score for the Titans as last week, 20-17 Tennessee.
  • Jacksonville at San Francisco – Two inconsistent teams that have shown flashes of brilliance this season, but the Jaguars won’t have Maurice Jones-Drew.  Mike Singletary will glare his team to victory, 23-17.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

batterup on November 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Hey–good Gators think alike! Either way, AL/FL will be a great game. I actually am feeling better about the Gators; solid win again FSU and Arkansas did very well against LSU and MS State against Ole Miss.

I couldn’t agree more on UT. The Big 12 just isn’t that great. I would put the ACC and Big 12 as above the same and look what happened to the ACC over the weekend. It’d be a travesty if Colt McCoy gets the Heisman. Spikes et al will destroy UT; TCU will at least be interesting to watch.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I wasn’t actually considering the Colts D as a problem for the Titans, but Manning…he seems to always find a way. But I also think they are due a loss, so a loss to the Titans would be extra sweet.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

The Colts D is a problem for the Colts, maybe I wasn’t clear. I can’t wait to see the moneyline for the game because this matchup is similar to the Colts when they used to play Jacksonville a few years ago and JAX had their number because Jackson and Drew-Jones would run over them at will, then throw Vince Young into the mix and it could get really ugly. I would not want to be a Fantasy Team that plays against CJ next week. Colts will not be undefeated after next week.

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I see the Hockalug ref crew is already intent on rigging this game.

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Go Ravens! Yeah!

mike_NC9 on November 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I’m no Ravens fan (putting it mildly) but go see “The Blind Side” worth the price of admission

Willie on November 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM

OHHHH! VOMIT! “United We Serve is supported by the NFL” commercial featuring Drew Brees tossing one to the One. Go to hell you socialist bastards.

Fishoutofwater on November 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM

What a dilemma! I will never root for the Steelers. But my man, former Duck Dennis Dixon is QBing. Is there a way to root FOR Dixon yet hope the Steelers lose?

Mallard T. Drake on November 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Mallard T. Drake on November 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Oh yeah, I do it all the time for the Cowboys’ Jason Whitten. I hate the Cowboys with bone deep passion, but I always want Jason Whitten to have a great day – he’s from my area and he is a great guy…gives back to this community and doesn’t forget where he is from.

ladyingray on November 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Meanwhile, the Vikings keep cruising with Brett Favre looking like the MVP & with a defense that held Chicago to 2 yards total offense in the 2nd half.

LFRGary on November 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Who Dey, baby. Bengals win the 2nd Battle of Ohio this year and sweep the AFC North. The Browns aren’t looking so hot, but the Bengals need to get some more offense going if they hope to defeat Minnesota (a long shot) or San Diego (doable but very tough) and do any damage in the postseason.

Wellsy on November 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Titans v. Colts ought to be really interesting next week. Today’s game against the Cardinals was GOTY material so far. 4 seconds on the clock, 4th and goal, needing a touchdown, Vince Young throws a dart to a rookie. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was really wrong about Young after last year’s meltdown. I figured he would never play another down in the NFL barring season-ending injury to the starting QB.

Hat’s off to you, Vince! You are the real deal.

Tennman on November 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I, too, was annoyed by that Obama-worshipping NFL ad. Do they really think the average NFL fan likes Obama?

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Now a dilemma – I HATE the Patriots (like all the Boston teams) but they are playing against Drew Brees and the Saints Monday night. Drew Brees just appeared in that disgusting commercial for socialism, tossing a pass to Teh Won on the White House lawn, in all its fawning glory. How can I hate anyone more than the Patriots? I think I just found out. GO NEW ENGLAND!!!!

Fishoutofwater on November 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I noticed a couple of Ed’s Steelers in that ad, too.

(Like I need a reason to hate the Steelers more.)

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Fishoutofwater on November 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM

That is something that is beyond me. Brees is totally supportive of the military at Gitmo and in the Middle East and visits them when he can. He also is very tight with the Manning family in New Orleans who are far from being liberal, much less leftist.

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Wow, an obvious Steeler interference not called . . . of course.

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I never root for the Steelers, living in Dallas and all, but they don’t have a lying accessory to murder on their team, so GO STEELERS!!!

Sponge on November 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Fishoutofwater on November 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM

You’re surprised after the railroad of Rush by the no fun league?

Sponge on November 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Geez, where would the Steelers be without these phantom tripping calls? The 12th man tried but couldn’t invent a penalty on fourth down.

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Tomorrow is opening day of deer season in PA. Looks like there will be lots of tired hunters in the woods in the morning.

byepartisan on November 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Yessssssssss!

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I’m going to stay a true believer and predict the Ravens D wins the game for Baltimore and puts the Steelers in a rock and a hard place, 16-12.

FIFY

FontanaConservative on November 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Great job, Dixon! The Steel Curtain gave up the lead. Ray Rice was awesome. Go, Ducks in this Thursday’s Civil War!

Christien on November 30, 2009 at 12:15 AM

LevStrauss on November 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Where would these threads be without the cussing of the refs whne baby’s game doesn’t go like baby wants it to go?

FontanaConservative on November 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM

That was way out on a limb. A top ten ranked defense beating a third string QB?

WannabeAnglican on November 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM

The real almighty is gonna make dubious calls in the next life and the whole Anglican and Episocopal approach is gonna look even more fey than they do around here.

Congrats to the Ravens.

IlikedAUH2O on November 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Kermit on November 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I’m pretty sure Brees was NOT happy being “asked” by the NFL to appear in an ad with Barry. Hell, I wonder if he even KNEW Barry was going to be in the ad, since there did seem to be a lot of green-screen effects going on. I’m sure he’s taking extra showers to wash off the humiliation he is feeling.

Fed45 on November 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM

IlikedAUH20 on November 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM

And what would any thread be without a jerk being a jerk?

WannabeAnglican on November 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Ravens and Steelers both have a couple of “should-wins” coming up before their rematch in Pittsburgh. How they each handle those may be as important to their respective playoff hopes as the game against each other. Would someone please tell Rothlis…whatever how stupid he looks with his hat on backwards. How demoralized is Houston after they had the Colts on the ropes and couldn’t put them away? Go Colts!
If the Pats have any pride left, they will be out for blood tonight. I’ll go out on a limb and say it could be worth watching.

SKYFOX on November 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

It seems no one wants that last AFC wild card. I wonder who gets it anyway.

I still wouldn’t be shocked if it’s the Steelers.

WannabeAnglican on November 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

The Vikings all the way to the Super Bowl.

Timber Wolf on November 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Underestimating the Pats eh? Look at their last few games… they’re starting to play like the ol’ Pats. Yes they lost to the Colts but look how much they dominated them the first half. Biggest thing I see they need to work on is on the ‘D’ and you bet that Belichick has been whipping them since that loss(as well as himself for that bad call).

scrubbiedude on November 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM

The Vikings all the way to the Super Bowl.

Timber Wolf on November 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM

They may have their work cut out for them, as New Orleans looks like they have the lead for home field thru the playoffs. That hasn’t hurt the Vikes in the past, as they moidered the Who-Dats in 1988 in the Saints’ very first playoff game in team history (at the Dome), and they have since knocked the Saints out of the playoffs at least once. But I have been a Saints fan for almost as long as I have been a New England fan (since the late 1960s) and this is the best Saints team I have ever experienced. The coach-QB symbiosis is special.

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM