Video: Palin, like, totally pwn3d by Canadian comedian or something

posted at 2:47 pm on November 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Think Progress, this one’s making the rounds on liberal blogs but even left-leaning Mediate can’t fathom why (“the video actually acquits Palin quite well”). The politics are elementary: She gets ambushed with a question about a boutique subject, i.e. Canadian health-care policy, and offers a boilerplate answer about carving out space for competition from the private sector (which is precisely what Canada’s been doing, when it’s not busy sending patients it can’t treat over the border for medical care). Ho hum. What makes it worth watching is the fact that the “comedian” actually got close enough to Palin to hit her with a gotcha question — and this is the best she could do. There are literally a million snotty/funny one-liners a talented comic could come up with for Sarahcuda — imagine what Robert Smigel would do with 30 seconds as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog — and these people, who are billed as Canada’s answer to The Daily Show if you can believe it, whiffed on all of them. Merely mentioning Levi Johnston’s bare ass in her presence would have earned an obligatory embarrassment chuckle, but they couldn’t even muster that. Never have I appreciated Jon Stewart more. And I don’t even like Jon Stewart.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I was in Canada about a year ago and I was shocked at how much the Canadians talk about us Yanks. All the friggin’ time! I went on a tour at a museum and America was mentioned in practically every other sentence. Absolutely floored because I don’t think that I or anyone that I have ever met has ever talked about Canada…at all. Just sayin’.

NavyMustang on November 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Yeah, I noticed that years ago, when I traveled a bit around the UK and constantly bumped into Aussies and Canadians. I noticed in pubs and restaurants that they always talked about us. It was strange. I think they regard us as Big Daddy, who they blame for everything.

atheling on November 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Schadenfreude on November 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Hum, I thought “owned” was when you have been “played, pawned and punked” all 3?

DSchoen on November 28, 2009 at 5:20 AM

“And as to everyone who’s wondering why this would seem funny”

This “comedy” is from Canada therefore you must be drunk to get the joke.

DSchoen on November 28, 2009 at 5:34 AM

Everything I need to know about Canada I learned from South Park.

CANADA ON STRIKE!

Talon on November 28, 2009 at 6:34 AM

It’s womanish.

atheling on November 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM

No need to slander all women. Get to the point: It’s bitchy.

maverick muse on November 28, 2009 at 6:47 AM

It has LOOONNNGGG overstayed its welcome. Much like “Royal Canadian Air Farce.”

They bombed more than the real thing. Fortunately it’s no longer with us. Say…

Grunchy Cranola on November 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM

A train wreck has more poetry.

EMD on November 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Canadian Health-Care System, despite the “private sector investment” is essentially A GOVERNMENT-RUN system.

That idiotic Canadian comedianne is just plain lunatic.

TheAlamos on November 28, 2009 at 9:12 AM

If I’m not mistaken (it did happen that one time), SCTV stands for second city television, which is a reference to Chicago, not Canada.

Yes, but the frequently brilliant SCTV was based in Canada.

Enjoy!

SagebrushPuppet on November 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I wonder how Red Green is doing. Now that and Corner Gas was a better reflection on the Canuks.

Clyde5445 on November 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I still think the SNL skit over Obama’s trip to China was the funniest I’ve seen since the original SNL shows way back in the stone ages.

That was superb, funny, and perfectly executed.

AnninCA on November 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM

the fact allah knows this guys name and watches canadian “comedy” explains all you need to know.

peacenprosperity on November 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I’d like to see her try that with Obama.

After the gatecrashers, the Secret Service would throw her and her cameraman to the ground. It would be pretty funny.

J_Crater on November 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

The “comedian” wasn’t funny, but was rude and malicious.

The “comedian” acted dishonestly when escorted out. The comedian was making a scene.

If the comedian wanted a book signed the comedian could have gotten in line, been respectful, and followed etiquette like everyone else in the line, but the comedian chose instead to bypass the line and ambush Sarah.

The comedian needs to find another line of work, like rattle snake wrangler in Arizona, USA.

Of course this “comedian” could try doing that with Islamic Imams, al Qaeda members, black “leaders” such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Malik Shabaaz, or even such oracles as over rated, underwhelming celebrity Janeane Garofolo, or even The Messiah, Barrack Hussein Obama, or his gaftastic side kick Joe Biden, or his other America is a mean country side kick, Michelle Obama.

Somehow I doubt that this “comedian” would get an opportunity to do so, but if the “comedian” did so I am strongly certain that the results would not be good for “the comedian.”

Sarah Palin did nothing to be excoriated for in this clip. She was actually quite warm and accomodating, and friendly.

William2006 on November 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

And this is meaningful because…..?

Nalea on November 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM

The real story here is that Sarah passed a threshold moment.

Because she was so unknown, every single story that involved her used to trigger massive negative reactions.

No more.

Now, people are laying back, evaluating stories on more sensible measurements.

Not only did she sell a boatload of books with this plan, but she also stopped the automatic judgmentalism.

That is not too shabby for less than a year out of the eye of the storm.

AnninCA on November 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Yes, but there is a Second City troupe out of Toronto as well. That troupe gave us the likes of Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner,John Candy, Catherine O’Hara, Joe Flaherty, Betty Thomas, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Mike Meyers, and Dave Foley. Has there been a decent Canadian comedian since any of the aforementioned? Seems things dried up after 80′s. (Jim Carey being debatable).

Fed45 on November 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I forgot to mention Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas–”The Great White North” (“good day, eh?” “hoser”, “take off! No! you take off!”)

Fed45 on November 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, because here in Canada all we do is talk about Americans and run across the border to pay for American health care.
This place has become some kind of stoopid.

pcbedamned on November 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I like this site most of the time, but when it has anything to do with Canada, especially health care, they all turn into tin foil wearing crazies that would make the worst birther and 9/11 conspiracy theorist blush.

MrX on November 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM

MrX on November 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM

“Looking at prior examples” = “Conspiracy theory”

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

pcbedamned on November 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I agree, it’s not fair. That’s not all you do. You also complain about Americans.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM

“I wish those stupid Americans would stop talking about how much we whine and complain. Leave us alone!”

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Well, she’s not exactly another Stephen Leacock.

GreenBlade on November 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM

That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever wasted 2 minutes on. Where was the comedy?

Sue on November 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I never thought canadians were very funny.

LtE126 on November 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Why dont’cha run on over to a Tim Horton’s and stuff your pie-hole with a maple bar, hoser.

Wyznowski on November 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM

NavyMustang on November 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM

atheling on November 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Yeah, they talk about “Yanks” in other countries like Pakistan, Syria, Mexico and France, too! However, it is a slightly different tone you will hear in those countries.

yubley on November 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Clyde5445 on November 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Both those shows are no longer on the air now. More’s the pity. However, I as a Canadian would like to formally apologize for American-haters here like Rick Mercer. I cannot beieve the CBC keeps this jackass on the air, he is such a f**ing loser ! Please don’t get the idea we all have this sick attitude. I try to avoid listening to any talk radio up here because all they do is drool over the “Chosen Won” and attack Sarah Palin all supposedly because it is the “hip” thing to do.

cableguy615 on November 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I never thought canadians were very funny.

LtE126 on November 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Except for Mike Myers and I, we’re not! ;-)

cableguy615 on November 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

It doesn’t bother me that many (or even most) Canadians complain about the US. When I was in the Army most of us complained about it pretty much all of the time. Didn’t mean a thing, and I fondly recall my meager service to Uncle Sugar. I think our relationship with Canada is something like that. They complain because we are the biggest dog on the porch, but they wouldn’t think of leaving the porch. And we wouldn’t think of kicking them off the porch, even if we could. Complain away, Canadian cousins. It’s all good. We love you. We just don’t feel the need to get all mushy about it.

SKYFOX on November 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I forgot to mention Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas–”The Great White North” (”good day, eh?” “hoser”, “take off! No! you take off!”)

Still waiting to hear 12 Beers of Xmas by Bob and Doug!

RIP John Candy!

cableguy615 on November 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Up here in Canada we have a name for funny Canadian comedians, they are called �American comedians�.

poxoma on November 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I am indifferent to this comment.

That’s Mary Walsh and she is much more ugly than she is funny! As a previous post commented the show oughta be called “This Hour is 22 minutes too long”

cableguy615 on November 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Another reason I don’t worship former Governor Palin.

My answer would have been that “Canadians can just keep coming to countries with better health care if they are really sick. They do that now, and we need the money. And try being civil enough to make an appointment if you are going to show up with a camera and sound crew, you cow.”

IlikedAUH2O on November 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Still waiting to hear 12 Beers of Xmas by Bob and Doug!

Enjoy

Fed45 on November 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I can’t remember a more stupid reporter/shtick than this. TV has become mind rot.

paul1149 on November 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I’ve watched the clip and read the comments but I still don’t understand how people perceive Palin as pwn3d. I guess you have to be in the I hate Palin crowd to get it.

katiejane on November 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM

katiejane on November 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Only Allahpundit, and other left wing loons think this somehow reflects poorly on Sarah Palin.

Let’s recap:

Some woman with a microphone screams a question at Sarah. Sarah nicely answers (correctly I might add) and keeps on signing books.

Sarah’s crime?

She was nice to someone who she didn’t know. That bitch! When is she gonna learn!!!??!!??!!

The bottom line is this: Allahpundit is a tedious little man.

gary4205 on November 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I guess you have to be in the I hate Palin crowd to get it.

katiejane on November 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Remember their M.O. Repeat it over and over and over. Soon lies become truth.

CWforFreedom on November 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Oh, Sarah totally OWNED that woman! What a sorry excuse for the fairer sex. Beyotch.

Anyone who thinks Sarah’s voice is annoying, I DARE you to say this gasbag’s is more tolerable than Sarah’s. Oookay?

MsUnderestimated on November 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM

This is what government comedy looks like

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on November 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Still waiting to hear 12 Beers of Xmas by Bob and Doug!
Enjoy

Fed45 on November 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Thank you so much !! A classic !!

Just wish they hadn’t skipped the 9th 10th and 11 th days LOL!

cableguy615 on November 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Remember their M.O. Repeat it over and over and over. Soon lies become truth.

CWforFreedom on November 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I understand that but sheesh – aren’t they EVER embarrassed by what unbelievable cr*p they spin?

katiejane on November 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM

This is what government comedy looks like

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on November 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Like I said … CBC gov’t approved Lib-drivel. I have no idea why Colin Mochrie signed on to this sh*t show , when he had already proven in Whose Line Is it Anyway he was capable of so much more!

cableguy615 on November 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I’m sure she’s a perfectly nice person, but Sarah Palin is just not that bright, and that’s okay. Whatever.

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM

It’s always nice to hear from folks who get their news from SNL skits.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Sorry Treacher. Basing my opinion regarding Palin on interviews, speeches and her book. I stopped watching SNL over 10 years ago. Palin is very superficial in her policy positions and she lacks intellectual curiosity IMO. BTW, you can kiss my ass.

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Since this shtick was posted I’ve been doing a little poll among friends and haven’t found one person that knew ‘This Hour Has 22 Minutes’ was still on. Then again, I couldn’t find anybody that could name a single program currently running on CBC either. Other than Hockey Night In Canada of course.

13blackcats on November 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Your utter confidence in your research really shines through.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Does anyone remember allah doing anything about sports? allah seems to know alot about smarmy liberal unfunny comedians but I don’t remember any sports commentary. I remember allah claiming Mary Katherine Ham was a good friend but I also remember alot of catty remarks about MKH. Is allah a man that is not interested in sports or is allah a woman? And a liberal woman who worships celebrities at that?

peacenprosperity on November 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM

13blackcats on November 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Is Durham County on CBC? I hear that’s pretty good. Never could get into Da Vinci’s Inquest when it was syndicated down here.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM

The more that I think about it, allah seems to be very interested in what noonan and parker have to say, is never very critical of hillary and loves kirsten.

I’m starting to think allah is a liberal, democrat lesbian.

peacenprosperity on November 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Like I said Treacher, kiss my ass. Palin is a lightweight populist. She’s also a fundamentalist. In other words, not a conservative. BTW, your twitter feed is exceedingly lame and unoriginal.

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Like I said Treacher, kiss my ass.

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Yes, your contribution to the discussion has been noted.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Thanks Treach. When are you going to start contributing to the discussion?

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Thanks Treach. When are you going to start contributing to the discussion?

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Just as soon as you’ve exhausted your seemingly limitless arsenal of Wildean retorts.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Nice. Well played Treach. Look forward to picking it up on another thread sometime soon.

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Hurry back.

Jim Treacher on November 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM

“lacks intellectual curiosity”

Ever notice how often the line is used by Parrots and trolls?

DSchoen on November 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Thanks Treach. When are you going to start contributing to the discussion?

dakine on November 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Delicious irony.

atheling on November 29, 2009 at 12:00 AM

“lacks intellectual curiosity”
Ever notice how often the line is used by Parrots and trolls?

DSchoen on November 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Yup. It’s one of their talking points.

dakine once bragged that he’s smarter than everyone here because he works with smart people. I’m not joking.

atheling on November 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Hey there atheling. How ya been sweetheart?

dakine on November 29, 2009 at 12:03 AM

atheling on November 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Well, you can hardly expect rocket scientists to empty their own wastepaper baskets.

Jim Treacher on November 29, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Has there been a decent Canadian comedian since any of the aforementioned? Seems things dried up after 80’s. (Jim Carey being debatable).

Fed45 on November 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I remember Jim Carrey when he was the unknown James Carrey on the short-lived NBC series The Duck Factory playing a wet-behind-the-ears animator trying to make his way in the TV cartoon biz. I couldn’t stand Carrey on In Living Color, but that had more to do with the fact that I don’t like the Wayans brothers’ brand of humor (although Damon has stood out from the family and done some decent work). I gave the first Ace Ventura movie a chance one night on TV, and was amazed to find myself laughing on occasion. Then I saw Liar Liar and laughed so hard it hurt. IMHO, Liar Liar‘s penultimate courtroom scene is some of the greatest comic acting in the history of celluloid.

I miss that Jim Carrey. He made a big honking career mistake doing that Lemony Snicket movie. Now, it seems he’s happy doing animated stuff and sleepwalking his way through movies like Fun With Dick and Jane (a remake of a movie that wasn’t great to begin with) while living his real life with Jenny McCarthy (and her “cured” autistic son). There’s nothing wrong with him taking his real life more seriously than his acting, of course. I just miss enjoying watching someone as funny as he can be if he wants to be.

Who are the funny guys in the movies nowadays? Will Ferrell? Puhleeeze. Mike Myers? Not after The Love Guru.

L.N. Smithee on November 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Why did you even waste the bandwidth on this? You just wanted to write that headline, didn’t you? It’s okay to admit it.

gitarfan on November 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

dakine

Living proof that the term “idiot leftist” is a redundancy.

mcassill on November 29, 2009 at 10:44 AM

The best part of the Palin book tour are the interviews with the semi-literate dregs that wait on line to meet her. Check these winners out on youtube.

simplesimon on November 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

simplesimon on November 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Here’s why I’ll never be a lib.
I have never met a conservative as ridiculously hateful as you are. You need a hug, a BJ, or something.

Continue representing your brand well you deranged sycophant. Please tell me you don’t own a gun.

MadDogF on November 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Or a sword, knife, hell, anything but a wiffle bat and I’ll feel safer knowing your all talk.

MadDogF on November 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

simplesimon on November 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Wow, Deb. You found a Palin Thread to snark on. Congratulations. Now go back to watching Doo Wop on PBS. It’s Begathon time again.

kingsjester on November 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Why is this thread still hanging around? It’s like a shirtail relative that refuses to leave after he/she has overstayed his/her welcome.

technopeasant on November 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM

not funny.

long_cat on November 30, 2009 at 1:52 AM

“imagine what Robert Smigel would do with 30 seconds as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog”

Wow. I’ve saved that snippet in my files, and bookmarked it. It perfectly and completely encapsulates your primal disconnect from a very large segment of your reader- and commentership.

On the other hand, the fact that we keep reading and commenting is a testament to how good you are at what you do.

Blogging is definitely an art.

notropis on November 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM