Rasmussen: Approval rating of US health-care system up 20 points since early 2008

posted at 11:50 am on November 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Don’t look now, but a marginalized old hand on the political stage may be making a big comeback.  No, it’s not former VP Dick Cheney, but it’s an entity that had been just as maligned as Joe Biden’s predecessor.  Rasmussen’s latest survey shows that the approval rating of the American medical system has gone up 20 points in the past 18 months, and now has a near-majority of likely voters calling it good or excellent:

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters nationwide now rate the U.S. health care system as good or excellent. That marks a steady increase from 44% at the beginning of October, 35% in May and 29% a year-and-a-half ago.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 27% now say the U.S. health care system is poor.

It is interesting to note that confidence in the system has improved as the debate over health care reform has moved to center stage. The latest polling shows that only 38% favor the health care legislation currently working its way through Congress.

Most liberal voters (51%) now rate the current health care system as poor. However, 62% of conservatives say it’s good or excellent. Among political moderates, 44% say the health care system is good or excellent while 26% say it’s poor.

On a partisan breakdown, the numbers become a little more clear.  Republicans rate it good or excellent by a 64/36 margin.  Independents also have a majority favoring the current system, albeit smaller at 53/46.  Interestingly, 27% of independents rate it as excellent, as opposed to 23% of Republicans.  Democrats, meanwhile, rate it 33/65, far out of pace with the rest of the nation.

That’s not to say that people believe it’s perfect.  A majority of Republicans (54%) and a large plurality of independents (45%) believe that minor changes are needed to the system, presumably around cost.  Among all respondents, 62% said that cost was the biggest problem in the current system; only 18% said a lack of universal coverage.  Majorities of Republicans (70%), independents (67%), and Democrats (52%) agree on that point.  Only 5% of Republicans and 17% of independents thought universal coverage was the primary issue in American health care, and for that matter, only 30% of Democrats think so, too.

Clearly, though, there is little appetite for an overhaul of the system.  In every partisan demographic, that option gains 15% or less support. And the more ObamaCare is seen as an overhaul than a reform, the worse it looks.

Joni Mitchell once sang, “You don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone.”  ObamaCare has made us a lot more appreciative of the current system, with its cost flaws that do need reform — but not in the direction Democrats want to take it.  Next thing we know, the continued bumbling of this administration will have Dick Cheney’s favorables up 20 points as well.  After all, he was languishing in the mid-20s at the end of the last administration, too.

Comments

“They paved paradise hospitals and put up a parking lot morgue”

SouthernGent on November 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

The Judy Collins perspective, finally realized

Let’s see how “democratic” the ‘Democratic Party’ actually is

Janos Hunyadi on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

These polls seem beside the point to me. If you have insurance via work, you probably do like it.

However, unemployment is climbing. And it’s obvious that having no insurance isn’t exactly a great place to be in life.

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

ObamaCare WILL create new jobs:

Morticians
Embalming Fluid Industry
Hearse Builders
Grave Diggers
Cemetery Grave Stone Industry
Cemetery Ground Maintenance

portlandon on November 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

The grass is always greener.

Knucklehead on November 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

thread-hijacking ditzy-troll Alert…….

Janos Hunyadi on November 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Dear Mister President (cc: all lefty statist Dems),

You Lose.

Sincerely,

The American People

JamesLee on November 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM

My heath care insurance is far from the best available, but it’s still one hell of a lot better than what is being proposed by the retards in Washington!

GFW on November 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM

“…the current system, with its cost flaws that do need reform…”

The Repubicans had the congress for 12 years and the WH for 8 and other than the drug plan, what did they do about health care during that time? Did they even offer tort reform? I can’t remember. So don’t give me BS about how Consh*theads and Repubicans want to reform the system because they don’t.

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

“You don’t know what you got ’till it’s gooooonnnee.”

A little old school ‘Cinderella’ never hurt anyone.

Bishop on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Now that would be sweet! Four years of Cheney as President!

WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Ann, you miss one factor in your point. Unemployment is higher than it’s been in many years, and the good/excellent rating on the health care system is at this peak at the same time. Wonder why that is?

JamesLee on November 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Now that would be sweet! Four years of Cheney as President!

WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Are you that freaking stupid?!?

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Health insurance premiums are a drag until you need the benefits, then they are a God send. I can’t imagine fighting with the government to get treatment.

Cindy Munford on November 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Conshhitheads? That really doesn’t work, it’s just lazy on your part.

You need to make the word follow the lyric tone of the original word, such as “Rethuglican”. See? It floooooows.

Now try again.

Bishop on November 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I had a colleague once who would always complain in restaurants about how the food was bad, service was awful, etc. He did it more in the places I liked. So one night we’re in a place we had been before that he had disdained and to see what happened I complained bitterly about the food. “Really?” he said. “I thought this was quite good.”

Got to say, Ed, I’ve always taken this kind of polling with a huge grain of salt.

King Banaian on November 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Now that would be sweet! Four years of Cheney as President!
WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Which one, there are a few to choose from.

Cheney/Cheney 2012 has a nice vibe.

Bishop on November 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

The unemployed get to keep their company insurance if the company has more than 20 employees it’s a federal law called Cobra. There was an update to the law that allows the person to keep their insurance even if the company has less than the required 20 employess. Here in CT there are also plenty of low cost health insurance plans for the unemployed if they can’t keep their health insruance, not sure about the other states.

Johnnyreb on November 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

These polls seem beside the point to me.

Especially when they go against the wishes of my Obamassiah.
We’re $12 TRILLION in debt Ann. What’s hard to understand about that? Or do you run your household that way as well?

GarandFan on November 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

The GOP tried tort reform, albeit in a different arena, in 2004, but the Democratsw blocked it.

Even though Democrats have successfully blocked tort-reform legislation, that issue hasn’t risen to the level of a hot election issue.

If they would have tried tort reform in the area of health care, the story would have been the same.

WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Neither is a bankrupt nation and substandard medical care. I refer you to Argentina and the UK.

a capella on November 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

The Judy Collins perspective, finally realized

Let’s see how “democratic” the ‘Democratic Party’ actually is

Janos Hunyadi on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

That would be “Send In The Clowns.” And right on time, Norman Blitzer shows up.

Patrick S on November 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Are you that freaking stupid?!?

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Don’t you have to be to think limited government and liberty are good things?

WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Fine, as long as libtards don’t give me any BS about how they want to fix it.

donh525 on November 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Cindy Munford on November 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM

You won’t be fighting with the government. Those folks making treatment decisions for you will not be subject to election pressures. They will be appointees.

a capella on November 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM

That would be “Send In The Clowns.” And right on time, Norman Blitzer shows up.

Patrick S on November 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Is he Wolf’s brother or daddy?

VegasRick on November 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Cheney/Cheney 2012 has a nice vibe.

Bishop on November 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I am guessing that they both live in Wyoming. SO if that is true, no can do on that ticket.

It sure would be nice if Liz runs for a Senate seat in the next couple election cycles.

WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Has it occurred to you that Team Barry knew that porkulus wouldn’t create jobs. They welcomed rising unemployment because they hoped the unemployed would look upon Obamacare favorably. Guess that strategy didn’t work out for them, huh.

anXdem on November 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Is he Wolf’s brother or daddy?

VegasRick on November 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Or Norman Wolf Blitzer????

WashJeff on November 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I thought it odd that in the last few months I’ve seen people who’ve never complained about their health insurance suddenly complaining about it. Not mind you anything specific. So I’ve seen the opposite effect – State Media propaganda working its magic.

18-1 on November 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Is he Wolf’s brother or daddy?

VegasRick on November 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I picture him more as Wolf’s “Mini Me”.

venividivici on November 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Not to try hijacking the thread, and this is all I’ll be posting here:

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I found out much later you were on another thread, posting right after I left for dinner at my son’s. If I’d caught you in time, I’d have sent Greetings right then and in time.

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM

That would be “Send In The Clowns.” And right on time, Norman Blitzer shows up.

Patrick S on November 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Except the word is “Clowns” as in Patrick S and his dumbass cohorts at HA.

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Are you that freaking stupid?!?

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM

You’re the expert on ‘freaking stupid’ and “I don’t remember”

Do your posts ever have any informational or factual content?

No? I wonder why that is……

Janos Hunyadi on November 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Is he Wolf’s brother or daddy?

VegasRick on November 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I’m guessing wife.

Patrick S on November 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Except the word is “Clowns” as in Patrick S and his dumbass cohorts at HA.

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Norman ( who just turned 12 today ) is also the expert on clowns and “dumbass cohorts”

Happy Birthday, Norman. Get a life

Janos Hunyadi on November 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Hi Liam!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

AsianGirlInTights on November 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Do your posts ever have any informational or factual content?

No? I wonder why that is……

Janos Hunyadi on November 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM

The guy’s a vitriol factory. It doesn’t bother me, because I’m hoping that some day he’ll just have an aneurysm while posting and croak at his keyboard. I’m not sure why he’s not banned, though. I guess there’s no “minimal substance” rule for posting.

venividivici on November 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Hi Liam!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

AsianGirlInTights on November 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Hi! Yes, I did, thank you so much! I hope the same for you, too!

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Except the word is “Clowns” as in Patrick S and his dumbass cohorts at HA.
Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Keen-edged cutting wit, thy name is Norm.

Bishop on November 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Hi! Yes, I did, thank you so much! I hope the same for you, too!

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I did too! Thanks!

AsianGirlInTights on November 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Keen-edged cutting wit, thy name is Norm.

Bishop on November 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM

LOL!

VegasRick on November 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM

a capella on November 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM

What’s the difference? Every election we will be worried about the ideology of multiple commissions that are political appointees. If it scares us in the judicial system it should terrify us when it comes to our personal decisions, particularly health care. That was demonstrated perfectly in the last two weeks by a government commission that currently has no power over treatment(mammograms & pap smears) but will if this Bill goes through.

Cindy Munford on November 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Well I feel so left out. You know, a woman scorned and all that good stuff/

Good grief, get a room.

Knucklehead on November 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Knucklehead on November 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM

LOL

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Cindy Munford on November 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM

The difference is that many of those positions may be locked in, long term appointments, not subject to election results and entirely unaccountable for their decisions. Think Supreme Court, because in essence, that is what they will be. The donks aren’t going to make themselves vulnerable to what they know is coming in 2010.

a capella on November 27, 2009 at 12:47 PM

a capella on November 27, 2009 at 12:47 PM

That argument is not helping, people who’s ideology I disagree with and who’s qualifications I am suspect of, will have life time appointments? I realize that insurance companies can be a pain but right now they base the preferred treatment on multiple studies of best outcomes, according to reports this pronouncement by the commission last week was based on one and it appear they went shopping for it. And, at least in the House Bill, there area a ridiculous number of commissions involved. Finally there really will be jobs created and saved. Maybe I am just misunderstanding your points. Are you in favor of a government option?

Cindy Munford on November 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Even if I was unemployed and had a mountain of medical bills and I was in need medical attention that I was postponing because of lack of funds….

….I still wouldn’t want to be pushed into ObamaCare nor would I want the rest of the country to be because….

….One day soon I will have a job (with medical insurance) and I will be able to pay the bills….

Why would I or anybody else currently having short-term problems give up these problems for something that is slightly better for me for a short period of time, but have long-term problems for me and everybody else for the long haul?

ConservativeTony on November 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Norman Blizter on November 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Theres nothing wrong with the system that some minor formatting wouldn’t cure, with almost immediate positive results. Allow nation wide insurance purchases..cut the nuts off the lawyers, start collecting that 400 bil. the dims say is just waiting to be scooped up..put the kids on schips, the 30% of the uninsured that make 75k a year and choose to not buy insurance need to be addressed and stop being calculated in the uninsured numbers..for honesty of representing the scope of the problem if for nothing else..educate people on the value of buying insurance and aim that education at the college aged yoots who could buy a policy for about 100. a month..you know..the yoots who spend 500 a month on eating out and partying, -deport every single criminal alien you can winnow out of the population. Take the 8-12 million loser street folks, who choose to not participate in society and give the a chance to change their minds and if they can’t, the just shoot them. Problem solved and its barely noon. Next.
(That last suggestion may have a few bugs in it yet)

There are real problems to deal with, like how to stamp out the disease of progressive liberal mind rot.

Itchee Dryback on November 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM

When the majority of libs say it is poor I bet it means they think it’s bad for the uninsured. Not their own experience.

faol on November 27, 2009 at 1:08 PM

If this bill does go through couldn’t the first civilian threatened with a punishment for refusing to use government healthcare take the case to the supreme court to question the constitutionality of the new law?

shick on November 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Itchee Dryback on November 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM

That’s why we have firearms in calibers of choice, like a ten-year-old firing an M16 on full auto without being knocked on his/her butt.

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I have had way more experience with the health care system than I would have liked to have had in two lifetimes because of serious illnesses and deaths in my immediate family. For now, I’ll give you an example of a serious problem my girlfriend is presently experiencing. Her son is battling a brain tumor, which in Obama’s world of rationing, if it is anything even like Canada, the waiting time alone would mean that he would not have received a CT scan in time and would be gone. However, because he lives in the bad ol USA, he has had treatment at one of the best major teaching hospitals in the country. He has had three surgeries with the top neurosugeon there, had countless CT scans and MRIs and spent four months solid in intensive care with the best of nursing and doctor care. His medical bill must be astronomical. But, he wouldn’t know that because he didn’t pay one cent. And no, he doesn’t have insurance. Who paid? We did. All of us mean old Americans. You see, there is a thing called Medicaid that picks up all medical costs for those who can’t afford insurance. And yes, Obama is and always will spread the incredible lie that people are denied care in this country. IT IS A LIE.
Let me say it again: We have a program called Medicaid which works with the private health care industry. As it is now, you can get care from some of the best hospitals and doctors in the world without a cent of your own insurance or a cent out of your own pocket. So, let obama tell my girlfriend and her son that people are denied health care in this country if they don’t have insurance. Her son is alive today to tell him otherwise.

P.S. Under Obamcare, some faceless political death-panel flunky would probably have denied care to him anyway. Way too expensive when he probably won’t make it – the availabity of intensive care will probably be close to nonexistant with Obama – let alone spend four months there?!!! DENIED!!!!

P.P.S. The other lie to confuse folks is that the system is really complicated. The only complication is when the government gets involved with mountains of paperwork and regulation. And then, it’s the practitioners that deal with the paperwork – not the patients. In a proper free market without unnecessary government control, it could be as simple as payment for service, to a doctor or insurance companies competing across state lines and allowing ownership and portability, as in any other industry. You want complicated? Pass obamadeathpanelcare. You’ll get complicated – and some real bad suffering, and just maybe gone before your time.

tigerlily on November 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

ObamaCare WILL create new jobs:

Morticians
Embalming Fluid Industry
Hearse Builders
Grave Diggers
Cemetery Grave Stone Industry
Cemetery Ground Maintenance

portlandon on November 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Soylent technicians…You won’t need those other jobs…For the recently dead that are too fat and greasy too be turned into nutritious soylent food they can be melted down to make soylent bio – diesel fuel… win win for the won..

huckelberry on November 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Itchee Dryback on November 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM

PLMR is like leprosy. You can’t stamp it out, you can only quarantine it.

venividivici on November 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

His medical bill must be astronomical. But, he wouldn’t know that because he didn’t pay one cent. And no, he doesn’t have insurance. Who paid? We did. All of us mean old Americans. And yes, Obama is and always will spread the incredible lie that people are denied care in this country. IT IS A LIE.

tigerlily on November 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your personal testimony. It is educational for me. It leaves me with a question. Why would liberals continue to push this through knowing the following?

1) Majority of Americans prefer what they got over what they might get.
2) Uninsured people are already covered.

I think the answer can be found with the following information about Obama’s background and connections.

1) He was raised by a communists.
2) In college he sought the best communist professors.
3) He hired known communist agenda pusher Van Jones.
4) He hired plenty of Czars who are part of the Socialistic Democrats organization.
5) Some of these folks pushed the Cloward/Pivens stragegy.
6) The Cloward/Piven strategy suggests the first step in turning over a capitalist system to a socialist system is to bankrupt the capitalist one.

Though Obama’s intent may not exactly look like the former USSR. I think it’s clear that he’s marching in that direction.

shick on November 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Pretty amusing to watch all the moderates get a little nervous over the health care thing.

Buyer’s remorse anybody?

Muwaha!!!

Metro on November 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Metro on November 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM

‘Moderates’ are only libs too scared to admit they’re liberals.

Liam on November 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

AnninCA on November 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I disagree. I know people who do not have insurance who think the health care system is good. I also know some other people who want something for nothing and they want national health care.

Terrye on November 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM

tigerlily on November 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

shick on November 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Once obama gets our health care industry, the holy grail of control over others (and of course then he will refer to it as “my” health care industry), he won’t be marching us toward a USSR type dictatorship. He’ll be rampaging at a dead run.

tigerlily on November 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM

The GOP needs to capitalize by doing two things:

A. Find and “make famous” parts of Obamacare (and the authors) of particularly grievous parts of the healthcare bill.

B. Offer reform alternatives that will work and trumpet them loudly (tort reform, expanding/extending medical flex accounts, tax breaks for insurance premiums).

Hopefully, they can stop Obamacare. If not, and it passes, they have a record of a “better way” to run on for change.

cs89 on November 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Finally, Obama’s done something useful:

You can use this form on Organizing for America’s website to email editors of your local paper as well as USA Today and a few other national publications to express your outrage at the possibility of ObamaCare. Yeah, I know, hold your nose and click the link. I got a “Thank You for Helping Us Achieve Communism!” email after I’d submitted my letters, but a bit of spam is nothing in comparison to helping stamp out this government health care madness. And I got to use their system against them :D

Maybe they should hear the news that the approval rate of the US system is up 20 points in the last two years.

citrus on November 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM