Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on November 24, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’m going to revisit yesterday’s OOTD, because our commenters picked up on something I saw only after I’d posted it.  In Barack Obama’s response to Fox News about the wildly inflated Porkulus job numbers, he testily insisted that he was devoting himself to the creation of new jobs.  Well, devoting himself while devoting himself, actually (emphasis mine):

“The question now is, can we make sure we’re accelerating job growth? That’s my No. 1 job. Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has gotten. And I spend every waking hour, when I’m talking to my economic team, about how we are going to put people back to work.”

He spends every waking hour talking to his economic team?  No.  He spends every waking hour figuring out how to put people back to work?  No.  He spends those “waking hours” when he talks to his economic team … er … talking about economics.  That comes straight from the Department of Redundancy Department.

I’ll bet he spends every waking hour, when he’s talking to his political team, about how he’s going to put himself back into the White House, too.  Maybe next time he’ll actually do something.

Comments

Some reason I just can’t believe this…..

deidre on November 24, 2009 at 8:06 AM

You lie!!!!

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Kinda’ thin this morning, Ed. Surely there is something more offensive.

publiuspen on November 24, 2009 at 8:09 AM

If he had ever worked for anyone besides the government and academia, he might have some kind of clue how to create a job . . .
Lower Taxes and Lower Spending!!!!

phillypolitics on November 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Barry: And I spend every waking hour…

I know you spend. But are you awake? I doubt it.

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM

You lie!!!!

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM

More like Liar Liar pants on fire, tripped and fell on a teleprompter wire…

doriangrey on November 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Still true today: Obama’s zeroeth term.

J in STL on November 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM

That comes straight from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Sorry, Ed. There is nothing straight in the Obama administration. It’s all crooked.

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Oh yeah, he’s just brilliant.

/s

4shoes on November 24, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Perhaps weighty subjects like economics put the POTUS to sleep.

Disturb the Universe on November 24, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Hilarious!!! “I know you spend. But are you awake…..ROFL

justonevictory on November 24, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Aw c’mon. He spends every waking hour talking about himself.

Barb Dwyer on November 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM

How about Ogabe’s first state dinner that no one wants to attend?

Bishop on November 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM

More like Liar Liar pants on fire, tripped and fell on a teleprompter wire…

doriangrey on November 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM

You are good….rhyming so early in the morning.( :
________
OT

On Fox and Friends – Laura Ingrahm just said Senator Ben Nelson isn’t on the list for the President’s State Dinner. Hmmm, he must have had a hissy fit because he didn’t get $300 million dollars in the Health Scam. Too late Ben in Nebraska, you’ve alread sold your soul to the devil.

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM

And I spend every waking hour, when I’m talking to my fellow commenters at HotAir, about how we are going to put Obama out of work.

TXUS on November 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I’m sure he’s spending every waking hour today preparing for his celebrity gala this evening. The dinner is so big, that they had to get a big tent to fit all of his adoring fans.

/The man makes me sick. Absolutely sick.

Key West Reader on November 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM

To fix the unemployment problem, we must pass ObamaCare.

petefrt on November 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM

This guy will never cease to amaze, astound and, to a lesser extent, amuse me.

TimBuk3 on November 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Well, no wonder,when Obama gives a speech,and loses his
thought,it takes at least,ah..um..ah..ah..um..and then
just as he remembers,bam its another long verbal train
wreck,and again fumbles for words,that explains why he
can’t focus on one thing,case in point,Obama now has all
the information on Afghanistan,it’ll take another 6 months
before he makes a decision!!!(Sarc)

canopfor on November 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Personally I hope he doesn’t do anything. What he hasn’t done so far has put my grandchildren in debt up to their eyeballs!

flytier on November 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM

why cant obarfy be part of that 10 percent unemployed

blatantblue on November 24, 2009 at 8:22 AM

He spends every waking hour, when he’s talking to his fiscal destruction team, about how he’s going to destroy the long term fiscal stability of the country.

BadgerHawk on November 24, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Next time Ed?? If everything continues down this road of destruction,I don’t think their will be too many people who are not interested in going to the voting booth to make changes.

ohiobabe on November 24, 2009 at 8:23 AM

If only he’d spend some of his waking hour on Afghanistan…

ladyingray on November 24, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Errr…every waking moment when he’s not playing golf or shooting hoops.

kingsjester on November 24, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I am no english major but that sentence is just bad english. I know they say “gotten” in the south and thats OK but when the ‘most intelligent president Evah” uses bad english it makes him look like the stupid fool that he is.

He should have said ‘Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has got.”

No wonder other world leaders laugh at him. Even the Japs know more about english than the One does. Just saying….

MCW on November 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Barry: “Just as soon as I’m able to tear myself away from gazing at my mezmerizing reflection in this mirror, and after I decide which celebrities I’m going to invite to MY state dinner, and after I work out, I’m going to give some thought to the economy.”

anniekc on November 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

start campaigning against this idjit at the local level. Get involved NOW with local candidates for every level of state & local level. If you live in a 100% blue or red area, please consider sending $ to those of us that have a shot at un-seating a Dem (e.g. state Sen Robt Hurt has the best chance of unseating Dem Tom Perriello, 5th CD Va).

and we can always use you closer to election day working phones etc.

we need to make this a national effort.

kelley in virginia on November 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

But he caaaaaaaarreeeeeeesssssss!

/Libtard

bikermailman on November 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM

rhyming so early in the morning.( :

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Do you have a problem with rhyming timing?

Or was that just a bad morning warning?

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Mr. Morrissey, could you release my post from moderation?

Rovin on November 24, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Mr. Morrissey, could you release my post from moderation?

Rovin on November 24, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Rovin: Is it Nasty!?:)

canopfor on November 24, 2009 at 8:31 AM

This guy just does not care. 10.2% unemployment does not bother him in the least. Where is his emotion, where is his fear.

This guy is pathetic in every sense of the word. I’d like to fight him in the Octagon and see how big of a pussy he really is.

uknowmorethanme on November 24, 2009 at 8:32 AM

anniekc on November 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Barry: “I just have one question. What’s an ‘economic team?’”

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Another thing….

The White House was denying last week that Obama was sitting down with FOX News.

uknowmorethanme on November 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM

But he announced last week that his job summit isn’t actually about creating jobs. Bozo is so confused!

If you want a little unemployment black humor there’s this:

FTA:

Wanted: National Jobs Czar

Employer: The Democratic Party

Job Type: Crisis Management/Complex Mathematics/Mental Health Professional

Start Date: Now. Like, Right Now.

Description: The Democratic Party seeks a wildly optimistic individual to oversee a national jobs-creation program. Jobs can be real, or not, so long as the public thinks the party is “doing something.” The National Jobs Creator will have at his disposal Congress to pass new “jobs legislation” (aka The It-Is-Not-Another-Stimulus Act of 2009).

I have a collection of unemployment related links from the last few days.

CNBC reports on their website that Bozo’s posse is going to “recalculate” the “saved or created” job numbers.

Can’t wait.

dogsoldier on November 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Well Ollie,even before the election,everyone knew
an Obama Administration was going to be absolute
disaster,thats another fine mess you got us into!!
(Snark).

canopfor on November 24, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Do you have a problem with rhyming timing?

Or was that just a bad morning warning?
Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:28 AM

It’s too early
to think for this girly
Got to be off to work
to pay taxes for the D.C. jerk

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Rovin: Is it Nasty!?:)

canopfor on November 24, 2009 at 8:31 AM

It may make you further repulsive of our govenrment canofor, but it’s not what I’d call nasty. I think the link may have kicked it out.

Rovin on November 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I wonder if Obama thinks he actually has to accomplish something to get re-elected, since he never accomplished anything to get elected the first time other than run for office. Just a thought.

bradley11 on November 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM

And I spend every waking hour,[waking]

davidk on November 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM

OK, “accomplish something POSITIVE”. How about that?

bradley11 on November 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Got to be off to work
to pay taxes for the D.C. jerk

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Barry: Another job saved or created, all because of me.

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM

bradley11 on November 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Ahh… you might be on to something.

myrenovations on November 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM

To fix the unemployment problem, we must pass ObamaCare.

petefrt on November 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit..”I love animals, that’s why I kill them.”

Caper29 on November 24, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Barry: Another job saved or created, all because of me.

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM

The Liberals can take credit for putting the “One” in the White House, you see.

Getting him out will have to be up to the other voters, like you and me.

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM

The jobs summit is about how to reach 20% UE before the 2010 elections. He won’t be happy until he surpasses his UE hero FDR.

chemman on November 24, 2009 at 8:50 AM

dogsoldier on November 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Obama says Dec. 3 summit will not create jobs but will examine how to accelerate hiring

1) Form a select committee of political plum appointees.

2) Have lots of meetings over fabulous lunches.

3) Put together a list of employers and invite them to a fabulous meal.

4) Threaten to harass any employer that doesn’t contribute lots of cash to Democrats.

5) Talk about how great you’re doing at creating and saving jobs.

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Ed,

You should have just left it as:

Obowma: “And I spend every waking hour”.

dthorny on November 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Another thing….

uknowmorethanme on November 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Obowma did say during the primaries, he would meet with his enemy without preconditions.

dthorny on November 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM

So, taking this to its logical conclusion, when talking to his economics team, he’s spending every waking hour talking about job creation. So that implies that the hours he spends talking to his economics team can be divided into at least two categories, one of which is a “waking” hour. Now, if consciousness is the partitioning property, then there are only two possibilities: “waking” and “not waking”.

So what percentage of the time that he talks to his economics team is the BO08 not awake?

PS:

It’s “open enrollment” season at many companies. While you’re thinking about your paycheck for next year, be sure to increase your deductions!! Your tax refund in 2011 may be an IOU!!

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I haven’t slept in days. Its the sleep at night that’s been keeping me going.

DavidM on November 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I dislike Obambi as much as the next guy, but the OOTD is weak, as is this post.

MCW on November 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM

In American English gotten, although occasionally criticized, is an alternative standard past participle in most senses, especially in the senses “to receive” or “to acquire”: I have gotten (or got) all that I ever hoped for.

mwdiver on November 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Funny. I spend every waking hour, when I’m driving down the street, driving down the street.

Except when I’m asleep, of course.

Tuning Spork on November 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Nicely done, and in only 10 minutes ;)

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:00 AM

MCW on November 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM

A better sentence:

‘Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate is’

or

‘Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has become’

BTW, I think there are many other reasons why world leaders are laughing at him.

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Nobody is going to forget that he bashed the Chamber of Commerce to the point they actually felt compelled to respond.

Talk about stupid think.

Now, the job figures are out, and 45% of the jobs lost come from small businesspeople.

If the GOP focuses on that sector, they’ll sweep.

AnninCA on November 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM

The Liberals can take credit for putting the “One” in the White House, you see.

Getting him out will have to be up to the other voters, like you and me.

yoda on November 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM

The liberals can take credit, it’s all that they can do
they filled a noble whitehouse with the smell of doggie do.

Oh it’s not their fault they’ll cry, that things turn out so bad
if only we were socialists we wouldnt be so sad.

From ones abilities to satisfy anthers needs
they steal from those who actually work to feed their lazy greed.

It’s not their fault you must admit, no you really cant deny
in public schools they were indoctrinated, by commies in disguise.

doriangrey on November 24, 2009 at 9:05 AM

And on Recovery.org, they have vowed not to correct the wrong figures…they have been proved to be wrong, but in a fit of arrogance said they would not change the numbers…”they don’t want to confuse the people”.

right2bright on November 24, 2009 at 9:07 AM

“Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has gotten.” — BOH
___________________________________________________________
He couldn’t possibly have been more disappointed about that than I was when he got elected.

Dopenstrange on November 24, 2009 at 9:07 AM

“I have gotten (or got) all that I ever hoped for.”

Example: I did not vote for Obama, and, if I was in need of community organizer, I’ve gotten all that I ever hoped for.

Rovin on November 24, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Obama Grants Himself First-Ever “Jive Turkey” Thanksgiving Pardon: http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/11/obama-grants-himself-first-ever-jive.html

Mervis Winter on November 24, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Mervis Winter on November 24, 2009 at 9:09 AM

If ever their was a Turkey to make an appearance at the Whitehouse that did not deserve to be pardoned, it is Barrack Hussein Obama…

doriangrey on November 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM

or

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Back in “the day,” ending a sentence with a preposition, as you did, would be much frowned upon, as well. Nowadays, it is readily accepted. A better sentence would have been “‘Nobody’s been more disappointed than I to see how high the unemployment rate has risen.” Note, no dangling participle and no argument over got/gotten. Interesting that no one has an issue with the “have,” which is unnecessary. Also, the “have” could arguably be said as incorrect, as it could be written as “have been.”

mwdiver on November 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:00 AM

And I spent every waking minute on it.

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 9:18 AM

With the country under the threat of the passage of Obama care, I just can’t get excited about parsing Obama’s piss poor use of grammar.

csdeven on November 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM

When does Dan Quayle get his pardon?

Akzed on November 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I haven’t slept in days. Its the sleep at night that’s been keeping me going.

DavidM on November 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Is that you, Henny Youngman?

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM

mwdiver on November 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM

“That’s the kind of pedantry up with which I will not put,” -Winston Churchill, more or less.

Akzed on November 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Political cartoon in this past weekend’s WaPo showed the filthy lying coward pardoning the Thanksgiving Turkey as one in the “jobs created or saved catagory.”

I say this with all seriousness. It is time to put an end to this administration’s mindless spending, non-existent strategy on national security and defense, and outright lies about their accomplishments. It is time for regime change in DC.

highhopes on November 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Silly me. Here I thought “is” and “become” were verbs, not prepositions.

I would argue that the “have” is probably unnecessary, but not incorrect, as: “Nobody has been more disappointed that I have been“.

Try as I might, I can’t see the dangling participle, but then again, I was educated in public schools.

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Silly me. Here I thought “is” and “become” were verbs, not prepositions.

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM

*chuckle*

AnninCA on November 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Yes you maybe correct but remember this time is in Obama, PBUH, minutes. An Obama, PBUH, minute is equal to a mere mortal day. The man is literally putting infinite hours of mortal time in on the problem everyday.

jukin on November 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM

OT: Rasmussen has Ogabe at -15 (27/42) and 45/54 overall.

needtoknow on November 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM

mr.blacksheep on November 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM

You are correct. I meant ending the sentence with a preposition. The participle reference was in error.

mwdiver on November 24, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I believe he spends most of his day thinking about the weekend golf game or who he and the wife are having over to entertain them during the Saturday night party.

FireBlogger on November 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has gotten little my golf game has improved.

Throw in basketball and you’ve covered a substantial portion of his waking hours.

ya2daup on November 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM

(Sarc)
canopfor on November 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM

That was /sark? I thought it was Himself!

ya2daup on November 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit..”I love animals, that’s why I kill them.”

Caper29 on November 24, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Reminds me of earfly days of the net when a group other than the well-loved and highly regarded PETA snagged the domain name “www.peta.com” (I think). The group? People Eating Tasty Animals.

ya2daup on November 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Loxodonta on November 24, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Where are the breakout sessions? Gotta have breakout sessions and report backs!

ya2daup on November 24, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Pinnochio should stick to just reading the words Axholerod or some other tool feeds him Totus, when he ads little phrases of his own making he totally botches the thing.
Did this dude actually graduate from high school let alone a college?
Only through Affirmative Action me-thinks, Yea AA!

dhunter on November 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Once again, the bloviator in chief is talking out of the other end of his digestive tract, with no idea of what he’s saying.

UltimateBob on November 24, 2009 at 10:44 AM

doriangrey on November 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Mmmm mmmm mmmm……

I sure hope I don’t hear a lot of “mmmm mmmm mmmm” over the Thanksgiving table as the family is enjoying all that yummy turkey and fixin’s. I really don’t want to think about Obama on that day.

UltimateBob on November 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM

jukin on November 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM

You may have something here in Pinnochio’s world of 57 states, 90,543 congressional districts, 1.2 million saved and or created jobs (while real unemployment reaches record highs), a minute of time for him equals a full day for most of us! Explains why he has met with McChrystal for about 23 minutes in determining how many troops his General, he hired, will need to fight a war, we will be taxed now to pay for!

Yea, Go Pinnochio!
And still 45% brain dead, publicly educated, morons approve. These idiots should not be allowed to vote!
Can we get Jimney Carter back yet?

dhunter on November 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Doucher.

RedNewEnglander on November 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I’m the Queen Mum. Give me a break. This man loses sleep over nothing. He’s spent more time traveling, bowing, pandering, and fudging jobs, saved, or created, than he’s devoted to any economy, or unemployment. The most he’s done, is keep doling out cash we don’t have for unemployment benefits. Which I realize is a necessity, but it wouldn’t have been, if he’d approached this entire crisis with some damn common sense.

It’s not like anyone didn’t try to tell him, or warn him. Now he’s made this mess, and expects everyone else to clean it up.

capejasmine on November 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I think he is trying to allay suspicions that he sleeps through the economic team’s meetings. He is announcing that, basically, he spends all his time in those meetings awake. That doesn’t mean that he is doing anything there, tho, just that he is awake.

TimothyJ on November 24, 2009 at 1:47 PM

That’s my No. 1 job.

Naw, really?

10 months into your admin and NOW you realize unemployment is a bad thing?

Dang! I though (by your actions) that attacking your critics was your #1 job!

Ya know the best way to deflect criticism is to do your job?

Your job, the one we hired you to do, remember?

I can think of at lest 15 million people more disappointed than you, (not ta mention very disappointed in you.)

And I spend every waking hour,

We

when I’m talking to my economic team,

Are

about how we are going to put people back to work.”

$crewed

DSchoen on November 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM

“he spends all his time in those meetings awake.”

TimothyJ on November 24, 2009 at 1:47 PM

He inherited that!

Being awake that is.

He never had to be awake before!

Kinda sorta explains all those “present” votes.

DSchoen on November 24, 2009 at 2:04 PM

For odd reason the WH refuses to update the site with correct data on employment, even though they acknowledged that the data are wrong.

Schadenfreude on November 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Didn’t some people attack Sarah Palin for sentence structure during the campaign? How about a diagram of this?

As I understand it, “every waking hour” is a subset of the time “spent talking to [his] economic team”. Considering his economic policies, I have to guess that he spends more time talking to them when he’s asleep.

malclave on November 24, 2009 at 4:44 PM

To interpret Barry for all you anti-elitist snobs… ‘Usually, when I’m not sleeping, I’m awake.
Most smartest president since before or prior to Carter.

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM