Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on November 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I got a lot of mail about this Barack Obama quote over the weekend, but I think that most of those missed the real Obamateurism in it.  Here’s the quote first, with Obama “bristling” over the criticism of the Porkulus job numbers:

President Obama brushed off criticism over his administration’s inaccurate reporting on job creation Wednesday, telling Fox News the accounting is an “inexact science” and that any errors are a “side issue” when compared with the goal of turning the economy around. He said job growth is his No.1 responsibility.

The president was responding to criticism from Republicans, as well as Democratic Rep. David Obey, who drew attention to embarrassing errors on the Recovery.gov Web site that tracks stimulus funding. The site is under fire for claiming a number of jobs were created from the stimulus in congressional districts that don’t exist and accepting unrealistic and inflated jobs data from various sources.

Obama said he understood the “frustration” but said his focus has to be on accelerating job growth.

“I think this is an inexact science. We’re talking about a multitrillion-dollar economy that went through the worst economic crisis since 1933. The first measure of success of the economic recovery is, did we pull ourselves back from the brink? We did,” Obama said. “The question now is, can we make sure we’re accelerating job growth? That’s my No. 1 job. Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has gotten. And I spend every waking hour, when I’m talking to my economic team, about how we are going to put people back to work.”

The e-mails I got claimed that Obama called accounting an “inexact science” but that’s not quite right.  What he actually said was worse. He said that job-creation accounting is an inexact science, and that’s exactly what the critics have been claiming all along.  The administration has insisted that they had “saved or created” a million jobs, and 640,000 580,000 somewhere above a half-million jobs directly.  But they can’t demonstrate that they’ve “saved or created” most of the ones they’ve claimed directly, thanks to the highly “inexact” formulas that the White House promulgated.

In other words, Obama didn’t call accounting an inexact science.  He admitted that Porkulus accounting is a faith-based system.

Comments

I love how he just skips over the Reagan years……

deidre on November 23, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Huh? Great orator indeed.

Well, I spend every waking hour, when I’m in the shower, showering!

I spend every waking hour, when I’m reading a book, reading!

What a numbskull.

reaganaut on November 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Ya gotta love the buzz words this guy comes up with.

TimBuk3 on November 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Lemme see if I can convince auditors from the IRS about this “faith based accounting” thing. (“Receipts? They’re for those doubting Thomas squares, man!”)

apostic on November 23, 2009 at 8:09 AM

10.2% unemployment with real unemployment around 17%….and he’s created or saved millions of jobs. Uh, yeah right.

jbh45 on November 23, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Maybe somebody should check Hopey’s
math articulation school grades!!

After all,this is the best and brightest
Liberal that the Liberal Party picked as
their nominee!!Sarc).

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM

And to think there are Americans who want to give this fool the ability to oversee their health care.

Bishop on November 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I took that to mean there are hours when he’s with his economic team when he is sound asleep. That would explain a lot.

doctormom on November 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

So he dozes off sometimes when he’s talking to his economic team?

As opposed to the waking hours when he’s playing golf, sooting hoops, and delaying sending needed troops to Afghanistan.

kingsjester on November 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

shooting=not sooting
too early

kingsjester on November 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM

He could care less about job creation,to prove that he’s having a job summit but CREATING JOBS is not on the schedule!Hmmmmm

ohiobabe on November 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM

jbh45 on November 23, 2009 at 8:11 AM

jbh45: Correction,its about 22%,just trying to help!:)

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM

It’s his waking hours when we get in trouble.

publiuspen on November 23, 2009 at 8:16 AM

You see! Obama’s always the best at everything. He’s the best at saving our economy and the best at saving phantom jobs. Not to mention he is the absolute number one most disapointed about all of the jobs we have lost since he enacted his disasterous policies.

I gotta tell ya champ, I am sure there are quite a few people out there who are just a wee bit more disapointed about getting laid off than you are.

Mord on November 23, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Bishop on November 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM
Heres hoping he and the dems. continue to tank,maybe then some might get all wee-weed up and back out??:)We’ll see.

ohiobabe on November 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM

And while we are distracted by the economy, the democrats will shove an unconstitutional power grab down our throats.

csdeven on November 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Ya gotta love the buzz words that this guy comes up with.is!

TimBuk3 on November 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM

My take

rebuzz on November 23, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Quite ‘yer whining Bambi. If you had ever had a job in the real world you would know the response to that is: “don’t tell me how hard you’ve worked; tell me what you got done.”

PackerBronco on November 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM

So he dozes off sometimes when he’s talking to his economic team?

kingsjester on November 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

kingsjester: I heard that one before!:)Like Clinton saying,

“I am going to focus like a laser beam on this economy.”

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Its 3:00AM,and Obama is still clueless!!(Sarc).

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Simple. You pass a law mandating that everyone must have a job and those that don’t you send to jail ala PelosiCare. There. Problem solved.

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM

President Obama brushed off criticism over his administration’s inaccurate reporting on job creation Wednesday, telling Fox News the accounting is an “inexact science.”</blockquote>

Ah, yes, my nephew, who just passed his last CPA exam, got the grades he did by putting that in as an answer.

s/off

Wethal on November 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM

OOPS,he did it again, Obama is now scoring 3 for 3,
on his bending over bow gaffe!!

A townhall in Shanghai.

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Heh heh. Public Employment Option ahoy!

apostic on November 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Lots of potential applications:
Geitner: Measuring income and deductions is an inexact science but trust me with the IRS.
Pelosi: Medicine is an inexact science but trust us with your life!
ACORN: Voter registration is an inexact science but trust us with the integrity of elections.

chaswv on November 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM

“Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high the unemployment rate has gotten.”

“Do you see how much golf I have to play to rid myself of the disappointment I feel.”

“I’m just ate up about it”.

4 more U.S. troops were killed in Afghanistan while Obama golfed and dithered away the weekend.

David2.0 on November 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM

And I spend every waking hour….

You Lie!

cmsinaz on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM

This is admittedly a conception of genius. But in the Obama mindset, the unemployed are the victims and ipso facto would never be guilty of anything,let alone be sent to prison. The more likely resolution would be to send some employers to jail for the crime of not hiring enough people.

jwolf on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Since Obamaism has shown all the signs of being similar to a cult over the past 18 months, calling belief in the administration’s job numbers faith-based is appropriate for majority of his supporters (other than, say, Cardinal Axelrod or Cardinal Geithner, who know how the sausage is being made but aren’t going to tell the masses).

jon1979 on November 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM

He said job growth is his No.1 responsibility.

Does no one else find this just a tad disturbing? Has he still not gotten a copy of the job description?

As to the job creation thingy…if he would just spend his every waking hour with his economic team on the golf course and stay off of the media, this economy might have a sliver of a chance of recovering. Instead, every time he opens his mouth, he says something to make American Business hunker down in its metaphorical bomb shelter a little further.

Chewy the Lab on November 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Now THAT is an obamateurism. Imagine Palin would have said that.

Phoenician on November 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM

A “side issue”? Uh no, pal. Those two things are intertwined. If you’re making up BS statistics about job creation(or saving), then it stands to reason that you’re not doing a very good job turning the economy around.

If you’re gonna piss away $787 billion in an effort to create jobs, you damn well better know where the money is going and how it’s being spent. Everytime I think this President can’t be any worse, he finds a lower rung on the ladder.

Doughboy on November 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM

He also calle din the worse economy since 1933 when the numbers say that the 1983 economy was worse so far. Unemployment hit a high of 10.8% in 1983. We are not there yet,

unseen on November 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM

jwolf on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

spot on jw

cmsinaz on November 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM

accounting is an “inexact science”

But global warming is exact…..

Caper29 on November 23, 2009 at 8:43 AM

“. . . And I spend every waking hour, when I’m talking to my economic team, about how we are going to put people back to work.”

Obviously hasn’t talked to his economic team very often. Have to wonder how many hours Obie’s awake every day.

RickZ on November 23, 2009 at 8:44 AM

“No one is more disappointed than me to see how the employment situation has affected my poll numbers. Did I mention me, let’s talk about me.”

Bishop on November 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM

There is no more exact science than accounting. If it doesn’t balance to the penny, you messed up! It couldn’t be any more exact. The media must be more obedient to “The One” and push this issue to the side!

LonelyMassRepublican on November 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Could someone on his accounting team please report to the Amrican people how many hours Obama has talked/discussed/engaged with you on the economy/job creation?

All his golf, basketball, parties, fundraiser trips, date nights, O-loss lypics, etc, etc have me guessing that it is about 1/2 hour a week, if that.

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM

jwolf on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

I agree except the quickest way to get all those unemployment numbers down is to put all of the unemployed in prison and voila another great photo op for the O as he holds up the NYT with the headline: “Unemployment Rate at 0% for the First Time in History!”

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Pelosi says they (the house democrats) have a plan:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi last week said ideas under discussion in the House included a tax on a variety of financial transactions. Democrats estimate such a tax could raise as much as $150 billion a year, a pool of money that could help offset the cost of a job-growth package. WSJ

Got that? Tax the areadly burdened working stiff, so they can have a pool of money to “produce” jobs. Financial transactions,children hardest hit.

Rovin on November 23, 2009 at 8:51 AM

The first Specific President hates inexact science.

LibTired on November 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM

He said that job-creation accounting is an inexact science, and that’s exactly what the critics have been claiming all along. The administration has insisted that they had “saved or created” a million jobs, and 640,000 580,000 somewhere above a half-million jobs directly.

No, Gibbs was very adamant that it was 640,329, That’s a very precise number for an “inexact science”.

jnelchef on November 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

how we are going to put people back to work.

Wow. I realize lots of politicians use this type of phrase, but it is just mindboggling wrong. Unless you are going to put more people on government jobs, government does not put people back to work. Private enterprise puts people to work by creating or expanding a business and hiring more workers. The only way government can help is by getting out of the way through less taxes and less regulation.

Barack Obama fundamentally does not understand economics. Which is not surprising, we have known that all along. Communists/socialists/fascists do not understand the invisible hand of the free market or else ignore it in the pursuit of power.

rbj on November 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Socialism is an inexact science because it cannot establish valid market value baselines by fiat. It is always flying blind.

Obooba, being a Socialist (as in the USSR) believes that economics is inexact, i.e. unknowable. Therefore, we’re just supposed to take his word for it.

This attitude is found universally in despots. They don’t always have the power to implement their full menu of despotic policies, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t despots.

Akzed on November 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

He seems to be saying that HE (add reverb) has been thinking about job growth (ad reverb) and that because HE has discussed it (add reverb) then it will automatically become perfect (ad reverb). On the 7th day he rested. He seems to have the sense that if he has paid attention to it, that is enough…

Haunches on November 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

jwolf on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Businesses Hiring Fewer Workers Thanks To Expanded Unemployment Benefits In Stimulus Bill

Uh oh looks like you may be right, jwolf. Next step mandating businesses hire people or face jail time. I BOW to your wisdom.

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Ed, there’s another Obamateurism in there. Obama said this, and he also said creating jobs will NOT be the focus of his upcoming job summit. (sorry, don’t have link)

OOPS,he did it again, Obama is now scoring 3 for 3,
on his bending over bow gaffe!!
A townhall in Shanghai.

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM

This isn’t much of a “gaffe” anymore, is it?

conservative pilgrim on November 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

And I spend every waking hour….
You Lie!

cmsinaz on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for bringing that up again. I have a question about it that I don’t remember ever seeing asked. When Wilson made that comment, he was in a room full of politicians. Just why was it so easy for everyone in the room to instantly grasp that he was talking to a particular one of them, unless they also thought one of them in particular was lying?

MikeA on November 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Haven’t you heard? The White House is Obama’s cathedral and Congress is his gaggle of priests; He hasn’t had to bless the loaves and fishes yet, but it’s coming soon!
ALL HAIL, OH GREAT MESSIAH!
(I think my keyboard just puked.)

Cybergeezer on November 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I still want to know where did the $18 million go to create this super “Recovery.gov” website that was going to track every dollar of the stimulus. I think somebody’s been messing with Joe!

PatMac on November 23, 2009 at 9:06 AM

reaganaut on November 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I thought the same thing! What a doofus…

ladyingray on November 23, 2009 at 9:07 AM

But does anybody have faith in the filthy lying coward or his corrupt administration? Anybody? I’d sure love to hear somebody defend the bastard’s take on the economy.

Michigan’s reported unemployment rate this morning is 15.1%, expected to hover around 15.3% through the end of the year. How in all that is holy does anybody think that this is acceptable and the filthy lying coward is doing a good job with the economy? How does one become so moronic that they have faith in this bastard and his socialism. Somebody’s got to explain it to me because I don’t understand why the bastard hasn’t been forced from office yet for is mismanagement, incompetence, and corruption.

highhopes on November 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Green job czar Van Jones is gone. He must be talking to himself.

toongoon on November 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Nononono, you’ve got it all wrong. Putting them in prison would burden the US taxpayer. What we need to do is create a new Federal job position, Unemployment consultant, and then just put all the unemployed on the government payroll. We could call their pay ‘Unemployment Compensation’ that coupled with Universal Health Care would be a sweet benefit package. The unemployment numbers would immediately drop to a more ‘friendly’ number and The Won could, rightfully claim a whole bunch of jobs created! we could expect a lot more people to take advantage of it thus lowering the jobless rate even more while stimulating The Won’s poll numbers and making it look like the economy was booming. We would then need to immediately raise taxes to 110% to pay for all this thus insuring that the remaining few employed people would surrender and join the ranks of the terminally unemployed and begin worshipping The Won. In the end we can never run out of money as long as the printing presses keep working.

Oldnuke on November 23, 2009 at 9:10 AM

PatMac on November 23, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I think a lot of people have been messin’ with Joe. For starters, he probably shoud try to get a refund from his shrink, and then go after his hair guy.

MikeA on November 23, 2009 at 9:10 AM

The consequences are too much to bear…….

ultracon on November 23, 2009 at 9:12 AM

jnelchef on November 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Consider the source. I say this with all seriousness. Gibbs is the most uninfomed man in Washington. He is not a Press Secretary, he is a news reader for the propaganda put out by Rahm Emanuel and the political strategists on the filthy lying coward’s personal staff.

highhopes on November 23, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Oldnuke on November 23, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Or until China sends a debt collector to our door (see SNL skit).

tims472 on November 23, 2009 at 9:15 AM

[Obama] also said creating jobs will NOT be the focus of his upcoming job summit.

conservative pilgrim on November 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I probably shouldn’t ask this, but I’ve got to know: what does Obama say the purpose of the job summit is if it’s not on creating jobs?

jwolf on November 23, 2009 at 9:19 AM

In the 1960′s, Tom Lehrer said this of what was then called the “New Math:” The point is to understand what you’re doing rather than to get the right answer. Obama’s quote reminds me of that.

However, the most telling thing about the quote is that it demonstrates everything that is wrong with the left because it basically says that the goal (intention) was the most important thing and that whether or not any jobs were created (facts) are secondary to that.

Kafir on November 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM

In other words, Obama didn’t call accounting an inexact science. He admitted that Porkulus accounting is a faith-based system.–Ed

That analogy besmirches the exercise of faith in truth.

Obama’s “inexact science” referenced cooked books on Pork. Cooked books are Obama’s grounds; by no means is Obama’s accounting based upon either truth or faith, but only upon deceit.

The real question to ask is whether Obama has the sense to take Jesus’ advice from Luke 16:1-13.

The Parable of The Shrewd Manager

He also said to his disciples, “There was a certain rich man who had a manager. An accusation was made to him that this man was wasting his possessions. He called him, and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear about you? Give an accounting of your management, for you can no longer be manager.’ “The manager said within himself, ‘What will I do, seeing that my lord is taking away the management position from me? I don’t have strength to dig. I am ashamed to beg. I know what I will do, so that when I am removed from management, they may receive me into their houses.’ Calling each one of his lord’s debtors to him, he said to the first, ‘How much do you owe to my lord?’ He said, ‘A hundred batos of oil.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ Then said he to another, ‘How much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred cors of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ “His lord commended the dishonest manager because he had done wisely, for the children of this world are, in their own generation, wiser than the children of the light. I tell you, make for yourselves friends by means of unrighteous mammon, so that when you fail, they may receive you into the eternal tents. He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much. He who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If therefore you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? If you have not been faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. You aren’t able to serve God and mammon.”

maverick muse on November 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM

When you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that what you are pushing is the right policy, exact numbers are unneccessary.

Moreso, they are an unneeded distraction.

/sarc

MarkTheGreat on November 23, 2009 at 9:26 AM

MarkTheGreat on November 23, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

maverick muse on November 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Liberals are considered the best and brightest because they “care” not because they have academic or practical experience that proves they are smart. I mean just look at the goracles grades and experience. He is the 2nd smartest in the liberal universe now that we have the “won.”

chemman on November 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM

maverick muse on November 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Exactly why this country is in trouble today. Too many people believe you can trust somebody in positions of power who have not been faithful in the little things of their lives.

chemman on November 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I’m not an economics expert, but it seems to me, that the “focus” should be on Industrial Growth, not Job Growth.

And, I don’t see One Policy of this administration, or this congress, that encourages, or promotes, Industrial Growth… Not ONE.

Fact is, everything being done is contrary to Industrial Growth.

At the rate we’re going, China will overtake us as an industrial powerhouse, and relegate us to third world status.

franksalterego on November 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

The whole “job creation” thing is a canard. If the jobs are not productive (in the sense of creating value that outweighs the cost), then they destroy value and are simply wealth redistribution: Activity does not always imply progress.

While (publicly reported) corporate earnings may look good, I have a strong suspicion that these are being propped up by foreign-currency earnings, which are magnified, in US$ terms, by our depreciating dollar.

The economy is sick, and a big part of the malaise is concern that the government is hostile to wealth creation, and that it may get worse. Basic finance teaches that uncertainty has a real, dollar cost, and the current uncertainty is causing businesses to discount, steeply (and perhaps implicitly), future cash flows to the extent that US-based investments can’t pass muster.

The economy would roar upon election of a President and Congress that were committed to: savagely cutting back on the size of government; reducing corporate tax to zero (the profits would still be taxable as income in the hands of the owners, which could conceivably be withheld from dividends); bringing tax certainty (preferably accompanied by lower marginal tax rates) to individuals; eliminating capital gains tax; and dealing with the debt (a task made much easier by the increased government revenue that the other initiatives would create).

Were those things done, the economy would surge ahead, and unemployment would evaporate in a relatively short time.

But no, we’re going to get cap-and-tax, health prevention, amnesty for illegals, another bogus “stimulus”, sharply higher marginal tax rates, more corporate taxes and nationalization of industry, spiraling national debt, new unfunded liabilities and the ludicrously-named “Fairness Doctrine”.

And the unicorns will dance around the pots-o’-gold at the ends of all those rainbows, and lollypops will grow in the fields. Good times will rain upon us from the sky.

mr.blacksheep on November 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Barry has done squat to help the economy.

The Porkulus money was and continues to be used to pay off his base and special interest groups to insure his re-election. If passed, the health care reform bill will be used to control every aspect of of lives by bureaucrats, NOT doctors. We will be literally taxed to death and beyond as our children and future generations will end up paying for the follies of this administration.

Don’t be fooled by the “Jobs Summit”. It’s yet another scheme to secure votes and make Barry look like he’s sympathetic and really cares about sky rocketing unemployment.

His No. 1 Job?

Barry: “Nobody’s been more disappointed than I have to see how high my golf score has gotten. And I spend every waking hour, when I’m talking to my economic team, worrying about how I can lower it.”

Barb Dwyer on November 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

jwolf on November 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

I hope you are wrong but I wouldn’t put it past them.

chemman on November 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

mr.blacksheep on November 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

You obviously didn’t attend an Ivy League school cause all them Czar’s and appointee’s that attended the “all bucks no bang” Ivy League didn’t come up with your solution. While your solution is right on don’t hold your breath waiting for its implementation.

chemman on November 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

In otherwords, these ivy league, elitists have no clue what they’re doing, and no idea how to fix anything. Not even a burned out light bulb. Or, perhaps, fixing anything is not the plan. It’s much more enjoyable to a marxist to destroy anything, and everything,that reeks of freedom.

As Pol Pot wanted to destroy what Cambodia was, and restart at the year zero…perhaps that is what’s in store for us as well.

capejasmine on November 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Isn’t it funny that anyone with faith in God is an idiot to these people, yet they’re applying faith to this man who has proven he’s worthy of NOTHING of the sort and expect the rest of us to do so as well.

Funny how that is, eh?

Mad Mad Monica on November 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM

This is a president who wants to push the RESTART button or have a DO OVER every dam week. They screw up because everything they do and say is a facade. Everything. I’m not going to be the least bit surprised if it comes out later that The One’s marriage was just for show and that he’s a raging homosexual. That’s what his style of governance reminds me of… a total and complete facade.

Griz on November 23, 2009 at 10:15 AM

It’s gotten to the point where one reconsiders calling him an @$$clown because they don’t want to be seen as insulting @$$clowns.

jdkchem on November 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM

chemman on November 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Yes. But the bare ass of truth is made self evident. The facade has fallen. Not only is Obama a naked failure, everyone knows it. That “trust me” has burned to and through the bone, and the public is reacting to the pain that Obama himself inflicts. Even his voting supporters are jumping off the Obamatanic. That Congress is last to figure out reality is nothing new. I repudiate what legislators trade as “good for you” snake oil sophistry, bought and paid for with our citizenship pounds of flesh.

The old adage “better you than me” is biting Obama as hard as Obama is biting America. /”Grandma, what big teeth you have!”

maverick muse on November 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM

“And I spend every waking hour, when I’m talking to my economic team, about how we are going to put people back to work.”

Ah-ha.. I believe, I see the problem.

Obama-san, thinks he can talk the economy into recovery.

How about, we talk about increasing supply to meet demand?

How about we talk about increasing production fo meet consumption?

How about we get down to basics, and forget about “science”.. As exact or inexact as it may be, before we bankrupt the economy the same way he’s bankrupting government.

franksalterego on November 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Unemployment has risen from below 8% to 10.2% under Obama. What concrete evidence do we have that “we” pulled ourselves back from the brink?

Until unemployment numbers start to DECREASE, we have none.

And with all that new debt (and more to come if NancyBarackHarryCare and Crap-and-Raid pass), we’re galloping toward a different brink!

Steve Z on November 23, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Maybe ObaMao should stop spending his waking hours talking to his economic team. Both he and they support mau-mau, discredited economic philosophies that have historically proven to be damaging to any economy.

His job is not to create jobs but to set policies that allow for the market to flourish, unencumbered by job-killing taxes and regulation.

onlineanalyst on November 23, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Oh, ye of little faith.

Much humor, but little faith.

Good job!

Loxodonta on November 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Am I remembering my history wrong, or didn’t the stock market crash in 1929, and isn’t that generally considered the year we associate with that particular economic crisis? Or is he trying to say that it’s the worst economic crisis since the continuation of the worst economic crisis?

And…was it a multitrillion-dollar economy in either of those two years?

James on November 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM

A good catch, Ed, but I don’t think it will rise to OOTW. I’m confident that Mr. Ojangles can dance up a much more impressive number this week.

SKYFOX on November 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Real jobless rate is 17.5%. Wait until the folks find this out. His ratings will be equal to Sarah’s.

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Maybe somebody should check Hopey’s
math articulation school grades!!

After all,this is the best and brightest
Liberal that the Liberal Party picked as
their nominee!!Sarc).

canopfor on November 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I’ll get right on that. We’ll just have a look at the High School records conveniently available online. No, wait. That won’t work.
I’ll look at his course work from Occidental. No, no those aren’t available.
Surely there were some modicum of classes in mathematics to meet the requirements for graduation from Harvard. I’ll look at his records from Harvard. Whoa. Those aren’t available either.

Hey, has the ‘Won’ ever graduated from anything, EVER?
What’s going on here?

Blacksmith8 on November 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM

And I spend every waking hour…

Obama must have read OJ’s book…

WhoU4 on November 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

accounting is an “inexact science”

oh…my…gawd…

disa on November 23, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I think that bum cruised all his life until Michelle got ahold of him. And even after that it was a half-assed effort to actually do anything. Blablabullshit.

disa on November 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM

And I “saved or created” my last turd…and both are going down the drain.

dthorny on November 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM

capejasmine on November 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM

They follow Keynesian economics; the gov’t spendith and taketh more away from those who earned it vs. Reaganonomics; keep what you earned and spend it how you want.

Results:

Keynes – lower revenue to gov’t, higher unemployment.

Reaganonomics – HIGHER revenue to gov’t,lower unemployment.

Cutting taxes worked for JFK, BJ Clinton, Reagan and GW Bush with record revenues to the feds each time and each time socialism has been invoked, higher unemployment and lower revenues every time FDR, Carter and now Obowma.

dthorny on November 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM

The first Specific President hates inexact science.

LibTired on November 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM

And yet, Obowma fails to remember his racist pastors sermons of hate, his ties to Bill Ayers, Acorn, SEIU, union thugs, his grandma, his school records, Tony Rezko, loan scams, who wrote Obowma’a autobiography, what he said yesterday…

dthorny on November 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM