Lou Dobbs: Hey, how about Lou Dobbs for president?

posted at 4:14 pm on November 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

Two clips, one below from Politico and the other at the Corner courtesy of the Fred Thompson Show. I don’t know what he thinks he’s going to accomplish by running. If this is, by design, a five-percent candidacy aimed at pushing his signature issue — immigration — into the national debate in 2012, it’s destined to fail. Barring an amazing economic turnaround and some shocking conciliatory gestures from Iran and the Taliban, amnesty will be an afterthought in the next presidential election. If this is something more ambitious, i.e. a Perot-esque bid to win, he’s kidding himself. For all the bluster about third parties, by 2012 Republicans will be so frantic to beat Obama and so paranoid about a repeat of 1992 that all but the most alienated centrists and conservatives will hold their noses and line up for the GOP nominee. Nader won 2.7 percent of the vote in 2000, the year he helped hand the election to Bush; four years later, with the left unified against an incumbent president and horrified at the thought of another self-defeating split in the Democratic vote, he won just 0.38 percent. There’s nothing like an excruciating electoral debacle to sharpen the mind about the dangers of an independent candidacy, and the GOP already has one on the books to provide the sharpening.

If the goal isn’t to win or even to push the anti-amnesty position, then I assume the point of running would be, quite overtly, to swing the election, drawing enough votes from one party (almost certainly the GOP) to elect the other and thereby “prove” that the needs of centrist-y blue-collar independents must be addressed more forthrightly in the future. Why he thinks he’ll do any better at building a lasting independent coalition than Perot did is beyond me, but like he says, he’s getting expert advice. Exit question: Will Beck endorse him?

Comments

javamartini on November 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Seriously, this is completely crazy thinking.

Where did he get this idea? It’s about like the ridiculous idea that Beck is going to be running with Palin.

I’m SO glad she didn’t give him an interview.

Lordy, some rumors need to be squashed.

Lou as president is definitely one of those.

AnninCA on November 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM

My mother in law would vote for him.

rollthedice on November 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Should have had the Picard facepalm pic IMHO.

(This from someone who voted for Perot and still has a Perot campaign button kicking around in his garage.)

WitchDoctor on November 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Perot = Obama 2nd Term

Dobbs is an idiot

jp on November 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Sorry, Lou. I like you, but you’re not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Make that, “hell no.”

TC@LeatherPenguin on November 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM

What’s the obsession with personalities?

What happened to getting people who have sound ideals, an articulate message, and good policies to back it up?

ckoeber on November 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Sharr on November 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Hell no to Lou Dobbs.

cubachi on November 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Lou Dobbs sucks.

/there, i said it

Abby Adams on November 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM

What’s the obsession with personalities?

No kidding. I do think we’re about at the end of that wave of thinking.

AnninCA on November 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Remember all his NAU conspiracy mongering on National TV?

jp on November 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Is this a parody post?

anXdem on November 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I like him but no thanks.

Firebird on November 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM

No thanks.
You talked a good game, but when you went up against La Raza, you melted down and not in a good way.

HornetSting on November 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Dobbs should run. Couldn’t hurt.

True_King on November 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Um, no.

Then I assume the point of running would be, quite overtly, to swing the election, drawing enough votes from one party (almost certainly the GOP)

The only issue Dobbs leans GOP is against illegal immigration. Otherwise, he’s solid BLUE.

conservative pilgrim on November 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM

How about… no.

Red Cloud on November 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I seriously doubt Glenn would endorse him. Lou is a decent fellow, but he isn’t a conservative or libertarian.

Conservative Voice on November 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Um, no.

rbj on November 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I hope he’s raising his campaign funds in Ameros.

Proud Rino on November 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

At least he’d release his birth certificate, I bet.

Daggett on November 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Lou Dobbs would get about 0.38% of the vote. Conservatives, moderate Republicans, independents, and those Reagan Democrats will all be eager to oust Obama in 3 years and they’ll line up behind whoever the GOP nominates(provided it’s not a McCain RINO type).

Doughboy on November 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Exit question: Will Beck endorse him?

Is that an endorsement in your pants, Glenn?

SouthernGent on November 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Is that 8 million CNN used to buy him burning a hole in his pocket?

Cindy Munford on November 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

conservative pilgrim on November 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM

He would be the John Anderson of 2012.

If Palin is the nominee, Frum will probably endorse Dobbs. Palin will still win.

Norwegian on November 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

What other than a resounding no can anyone say about this post, AP? Are you hard up for news material?

anXdem on November 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I didn’t watch the clips (streaming vids blocked at work) but has he expressly ruled out running in the democratic primaries? That would be effing sweet!

BuzzCrutcher on November 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Lou Dobbs already ran for office last year. His name was Tom Tancredo.

hot-heir on November 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I like Lou… I wish FOX would hire him. He was on Kudlow the other night, so even CNBC would be a good gig for him.

If not, then a Senate run in NJ sounds more plausible to me.

davek70 on November 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Allah, you, like most barely-right-of-center moderates, are living in the past, politically. The illegal immigration issue is Dobbs strong suit.

His extreme weakness? His lack of support for Israel. His criticism of them during the ’06 Lebanese war. This is what has destroyed other brilliant politicians such as Ron Paul and Buchanan. If someone could reach Dobbs and convince him to support one of our last true friends in the world, he’d be the perfect candidate and unbeatable. DD

Darvin Dowdy on November 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Good Lord Mary Mother of God, this post made me fall on the floor and sob.

kidding. But almost.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM

other brilliant politicians such as Ron Paul and Buchanan.

Darvin Dowdy on November 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM

LOL, good one.

Proud Rino on November 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM

He was ordered by Obama and the DNC to leave CNN and siphon all independents that are now leaning to Republican Party.

Dobbs is a definitely a Manchurian.

TheAlamos on November 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM

At least he’d release his birth certificate, I bet.

Daggett on November 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

heh.

College transcripts, too.

UltimateBob on November 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM

No thank you very much!

faol on November 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM

He couldn’t even win his timeslot.

rw on November 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

He couldn’t even win his timeslot.

rw on November 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

That’s gonna leave a mark. :-D

SouthernGent on November 23, 2009 at 4:37 PM

It makes no sense for Lou Dobbs to run as a third party.

It makes great sense for Glenn Beck to push third parties.

Nessuno on November 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Meanwhile, the battle rages for Middle Earth (or middle America)…

The Madness of King Andrew! Andrew wants the truth, because he knows the truth, with geometric logic. Sullivan will pursue Trig Palin forever for stealing that loaf of bread!

Andrew Sullivan is acting like the tigers in Little Black Sambo, they end up spinning themselves into butter.

Mr. Joe on November 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM

He couldn’t even win his timeslot.

rw on November 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Snap

thomasaur on November 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Ugh, between him and Beck, we could throw away 2012.

Stop it guys…. Just stop it!

ThePrez on November 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Lou, I hear Scottsdale is really nice, especially with the winter coming and all.

Doorgunner on November 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM

oh dear no

james23 on November 23, 2009 at 4:42 PM

This goes for Lou and Sarah and anyone else who wants to run in 2012. You should start with helping us take the House from San Fran Nan in 2010. Get in the weeds, raise some money for these long-shot congressional challengers that need your name recognition to beat these entrenched Democrats. Then we’ll talk.

motionview on November 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Why not Donald Trump or Gallagher or Gary Coleman?

ThePrez on November 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM

In case anyone cares Lou Dobbs may be right on a few things but he,s very Liberal on a lot of things.Thanks but a big no thanks .

thmcbb on November 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM

People like to claim that Nader threw the election to Bush, but an analysis of the vote shows no such thing happened. In most states, Bush or Gore won by more than the Nader vote.

In Florida, Buchanon got almost as many votes as Nader did.
Additionally, many Nader voters would have stayed home, had he not been on the ballot.

MarkTheGreat on November 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Where does Beck come into play? Lou Dobbs will be a very bad candidate with NO chance to win. So couple of points:
1>Lou Dobbs will not run.
2>He won’t get Beck’s endorsement. Beck will never get a Presidential candidate he could endorse. He is looking for a George Washington in this lot of THUGS :-)
3>If he does run he will be clobbered. Conservatives or Republicans will be looking to vote for anybody except a democrat.

So Mr Lou,
Please don’t. We do respect some of your views but we can’t waste the vote.

antisocial on November 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Please God NO!!! Dobbs is a likeable sort of chap but we CANNOT risk a “Perotification” of the ballot come 2012.

NY Conservative on November 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM

its simple if dobbs runs the GOp MUST choose a person against illegal immigration. Or PALIN and then dobbs will will only take votes away from Obama.

unseen on November 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Hey Doorgunner,

If you’re going to send Dobbs down here, you gotta take McCain. We have our full quota of coots!

Steve H in AZ on November 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Lou Dobbs: Hey, how about Lou Dobbs for president?

This one is easy. No.

Loxodonta on November 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Is that an endorsement in your pants, Glenn?

SouthernGent on November 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Is that 8 million CNN used to buy him burning a hole in his pocket?

Cindy Munford on November 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

You two make an intersting couple.

Loxodonta on November 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM

How about TV celebrities not thinking they are so important?

albill on November 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Lou who?

joe_doufu on November 23, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Lou Dobbs for President? Bwahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha!
No, seriously, this is one of the dumbest things. What were his ratings at CNN? How many people even really care about Dobbs let alone know anything about him?

darii on November 23, 2009 at 4:57 PM

How could Lou be any worse then the team of turkeys that have been in office the last quarter of a century? Sure, Muslims don’t like him and he has no Saudi Connections and he would probably not be a figurehead puppet for some Republican country club cabal, so indeed, he won’t be welcome like Jeb when he is trotted out to be your new leader.

BL@KBIRD on November 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM

No. Do some specials, Lou. Don’t make yours a Dan Rather – “He went nuts at the end” – kind of story.

ROCnPhilly on November 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Hey, I know a young, articulate, clean black guy……

jimmy2shoes on November 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I’m sold. I pledge 100 ameros.

justkevin on November 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM

No thanks I”ll pass……………

Sarah/Liz 2012 PLEASE…………

1luckydogg on November 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Dobbs has two faces – both on top of the same neck.

jake-the-goose on November 23, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I wonder if Obama is paying him to do this? Really.

Terrye on November 23, 2009 at 5:16 PM

BL@KBIRD on November 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM

The only thing this man can accomplish is to help Barack Obama win a second term.

Terrye on November 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM

And speaking of country clubs, Dobbs is not exactly a poor man.

Terrye on November 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Do America a favor, Dobbs, and sign yourself into an old-folks home on an uncharted island somewhere.

Dark-Star on November 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Hmmm… former cable news anchors…. Brit Hume for President!!!!!

stefanite on November 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

A funny Althouse site comment:

Palladian said…
What do you want to bet that when Sullivan returns home at night and puts the beagles to bed, he slips on his CPAP mask and connects the hose to a tank of nitrous oxide, inhales deeply and shrieks “Mommy! Mommy! Baby wants to ****!” before stuffing a piece of fabric clandestinely cut by a Sullivan operative from one of Palin’s returned RNC-funded skirts into his mouth and smacking the shit out of his trembling boyfriend who’s unwillingly donning the “costume”.

11/23/09 3:36 PM

Mr. Joe on November 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Lou Dobbs?
The same Lou that scammed thousands from his worthless Space.com stock in the halcyon days of the internet bubble?
I’ll pass.

jjshaka on November 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I don’t recall the immigration issue working for Tancredo (thankfully), so I doubt Lou Dobbs could actually run a successful campaign.

DanStark on November 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM

It would make an interesting national TV debate. Partisanship is starting to erode, IMO. There has to be a major cleanup, fresh new faces all over the place. If he runs under the GOP or primary, pls. poll see how he does, but I don’t think he will do well because he is a new contender.

I feel that he can be direct but somewhat softie (I don’t follow him, sorry (add to that all of conservative talk radio shows), and hundreds of thousands we have seen all over one portion of the country so far.

It is just as simple as this: You did a good job, YOU STAY. You suck, I VOTE YOU OUT. I still stand that this won’t last 4 years. Not even Obama.

ProudPalinFan on November 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Hmmm… former cable news anchors…. Brit Hume for President!!!!!

stefanite on November 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

THAT I would vote for!

gary4205 on November 23, 2009 at 6:02 PM

No thanks I”ll pass……………

Sarah/Liz 2012 PLEASE…………

1luckydogg on November 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM

+1,000,000,000!!!!

ProudPalinFan on November 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Look. At this point, I’d take the guy who cleans Lou Dobbs’ gutters. Or even the guy who holds the ladder for the guy who cleans Lou Dobbs’ gutters.

greggriffith on November 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM

For whatever reason I get tons of typos b/c my posts jump the gun. I meant to say -regarding Sarah-that she has all the support of all of conservative talk radio shows, and hundreds of thousands that we have seen all over just one portion of the country!

ProudPalinFan on November 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Dobbs?

no way

Beck?

way

notagool on November 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I have never seen this dobb. I have no idea if he is a R or a D or goes with the wind. It does not matter which he is, No way would I vote for him or give him money.
L

letget on November 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Dobbs is too much of a grumpy sourpuss… nuff said about him.

silverfox on November 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Steve H in AZ on November 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Sorry.

Maybe Hilton Head with Lindsey for a standing tee-off at nine for eighteen holes before noon. They can argue immigration for the next decade while Juan whips a high-fiber lunch.

Doorgunner on November 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Personally, if the GOP nominates Mickey Mouse, that rodent would have to be found in a very compromising position with Miss Minnie not to get my vote.
I know ya’ll think that makes me a sell out, but so be it. I’m into finding the best-damned-conservatives to run and will fight like a dog for that, but I will vote for a wishy washy repub over a flaming liberal or a wanna be moderate ten ways to Tuesday. But if my choice is the flaming liberal, the wishy-washy republican and a 3rd party candidate I love. Dang! The wishy-washy repub wins.
Man oh man I hate the thought of voting for someone I don’t love, but I’ll BY-GOLLY DO IT, and I’ve done it in the past. Who here who voted for McCain regrets their vote? I held my nose, voted for Sarah, and prayed that the outcome would be different.

Under ordinary circumstances, I would welcome a third partyand do back flips to thumb my nose at what the Republicans have become. But I gotta tell you I am so flippin scared of Obama and the dems at this point that if the republican nominee has a rap sheet as long as your arm, I’mavotenforhim/her. A third party is just going to muddy the water, and I truly, truly wish it weren’t so!

Chewy the Lab on November 23, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Dobbs has one too many screws loose

RadClown on November 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Let’s understand the proposition:

We want to replace a man who has absolutely no executive experience, a single idea in his head, and speaking ability with…a man who has absolutely no executive experience, a single idea in his head, and speaking ability?

HE&& NO!!!

You can’t fix incompetence with more incompetence!

landlines on November 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM