AP: Porkulus killing new jobs

posted at 12:55 pm on November 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Rob Port at Say Anything noticed this story yesterday, which may explain to Barack Obama why his Porkulus bill hasn’t generated new jobs … well, one of the reasons, at least.  The Associated Press reports that the increases in unemployment benefits have placed new burdens on businesses in the form of higher unemployment taxes — in Florida, a twelve-fold increase for next year.  The result?  Capital that may have gone towards hiring new employees will get sucked up by government instead:

As if small businesses needed another reason not to hire, consider their latest financial burden: The cost of rising unemployment itself.

Employers already are squeezed by tight credit, rising health care costs, wary consumers and a higher minimum wage. Now, the surging jobless rate is imposing another cost. It’s forcing higher state taxes on companies to pay for unemployment insurance claims.

Some employers say the extra costs make them less likely to hire. That could be a worrisome sign for the economic recovery, because small businesses create about 60 percent of new jobs. Other employers say they’ll cut or freeze pay.

Why are these costs going up now? Federal intervention, and especially federal law:

Federal law requires states to build up unemployment insurance trust funds in good times so they can pay benefits during downturns. The idea is to avoid having to raise taxes or cut benefits in a recession.

But the severity of this recession has bankrupted many states’ trust funds and forced them to borrow from the federal government. States eventually must pay back the loans. Otherwise, the federal government can raise taxes on their businesses.

The problem here isn’t so much the disincentive conservatives claim unemployment benefits provide, which “funemployment” stories tend to propagate. Anyone who has spent any time on unemployment benefits understands that they do nothing to encourage people not to work; they are not even subsistence wages. The problem is that extending unemployment benefits takes capital out of the hands of people who create jobs, and puts that capital in the least-efficient hands possible: the government.

The result? Exactly what we see here. The government not only has sucked capital out of the private sector to fund unemployment benefits, the Democrats have sent signals of massive tax increases in the near future in order to pay for Porkulus and the statist Democratic agenda. Their effort to rapidly escalate energy costs through cap-and-trade legislation also has investors and businessmen keeping their wallets locked. They need to save their money rather than invest it in order to prepare for the massively increased costs of doing business.

The only way to solve that would be to dramatically scale back these government interventions and keep capital in the private sector. Unfortunately, we have exactly the wrong people in charge to get that kind of policy out of Washington, and so we will continue to see a vicious cycle of spending and job losses for at least the next several months.

Comments

You should have a caption contest for that photo of Reid and Pelosi. It’s a goldmine of snarky comments just waiting to happen.

jennifernaz on November 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Well, who would have predicted that? /

Disturb the Universe on November 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM

and so we will continue to see a vicious cycle of spending and job losses for at least the next several months years .

Skandia Recluse on November 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Unemployment should last only 3-4 months. After that, you aren’t trying to get a new job.

The best motivator is The Fear. Endless unemployment removes fear (as funemployment demonstrates).

Neo on November 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Pelosi: “michelle told me to just firmly grab ahold of barack’s testicles like this, and then you can get him to basically do anything you want.”

Ghoul aid on November 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Why is Pelosi holding her claws out like that?

OmahaConservative on November 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Why is Pelosi holding her claws out like that?

OmahaConservative on November 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

A taxpayer carrying a wallet must have walked by.

Joe Caps on November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Boing Boing had this rather chilling vid posted

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I am skeptical as this is being reported by the AP, which as we know, SUCKS!

PappaMac on November 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM

The extensions sure stop you from applying for social security if you are at retirement age.

LennyV on November 23, 2009 at 1:08 PM

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Holy Sh!t. It’s like watching America die as the life blood of this country is slowly sucked out of it.

milwife88 on November 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM

When all of those pulling the wagon figure out they can hop on and ride, the wagon stops moving. Grinding to a halt before our eyes.

iurockhead on November 23, 2009 at 1:10 PM

All part of the plan. Just all part of the plan!

capejasmine on November 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM

milwife88 on November 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Staggering, sad, and scary.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

“the government sucks capital out of business…”

There’s the take-away line. Every program and tax the government conceives of has that end in sight.

texabama on November 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Dems believe that unemployment is magically going to improve by next summer in time for the mid-terms. I’m convinced it will only get worse because Dems have no understanding of basic economics.

All of them believe that Obama has a stash.

BuckeyeSam on November 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM

You mean someone has to pay for the UC benefits? I thought all that stuff was paid for out of a stash that’s kept in a tin under some grass in an undisclosed location in the back yard.

forest on November 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM

And yet another picture of Pelosi killing my appetite.

BigWyo on November 23, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Pelosi “Then Frankenfurter turned the dial 3 more wedges”
Reid “I wish I looked that good in a corset”

LincolntheHun on November 23, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Obama’s plan is to kill growth, its the only thing that makes sense.

Irenaeus on November 23, 2009 at 1:16 PM

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

You can literally see the life being squeezed inward, from both sides, and top to bottom. What’s truly scary to me is…this ends at September. I’m not sure I’d want to see what the map looks like now, in November. :(

capejasmine on November 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

milwife88 on November 23, 2009

Republican candidates for 2010 can repackage this focused on their respective states and run it as part of their campaign message. The visuals are stunning and frightening. Thanks for the link, scalleywag.

SKYFOX on November 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Well there are a lot of jobs still out there if you want to work.
I don’t know if Taco Bell in Columbus OH is hiring, but is sure as heck is in Spearfish SD & Bismarck & Dickinson ND.
In these places they are willing to pay up to & over $10/hr.
I know it isn’t a lot, but this is for unskilled labor.
And you get benefits that aren’t too bad.
My kid hired on as seasonal labor at K-Mart in Spearfish- she has spent the 1st 3 days of her employment filling out forms & watching videos, all relating to fed & state regs.
What a waste of time & $$ they have become.
I notice here in ND lots of out of staters moving in to take advantage of our generous welfare benefits.
Disgusting.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM

But how do we get Congress to cut off unemployment benefits? To do that would make them appear “uncaring” and “out-of-touch”. But at the same time, extending unemployment benefits has the unintended consequence of preventing the creation of new jobs. It’s an ugly Catch-22.

Doughboy on November 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Still realing from the map. I would love to compare it to the election map and see just how bad the “blue” states have been hit. Hope and change for all!!!!

milwife88 on November 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Ed, when you post a picture or article about Pelozi, does a horse whinney in the distance?

I swear, I can hear a horse whinney in the distance.

PappaMac on November 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM

capejasmine on November 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Oddly, that video is not posted on the whitehouse.gov page! The #s do come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, who say there are 31 million unemployed.

But no worries, folks…Obama said he’s going to make unemployment his #1 priority as soon as he got back from Asia. Or was that our troops in Afghanistan? My, my, one would almost think the man has ADD.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM

PappaMac on November 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM

LOL!

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM

chronic high unemployment along with generous benefits is a typical European approach.

r keller on November 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM

All of them believe that Obama has a stash.

BuckeyeSam on November 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM

That’s not true. We all know he hasn’t had facial hair in years.

/bleedsgrowsimon343

LibTired on November 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Disgusting.
Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Moving in? Try doing surveillance on Minnesota’s welfare offices: On check day there are dozens of cars in the lot with Illinois plates. It has been well documented that the denizens of Chicago make themselves Minnesota residents because of our welfare system.

Bishop on November 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM

so we will continue to see a vicious cycle of spending and job losses for at least the next several monthsyears.

I fixed that for ya Ed.

Knucklehead on November 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Pelosi: You reach into the conservatives chest like this and rip out the still beating heart before sacrificing it satan.

Ried: Okay go on…

sonofdy on November 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM

My, my, one would almost think the man has ADD.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Yep ADD or in this case Absolute Dumba$$ Disorder for which there is no pill.

I just showed that map to my 13 year old son. His jaw hit the floor. I myself have been out of work for over a year now. There is no such thing as “funemployment”. It sucks and it isn’t going to get better any time soon.

milwife88 on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Neo on November 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Is that right.

I have been unemployed for a year and a half and it’s to the point that some recruiters will no longer talk to me because I pester them so much. I apply for 10 to 12 jobs a week so don’t even try to tell me that I’m not trying to find employment. You can in fact take your little anecdotal comment and stuff it were the sun don’t shine. Oh and for the record I do hope you become unemployed and after four months eat your words.

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I swear, I can hear a horse whinney in the distance.

PappaMac on November 23, 2009

Frau Blucher?

SKYFOX on November 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

+1000

milwife88 on November 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM

The amount of money being taken out of the economy due to funding unemployment benefits is minuscule in comparison to the amounts of money taken out of the economy due to bank bailouts and bailouts in general.

Attention would be better focused on the ill conceived bailouts rather than moneys going to the very people who are negatively affected by the affects of bailouts and stimuli. Which is every common man.

voiceofreason on November 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Boing Boing had this rather chilling vid posted

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

It is kind of interesting how the unemployment seems to start at the east and west coasts and move inward. What is it about the central states that keeps the unemployment down? Farming?

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Bishop on November 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I know that trick all too well.
We have a county next door to the one I live in that gives more generous benefits & it’s where all the dregs of society & other states come to congregate.
So the sherrif in that county is a lot busier.
And there are jobs available at the C-stores & the cafe etc.
And yet, miraculously, they cannot find work.

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Perhaps this is what Neo was insinuating-that many unemployed will not take a job that is ‘beneath’ them.
I am not averse to working at Wal-mart if I have to. I’ve been considering becoming a truck driver during the summers I have off as a teacher.
I think a lot of unemployed won’t work at McDonald’s when that’s the only job they can get.
It must be more profitable for some of those people to remain on UE benefits.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Well there are a lot of jobs still out there if you want to work.
In these places they are willing to pay up to & over $10/hr.
I know it isn’t a lot, but this is for unskilled labor.
And you get benefits that aren’t too bad.
What a waste of time & $$ they have become.
Disgusting.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM

That’s wonderful that Taco bell is hiring. I a 54 year old IT professional and let me tell you that they don’t like people like me working for them. I’ve tried just about every auto parts dealer, fast food join, big box hardware and retail company out there. I’ve tried bus, taxi and truck companies. Everyone says the same thing. They will hire a mom or kid with no experience but they are not interested in an older person with none.

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Frau Blucher?

SKYFOX on November 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Nice, Igor. No, its Eyegor

BobMbx on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

when rahm said ‘never waste a crisis’, i don’t think he realized how prophetic his words would be.

conservatives..don’t waste this crisis. use it to retake the house and short circuit the liberal plans to destroy capitalism.

DrW on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Does Obama have a file named “D’uh” (sub-titled, “Things I Would Know If I Had Any Real World Experience”)? If so, this story should be filed there.

LASue on November 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Yea, I was unemployed for four months before I got my current job. I think I aged about 10 years during that time. There is nothing fun about being unemployed.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM

What is it about the central states that keeps the unemployment down? Farming?

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

My county in SW ND never changed on that video.
There’s hardly anyone living here.
But if they did a map on welfare benefit recipients, I’d bet you see interesting changes in rural America.
And there are jobs where I live.
Friend of mine needed a hired man for his farm & couldn’t find anyone willing to actually work.
A feedlot in Hettinger ND has needed workers for years & can never find anyone to stay.
I could give you stories like this all day long.
Rural areas like where I live usually attract a certain type & that’s who stays.
But there is still a need for workers here-just no one stays.
Maybe bcs there’s no Starbucks nearby.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM

voiceofreason on November 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM

No, this is very important. This directly causes unemployment, first by increasing wage demands (by making an alternative to employment more competitive) and by increasing the cost of all employment to the employer.
Excessive unemployment is caused by wage inflexibility — employers having to lay people off or not hire instead of lowering wages. By effectively doing the opposite, we are making things worse.

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I was wondering about that too. The whole west coast looks, well, dead. Note there is red and yellow around DC. I live a few hours south of there and yea, my little town is black.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I understand that. I’ve seen it happen with my dad.
So he became a website developer & lives off his SS & a few steady clients.
You might have to get creative & go out on your own.
I know an IT guy who moved up to ND from CO & started his own out of the home computer business.
He’s got a contract with the local school, as well as doing business for the locals.
Hope you find something soon!

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I agree with you to an extent. But not to the extent that unemployment benefit funding overrides the ill effects of bailouts and stimuli.

voiceofreason on November 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM

It must be more profitable for some of those people to remain on UE benefits.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I don’t get unemployment any more but when I did I was getting $650 a week. I have to pay $1300 a month for health insurance. During that period when I did collect and I felt I could still get a job in my profession it would have been stupid to take a $300 – $400 job with no benefits. So I can understand why people will not take a job that pays less then unemployment. In fact my state says that you don’t have to and will allow you to remain on unemployment and have a part time job. The amount of you salary is deducted from your weekly claim.

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM

My small business state unemployment rates recently went from .9% to 3.9%. Of course if the economy does not improve so that I can hire back my former employees they will be getting zero!

silvercreeklady on November 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM

To a hammer the whole world looks like a nail.

To a communist/fascist/democrat the whole world…..

jukin on November 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM

jennifernaz on November 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You mean like “Pelosi explains how many SEIU workers it takes to screw in one of those new “green” lightbulbs?” Just sayin.’

highhopes on November 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Senator Webb and Congressman Periello continue to crow about their efforts to extend unemployment benefits for Virginia. I guess he missed the financial aspect of this story. The Commonwealth trust fund for unemployment is already empty. In 2010, they were already planning to reduce benefits. Now, with extended benefits, how much faster will they burn through the money?

hawksruleva on November 23, 2009 at 1:49 PM

voiceofreason on November 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Your probably right; it’s hard to tell exactly.
However, charging employers for their employees in order to pay people to not work is much more efficient (and clear) at screwing up the economy than making clumsy investments in financial and physical infrastructure.
I would rate them at least on the same order of magnitude for importance.

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I think that still breeds dependency bcs let’s face it, if you can stay at home & make $$ for a while, why would you bother to go & work to make the same amount of $$.
Unemployment ins sounds great, but I think the individual should opt for that, like an Aflac plan or something.
Pay while you work out of your own pocket with the idea you might become unemployed someday.
If you don’t buy into it, then you could save up your $$ for a disaster yourself. If you don’t, tough luck.
Why does a business have to save for YOUR rainy day?

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

obama is italianizing the use economy.

it’s a reststop on the highway to serfdom.

next stop:

brezhnevization.

reliapundit on November 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Been there, done that. Being on the outside trying to get back in is horrible.

Mr. D on November 23, 2009 at 1:54 PM

why would you bother to go & work to make the same amount of $$.

Because sitting home on unemployment sucks? It gives you no benefits. It gives you no sense of accomplishment or worth. Yea, people take it to get them by while they get back on their feet but it isn’t something they want long term.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Message from the White House

So just think. The porkulus worked but things were so much worse than we thought that things are still bad and unemployment is a lagging indicator and this is Bush’s recession anyway.

Healthcare is much more important than a few poeple on unemployment. Look at the lines of ill and dying at all our hospitals and the Americans running to Canada and Cuba for care.

Uncle Sam points the finger at you! Do something like checking our the local public housing or alternative occupations for your wife and kids. ACORN will help if you can pass through their office’s searches.

There is help coming as the White House is thinking about you. Over a seven course dinner before a party, it was decided to really do something about you unemployed folks and soon. The planned jobs summit will find real answers and the solution will come faster than a decision on the Afghan War. Travel plans couldn’t be changed however.

Until you find a job, there are lots of things to do, including reading newspapers, watching NBC, burning GE lightbulbs and learning to live without an automobile. Or heat. Think of the enviroment.

Please think ahead to the green jobs, the healthcare and how rotten everything was under the failed policies of the last administration who lorded over the nation and defenseless Democrats in Congress and the Senate, who numerically controlled them sometimes, but not often.

IlikedAUH2O on November 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

+100

I’d prefer to be working too. People making blanket statements like that aren’t thinking, they are emoting. To be fair there are some people that are enjoying their unemployment.

Taco bell and McD’s aren’t an answer for everyone.

dogsoldier on November 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

But in addition to unemployment benefits a lot of workforce centers have misplaced worker programs where you can learn new skills. I took advantage of that when I was unemployed and I think the online courses I took on web and graphic design really helped me find work. I hope to never be unemployed again.

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

IlikedAUH2O on November 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM

hahahahah

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM

IlikedAUH2O on November 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Bravo, and kudos to the creativity. LOL

capejasmine on November 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Porkulus…

The gift that keeps on giving…

FABULOUS…

Khun Joe on November 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

HEY! Barry says that we’re gonna SPEND our way to PROSPERITY! After all, didn’t he come from Harvard?

GarandFan on November 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Why does a business have to save for YOUR rainy day?

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I’m not saying it does but that is the state of the world and I for one am not going to “take one for the team” and not collect if I can.

Change the laws and we as a people will deal with it but don’t expect people to take a stand when the system is designed to give them help when they are in need.

Like I say, change the laws. Elect people that will work towards eliminating welfare in all it’s forms.

Until then I do not think it is fair to chastise people taking advantage of a resource willing provided.

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM

scalleywag on November 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Too bad more people do not think this way.
But there are too many out there that have no shame living off the govt teat.

+100

Taco bell and McD’s aren’t an answer for everyone.

dogsoldier on November 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Well I never made a ‘blanket statement’.
I am not ‘emoting’.
Taco Bell may not be someone’s answer for the long term-but in the end, you gotta get off your but at some point, swallow your pride & make some $$ to support yourself.
I may have 7 years off college under my belt, but I am sure as heck not too proud to buss tables, clean out $hit from a stall or pound posts making a fence, or whatever I’d have to do that may be humiliating, all in favor of making a living.
I have been unemployed.
I have been at the ‘top’ & the ‘bottom’.
I have been on welfare (3 months) & I have been on unemployment-4 months.
I have a teaching job now. So I feel blessed.
But I have done the Taco Bell thing-I have cut trees down & labored like a slave in all kinds of weather & I am here to say that I don’t care how you feel about taking that lowly job-everyone ought to be willing to suck it up & do whatever it takes to provide.
What in the hell did people do 200 yrs ago when there was no govt to take care of them?
That’s right-they sucked it up.
And it wasn’t fun.
Great motivator to save for that rainy day, let me tell you.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM

AP: Porkulus killing new jobs.

Basically what they are saying is “the whole situation sucks.” My response is “What else can you expect from Democratic rule?” And here are 30 Daffynitions by myself and others which express the whole thing even more astringently:

BEST WAY TO ENTERTAIN A SENATOR: Sit down and listen. (Based on a statement by Leonard Louis Levinson)

CODE PINK DEMONSTRATIONS: The politics of personal derangement. (Inspired by a statement by Peter Wood)

DARWIN’S LAW OF POLITICS: He who beats his sword into a plowshare usually ends up plowing for those who kept their swords. (Based on a statement from http://www.ahajokes.com/ bus059.html)

DEMOCRACY: The art of running the circus from the monkey cage. (Variation of a statement by H. L. Mencken)

DEPRESSION: When business is so bad that even the accounts that don’t intend to pay ain’t buying. (Based on a garment center adage)

DEPRESSION: Being broke enough to go to KFC and lick other people’s fingers. (Loosely based on a statement from http://www.taglinesgalore.com/tags/d.html)

DEMOCRATIC FIGHT SONG: “Cantaffordya, here we come!” (Statement by CGW)

DESTROYING FREE MARKETS: Creating black markets. (Based on a statement by Winston Churchill)

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOD AND THE GOVERNMENT: God helps those who help themselves, and the government helps those who don’t. (Based on a statement in E. C. McKenzie, ed., 14,000 Quips & Quotes for Writers and Speakers, 1980)

ECONOMICS: The way things would work out, if we let them. (Statement by Leonard Louis Levinson)

FIRST LAW OF ECONOMICS: If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall. (Based on a statement by Gerald F. Lieberman)

FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC ADMINISTRATIONS:
Republicans rule the country as if it were classless; Democrats rule the country as if they were classless.

HARD TIMES: When you get married for the rice. (Statement from http://www.octanecreative.com/mediatower/bitohumor/oneliner.html)

“HELP WANTED!”: Sign of prosperity. (Loosely based on a statement by Kin Hubbard)

HORRENDOUS POLICY DECISIONS: Frank-‘N’-Dodds. (Statement by CGW)

JOEY’S JEST: My uncle is in trouble with his union. They caught him working on the job. (Based on a statement by Joey Adams)

LOBBYISTS: People who are paid to tell congressmen how to vote. (Based on a statement by Leonard Louis Levinson)

OUR MOST EFFECTIVE AMBASSADORS: Aircraft carriers. (Loosely based on a statement in Gerald F. Lieberman, ed., 3,500 Good Quotes for Speakers, 1983, p. 73)

PARTY ANIMAL: Political hack.

POLITICAL APPOINTMENT: A job in which the work consists of getting the job. (Statement by Leonard Louis Levinson)

POLITICAL REHAB CENTER: Betty Fraud Clinic.

RADICAL MULTICULTURALISM: Tolerating the intolerant. (Based on a statement by Mark Steyn)

RECESSION: Lapse of luxury. (Statement by Lane Olinghouse)

SERIOUS DEBT: Having more attachments on you than a vacuum cleaner. (Loosely based on a statement by John Barrymore)

SOCIALISM: Eurotopian vision. (Inspired by a statement by Mark Steyn)

THE STATE: “The great fiction by which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else.” (Variation of a statement by Frédéric Bastiat)

THATCHER’S THESIS: The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money. (Based on a statement by Margaret Thatcher)

UNION LABOR: A system devised to protect the inept from the unconscionable. (Statement by Frank Dane)

WAUGH’S LAW OF SOCIAL SERVICES: Social needs always exceed existing revenues. (Statement by CGW)

WILSON’S WISDOM: A man who thinks of himself as belonging to a particular national group in America has not yet become an American. (Based on a statement by Woodrow Wilson)

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM

LadinPlaid on November 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Damn! I guess the last person working — and it looks like they’ll be in Cherry County, Nebraska — will need to turn out the lights.

ya2daup on November 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM

That’s right-they sucked it up.
And it wasn’t fun.
Great motivator to save for that rainy day, let me tell you.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM

This brings to mind a story of one of my kids-
she left home & had a little $$ saved up for college.
She maxed out on her loans & when shool was out, instead of looking for a job like we begged her to do, she coasted on the $$ she had saved & went back to her dorm every night to sit on Facebook for 8+ hrs/day.
When we dropped her off at college in Aug she was so paranoid about not having enuff $$ she went & applied for Taco Bell & they offered her $8/hr starting out right away.
She didn’t take the job bcs she said the workplace looked to ‘rushed’ & that she didn’t want to work ‘that hard’.
So now she starts looking at the $$ she needs to come up with for nex semester & she starts panicking she won’t have enuff, even with her loans.
So she goes & works at K-mart, a place she swore she’d never work.
Only now it may not be in time for her to save enuff $$ for next semester & she’s all crazy about how she may have to quit the next semester & get a job to save up enuff $$ for next fall.
I told you so-a parent’s wort nightmare.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM

What is it about the central states that keeps the unemployment down? Farming?

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Lower taxes, a belief that a person should look to himself and his family first, govt later.

MarkTheGreat on November 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I had a great-grandfather who lived in Rhame, ND during the Great Depression. He and a brother had been grain buyers in the Dakotas and Minnesota for decades until the market dried up. After that he and his wife ran a boardinghouse / hotel in Rhame until his death from heart disease sometime around 1940. I can’t help but wonder what he would think of matters today.

ya2daup on November 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM

What is it about the central states that keeps the unemployment down? Farming?

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

HEARTLAND PROSPERITY: When the furrows fly.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 23, 2009 at 2:34 PM

“What have you there my pretty?”
The Wicked Witch of the West

elclynn on November 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My daughter is graduating in Dec 2009
She got a job offer at every campus interview. Many of her classmates did not. she went to school on sports and academic scholarship and has no student debt. she started her job at the beginning of summer and negotiated off in the fall semester for 2 classes to complete graduation. she had full benefits June 1. She bought a house and new car. Tax payers paid 8,000 of her down payment. She took advantage of Obama and bought a new A?C system and did some upgrades to improve energy efficiency.
What is the point? If you work incredibly hard on grades and get an engineering degree, you won’t have to work hard to find work.Accounting, engineering and healthcare are still hiring. Companies still need strong sales people.

seven on November 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Because unemployment payments lasts longer. At least that was how it worked in Florida. In Florida unemployment was a fixed amount, that was paid out at a fixed amount. If I worked a part time job, the amount paid out each week decreased, but since I was burning through the fixed amount more slowly, it lasted longer. I was able to make 9 months worth of unemployment last the 12 months it took me to find another job.

MarkTheGreat on November 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Why does a business have to save for YOUR rainy day?

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Because govt decided that private insurers could not be trusted with unemployment insurance, it had to be a govt program.

The same reason why there is no privatly available bank deposit insurance.

MarkTheGreat on November 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I can’t help but wonder what he would think of matters today.

ya2daup on November 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Rhame is not too far from me. I drive through there when I go to SD or MT.
I think your GG-grandad would really be disgusted at the way things have turned out.
I know I am.

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM

It’s convenient to do these stories now.

Thanks Associated Press! You didn’t have anyone who could have reported this 10 months ago?

We’ll get the same thing once Obamacare passes.

All the horror stories, inefficiencies, waste, fraud, etc. will get plenty of air time a few months after it takes effect.

catmman on November 23, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Count to 10 on November 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

You wanna know how s-to-o-o-o-o-pid these clowns are? All they need to do to turn the middle part of California tan (eliminate a serious unemployment problem) is to turn the pumps on again and grind up a few Delta Smelt.

There’s a whole bunch of poor, immigrant voters tout there in the Central valley that are ready to take Obama’s and the Dems’ heads off because of their environmental policies.

VoyskaPVO on November 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I hope Porkulus kills Nancy’s job.

NoFanofLibs on November 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM

AP: Porkulus killing new jobs

Gee, ya think?

People are simply spending less because they are unemployed, think they could be at any time, fear coming inflation, or higher taxes…or several combinations of the above.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM

So the govt taking money away from the economy hurts the economy?

REALLY?!?!

To most of us here at HA it’s a palmface worthy “no s#!t” moment but to the MSM it appears to be “news” somehow. Go figure.

Yakko77 on November 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Every new unemployed person = new uninsured person who will be in favor of ObamaCare. This is all part of the grand plan folks, don’t for a second forget it.

angryed on November 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM

RagTag on November 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

My ex (58) tried for a year and a half to get work, and finally had to settle for a $9/hr no benefits, no holidays off job as a security officer…He was actually becoming severely depressed. His unemployment ran out, and he almost lost the home our kids were raised in…

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Unemployment will not pay the mortgage or the bills, it will help, but is like a slow leak in the boat. Only those who have someone to help supplement this income will live off of it until they “have” to go look for a job.

lovingmyUSA on November 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Badger40 on November 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I paid my own way through an expensive private college–Drake–and had to stay out a semester here and there to save up money to pay for the next semester. I also had two jos while going to college. Your daughter will live if she has to stay out a semester and replenish her college funds. Thereby learning a great life-lesson.
Do the tough-love thing, which it sounds like you are doing, btw…

lovingmyUSA on November 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

seven on November 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My son is in college now, and it co$t$ beaucoup buck$. I’m an engineer by day, and moonlight as a private math and science tutor in the evenings, and there’s no shortage of parents wanting their kids to get ahead of the class.

With a good education, there’s work out there, but it takes work to find it.

Steve Z on November 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM

“What have you there my pretty?”
The Wicked Witch of the West

Nancy, is that you?

Steve Z on November 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM

You can tell them, but they won’t listen.

Economics is simple, yet apparently nearly impossible to learn.

Merovign on November 24, 2009 at 2:24 AM