Video: SNL destroys Obama over spending

posted at 2:30 pm on November 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

Not only timely and topical, but genuinely funny. And unlike the last time they hit him hard, this attack comes from the right. Who knew they had it in ‘em?

Actually, spending is only a secondary concern here. The chief target is The One’s disintegrating credibility in selling his statist agenda. Never would I have guessed that the great orator’s inability to explain cost savings in ObamaCare would be the subject of late-night mockery this late in the game. No wonder his numbers are at new lows nationally and in the swing state that propelled him to the presidency.

Below the Obama clip you’ll find last night’s obligatory dig at Palin — although even that one’s framed as coming from the DNC and Keith Olbermann, which makes it a double-edged gag about the left’s Palin Derangement Syndrome. Is SNL trending … conservative?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Absolutely amazing. Loved every minute, lol.

nickj116 on November 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

No, but with the Onion making them look very unfunny over the past several months, I’m sure they are sensing a very clear public mood shift…beyond the weak laughs from their lefty studio audience, that is.

AUINSC on November 22, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I have to admit that this skit might make me attempt to stay up past my bedtime.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM

This SNL skit will do to Obama what the “I Can See Russia from My House” skit did to Sarah, mark my words.

We Tea Party Patriots will have our revenge yet!

I think Winston Churchill had the words that sums up this entire weekend: “…now this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

Mutnodjmet on November 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Not only timely and topical, but genuinely funny.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if that is how the private conversation between the two happened.

BDU-33 on November 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

Nope. It’s just that they’re no longer cutting-edge but simply reactionary — and they can read the polls and see the Anti-Obama Train is leaving the station.

I remember when I was a kid and I watched Belushi and Murray and Murphy and they were doing stunts, offering jokes and opinions that you heard no where else. Now, we applaud SNL when they parrot us.

LastRick on November 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM

One of those times the F-word would have made a skit 100x funnier.

Still, it went on too long and was a bit painful to watch. The Obama guy is just awful.

lorien1973 on November 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Ha! I notice that Fred Armisen has turned the mocking Obama mannerisms on again. Funny how he had decided to play Obama so straight there for a while. Almost like someone had instructed him to do so….Funny.

cynccook on November 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM

The Palin 2012 spoof was actually laugh out loud funny. I’m a palin supporter, and if there is a dig there, it is a very mild one.

Chudi on November 22, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

Doubtful, but Rush’s commentary from the last big Obama segment on SNL is still appropriate:

When Johnny Carson dumped on you, i.e., made fun of you, you were a joke. When Johnny Carson dumped on you, you didn’t say, “Oh, wow, all publicity is good publicity, I hope he pronounced my name right.” You didn’t say that. That’s the standard cliche reaction to bad publicity. Johnny Carson hit you, it meant something. And the reason it meant something is that Johnny Carson was never ahead of the people. Johnny Carson waited until the whole country or a majority of the country, he had a sense for knowing what the country thought someone was a joke. And it was then that he piled on.

So Carson validated what a lot of people already thought and that sealed the deal. That was oftentimes the nail in the coffin. Saturday Night Live is not Johnny Carson, but it’s close. Saturday Night Live waited and waited and waited, and they finally made fun of Obama.

IU_Conservative on November 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM

PS. This “kiss me” part is pure comedy gold.

Mutnodjmet on November 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM

It’s funny because it’s true.

Ted Torgerson on November 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I wonder how long it will be before CNN fact checks this.

VPJ on November 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I doubt they’re trending conservative, but slowly, they’re starting to see, that perhaps Obama’s policies, aren’t these great, and wondrous passages to utopia. Look at cap, and trade. If people can’t afford to turn on a tv, they won’t watch shows. The advertisers won’t need to advertise via that medium. Which means, a lot of shows become dust in the wind.

It’s a domino effect, and it will hurt EVERYONE. They may finally see that now.

capejasmine on November 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM

…it is the least you can do WHEN YOU ARE DOING SEX TO ME!

Ditto for the American People. If we are going to be screwed, at least make it worth our while.

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2009 at 2:43 PM

O/T: graphical unemployment timeline by county, scary stuff

commodore on November 22, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I didn’t know SNL was so racist.

trubble on November 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Wow. Just wow. I never in a million years would have thought they would throw in Mrs. O at the end.
I think I’ll have to give SNL another try.

CarolynM on November 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Has Anita Dunn weighed in? The One probabaly doesn’t take kindly to mockery any more than criticism.

Given his ego, I’d say mockery hurts more. At least criticism says they’re taking him seriously.

Wethal on November 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I can’t wait to see the CNN fact check on this one either.

AUINSC on November 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM

A comedy show based in part on current events can’t afford to be the last people to “get it”.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM

SNL saved some fact-checking jobs at CNN.

SouthernGent on November 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Yep. SNL’s not conservative, but they are finally figuring out that the majority of the rest of the country is. They tried for a long time to write us off as just a few fringe extremists. But the tide is starting to turn, and they’re slowly waking up to the fact that it’s not just an average tide, it’s a tsunami, and it’s coming straight at Liberal tools like them.

AZCoyote on November 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM

It certainly wasn’t because they’ve tried to find a good impersonator for the filthy lying coward. They’ve stuck with the same crappy guy from the beginning and he doesn’t come close to being good at it.

highhopes on November 22, 2009 at 2:50 PM

AZCoyote on November 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM

No what I actually find the creepiest is that they had been pretty steadily lampooning Obama and then they abruptly stopped, and even the guy who plays Obama stopped mocking his mannerisms and speech. It would be extremely hard to believe that they were not instructed to do so by someone…say, someone from the admin. or at least someone from NBC. Anyway, they seem to be back at it with a vengeance Let’s see how long that lasts after this skit.

cynccook on November 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM

We had a fun discussion the other night about creativity and turning around on the liberal “think.”

I thought this skit was genuinely funny.

So was the one about Palin, which spoofed the “dangerous” meme.

I have to wonder if they just so enjoyed what a fun sport she was in the election won writers over.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM

AZCoyote on November 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Years ago they were edgy but in the last decade they’ve only been MSNBC with a guest host and a laugh track.

highhopes on November 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

SNL is going rogue!

Dear Liar is also doing sex to America and our values.

rbj on November 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I agree that the second clip was skewering the DNC & Olbermann more than anything, though I’m not sure the audience got it.

The Pulp Fiction reference was so overdue.

pifactorial on November 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM

O/T: graphical unemployment timeline by county, scary stuff

commodore on November 22, 2009 at 2:43 PM

And to think, places with conservative, pro business policies are faring better than the ones where Democrat ideology is put into practice. My neck of the woods? Still below 5%.

bikermailman on November 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Did Comcast buy NBC from GE yet? Just wondering.

Wethal on November 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Did Comcast buy NBC from GE yet? Just wondering.

Wethal on November 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Maybe SNL tries to force them..

the_nile on November 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Yes, a little striking to see more of this from SNL. At some point, no matter what your political bent, you just can’t ignore what’s going on and retain any credibility.

I like the dialogue…….but having the guy speak “Chinese” and then the girl translating it was a little hard to fight through for the punchlines.

Subtitles always work for the “Hitler hates…” videos.

JoeinTX on November 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I wonder if SNL is about to have a rebirth in creativity, and they are going to do it by ignoring the PC rule.

Watch out, if this trend continues.

Every comic in the country is watching to see if they get by with this.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM

nobody can destroy bambi. It seems everybody loves him and Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi and ACORN and SEIU and Eric Holder and the MSM.

bluegrass on November 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM

PS. This “kiss me” part is pure comedy gold.

Mutnodjmet on November 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I could watch it over and over. I have a feeling it’s going to become part of the culture. The next time the GOP asks me for money I will write ‘Are you going to kiss me? Because I like to be kissed when YOU ARE TRYING TO DO SEX TO ME’.

PattyJ on November 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Really? I thought it was perfect pitch.

My usual complaint is that they don’t execute well.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Holding my comment until CNN “fact checkers” give it the once over!

milwife88 on November 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Below the Obama clip you’ll find last night’s obligatory dig at Palin

That wasn’t a dig, that was hilarious! “From the mind of Keith Olberman.” All humor must have a shred of truth; the truth is, this is what all libtards think will happen when Sarah’s elected President (the first ‘totally irrelevant’ person to be elected in history)! And her pick for VP? Cherry on top of the sundae! If SNL keeps this up, I may have to start watching them again.

rmgraha on November 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Letterman is groaning. He doesn’t have the format to switch gears.

He’s stuck with old Palin top 10 jokes.

SNL is about to whip him.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I’ve got to hand it to SNL, this was funny!

Good work!

ted c on November 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Letterman is groaning. He doesn’t have the format to switch gears.

He’s stuck with old Palin top 10 jokes.

SNL is about to whip him.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Even publicity hound John McCain won’t go on Letterman anymore.

Wethal on November 22, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Wonder how this is going over in China?

hepcat on November 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Was Obowma still out of the country when this aired…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Letterman is groaning. He doesn’t have the format to switch gears.

He’s stuck with old Palin top 10 jokes.

SNL is about to whip him.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Fifty bucks says he’s got a Palin look a like blow up doll in that bedroom above the studio.

trubble on November 22, 2009 at 3:13 PM

It was OK, but too long by half as are all of SNL’s skits of late.

It was spot on though and though not a belly-laugher, gave me a few chuckles.

catmman on November 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I’ll bet the WH was on the phone to Immelt first thing this morning…I doubt we’ll see anything like this for a while.

AUINSC on November 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Gee, I think the Palin add describes the Obama administration perfectly.

The RNC should adapt it.

notagool on November 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

lol

Of course not, AP. It’s just good ol’ capitalism at work. Shows like “The Daily Show” and “Colbert Report” made a nice mint off of Bush Derangement, and SNL made one off of Palin Derangement.

SNL is just going to start going after the “leader” because that’s how it’s done. They went after Clinton and Gore, too. The Obama hero worship is over, and they need to make their money.

That’s why you see clips like those two. They’ll never be “conservative” but at this point they have to start making some real shots at Obama to maintain relevance. The Colbert Report is now probably one of the most irrelevant shows — molded after Bill O’Reilly during the Bush era — when now it really should be a mockery of MSNBC and Keith O.

Just the market at work.

lansing quaker on November 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Every time Obama speaks, the American People will wonder if they are being bent over for a sex session “like Mrs Obama!” Right before Thanksgiving!

The line will be “Do I look like Mrs Obama?”

Priceless!

GunRunner on November 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Lol @ will you kiss me? That was funny.

SNL is trending to public opinion, that’s all. They aren’t blind, they have to read their market too.

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM

It’s a rebirth for comics.

They really do have tons of material here, because the left has been so out-of-control.

Call this a “stick the toe in the water” moment.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM

It sounded to me like the SNL live audience was very uncomfortable with the blasphemous criticism of their Messiah.

Kensington on November 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM

lansing quaker on November 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Exactly! Colbert Report should just turn on a dime, with no explanation offered, and become a Countdown parody. That would make sense, because right now it no longer makes sense.

Kensington on November 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM

2nd one was good too!

Spirit of 1776 on November 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Critical of Obama, yes.

Actually funny? No.

ckoeber on November 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Looks like Barry has finally broken the color barrier and will become a regular feature on SNL.

Wonder who Rham is planning on leaning on to cut this off? How many ‘fact checkers’ will be assigned to evaluate this skit?

GarandFan on November 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I don’t watch SNL but I died laughing when I saw this..

royzer on November 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM

AZCoyote on November 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM
—–
At one point, SNL was more of a “thing the cool urban types” watch. Those of us out in flyover didn’t get the jokes (cheezboiger cheezboiger no fries chips) because we don’t go to the Billy Goat or delicatessens, or watch badly dubbed Japanese movies (Samurai Delicatessen) or .. well, you get the idea.

Lorne, in the quest for greater ratings, has removed this “urban” vibe. A lot of the weakness in the current SNL is that it’s *not* edgy, it’s mainstream. If you want edgy, subversive comedy, it’s on YouTube, not the boob tube.

Mew

(who remembers watching Belushi in a bee suit)

acat on November 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Really? I thought it was perfect pitch.

My usual complaint is that they don’t execute well.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Ummmm….. I… ..agree… ..with….. ……Ann?
It was pretty hard to find the keys to type that one out. Didn’t even know if that sentence was in the keyboard.

The ‘chinese’ dialogue coulda been a little lower volume to avoid the distraction, but I think the ‘translator’s’ inflection needed to be spoken to hit the punch lines as she did. Subtitles wouldn’t have effectively conveyed that as well.

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Uh oh….

…..

Is SNL now not a “real” late night entertainment show?

Hawkins1701 on November 22, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Very funny AND simple enough that even non-government geeks will see the ridiculousness of Obama’s never-ending-spending policies.

LASue on November 22, 2009 at 3:36 PM

This may be the beginning of the media jumping off the Obama bandwagon.

Crimefyter on November 22, 2009 at 3:39 PM

SNL clowns on Obama, that’s a peace prize!

nickj116 on November 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Kensington on November 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM

That was my read on the audience reaction also.
“I sorta want to laugh, but that’s my guy Barry they’re smacking on….”

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM

trubble on November 22, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Treacher says that’s what staffers are for. They even get to keep the wigs when they’re done.

Blacksmith on November 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Ummmm….. I… ..agree… ..with….. ……Ann?

Sarah got along with Dems.

You’ll survive agreeing with me once. :)

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Kensington on November 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I used to watch the Colbert Report, at least until the 2008 election and had to stop when its left wing bias became unbearable. Colbert did not even cover “ACORN” which had a prostituition and a pimp because it gives credence to the right (A prostitute and a pimp! think of the comedic potential). He is so completely unhinged now. If he becomes a Keith O Parody and starts poking fun of the left and the right equally, he might become bearable. Till then, hasta la vista, baby.

nyx on November 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I share a relatively big state with you. As long as keep your meat hooks of me and don’t touch my stuff. And if any of you call me ‘Francis,’ I kill ya.

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I liked it. Let’s see if there are more of the same kind coming down the line!

joe_doufu on November 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I was shocked (in a good way) to see this on SNL/NBC. Krauthammer oncevsaid that when they start mocking you, it’s the beginning of the end….we can only hope.

4Freedom on November 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM

That was my read on the audience reaction also.
“I sorta want to laugh, but that’s my guy Barry they’re smacking on….”

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Maybe they were holding back, waiting for the exonerating punchline that would put the conservatives in their place and cleanse everyone.

Kensington on November 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM

If you didnt laugh at that SNL skit you have no sense of humor. Oh yeah I said it.

Dash on November 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I think they had the wrong guy offering his rear… ‘Bow down Obaby, now turn around’… Either way, very funny.

RalphyBoy on November 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Come on, guys. Have a bit of faith in your own perspectives.

Even liberals know the PDS stuff has so jumped the shark.

The pathetic part of this story is that our “expert” pundits will continue to try to push Palin columns as though they are relevant.

Please.

It’s just been an embarassing chapter in American journalism.

They have others.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM

And if any of you call me ‘Francis,’ I kill ya.

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Never. But I do like a man who isn’t afraid of his feminine side.

*hooting*

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:50 PM

“Ahhhh, we won’t accept repayment in, how you say, clunkers?”

gold!

ted c on November 22, 2009 at 3:51 PM

This was a genuinely funny skit. I laughed out loud at least 3 times and it’s been probably almost a decade since SNL elicited that kind of reaction from me(going back to Celebrity Jeopardy and the Gore/Bush debate sketches).

It was a lot edgier than the last Obama skit. First of all, Armisen went back to at least attempting to impersonate the guy. Plus, they expanded on the narrative of him being a “do nothing” President and poked fun at how he makes preposterous and impossible claims to justify his agenda.

I think SNL sees the writing on the wall. Trillions in debt, double-digit unemployment, people protesting all over the country, sinking poll numbers for Obama and Congress, the election results in Virginia and New Jersey, bowing to foreign leaders, and Palin’s astronomical book sales and rising favoribility ratings. You can write off some of those things, but not all of them. Something is happening in this country and they can either acknowledge it or continue to pander to a shrinking left-wing fringe that’s lost all credibility.

Doughboy on November 22, 2009 at 3:51 PM

The line will be “Do I look like Mrs Obama?”

Priceless!

GunRunner on November 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM

“Will you kiss me?” and “Do I look like Mrs Obama?” will be nice memes.

the_nile on November 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM

The Chinese head of state offering his hind quarters to Obama still manages to look more dignified than Obama’s bow to the Japanese Emperor.

Spc Steve on November 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I’m noticing a leftist meme that Obama’s failure in China is the fault of Americans spending too much, and he’s just a victim of circumstance.

JohnJ on November 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I love that skit, funnier than the one they did about Paterson.

SuperManGreenLantern on November 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM

If it’s any conciliation even my twenty-five year old, who thinks Steward and Colbert are very funny, finds them pretty vicious and blatantly partisan lately.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Not sure what you know of my feminine side. My attorney assured me all those photos had been scrubbed from the internets. Therefore, I will continue to deny.

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Spc Steve on November 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM

True, that

nyx on November 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

LOL*

Who says conservatives don’t have a sense of humor.

BTW, the funniest part of this entire story?

Who would imagine that so many conservatives actually watch SNL!

That blows ME away.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM

This is just business for them. They can’t deny that the coservitive viewership is where the money is. Hippies don’t consume enough…lol.
I love this backlash against dear leader.

pageram on November 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM

You’ll get to recycle that line on January 20th, 2013.

Fabozz on November 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM

It can’t be that difficult to believe, Ann. There are some genuinely funny people on Hot Air alone. But I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that a bunch of conservatives watch SNL. Not regularly, anyway. We have jobs and families chock full of children. That’s why we pay Allahpundit so much to chew our food for us here. He and Ed suffer through it so that we don’t have to.

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Fabozz on November 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM

True true!

lorien1973 on November 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

Um, I think you mean racist.

Jim Treacher on November 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM

‘will you do sex to me?’…’just do it and get it over with’

bloody funny….

cmsinaz on November 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Good point.

AnninCA on November 22, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I loved them both and can’t remember the last time I ever laughed hard at two SNL sketches in one day.

I saw the Palin skit as a left-handed compliment actually. Gags and Olberman aside, you put Sarah Palin in a shot and President-Elect 2012 below it, and that resonates with an audience and gives the idea legitimacy. It was a powerful image, that.

Ozwitch on November 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Um, I think you mean racist.

Jim Treacher on November 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM
—-
Yeah, the Chinese bit was a bit borderline.

Mew

acat on November 22, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Is SNL trending … conservative?

The actors just realized that their politics won’t buy the bacon and they better start bringing in viewers or get used to living on food stamps again.

Bicyea on November 22, 2009 at 4:27 PM

BREAKING: White House Declares SNL “Not a Real Comedy Show”

Jim Treacher on November 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Tom_OC on November 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Perfect explaination of why most people don’t watch TV news or subscribe to the WaPo, NYT, or even the local paper.

BetseyRoss on November 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM