Democratic senator: Sure, I’ll commit political suicide to pass ObamaCare

posted at 6:53 pm on November 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s not every day you see a politician extend a rhetorical middle finger to his constituents, so enjoy this. It’s no mere hypothetical, either. His numbers in Colorado have been weak for months; meanwhile, The One’s approval rating there slipped below 50 percent as far back as April. Bennet’s facing a tough primary challenge, where he’ll be hammered if he votes no, and then what’ll no doubt be a tough general election, where he’ll be hammered if he votes yes. He might as well vote his conscience and prepare for the firing squad. Besides, Democrats aren’t really concerned with voters anymore. They’re answering to … a higher power now.

What’s Reid’s back-up plan if Obama’s ratings crumble a bit further and even Democrats like Bennet start to panic? Wonder-twin powers, activate! Form of a RINO!

The two moderate Republican senators from Maine, Susan M. Collins and Olympia J. Snowe, both say Senator Harry Reid, the majority leader, reached out to them after he unveiled the Senate measure, encouraging them to bring forward their ideas and concerns…

“I have ruled out voting for this bill but I still very much want to vote for a bill and that is why I am continuing to have discussions,” said Ms. Collins. “I still cling to the belief that it is possible for a group of us to come together and rewrite the bill in a way that would cause it to have greater support.”…

Both senators have been talking privately with Democrats and independents about devising joint amendments in such areas as cost control, and both said they would continue to look for compromises.

“I’m prepared to continue to work to improve the legislation,” said Ms. Snowe, who said how her proposals are handled will “be a true test of whether there is a will to improve this legislation in a non-ideological, bipartisan manner.”

Exit question: Who’s going to be Reid’s 60th vote for cloture, Snowe or Collins? Don’t tell me neither. We all know how this horrible story ends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

When oh when will the constituents of their districts get rid of Snowe and Collins? What in the world will it take?

davecatbone on November 23, 2009 at 5:51 AM

True_King on November 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Optimism will yours when you trade in that half empty glass.

Americannodash on November 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM

It is neither pessimism nor optimism that my statement intends to convey, it is realism. I have no doubt that we win in the end. I’m simply stating that the socialist opportunity is now and they must get their agenda through.

True_King on November 23, 2009 at 7:06 AM

We should tag the Dems as Deathwish Democrats and make it stick. Voting for their catastrophic healtcare bill will mean the end of their careers, the end of the best healthcare system on the planet and will sound the deathknell for our economy.

Deathwish Democrats.

RandyChandler on November 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM

This is all a nice show and gets CNN, Fox, MSNBC a bit of a ratings boost. Even CSPAN must be having some crazy numbers on Saturday night.

But it’s all for naught. The fix was in long ago. This deal is done.

angryed on November 23, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Hope all the “moderate” Republicans are having fun with this.

Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe (RINOS) are Obama’s only hope. And they – will prolly come through for him!

Yay for the “big tent”!

HondaV65 on November 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM

It appears that neither Snowe nor Collins operate under any system except the combined premises of expedience, pragmatism and whatever works. I suppose this may be how the ‘system’ was designed to work with the hope that something acceptable would emerge. I do find myself wondering if sitting perpetually on a fence is comfortable though.

jeanie on November 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM

59 Dems will vote yes one of the Maine idiots will too. Then the next day every paper in the country will have a big headline that reads:

BIPARTISAN SUPPORT DELIVERS FREE HEALTH CARE FOR ALL

And any time the abomination of the system it creates is criticized, the response from Obama/MSM will be ” well it was a bipartisan effort so how can you possibly complain you right wing wacko?”

angryed on November 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM

It will be fun to watch the good Senator’s constituents extend their figurative middle fingers back at him in the voting booth when he’s up for re-election.

olesparkie on November 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I will not vote for ANY incumbent on the ticket for the federal government. Scum all of them.

djtnt on November 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Terrif! The Throw the Baby out with the Bathwater strategy.

Buy Danish on November 23, 2009 at 8:31 AM

300,000,000 dollars,ethics? Lets face it trading highways for federal buildings has become commonplace but please don’t tell me 300 mil to take over 20% of the economy and destroy Health care for Americans is ethical.These people think that if it’s done under the Dome of the Capitol that it’s just fine. Tell them it’s NOT.

tim c on November 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Therefore: SUICIDE VOTERS:
These people have a jihad in progress against the Constitution and the People of The United States: Another reason they want to eliminate the term “terrorism”; They know they will be rewarded, for the rest of their lives, for voting in lockstep with their messiah;
AND THE VICTIMS OF THEIR DEMOCRAT JIHAD ARE HELPLESS!

Cybergeezer on November 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I predict that 60 votes will require both Snowe and Collins. I’m optimistic that one will pleasantly surprise us. In fact, I’m thinking neither will vote for cloture, because of a couple of Democratic Nay votes. No reason to give up hope yet.

Also, I think it’s extremely important what Snowe and Collins are doing, because it poisons trying to ram the Health Care Boondoogle through with a 51 vote majority. I’d rather not have a health care bill, but given the 60 Democratic Senators, I’m glad that Snowe and Collins are playing the game they are. What happens will not be quite as bad. And if they did nothing, we’d get the leftist bill of 50 non-Blue Dog Democratic Senators.

thuja on November 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Let the fight begin!

bluegrass on November 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Democratic senator: Sure, I’ll commit political suicide to pass ObamaCare

Excellent. The bill dies and we get Colorado back to solid Red, as it should be. Looks like we make some real progress in the Senate next November, folks. We have shots at:

Illinois
Colorado
Connecticut (wow)
Arkansas
Nevada (heh)
Pennsylvania (heh)
Washington?
Indiana? (I dare Evan Bayh to vote for this pos. I dare him.)

Jaibones on November 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM

RECALL

nondhimmie on November 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I am reminded of a line from Quentin Tarantino’s latest:

Paraphrasing… “DONNY! We got a guy here who wants to die for country. Oblige him.”

Red Cloud on November 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Did you see him shake in his seat when he’s told, “That tape will be held…” I think he understands he’s gone, but I don’t think he realized what admitting would do.

nondhimmie on November 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM

He better hope that the people don’t jump him and hold him down and take the knife out of his hands before he can plunge it into his guts. They may look the other way when people do it in Japan but here in the States we look people up in the psyche ward for far less….

Sultry Beauty on November 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

lock=look

Sultry Beauty on November 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

As one of Bennet’s constituents, I will go door to door across the state if I have to, to ensure this tool does not get elected. He is not, like all the Dems, not listening to their constituents on this one.

As for Gov. Ritter, I hope you have another job lined up. You are out this next election. Scott McGinnis will be the next governor.

thinkingmom on November 23, 2009 at 4:37 PM