Video: Norah O’Donnell challenges teen Palin admirer to televised debate

posted at 11:15 am on November 21, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I know I’ve seen this script before. Didn’t CNN boot Susan Roegen for doing essentially the same thing when she “reported” on a Chicago Tea Party by arguing with the attendees? What’s the difference? Other than Norah O’Donnell picking on teenagers rather than adults for her impromptu debate, not much at all:

Here’s the response from 17-year-old Jackie Seal, who found herself in the role of Joe the Plumber simply for standing in line to get her book signed (via Chris at HAP, who also clipped the video):

She asked the man beside me (who by the way is NOT my dad) the same question she had before we went on air. Myself on the other hand, not the same story. She had me read my shirt and then proceeded to ask me “Did you know Sarah Palin supported the bailout” to be 100% honest I was like, are you kidding me? She is trying to use my shirt against me. I was so shocked by the craftiness she had that I was truly stumped. I asked her where she got her fact and she read her little note. Then she asked me what I liked about Sarah, and I talked about the Constitution…

Immediately after the interview I said to my dad “Oh man, I have so many great responses now about my shirt” I could have said, well my shirt doesn’t say anything about Sarah Palin supporting the bailout or “Hey Norah, have you read the book? She talks about how during her debate prep she was handed a list of note cards that had questions and ‘non-answers’” Of course they told Sarah Palin to support everything McCain did. Call me crazy but it would have looked pretty bad had Sarah Palin been against something John McCain was against while they were running together.

Norah also claims I told her I voted (on her twitter). That is not true. She never asked my age or if I voted. I’m 17 I couldn’t have voted…and I don’t live in an ACORN district so I didn’t have a chance to even register illegally. Making that statement by Norah completely false.

It wasn’t the only false statement. Jackie forced O’Donnell to explain her statement that Palin backed the bailouts rather than take O’Donnell’s word for it.  The only thing O’Donnell could offer was a wan statement of generic support for John McCain from Palin, not an explicit “hey, let’s give away a trillion dollars to Wall Street” policy statement.   O’Donnell not only looked for someone she could bully, but then did so dishonestly, rather than report objectively or even argue honestly.

Of course, this is MS-NBC, which means O’Donnell will get back pats for bullying Palin fans.  As my friend John Ziegler can attest, it’s not as though MS-NBC encourages honest debate or objective reporting.  She crossed swords with John a few times over Media Malpractice, but John wasn’t an unprepared 17-year-old waiting for a book signing.  Find out how Norah O’Donnell fared when she tried boxing in her own weight classification by following the links, especially when she ducked him the last time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s important that O’Donnell understands her limits. Seventeen and unprepared. Sounds about right.

29Victor on November 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Seventeen and definitely prepared. Didn’t give an inch but was polite and poised in battle.

Norah was Custer at Little Big Horn, unprepared for what happened next.

unclesmrgol on November 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM

O’Donnell made a fool of herself. She’ll probably do it again. And….she’d certainly do it in a debate with that teenager.

jeanie on November 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Pwned by a teenager. That’s gonna leave a mark.

As I remember it, the bailout was supposed to buy up toxic assets, re-rate the risk associated, and then re-sell them at market value. That sounded reasonable enough because bad gov’t policies (let’s give everybody houses, yay) created the toxic assets in the first place. Critics didn’t support it because it sounded like it was going to get abused — which it did. Also, the Palin quote sounded like boiler plate VP supporting the guy at the top of the ticket. Soooo… even with a Blackberry Norah still couldn’t get all the facts straight.

I’ve watched this clip a couple times, and Norah’s absolute contempt for the people standing in line is as chilling as her ignorance is annoying.

bitsy on November 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Seing this clip & reading this young lady’s blog make me hopeful for the future of the Republic.

Norwegian on November 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM

This has probably been covered on the previous comment page, but Are. You. Smarter. Than. A. Seventeen. Year. Old.

Nope.

bikermailman on November 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM

i come from a long line of irish texan democrats (not to be confused with liberals, but still bleeding hearts). how i became conservative is easily recognized—i was in the marine corps during the carter/reagan transition.

anyway…my family all used to think i was insane, but the last 1 1/2 years have given them pause and the past 6 months have opened many eyes. it’s nice to hear cousins and nieces now arguing for the conservative values they so recently embraced.

even my saintly oirish mudder has had a bit of realization. just a bit, mind you.

ambushes and dishonesty in the media only serves our cause as people wake up to the stunningly low threshold the elites will cross in pursuit of whatever their goals may be this week.

devadevadasa on November 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM

cant

winston on November 21, 2009 at 1:30 PM

What intellectual capacity, exactly, does Norah O’Donnell have over Sarah Palin?
After viewing the Julie Seal part of the clip again, I think the teenager whipped the ambush journalist mom of three. The “Constitution was written so that government would be limited, didn’t become out of control and taken out of the hands of the people.”
Norah O’Donnell: Liberal Eye Candy, Intellectual Lightweight.

ExpressoBold on November 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Jackie Seal for President in 2028! This is extra incentive for me to stay alive nineteen more years.

burt on November 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Norah O’Donnell should stick to bashing her sister-in-law from the stall of ladies rooms.

Texyank on November 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Way to go Nora.
Great job pinning down the teenage girl with follow up after follow up.

“specifically”….that’s right, demand specifics…

……you know…..all the things you DON’T demand of Obama.

Not one single one of these so called journalist ever tried to pin Obama down the way Nora is going after this little girl.

Keep up the good work last place CNN.
It can’t be easy having so many resources but only having the confidence of 12% of the population.

Used car dealers pole better than this with the public.
The MSM must be proud.

Baxter Greene on November 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Abaout Sarah and Porkulus:

McCain had taken the lead in supporting Porkulus. Sarah was not going to contradict him during the campaign.

Sekhmet on November 21, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I tried to email the Lame-Stream-Bully in question… I wanted to ask her to produce even a single video of her pulling this kind of stunt on an Obama supporter… EVER>
No email address found, and I’m sure she would not have the vid I would ask her to present…. She Lies!

RalphyBoy on November 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Way to go, Norah, bullying a young lady. Normal women don’t feel the need to take on an earnest young girl. But then, rabid lefties aren’t normal, are they? All that anger, all the frustration.
In 10 years, Norah will be in full blown liberal hag mode – like this one.

CarolynM on November 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Bummer, next time someone asks

“Did you know Sarah Palin supported the bailout”

Say “Seriously are you an idiot? Governors don’t vote in Congress, moron”

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I like Sarah on a personal level, but frankly, O’Donnell is right that there is a lot of confusion about where Palin stands on the issues. For example, amnesty for illegal aliens is very unpopular, and it’s one of the reasons McCain is so unpopular here at HotAir, yet as far as I’ve heard Palin hasn’t stepped back from supporting the same position on amnesty as McCain. In her interview on Hannity last week she reaffirmed it.

FloatingRock on November 21, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Say “Seriously are you an idiot? Governors don’t vote in Congress, moron”

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Crist in Florida could use that same defense against Rubio, except that “support” has a different meaning than “vote”.

FloatingRock on November 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Palin/Seal 2012!

Caper29 on November 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Imagine the yute vote…

RalphyBoy on November 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Norah O’Donnell = Jayson Blair = Dan Rather = Journalists who followed the Edwards campaign and got scooped by the The National Enquirer.

I give you the MSM.

Geochelone on November 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

FloatingRock on November 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Very true. But to be fair… Palin was supporting the top of the ticket, and the campaign in general on an issue that developed quite rapidly.

Crist had a photo op with Obama.

BPD on November 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Honestly, that little girl kicked Nora-the whora’s ass. The interview might be red meat for the 5 wackos who watch MS-DNC, but that 17-year-old came across as engaged, informed, decent, and honest. As Nora went back to interviewing the man, you could see that she was not happy about how her ambush of the teenager went. She got her skinny ass handed to her by a kid skipping 4th hour math to meet Sarah Palin. That’s gonna leave a mark.

Rational Thought on November 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I’m sure this has come up before but it’s worth posting again:

Read the blog this girl writes, especially the post on the attack “interview” with norah. Jackie is a brilliant writer and brings up a lot of points that are in the comments here (Palin wasn’t about to contradict JMC on the campaign trail, the shirt didn’t even say anything about sarah in the first place, etc…)

ReformedAndDangerous on November 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Making a fool of yourself is standard operating procedure for MSNBC commentators. Norah O’Donnell losing a debate with a high school student is not surprising, but expected. Having an IQ above double digits is a disqualification for potential MSNBC employees and Norah just confirms that. Resorting to lies to even her intellect with the teenager didn’t work.

volsense on November 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Clearly Norah would treat people in line for Ms. Clinton’s book signing the same way. Not!
perroviejo on November 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM

uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm……….
What line?

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM

ReagansRight on November 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Your T-Shirt is incomplete, it needs another line like uhmm

“And Swallows”

Perhaps front and back?

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Norah O’Donnell is the Lori Drew of cable news.

Jim Treacher on November 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM

In 10 years, Norah will be in full blown liberal hag mode – like this one.

CarolynM on November 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Now that’s there’s funny, I don’t care who you are… And Palin’s look is just awesome too…

RalphyBoy on November 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM

In fairness, did you notice this 17 year old girl was white? All racists ought to be challenged.

RightWinged on November 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Deep thoughts, From MediaMatters,

“I believe Norah because she’d have no reason to say it unless she had been told that. Her evidence that the girl wasn’t 13 was that the girl told her that she had voted in the previous election, so she relayed that info to us.

If she had no idea how old the girl was, why would ANYONE invent THAT lie?”

CYA. When it “appears” your attacking a “minor” on National TV it LOOKS BAD!
Odds are it’s a firing offence.

Thankfully the news was there covering to whole thing, I’m sure they have footage of Nora asking how old she was and/or if she voted.

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Atta girl. Such poise and grace she showed. Well done.

princetrumpet on November 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM

On top of all that…why is the TARP question even relevant? The shirt had nothing to do with Palin. Palin didn’t vote or against TARP. Nor is Palin running for office. Gawd!, these people! And they say Palin is dumb.

Fed45 on November 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I was so shocked by the craftiness she had that I was truly stumped.

Sarah Palin herself can understand that. Even average everyday conservatives are going to have to get over the idea that these lib snakes like O’Donnell are people brimming with good will.

ddrintn on November 21, 2009 at 4:16 PM

LOL…I tweeted O’Donnell challenging her regarding the girl’s age and her basic accusation that she voted illegally in 2008. To my “great surprise” it magically didn’t appear.

GinaE on November 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Don’t they get upset by Fox sending field interview guys after adults in the news?

I wish I could get one of these MSNBC thugs to jump me for a debate. I shall refrain from making a personal comments about a couple of those clowns.

IlikedAUH2O on November 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Gawd! That woman is a hateful, loathsome, opportunistic, weak minded, lefty 8itch!

She tried to ambush that little gal after she saw that the guy was going to hand her a$$ to her. But the little gal did pretty good even though she was unprepared for that question. Unlike Norah O’Donnell who had her question and line of attack all prepared.

conservnut on November 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Weaselly predator separates a calf from the heard and gets trampled for her troubles. Slinks off to lick her wounds.

BDavis on November 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Sounds to me like The Boss should add her to the Green Room.

Mr_Magoo on November 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Her twitter bio:

Christian.Conservative.Soccer Player.Bible.Constitution.Patriotic.Sarah Palin Fan.One Nation Under God.

Pray for her continued protection, if you’re inclined to do so. Pray that “they” leave her alone.

Mr_Magoo on November 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Ed your headline sucks.

It should be:

Video: Norah O’Donnell challenges teen Palin admirer to televised debate - and loses

Just sayin’.

BKennedy on November 21, 2009 at 5:54 PM

FloatingRock on November 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Depends, what I do know her (Nora) little head would have exploded on national TV, it would reduce her to a babbling idiot without her “que card” to help her out.

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I have a chihuahua, please dont demean him by comparing him to O’Donnell!!!!

akerralls on November 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Apologies to your chihuahua.

yoda on November 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Norah will be in full blown liberal hag mode – like this one.

About that hag pic.

A few questions I would like someone to answer.
In the “photograph” business aren’t photos “copy written”?

Lets see hummm?

Newsweek and MSNBC are one in the same, have been since 1999.

Andrea Mitchell MSNBC appears to be trying to get a reaction to the Newsweek cover photo.

According to “Runner’s World’s”, Newsweek ran the photo without Runner’s World’s knowledge or permission, is that legal?

Obviously it’ “unethical” but is it illegal?

Why, out of perhaps thousands of public domain photos of Palin, why did they select one they didn’t have the rights to?

Why did they select a photo that includes Palin’s “Blue Star Flag” and then cover it up?

What “message” are they trying to convey here?

“We hate parents of military personnel”?

Or is it “We hate the Military”?

Seriously, they went out of their way to get a photo they didn’t have the “rights” to, the ONLY photo I know of that has Palin and her “Blue Star Flag” in it, and then edit out the “Blue Star Flag”.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that no one at Newsweek/MSNBC knows what the “Blue Star Flag” means.

I do not believe this was an accident; they went after this photo for a purpose.

Do they still think it’s the Israeli flag?

The Israeli flag is a 6 point star

The “Blue Star Flag” is a 5 point star.

Their not that stupid are they?

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Never get in a public debate with a kid. There is no way you’ll look good. You’ll either be seen as a bully if you win or as an idiot if you lose.

AaronGuzman on November 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Do they still think it’s the Israeli flag?

The Israeli flag is a 6 point star

The “Blue Star Flag” is a 5 point star.

Their not that stupid are they?

DSchoen on November 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I’ve seen that ‘Palin has an Israeli Flag in her office’ mem a few places… All part of the accusations are what matters MO.
I do like your reasoning and research above… Great effort. Just a big set up from the git-go it seems.
Actually, I like the Runners World photo – and see no reason to knock Sarah for having posed for it. Remember Odumbsh*t coming out of the surf? The abs….. faintsThe ABs! What, not posed (or at least planned)? Yeah right. And Hillary and Bill use to dance on the beach all the time.

RalphyBoy on November 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I have read she has a small Israeli flag in her office given to her by friends who had toured the Holy Land. I think I read it at Seraphic Secret blog. It was a long time ago though so I am not sure.

onthego on November 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM

AaronGuzman on November 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Or if you are as talented as Norah, a bully and an idiot.

Lily on November 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM

RalphyBoy on November 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Exactly. There’s enough space in the world for both kinds of photos, given the right context. The media could take pictures of the President on the beach, yet show him the courtesy of not running that as their cover photo when criticizing his policies or political positions. Nor would they ever use that photo to ‘sum him up’, without some major provocation (like the proverbial fiddling while Rome burned, for instance).

It’s all about context. The idea that Sarah’s pic was perfectly sensible in one context but totally out of place in another is something they most assuredly understand, which is why they ran it to begin with — denying it in public on the one hand while, on the other, taking the kudos from the left for making precisely that smear.

The way Newsweek and the media at large have handled this topiic has tipped their hand all the more, made it all the more obvious for all to see.

RD on November 22, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Liberalism is well known to be seated in the more child like aspects of the human being. This is a perfect example. The child encounters the child and challenges the child to a fight.
Just plain pathetic. At least one of the children has a chance to grow up and continue to contribute to society as she is already doing such an admirable job of.
the other child needs to get a job that gives something back.

Sarah was my Mayor before she was my Governor. I liker her.

Army Brat on November 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM

If I had any money, I’d be willing to bet that Snorah didn’t even attempt to interview any grown-ups.

leepro on November 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM