Lincoln warns Reid: Drop the public option or next time I’ll filibuster

posted at 4:20 pm on November 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Today’s moment of truth, courtesy of Greg Hengler. The cave-in comes at the beginning followed by the public-option ultimatum at 3:15. She hit all the points predicted by Jay Cost, i.e. we need reform but maybe not this kind of reform but let’s debate it anyway ’cause I’m a free-thinkin’ moderate, but I’m surprised at how dug in she seemed to be about a public plan. It’ll be hard for her to cave on the next cloture vote having thrown down the gauntlet in a setting as visible as this.

Will today’s “compromise” earn her any goodwill with conservatives? Judging from Palin’s latest tweet, I’m going to guess no:

Not sure I can convince Sen. Lincoln to vote no – but will do everything in my pwr to convince my friends in Arkansas to vote against her.

I was going to give you the clip of Landrieu too, but if she can’t even figure out who it was who first accused her of being bought — hint: not “very partisan Republican bloggers” — then she’s not worth listening to.

Comments

Lincoln’s Gutless-Burg Address.

MaiDee on November 21, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Once a move is made to close debate and have a final, up/down, majority vote a Senator may then filibuster the move to close debate. As noted VERY CLEARLY above, the Senate needs 60 votes to overcome the debate cloture motion.

This isn’t that hard, people….

JoeinTX on November 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Or……

Reid can take a some obscure bill that received 60 votes for cloture, and add Obamacare as an ammendment to that bill. Presto you only need 51. And in reality they only need 50 since Joe Biden would be #51 in case of a tie.

angryed on November 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM

This isn’t that hard, people….

JoeinTX on November 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Ahhh… but you see… its not LAW or the Constitution that makes the Senate run this way… but Senate Rules and Tradiditon.

Those “Rules” can be changed by the majority… and you can even have a vote to suspend a “rule”.

Its a “rule” that every bill must be read, in full, on the
Senate floor… yet this “rule” is constantly bypassed by vote…

Normal “rules” are you need 60 votes to bring a bill to the floor for debate… and 60 votes for cloture (closing debate), but only 51 votes to actualy pass the bill itself…

But under the “rules” for a Budget bill… it only takes 50 votes to close debate… thus this WAS the REAL vote… the one that could have derailed this whole debacle…

Remember… Harry Reid won’t be there next term anyway, so what does he care for Senate rules, or Tradition… he can now declare this a “Budget” bill, which only needs 50 votes to end debate… and 51 to pass…

Romeo13 on November 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Okay people, from wiki:

> How many Senate votes are needed to shut down a filibuster?
> In: US Constitution [Edit categories]
JoeinTX on November 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM

What does the Constitution have to do with the way the majority party runs things in Washington?

MassVictim on November 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Midas on November 21, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I meant 300,000,000.

Brat4life on November 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM

“Once they begin the debate they only need 50 to pass it. But, should a filibuster break out, that requires 60 votes to overcome and move to final passage.

That is what Liebermann meant by saying he would be joining in a filibuster with the GOP………he’s #60. If he follows through he can stop this thing. If…..”

WRONG

they are going to use reconciliation to shove it though. a filibuster means nothing then. they just need 50 plus plugs biden

this is over

take care comrads

sidewinder22 on November 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM

sidewinder22 on November 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I thought reconciliation is unconstitutional. This is pissing me off and I am ready for war.

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Other than that, how was f***ing America, Mrs. Lincoln?

LibTired on November 21, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Harry knows he doesn’t have the 60 votes for cloture. He’s going to ram it through reconcilliation. Then Botox nan is going to bribe all of her people to pass this piece of crap. This is one unconstitutional bill filled with nothing but bribes.

Brat4life on November 21, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM

It’s not unconstitutional it was only supposed to be used for budget purposes this is how Slimy Harry is going to pass this, by saying it’s a budget issue.

Right now the Dems are wiping their butts with the Constitution. They don’t care about what it says.

Brat4life on November 21, 2009 at 6:21 PM

True, but does/would Reid have the votes to suspend those rules? We don’t know. I wouldn’t necessarily put it past him.

But, I think everyone here needs to cool the hell off and quit acting like this thing is a done deal. It’s not. It’s still has a ways to go.

Talk about a bunch of people ready to throw up their white flags and wringing their hands, Good God, ya’ll.

JoeinTX on November 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Lincoln is lying. She’s holding out for a bigger payoff.

BottomLine5 on November 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

holger,

i dont know if it would fall under unconstitutional

but it would fall under sleazy, underhanded and morally wrong

its only been done very infrequently and ONLY for emergency budgetary reasons, when legislation is stalled

they are doing it out of pure twisted ideology

sidewinder22 on November 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Nope… not unConstitutional under the current “interpretation” of the Con…

But then again… under the current interpretation we have a Dual Citizen who is a Natural born as President…

We have a Farmer who grew his own grain, to feed his own chickens, having that grain destroyed because it “may” affect Interstate Commerce.

We have the Taking of Property by the Government, so it can be given to a Company to use… and that same property now sitting idle and vacant…

We have “Congress shall make no law” inhibiting Freedom of Speech (pretty clear to me) but the Supremes saying that they ignore that clear prohibition “for the Greater Good”….

Shall I continue?

Romeo13 on November 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

this is over

take care comrads

There are an entirely different set of rules to turn this into a spending-only bill. It’s simply about changing the title and having a vote to reconcile.

But, that being said, I’ve got to quit today because I can’t take any more. You fatalistic MF’ers have got to pull the .45 out of your collective mouths and take a deep breath for a bit.

I am ashamed to be a part of Hot Air today for the first time.

JoeinTX on November 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM

How about dropping the mandate? That’s worse than the public option, Constitutionally and otherwise. We’ve picked the wrong fight.

The Dean on November 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM

JoeinTX on November 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

IMO? Its all Kabuki Theatre. Obama and Reid cannot afford NOT to force this through…

Reid will NUKE the Senate rules to get this through… because he is done as a politician anyway… and this is his “Legacy”…

Yes, its a scorched Earth Tactic… but Reid will use it.

Romeo13 on November 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM

thats why lowlifes like nelson, landfill, lincoln (even lieberman) are so pathetic

they are just providing cover for themselves. now they can vote no, and reid wont need them

then they go back to their mind numb robot constituents and say “LOOK AT ME, I VOTED NO. NOW RE-ELECT ME”

and you know what, those mind numb robots probably will

sidewinder22 on November 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I thought reconciliation is unconstitutional.

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM

To quote SanFranNan…
Are you serious? Are you serious?

angryed on November 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I thought reconciliation is unconstitutional.
Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM

To quote SanFranNan…
Are you serious? Are you serious?
angryed on November 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM

What’s this ‘Constitution’ you speak of? /sarc

Juno77 on November 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Ugh. Screw it. Lets take power back with gunfire, air support, TOT Barrages and CQB. I am getting sick of my Liberty at stake every election.

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM

ok, i’ll kit up.

ted c on November 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Oh dear, the estrogen is kicking in with dear blanche! Look out the gal is wanting more graft to vote for this. Her kids and g-kids need to not be under what this gosh horrible bill will MAKE us American’s be under. I have been wondering for sometime, how does an American in the house or senate want to crater our Republic if not for lots and lots of money? I guess I could not sleep or live with myself if I was doing what they are doing.
L

letget on November 21, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Nothing but a bunch of cheap whores bought with cheap whiskey.

snowman423 on November 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM

She’ll vote for the bill. The democrats fear something more than their constituents wrath.

darwin on November 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM

BS, Blanche.

PattyJ on November 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I know this vote isn’t the final vote, but do any of you truly believe the “amendments” they will tack on won’t placate our wavering Blanche and the other lap-dogs to say “well now I can vote for it because my disagreements with the bill have been corrected.”Of course they won’t be but they will hide behind these “changes.”

sandee on November 21, 2009 at 7:15 PM

She’s done.

roux on November 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM

YOU LIE!

SuperCool on November 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Now we see how important it was for the clown franken to steal the election from Coleman

lukespapa on November 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM

lukespapa on November 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM

And there’s the rub. The GOP should have challenged that as far as they could go, but they always have to turn the other cheek, play the gentleman politician, apologize, etc. I’m sick of it. When your political opposition is on a course to destroy the nation you serve, play hardball or get the hell off the field.

Rational Thought on November 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

It will be interesting to see Blanche and all the other politicians run for re-election next summer…parades, townhall meetings, etc. to meet the public after the vote health care. Pitchforks, tar and feathers may be the accessories of the day!!!!

yoda on November 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM

the vote on health care
yoda on November 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM

yoda on November 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I am getting sick of my Liberty at stake every election.

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM

It really is exhausting.

I read on teh twitter that Dodd said health care coverage is more important than liberty … and life. Made me laugh! What a freakin’ clown! Who are these intellectual midgets anyhow?

This CONgress is such an embarrassment!

Rae on November 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Lincoln warns Reid: Drop the public option or next time I’ll filibuster

Riiiiiiiiiight

NoFanofLibs on November 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

You Mrs Lincoln with this vote have just signed your political death warrant.

thmcbb on November 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I thought reconciliation is unconstitutional.
Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM

There is nothing in the Constitution about filibuster, cloture or reconciliation.

They are Senate rules only.

These rules could be changed and have in the past.
IIRC it used to take a 2/3 vote to end a filibuster.

agmartin on November 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Bitch, Senator Please. You know damn well you’re not a leader on this issue, regardless how you try to spin it to the rest of us.

You’re all marching lock step to the cliff. Good riddance, traitors.

JoePa for POTUS on November 21, 2009 at 8:26 PM

And the suicide of the Democratic Party draws closer. :D

One of the great rules of life …

“Never allow children to play with matches”.

Enjoy the fire boys!

HondaV65 on November 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM

let them pass it. bring it on.

we will turn everything back and much much more to prevent these disasters from ever being imposed on us again.

Go ahead. Upset people more. We will remember in 2010 and 2012, 2014 and later.

And when we get majority and roll things back, let’s also

>break up all unions under rico and anti-trust rules
>get some diversity opinions in the new york times and MSNBC
>voting only by those who pay taxes

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and my favorite:
>let people who pay tax determine where their tax dollars will go
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

mooseburger on November 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

If they put some phoney baloney “Trigger” in it, then she’ll be able to vote for it with a clear conscience.

I’m going to send Bayh a really nice retirement card. I suggest that everyone else do the same.

darwin-t on November 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM

let them pass it. bring it on.

mooseburger on November 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Yeah, let them vote for this f**king thing, then get rid of ALL of them. I’m with Beck, they’re all lying to us.

gina4 on November 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM

How come nobody has commented on that scarf thing she is wearing? I’d probably have a cocktail with her.

Rayhummel on November 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Gov. Palin doesn’t have to convince me. I will actively campaign against Lincoln, and I’ve voted for her twice before. She is deadtome at this point. Huckabee needs to take one for the team and run against her. These other clowns have no name recognition and even tho she is in big trouble here, I think it is going to take someone people know to beat her. Oh, and Cuda can come here and stump for her opponent — that would be cool. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on November 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM

My…what a “centrist”, what a “moderate”, what a “fiscal conservative”.

The good news is that she and other phony “blue dogs” are now exposed for the radical marxists that they are. You cannot vote for the state seizure of 16% of the total U.S. economy and still be considered “fiscally conservative” or “moderate”. She is a liar, thief, and a statist tyrant with no Constitutional authority to do what she has done.

When the time of reckoning comes, remember Blanche and her phony “blue dog” friends who foisted this liberty stealing steaming pile of excrement on us.

DeathB4Tyranny on November 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM

I am speaking as an arkansas resident.
I just want to apologize to the rest of country for this toothless troll of a backwoods twofaced dunmbf%ck that is and has always been Blanche Lincoln.
She is a liar, there will be some minor wording change in the bill and then she will vote for it…why because golly gee we have to do something, uh we just can’t do nothin.
She already knows before she made the remarks linked above.
She makes me physically ill just to listen to her.
I never voted for her but to think that the fate of this health care bill lies in this (subhuman frog like creatures) hand is depressing.

kangjie on November 22, 2009 at 2:26 AM

I am getting sick of my Liberty at stake every election.

Holger on November 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM

It really is exhausting.

Rae on November 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM

“Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
— Wendell Phillips.

scotash on November 22, 2009 at 3:03 AM

P.S. we can have the Supreme Court overturn this unconstitutional bill if necessary. Get a quick fast track challenge and poof, it’s gone.

Roberts, Alito, Scalia, Thomas, and even Kennedy undertand the Republic is at stake here. They won’t be intimidated.

scotash on November 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM

scotash on November 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM

My understanding is that can not happen until this is implemented. The only people who have standing to bring it to court is someone who can show how it harmed them.
Judge Naplatono said this on foxnews

kangjie on November 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Mary Landreiu is a traitor to my state and my Nation! May she go down in infamy, reviled as much as Benedict Arnold. She has sold us out for a bribe for N O. Time for statewide recall. I am ashamed she is from my state.

LSUMama on November 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM

LSUMama on November 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM

LSUMama on November 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM

We Nebraskans feel the same about Ben Nelson…betrayed! He is always a fence rider but he will be voted out in 2012.

yoda on November 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM

All theatrics. Reconciliation will occur. Turn the lights out on America.

davecatbone on November 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Lincoln is VERY AFRAID of Cuda Attack.

Be afraid Lincoln! Be afraid!

TheAlamos on November 22, 2009 at 7:24 AM

yoda on November 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Too late, yoda. In 2012, WE ARE ALREADY SOCIALISTS ANYWAY.

It’s time for CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.

TEA PARTY PEOPLE, ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheAlamos on November 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Is that a guy or a woman? She looks like one of the Monty Python guys in drag. Since slavery to the socialist state is our ultimate fate I’m all for secededing from the Union here in Texas. Some c**t in California is deciding my 10 year old’s future and some DWE (d**k with ears) from Nevada is going to ruin my beloved country. Texas can stand alone. It might rough going for a few years but we can make it. Heck, you cats in the upper 49 states don’t impress me at all. Look at the scum you elect as senators.

bigtexmex on November 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Ironic that Dingy Harry would invoke slavery in his victory speech. That’s what this vote is all about: enslaving ordinary Americans under the thumb of a hugely expanded Federal government.

WarEagle01 on November 22, 2009 at 8:36 AM

It’s time for CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.
TEA PARTY PEOPLE, ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheAlamos on November 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Really? Do you think Washington will pay any more attemtion to civil disobedience than they have paid to us thus far? They do not fear us because we are nothing but talk and they know well how cheap a commodity that is.

SKYFOX on November 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM

SKYFOX on November 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM

“They” will fear us soon enough…

Khun Joe on November 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM

bigtexmex on November 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM

If it gets that far, Texas (and whatever other states join it) could become one of, if not the, most prosperous, free and powerful nations on earth.

I hope that, for now, Texas and others will fight the fight against tyranny within the bounds of the Constitution and state’s rights. But if all else fails, secession.

Better start building a wall around it now, because the very libs and Dems that will have turned the United States into a third world shithole, will be the first ones clamoring to get in, whereupon they will begin anew to turn it into their new leftist Utopia.

justltl on November 22, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Picture this:

As the copters are airlifting conservatives out of a burning, chaotic former United States territory to fly to the new Republic of Texas, the Obamas squeeze through the crowd and attempt to board the escape chopper. A pause of recogniton and then the chopper door is slammed in their faces.

Meanwhile, on another chopper, Pelosi, cleverly disguised Groucho Marx get up , is recognized and thrown out of the chopper at altitude.

Reid is slips over the wall from a border state, breathes a sigh of relief- right before the guard dogs descend upon him.

justltl on November 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Is that scarf around her neck symbolic?

Wade on November 22, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Mary Landreiu is a traitor to my state and my Nation!

Time to check her freezer.

Wade on November 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Look, I don’t want to state the obvious here. I believe that Texas has the right to leave at any time. I know the Civil War was suppose to settle that but I think times are different. We can certainly fend off Mexico especially since Barry seems to have no interest in self defense anyway. Slavery was one of the reasons that the first civil war was fought and slavery to the FEDS will be the main reason that the second one will happen. I don’t want any politician from California and the northeast to govern over me. They have mangaged to screw up everything over there. Stay away from Texas. Just leave us TFA.

bigtexmex on November 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Shouldn’t the tea party movement or someone set up a boycott of New Orleans and the entire state of Louisiana? If rogue politicians can give out $300 million dollar bribes there must be some way for the People to make them pay for their crime.

miles on November 22, 2009 at 11:01 AM

we know how this nefarious democrap Congress works. The Senate will agree to anything to get the bill passed with 60 votes. The lib democraps will hold their noses and vote knowing that the bill will then go to conference committee where all the ‘objectionable’ amendments and language that conflicts with the House bill will go down the memory hole. Since a conference report/bill needs only fifty votes and can’t be filibustered, the half dozen democraps who voted to bring the bill to debate and ‘insert’ their ‘amendments’ can now go home after the bill passes and state, well we voted for debate and we altered the bill, and I voted against the realtered bill from conference, but unfortunately there were just too many votes for it and it couldn’t be filibustered. I represented your views but we must respect the will of the majority of Congress.
And hopefully that will be the last speech such creatures will make as democrap members of Congress.

eaglewingz08 on November 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I did my best with Blanche Lincoln. Calls, letters, etc. My profound apologies to Texas and the rest of y’all.

Her likely Republican opponent, Gilbert Baker, is a dimwit RINO airhead who has no principles whatsoever. He has the most liberal voting record of any Republican in the Arkansas Senate. Not much of a choice. What will it take to qualify as a citizen of the Republic of Texas?

Venusian Visitor on November 22, 2009 at 2:00 PM

What a bunch of scumbags! Do I still have a constitutional right to say that?

MCGIRV on November 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

The warning is just Senatese for “make the bribe bigger.”

Rightyismighty on November 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

They’ll get a hold of her like that whore from louisiana who sold out the American people

rjoco1 on November 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM