Video: Thanksgiving PSA of the day

posted at 4:10 pm on November 20, 2009 by Allahpundit

I had hoped that, like the noble White House turkey, we too would be given a reprieve this Thanksgiving. Alas, there’s no escaping the Hopenchange, my friends. I’m surprised the NFL didn’t offer to let him guest-referee one of the games, frankly. That would have kept him on TV for three full hours and cast him in the sort of “above the fray” role he seems to enjoy so much in international relations.

Not shown: An illegal horse-collar tackle made by Glenn Beck after the whistle.

Update: From lorien1973 in the comments: “It’s a metaphor right? Brees is … throwing the ball (a paycheck, a job, whatever) to the kid running in the background. Instead Obama intercepts it and gives it to another kid who didn’t even try to catch the ball.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The NFL is dead to me.

bbz123 on November 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Hahaha…I share in your response.

Lourdes on November 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Kids playing football, Obama blurts in, steals the ball, NFL tosser goes “yay,” audience falls silent, “you mean, it’s NOT about the children?”

No, audience, it’s NOT about the children. It’s about Obama.

Lourdes on November 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Knowing Obama’s understanding of protocol, How do you think Obama will have the White House Turkey prepared?

- The Cat

MirCat on November 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Through mutual friends in New Orleans, I know for a fact that Brees is a diehard conservative. He was definitely holding his nose and doing what he had to do for the kids and also probably because the NFL made him.

Even better. Drew Brees is a Fredhead.

Y-not on November 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Wow. This has to be the cheesiest thing ever. Even for a PSA this is pretty bad. The slow motion, the crescendoing music, Obama’s mom jeans. They don’t think the kids will see right through this?

laurakbarr on November 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM

It was a very badly written and produced PSA, and Obama is horribly over-exposed in general, but I admire the NFL’s objective to help kids across the country.

I liked the NFL’s work on this under Bush, I’ll like the NFL’s ongoing work on this under Obama, and I’ll like their future work on this under whoever trounces Obama in 2012.

That being said, if they wanted to harness Obama’s “star power” they could have had him do a simple voice-over. No need for him to physically appear in an ad about an initiative that’s focused around KIDS and NFL PLAYERS!

Narcissism at its finest.

Canucker on November 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I went from neutral on the Saints to rooting against them when 3 years after Katrina every nationaly televised game they played was so special because they were able to carry on after Katrina.

cobrakai99 on November 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM

3 years after Katrina would be last season. They weren’t on that many nationally televised games.

Some of you need to get educated in the history of the New Orleans team-it’s heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time, going all the way back to their first game in 1967. Anyone who knows what they have been through over the decades should be cheering them on.

In the early years, their quarterback was great (he has 2 sons playing QB in the NFL right now, named Peyton and Eli) but never had a great team around him.

It took them 21 years to get to their first playoff game. And despite having the 3rd-best overall W-L record in the NFL over a 10 year period in the late 1980s and early 1990s, they never won a playoff game. A big factor in this was that the deck was stacked against them by their being placed (stupidly) in the NFC West, where they were regularly beaten by the 49ers.

And don’t forget, some of the buzz over the Saints after Katrina wasn’t because of the hurricane, but because they put together an incredible season that took them all the way to the NFL Championship game. Sadly they had to play in winter weather in Chicago, and Dat was Dat.

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM

NFLRUSH? They tried keeping Rush from the Rams so instead he just bought the whole freakin NFL! Way to go Rush! That’s pretty freakin cool.

JellyToast on November 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Thread winner:

“Everyone, trust me. LeBron James Barack Obama could not play in the NFL. ESPN is crazy to even think he could make a practice squad.”

~Shockey

Christien on November 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Looks racist to me

bluegrass on November 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I just barfed in my mouth

Mo2Do on November 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Real football is played on Friday night & Saturday afternoon. Certainly not on the WH lawn. The Sunday version is an opiate. “Mmmmm…opiate.” ~ Homer Simpson

BHO Jonestown on November 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Some telltale stuff from DB interview:

Drew: The fact that they’re talking about taking [the Guantanamo terrorists] overseas to other countries, where the US would have to pay those countries to house them, I think the money it would cost do all that . . . Guantanamo Bay is one of those bases that it’s been down there for over a hundred years. Keep in mind that Cuba is a communist country it’s probably good that we have a base there just to keep and eye on them. It’s a pretty strategic base in regards to getting to the Atlantic. So for a lot of reasons we should keep that base and all the troops there are doing a great job.

F***, I LOVE this guy.

Drew Brees is a Fredhead.

Really? It just gets better and better.

DrZin on November 20, 2009 at 8:09 PM

What a jackass!!! The one chance some kid gets to catch a pass from an NFL QB and Barry has to jump in and intercept it.

Fed45 on November 20, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Word is Barry’s already slated to win NFL League MVP

Fed45 on November 20, 2009 at 8:40 PM

The NFL has been encouraging kids to be active for years. Those Play60 commercials play during every NFL game on Sunday. Getting Barry involved was completely unnecessary. Barry’s narcissim knows no bounds

And good God!, I didn’t think it was possible but he throws a football worse than he does a baseball. Even worse than John Kerry!

Apparently no one on Barry’s team vetted Brees….seems to not agree with Barry on Gitmo.

Fed45 on November 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Hey look on the bright side-
at least he spent a little more time with somebody from New Orleans.

jjshaka on November 20, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Where are the white kids at? Why does Obma hate white kids?

Alden Pyle on November 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I bet this ad took all day to shoot while Obama should have been, I don’t know, fixing stuff.

This is as bad as his ad for the George Lopez show.

Rbastid on November 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Most professional athletes trend conservative. As with our military men and women. Because these professions require personal responsibility and sacrifice.

John the Libertarian on November 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM

It’s a metaphor right?

Brees is the throwing the ball (a paycheck, a job, whatever) to the kid running in the background. Instead Obama intercepts it and gives it to another kid who didn’t even try to catch the ball.

lorien1973 on November 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Caiwyn on November 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I question the editing. First of all, right after ObaMao catches the ball, you know some hair god safety just takes out those bird legs. After further review, receiver never had possession. And they’re still looking for some of his parts.

And then the tip ball to the Obama youth- no defender makes contact in between- denied!

This toad better stick to roundball- he can’t run the country or play football.

2ipa on November 21, 2009 at 12:11 AM

They want me to volenteer…

But if I do the SEIU will beat may @ss.

Especially since I am a Cub Scout Leader.

What am I to do???

mechkiller_k on November 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Somebody edit this video and put Sarah Palin coming across the middle to clothesline Barry right as he touches the ball. A good old slobber-knocker delivered by the free safety! I might even pay to see that.

Proud Texan on November 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM

If Obama spent less time making commercials and campaigning and more time upholding and defending the constitution…

mizflame98 on November 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Maybe Goodall is trying to invest some political capital just in case the media and congress ever care about the crazy amount of steroids in football.

LevStrauss on November 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Great story! I was born a Skins fan (still am despite Dan $nyder :P) but became a Saints fan when I moved to NOLA in ’98. My first NFL game was a Saints game, because tickets were very very easy to get. Also I had NEVER heard of NFL blackouts due to ticket sales (happened a lot down there before they started winning) since the Skins were always on TV.

Long story short (too late!): Go Skins and GEAUX SAINTS! Wish Brees played in DC, what a classy and talented guy!!!

bryan2369 on November 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM