Sources: Giuliani won’t run for New York governor — but will run for Senate

posted at 6:38 pm on November 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Giuliani’s camp says it’s all nonsense but there sure do seem to be a lot of rumors flying around lately. Especially now that the KSM trial’s given him a chance to get back on TV and work his 9/11 mojo.

Head to head with Gillibrand, he leads — by 14 points. Dude, I think this is happening.

A source familiar with Giuliani’s thinking said the failed presidential candidate has been telling people he plans to run against Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in 2010 to fill out the remaining two years of Hillary Clinton’s term.

If elected, the source said, he could use that as a stepping stone to run for President in 2012 – rather than run for re-election to the Senate.

Um, no he couldn’t. A RINO like Rudy stands even less of a chance in the primaries now, after McCain’s flameout and the tea-party backlash to less-than-true conservatives, than he did last year. But as a senator? Hmmmm:

54% of registered voters statewide would vote for Giuliani compared with 40% who would support Gillibrand. Even one-third of Democrats report they would back the Republican challenger, and Giuliani runs competitively against Gillibrand in overwhelmingly Democratic New York City.

Gaining the nomination for U.S. Senate does not appear to pose a problem either. By nearly a three to one margin, Giuliani would be the Republicans’ pick when matched up against former New York State Governor George Pataki. If the Republican primary were held today, he would receive 71% of the vote to Pataki’s 24%.

This is actually the perfect follow-up post to Instapunk’s brass-knuckle treatment of a certain Chamberlain-esque RINO candy-ass who shall remain nameless. The springboard for that whole dust-up was CNN’s poll finding that 51 percent of Republicans would rather nominate someone who agrees with them on all major issues — even if he stands a poor chance of winning the general election — than a candidate they don’t always agree with but who can beat the local Democrat. That’s Giuliani to a T. I’m going to poll this one. Generic “true conservative” whom Gillibrand is all but certain to beat or the dastardly squish known as America’s Mayor?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

For all the Vichy GOPers like Frum, Rudy is the type of socially mushy republican that is fine in a deep blue state.
Unlike toads like Frum , Rudy won’t sell out his party 24/7 just to look good to the media.
He also fits the one thing all republicans must possess at this point- pro-growth, pro-business, pro-America.
The social stuff doesn’t matter if the country is being wrecked economically.

jjshaka on November 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM

oh Rudy is gonna wipe the floor with Gilibrand!

the conservatives in NY are pretty pixxed at how quickly she rolled to the left on every issue

I want HRC for Governor but I know I cant have it, HRC is not a quitter damn it, she didnt leave Big Dawg and she wont leave SoS unless Obama does something even more stoopid than usual..so I think I wil have to wait for 2012 for HRC to be free for another office

She truly loved being Senator of NY and she did a great job and brought a lot of jobs upstate in a time of very slow job growth

it looks like Andy Cuomo will sweep the NY Gubernatorial race

Rick Lazio is trying to challenge him HA AS IF!!

The best thing would be if HRC kicked Lazios axx again for GOV, ahh man if only.

oh well. Cuomo is a good guy

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Marist Poll..

2010 Senate: General Election
54% Giuliani, 40% Gillibrand (chart)

SouthernGent on November 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

If you were in Rudy’s position and potentially could win as either a US Senator or Governor of NY (where the Gov. has some real power and influence), which would you choose?

Despite all the problems, I think most ambitious politicians would choose the Governorship
highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I’d like him to choose the Governorship! The problem is, he’s polling approximately 20 points or so lower than Andrew. I’m not convinced he’ll choose the more dicey race over a nearly sure bet.

I know, my brother is one of them and he’s all for Obamacare (which means that Thanksgiving will be all about meaningless small talk for yet another year).

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I feel for you, highhopes. My family is loaded with liberals. The difference is that they have no compunctions whatsoever about ambushing me and sniping my conservative views. I can only hope for small talk.

anXdem on November 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

AND the decision on KSM will help Rudy SWEEP seriously SWEEP that race, and wouldnt it be GREAT if SCHUMER had to deal with RUDY every frakkin day

Muuuhuuuuuhaaaaa!!!

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I called my mom she is all excited to vote for Rudy, she hates HRC, lol a true GOP is my mom , she loves Rudy too

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 7:58 PM

highhopes

Senator is actually considered a higher position. But I think gOvernor is probably harder IMO because you have actual responsibility for all the aspects of governance in the entire state, like a mini POTUS.

But Rudy said no to Gov according to the NY Post today, he doesnt want to run against Andy Cuomo and he CAN kick gilibrands but!

everyone I know in NY is pixxed at Gillibrand for moving left (all my friends and family are GOP)

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM

jjshaka

exactly@ FISCAL CONSERVATISM is the route to victory in 10/12!!

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Rudy is just the guy to get the Justice Dept. back off hunting the CIA interrogators and back onto hunting terrorists that he will have tried by military tribunal rather than give them a forum to recruit terrorists and a means to force the revealing of our nations sources of information at public civilian trial. Rudy is the guy to cut back on spending and on taxes. Rudy is the guy to tell self-centered public union bosses who don’t care a fig about the well being of society as a whole where to get off as in “you can put your campaign donations meant to buy special favors where the sun will never shine.” He is also the guy to help protect this country by supporting our security forces not cutting funding for them and Rudy will put mobster types in jail rather than the whitehouse. IF THAT BE A RINO BRING ME AN ARMY OF THEM.

(And by the way, Rudy would not have sat in Rev. Wright’s church and never noticed a problem.)

KW64 on November 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Yeah, I’m not seeing Rudy as a sellout RINO. Unless I missed something isn’t he fiscally conservative? And not only is he tough on crime but realizes the War on Terror isn’t a criminal matter but a military one. I’m not an expert on the man but I’m fairly certain he isn’t going to betray those core principles like a Snowe or Specter. I’d want to know a lot more about his record before I vote for the man but I don’t see him as a Republican in Name Only.

chicagojedi on November 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

But isn’t the Senate the easier mark to win, and then hold?

stldave on November 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM

US Senator is the easier job, by far. The system is set up to protect you, you don’t have to run but every six years, and there is no such thing as “leadership” when all the work is done by committee. You still have to win a state-wide election but you don’t have to present ideas on the issues beyond vowing to go to DC and do your part to break the gridlock. Hillary Clinton was well suited to be a Senator and actually was doing a decent job until she made the (stupid IMO) decison to become SECSTATE. That was the last of Hillary’s political career. She’s practically eligible for milk carton status as part of this administration.

The only pitfall for Senators is forgetting the folks back home. States sometimes have a habit of changing without the Senator realizing it as they become accustomed to the life of a US Senator. Al Gore was unelectable in TN when he signed on to become VP. The same is true of John Edwards when he decided he really wanted to be VP too. Harry Reid is the latest one to have forgotten that he has constituents and he will be the second Dem Senate Majority to be voted out of office.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Oh and about Rudy not running for Governor – GOOD. If New York voters want to screw themselves by voting for another lib then go ahead and screw yourselves. Giuliani in the Senate actually has an effect on those who live outside his state and this is the man I want from NY.

Daemonocracy on November 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Rudy would be challenging Gillibrand, who ended up not being such a Blue Dog. Given that he will have more of the downstate vote than most Republicans and that he is thought of fairly highly throughout the state, he probably is the Republican’s best shot at winning NY.

MeatHeadinCA on November 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM

This is exceptional news for Republicans and Conservatives, especially in my home state.

It’s a smart move if he still plans to run for president, as it can help with three of his weaknesses: a lack of foreign policy experience, a lack of executive experience and the years he’s been out of office. Plus, the seat’s up for election again anyway in 2012, so there won’t be many claims that he’s abandoning his seat.

I think this website underestimates his chances in ’12, though.

Last year, the “moderate” Republicans split the vote between him and McCain, and McCain still won. Presumably, there will be no McCain in ’12.

Even if the CNN poll is accurate, there are two things to keep in mind: many Republicans are closer to Giuliani than Thune when it comes to their political beliefs, and there will be more than two candidates in the primary.

With Pawlenty, Romney, Palin, Gingrich, Thune and Huckabee probably running, there is an opening for a Giuliani, to get those winner takes all primaries with 25% of the vote.

Mister Mets on November 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Cuomo is a good guy

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Be serious, ginaswo. Andrew is NOT a good guy. My family has known Andrew and his father for years. Are you at all aware of his destructive act at HUD?

anXdem on November 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM

If I lived in NY I’d vote for Rudy. Wouldn’t vote for him for President, but he’d be fine as a Senator. Can’t imagine him voting for Porkulus, Cap & Tax, Ominbus, Obamacare. Can’t imagine him buddy buddying with Reid pulling some midnight compromise to spring toxic bills on the American people. And maybe he could clean up Congress like he did NYC.

Christian Conservative on November 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM

anXdem on November 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM

The Cuomos are a blight on NY politics. The only thing worse than a Cuomo is a Kennedy.

MeatHeadinCA on November 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

I’m pretty tired of this stupid RINO business with Giuliani. There are things I disagree with him about, BUT HIS ACTIONS AS MAYOR OF NEW YORK WERE CONSERVATIVE.

Why can’t you all seem to get that?

Lowering taxes, abortion rates, getting people off welfare, almost killing crime, etc., etc., etc.

Mommynator on November 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I’m thinking a lot about chance of success (getting elected) with my earlier comment. To use a lame football analogy, going up against Gillibrand is like running up the middle on a 3rd and 1. Cuomo in the governor race feels like you just got a holding penalty and its now 3rd and 11.

Additionally, we’re defending a lot of our seats in the senate next year. 2004 was a decent year. To have a great chance to gain one shouldn’t be taken lightly. Getting to 41,42,43….is huge. He’s not going to move the agenda on social issues, but he’s insurance against the Maine girls on fiscal issues.

stldave on November 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM

ginaswo on November 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Please see my comments at 8:04

Beyond that, I’m not sure I agree that Senator is a “higher” position. It is about the highest political position you can get in national government other than POTUS or Speaker of the House. But Senators are not leaders. I’m willing to take the position that Governors are the higher position because they are at the leader of the state instead of chairman (or ranking member) of a committee.

It is true that not all Governors have the same influence since the states have different divisions of power and even different laws concerning term limits (VA’s one term is my favorite on this point). NY’s Gov is pretty influential but does Rudy really want to take on the mess left by Spitzer and Patterson? He’d be a strong voice against terrorism in the Senate or in Albany and I’m just happy that there is the chance that he might be returning to public office.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Amen, MeatheadinCA.

anXdem on November 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Why can’t you all seem to get that?

Mommynator on November 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Well Bloomberg is a conservative too. The skepticism is justified.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Mommynator on November 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

The thing that “centrists” and “pragmatists” don’t get is that Rudy is about as far right as one can go in NYS. He actually has a pretty good shot of winning and reforming the state – and hopefully turning it a tad more right; however, when St John of McCain ran on the national level, one could argue that he was about as left of center for a Republican as the (national) party base could tolerate. There were solid Donk states that he wouldn’t have won anyway, because BHO had that wrapped up, yet the “squishes” insist on national party unity when it comes to national elections, but are *shocked* when conservatives are willing to compromise on the state level…

MeatHeadinCA on November 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Well Bloomberg is a conservative too. The skepticism is justified.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Where did you get that from?

MeatHeadinCA on November 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Well Bloomberg is a conservative too. The skepticism is justified.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Isn’t Bloomy an Independent?

anXdem on November 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Go Rudy! We need Senate seats more than another governorship.

LASue on November 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM

The thing is… I really like Rudy anyway.

I just wish he had a different 08 platform than, “9……11″

Lehosh on November 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Bloomberg was a Democrat. Couldn’t get the Dem nomination for Mayor so he went Republican in the election following Rudy, Nov. 2001. Then things weren’t going so well as a Republican so he decided to be an Independent. He’s been all of them. Now there’s the definition of a squish!
I love Rudy. He did so much for NYC. He got that place straightened out fast. He’s a “can do” kind of guy and he doesn’t put up with any nonsense. It’s a toss up where he would do the most good, but I would love to see him in the AG position in Sarah Palin’s administration.

BetseyRoss on November 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Conservatives have to learn that we don’t have to agree 100% with a candidate to support him…99% maybe…I’m pro-life but supported Rudy for president for the short time he was in…and still think he would do a great job…we are definitely right of the republican party these days and just have to make sure we don’t fall into the rino trap…liberals have it easy…no morals and stand for nothing…and most importantly proud of it…

DCJeff on November 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

…and since when did a CNN poll mean anything?!!!

DCJeff on November 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Rudy’s no RINO.

IU_Conservative on November 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I would have happily voted for Rudy for pres. I’d happily vote for him for Gov, Sen., or head dog catcher.

I can’t help but think that if he was still mayor of NYC that we’d have started building on ground zero by now.

DrAllecon on November 19, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I wonder if, as senator, Giuliani will sponsor legislation to run gun companies out of business?

jaime on November 19, 2009 at 8:47 PM

As a New Yorker I will happily support Rudy, he ain’t no Rino, trust me. I remember his first run for Mayor against Dinkins and then I watched the city collapse until he came in.

rob verdi on November 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM

The GOP tent is big enough for Rudy. This is not Snowe or Collins we’re talking about here. He’s liberal on social issues, but as long as he’s not pushing federally funded abortions or activist judges, I don’t mind that.

Doughboy on November 19, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I don’t actually know that much about Rudy, what makes him a candy ass RINO?

bitsy on November 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I voted for Rudy in the primary last year. If he’s a RINO, I guess that makes “Compassionate Conservative” Bush a Democrat…

oddball on November 19, 2009 at 8:56 PM

hahaha – RINO candy ass. Go, AllahP, Go!

ramrants on November 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM

oh Rudy is gonna wipe the floor with Gilibrand!

it looks like Andy Cuomo will sweep the NY Gubernatorial race

Rick Lazio is trying to challenge him HA AS IF!!

oh well. Cuomo is a good guy

ginaswo

I have to ask…what point are you trying to make, besides writing one of the most incomprehensible and nonsensical posts I have seen in a long time.

Go back to the basement because you have achieved…

*EPIC FAILURE*

Gothguy on November 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM

The only thing worse than a Cuomo is a Kennedy.

I think you forgot that other family with the NY pedigree, MeatheadinCA.

Roosevelt.

bluestatered on November 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Help me: Palin, whose tax policies are ruinous for Alaska, is Allahpundit’s conservative, but a real fiscal conservative is a RINO because he isn’t taking the Church’s line on abortion. I thought Rudy had guts taking on the “gotta be anti-abortion” litmus in the GOP since the 1980s.

AshleyTKing on November 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Rudy is not a RINO.

Priscilla on November 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Rudy is NO RINO. He is fiscally conservative, a strong conservative on both national defense and law and order, and he is conservative on the judiciary, which is the only place liberals have been able to pass their social agenda.

American Elephant on November 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

American Elephant on November 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Rudy was/is hardly against illegal immigration. NYC is a sanctuary city.

diogenes on November 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Allah you are unbelievably dumb. Rudy a candy ass? Go ask the mafia if he is a candy ass – wait they are all in jail.

Hilts on November 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I LIKE Rudy, even though I can’t vote for him. Gawd, y’all, we gotta start somewhere!!

thebookkeeper on November 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Allah, Instapundit was right about you! Rudy isn’t a Rino!

Rudy is a fiscal conservative, strong on crime, against card check, against the stimulus 1 and 2 (Obama’s next), strong on the war, strong on intelligence / foreign affairs etc… we could go on and on and on! Yes he is pro-abortion…he is not a Rino

I couldn’t find one issue where Scozzafava was on the right side of the issue…on Newt’s well she would vote against Pelosi for speaker! Come on!! He’s no Spector either!!!

aigle on November 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Uhhh I think Allah was being sarcastic.

ac1 on November 19, 2009 at 10:58 PM

0h great, ANOTHER RINO running in NY

nelsonknows on November 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I don’t actually know that much about Rudy, what makes him a candy ass RINO?

bitsy on November 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Violating the 2nd Amendment as mayor and filing suits against gun manufacturers but Rudy BELOW RINO status. Rudy is a DIABLO (Democrat In All But Label Only)

nelsonknows on November 19, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Rudy is the 1 RINO I can support. The rest, dead on arrival.

Coronagold on November 19, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Pro-Choice, Pro Illegal Alien Amnesty, anti 2nd Amendment, Support Affirmative Action, LIED about crime being at record high when he took office, supports NAFTA.
This makes Rudy to the left of Joe Lieberman.

nelsonknows on November 19, 2009 at 11:47 PM

And based on the thoughts we see here the Right will never take back Congress or the Senate.

In places like NY we need to take what we can get, Rudy can win in NY, a true Conservative can win in a primary but will be killed by New York City’s vote, thus screwing us.

I think Rudy is a good man, and as he always said, follows what the law says even if he feels differently, i.e. line item vetos.

In the Pres Election I believe a real strong conservative can win, but in NY, NJ and Cali people are going to have to suck it up and realize we’re not going to win state wide elections if we have Goldwater running.

Rbastid on November 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM

If Rudy runs as a fiscon and pro-business candidate, with secure borders and pro-defense, I can live with him being more liberal on social issues.

Let Sarah pick another interpretationist for the SCOTUS and overturn Roe vs. Wade. Then NY can do what it wants while we pro-lifers save babies and moms in the other states first.

Sapwolf on November 20, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Rudy is a RINO, and a power-hungry freak, and a Nazi . . . but then again, it *IS* New York. He’s probably the best that could be hoped for out of Sodom and Gaomorrah.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 3:13 AM

OK after commenting, I read the comments of others. Rudy had some rightest tendencies (hard on crime), some leftist (seize my guns, BAN MY FERRETS). Also sucking up to illegals. Rudy would need some strong “vetting” i.e. getting him on record unequivocally. Bascially you can reconcile his two sides by saying that he will always go after POWER. That’s what the man lives for. And that worries me from a federalist, state’s rights perspective (having him in a position of federal authority).

P.S. If it wasn’t clear HANDS OFF MY FERRETS GUILIANI FU.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Now I’m worked up over the ferret issue — and you should be too.

A ferret is somebodys PET, alright? Maybe it’s not YOUR pet — but it’s a pet. Like a dog. Or a cat.

People love their pets. Attacking people for loving their pets is like attacking God, Mom, and Apple Pie.

Consider that. Maybe you don’t know or don’t like ferrets, but it’s a real flaw with this joker. I honestly believe Rudy does not have much, if any, heart. I’m serious.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Rudy’s ferret meltdown. Totally inappropriate for a public figure. If some guy talked to me like this in a bar, I’d pop him in the nose.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 3:34 AM

So, in summary:

Senator of New York? Sure, why not. Probably beats the competition. I might even chuck him a few bucks.

President of the United States? Over my dead body. Me and tons of loud, obnoxious rabble-rousing, ferret-loving weirdos would protest and humiliate this chump to the ends of the earth.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 3:42 AM

Finally, concluding my “Hate Rudy” rant, let’s dispense with one more thing: This “America’s Mayor” nonsense. That’s just some slick branding thing he came up with after 9/11. And we here in the Heartland let him have it, b/c the city and the nation needed healing. But he is NOT our mayor, and never was. He’s the consummate N.Y. A-hole. And mid-America loathes N.Y. A-holes. So.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM

I like Rudy.

SueM on November 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM

This makes Rudy to the left of Joe Lieberman.

nelsonknows on November 19, 2009 at 11:47 PM

- He is personally pro-choice but takes a Federalist approach to it. Let the States decide. He is also against Partial birth abortion.

- I don’t recall him ever supporting Amnesty. NY is a Santcuary city, which bothers me, but he used the sanctuary status as a means toe ncourage illegals to report crimes they witnessed.

- He is bad on guns but most cop unions tend to be tough on guns in inner cities and he sided with them. Noble but flawed thinking.

- Crime was atrocious when he entered office and he cleaned that city up. That can not be taken away from him.

- NAFTA is free trade. Most conservatives are for free trade as long it is fair. Free Trade is good for us, protectionism is bad.

He is shakey on abortion and weak on guns but I trust the guy to show restraint when it comes to the federal level.

Daemonocracy on November 20, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Rudy would make an awesome Senator. He is a fiscal conservative and has impeccable creds as Mayor to prove it.

Unlike McCain, he would allow us to drill in ANWR and let us tap other energy resources, would not push cap & trade, would not support legislation like the disastrous McCain-Feingold.

Rudy is only a “RINO” in the sense that he is not a hardcore social con – although he would vote with conservatives on those issues – to the extent that they ever reach the Senate floor in the first place, which is never (except when judges are being approved).

Buy Danish on November 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Rudy will be a fiscal conservative, and that’s most important as our nation stares at the brink of financial disaster.

Rudy wants to kill Islamo-facists. Awesome!

No way a social-con wins in NY State. And that doesn’t even matter, because Rudy is a so called “strict constructionist” on judges. Maybe he’s weak on gay marriage, but his one vote isn’t going to make a difference on this issue.

Go Rudy! The best man for the job in NY State.

exdeadhead on November 20, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I voted for “true conservative” because I believe that Gulliani is a “true conservative”. Not pure, but conservative enough to protect the interests of America. He may differ in some social issues, but the man is conservative enough. Sarah Palin, being a supporter of Gulliani, can attest to that.

As far as I’m concerned, Gulliani is 100% LOYAL TO REPUBLICANISM AND MANY FEATURES OF MODERN DAY CONSERVATISM. Guilliani may be compassionate to the plight of women who went or are contemplating abortion … but he never used his power as NYC mayor to promote abortion. He still considers that “women opting for life of their unborn” as the ideal perspective that we should all support.

At least he tried to control the fiscal irresponsibility of NYers while seating as a Mayor. Considering NYC, that’s a great achievement already. That cannot be said for the DIABLO Schwarzenneger.

And Gulliani is the FACE of one of the CORNERSTONE Principles of Modern Day Conservatism: STRONG NATIONAL SECURITY AND AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM.

So … Gulliani deserves a special room in the Hall of the Conservatives, the Upper Room of the Big Tent Republican Party.

Thus, the poll question is biased against Gulliani.

TheAlamos on November 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Can’t say it much better than Danish. I was a Giuliani supporter, but he pulled out before the Texas primary. McCain is still way better than the POTUS we ended up with, but he wasn’t my first choice.

Adding my two cents worth, though (for Allah’s benefit) – we’re getting a little too careless with how the term RINO is applied. In my book (and Danish’s), it certainly doesn’t apply to Rudy. That said, if voters who are moderates on the social positions are indiscriminately labeled that way, there won’t be a lot of “true” R’s left. But if DIABLOs like Scozzafava are what the party is prepared to put forward as candidates, they should expect a lot of pushback.

HobbesDFW on November 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM

TheAlamos on November 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Agreed.

Count to 10 on November 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Rudy is no “RINO”. I put his fiscal conservatism and pro-business, pro-growth leaning against any righty that the GOP can offer up. Check his mayoral creds as far as the development of the city, how can you call the guy a candy-ass?!?! There has been no tougher opponent of organized crime and champion of the middle class than Guiliani in NYC, and, don’t forget, he inherited a city mired in crime and entitlement and decay. Get a clue, Allahpundit!

LibertyBoyNYC on November 20, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I don’t see Giuliani as a RINO. I see him as representing his district’s views. He said if president he would nominate strict constitutionalist judges and would not stand in the way of Roe v Wade being overturned and I for one believe him.

For this reason I won’t be taking your stupid little poll, AP.

MechEng5by5 on November 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Agreed.

Count to 10 on November 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM

You know who is really a RINO? It’s Allahpundit. [Just kidding AP.]

TheAlamos on November 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Wait, how is Rudy a RINO?Rudy is a fiscal conservative not some compassionate conservative pro-life democrat RINO.

jhffmn on November 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Oh wait! McCain has turned like Brutus on his friends Lieberman and Graham and is now opposed to cap n trade.

Buy Danish on November 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I don’t care how much of a tightwad the man is with the purse strings, nor how much he is owned by special business interests, a “true conservative” does not hug illegal aliens or grab your guns. RINO end of story.

voxpopuli on November 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Rudy is NOT a RINO. There is more to being a conservative than being anti-abortion. There’s also more to true leadership than pure party line voting. Rudy is a true leader.

GIULIANI/PALIN ’12!!!! (I can dream) ;)

athenanyc on November 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Agree with AthenaNYC I find most “Conservatives” squishy on law and order issues like drugs, dealing with gangs, drunk driving etc but because I’m OK with first term abortions being legal I’m called a RINO. Abortion is not the flagship issue of Rightism, freedom is. I don’t like Rudy’s gun grabbing so I didn’t want him as president, but as a senator I can get behind him because he can do a lot of good.

Rob Taylor on November 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Daemonocracy on November 20, 2009 at 6:34 AM

This is what is called in real life RATIONALIZATION, look it up.

nelsonknows on November 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

STUPID, STUPID PEOPLE!
Do you assholes even KNOW what the basis of Conservatism is?
THE U.S. CONSTITUTION and STRICT adherence thereof.
Rudy thinks the Constitution is just a piece of paper and you folks need to back AWAY from the crack pipe.

nelsonknows on November 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM