Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on November 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama couldn’t squeeze a visit to Berlin into his schedule to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, but he did carve out enough time to make a video for the celebrations.  The thrust of his video greeting to Berliners was that the fall of the Wall was a good thing — almost as good as Obama getting elected.  The Boston Globe’s Jeff Jacoby wasn’t terribly impressed:

PRESIDENT OBAMA was too busy to attend the celebrations in Germany this week marking the fall of the Berlin Wall 20 years ago. But he did appear by video, delivering a few brief and bloodless remarks about how the wall was “a painful barrier between family and friends” that symbolized “a system that denied people the freedoms that should be the right of every human being.” He referred to “tyranny,” but never identified the tyrants — he never uttered the words “Soviet Union” or “communism,” for example. He said nothing about the men and women who died trying to cross the wall. Nor did he mention Harry Truman or Ronald Reagan — or even Mikhail Gorbachev.

He did, however, talk about Barack Obama.

“Few would have foreseen,” declared the president, “that a united Germany would be led by a woman from [the former East German state of] Brandenburg or that their American ally would be led by a man of African descent. But human destiny is what human beings make of it.”

As presidential rhetoric goes, this was hardly a match for “Ich bin ein Berliner,” still less another “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.” But as a specimen of presidential narcissism, it is hard to beat. Obama couldn’t be troubled to visit Berlin to commemorate a momentous milestone in the history of human liberty. But he was glad to explain to those who were there why reflections on that milestone should inspire appreciation for the self-made “destiny” of his own rise to power.

Was there ever a president as deeply enamored of himself as Barack Obama?

Instead of “Ich bin ein Berliner,” the message to Germans was, “You are all Obama-ers now.”   Because, in the end, the fact that free nations faced down tyrants and despots over that wall and prevailed isn’t really what mattered.  It certainly didn’t matter enough to Obama to join the ceremonies despite the critical role of the nation Obama represents in the fall of that barrier, or even to mention who and what those tyrants were. All that mattered to Obama was how Obama could make it about … Obama.

Comments

It’s all about the O.

“Damn, don’t I look good saying this?”

rightside on November 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Being “THE ONE” is hard work.

tx2654 on November 19, 2009 at 8:10 AM

forget about that stupid old wall…what about me!

Am I not the greatest thing since sliced bread?

cmsinaz on November 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM

doriangrey on November 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM

And yet Dear Liar was able to tear His Self away from not deciding on a strategy for Afghanistan in order to go to Copenhagen to lobby for Chicago to get the Olympics.

rbj on November 19, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Ich habe gewonnen.

Bruce in NH on November 19, 2009 at 8:13 AM

You just can’t make this crap up.

Cylor on November 19, 2009 at 8:14 AM

For the first time in my adult life…I am embarrassed of our president.

becki51758 on November 19, 2009 at 8:15 AM

“Well, I did win the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing–I wouldn’t want to spoil my record…”

lovingmyUSA on November 19, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Well, in terms of spine to handle any sort of serious foreign policy challenge, I kind of think Obama is a jelly doughnut. Just make sure you spell the quote the right way.

jon1979 on November 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I’ve met people like Obama before. Never liked any of them.

DrStock on November 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM

And if you don’t like that you are racists.

Seriously, did the filthy lying coward and the the pig-in-a-pantsuit fire all the SECSTATE professionals? This administration’s record of foreign relations is dismal at best with the filthy lying coward embarrassing himself all over the world and Clinton flitting about with no real role in foreign affairs. Who is running these issues, Bo Obama?

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:18 AM

The celebration of the fall of communism is such a minor thing when we really should be celebrating an ushering in communism in a formerly free country.

myrenovations on November 19, 2009 at 8:18 AM

OBAMA the GREAT can’t be seen with those little people.

steviedfromnc on November 19, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I wonder what it feels like to honestly believe that the whole world revolves around you.

Barb Dwyer on November 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM

For the first time in my adult life…I am embarrassed of our president.

becki51758 on November 19, 2009 at 8:15 AM

It’s #2 for me. Carter was also an embarrassment but he was a well-meaning moron. The filthy lying coward is pure evil.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Was there ever a president as deeply enamored of himself as Barack Obama?

Breaking news: Webster’s Dictionary has removed the definition of narcissism from page 445 and replaced it with a photo of Barack Hussein Obama.

Yoop on November 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM

It’s not PC to talk about history, guys.

Joe Caps on November 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Jacoby on Fox News yesterday: “It’s like the Great Wall of China met the Great Ego of America.”

amerpundit on November 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I’m almost beginning to feel sorry for Michelle. Living with that ego has to be exasperating. But then again, she probably enjoys smacking it down.

sherry on November 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Barb Dwyer on November 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM

I wonder what the filthy lying coward is going to do once out of office and without all the perqs of being President.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

You know that this vindictive little man was getting back at the Germans for not letting him speak before the Brandenburg Gate during the campaign. He really thinks we can’t see through his pettiness.

There is a lesson for moderate Dems worried about their reelections. If you want to make sure that Obama is nowhere near your district to campaign for you, insult his vanity. Then he’ll give you the galactic distance you require for reelection.

You could also switch parties….

EMD on November 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

So,let me see if I’ve got this right,Obama’s Apology American Tour stops in Germany for one of his ‘Articulate
Speech’s',

but,

as the Leader of the Free World who is currently AWOL,
he couldn’t make the time to go to Berlin Celebrations
of tearing down the wall,which is also a celebration of
FREEDOM!!

So I guess FREEDOM isn’t to high on a Liberals priority
list,or political platform!!(Sarc).

canopfor on November 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

The White House budget for mirrors has been upgraded significantly, giving Ogabe ample opportunity to catch his reflection, point at himself as if with a gun and say “Lookin’ good…lookin’ goooooood.”

Bishop on November 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

See the pattern:

Barack Hussein Obama, Sr.: Marxist economist
Frank Marshall Davis: president Hawaii CPUSA
Rev. Jeremiah Wright: Marxist liberation theologian
Bill Ayers: Small c communist

Why would he celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall? His side lost.

Ted Torgerson on November 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

sherry on November 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I think she has just as big an ego and is just as much a narcissist. She’s a rabid racist to boot. The only one I feel sorry for is Bo.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Am I not the greatest thing since sliced bread?

cmsinaz on November 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM

White or Rye?

Yoop on November 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I am so sick of this narcissistic loser and his pathetic obsession with himself. How are we going to get through three more years of this idiot?

AZCoyote on November 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

White or Rye?

Yoop on November 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

marbled

cmsinaz on November 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I would think at some point his head will explode.

faol on November 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM

The only one I feel sorry for is Bo.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

ditto…

cmsinaz on November 19, 2009 at 8:25 AM

It may be that he identifies much more with the world view of the people who built the wall rather than those who brought it down.

Aviator on November 19, 2009 at 8:25 AM

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Yah, the woman has something like 22 personal attendants to cater to her every need; I’m thinking the ego clash over morning latte about who is “greater” can be quite the scene.

Bishop on November 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Ego doesn’t begin to describe this man.
Shameless comes closer.

TimBuk3 on November 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM

AZCoyote on November 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Well, he has made it to Worst President Ever in less than one year.
I’m hoping that he’ll just rest on his laurels for the next three.

justltl on November 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Most likely he will wear a long white robe and declare that he’s the new Jesus Christ.

Barb Dwyer on November 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM

FREEDOM!!

So I guess FREEDOM isn’t to high on a Liberals priority
list,or political platform!!(Sarc).

canopfor on November 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

We need to do an analysis of Dear Liar’s speeches. How often does He mention liberty or freedom? Compare that statistic to the times other presidents did, heck, even compare The Whine to Clinton or Carter and I’ll bet He comes out way on the short end.

rbj on November 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Turns out B.O. has more half brothers than
Jonathan Quale Higgins (Magnum PI)

esblowfeld on November 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Ich bin ein Beginner.

I still chuckle when I think of that.

Kafir on November 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM

As the number one country that paid a high price,
liberate Europe,free Germany,well the Western part
of it,and the famous Berlin Airdrops,and the candy
bomber group,bombing gum for the kids!!

Me thinks the POTHUSA should of been there!!

canopfor on November 19, 2009 at 8:36 AM

He’ll write that memoir that he already has been paid an advance on and then write a few sequels to remind everyone how great he is.

Beaglemom on November 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM

We need to do an analysis of Dear Liar’s speeches.

rbj on November 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM

rbj:During the campaigning,there was LapelGate,where Obama
was caught many times not wearing the American Flag
pin!!

The American Flag pin,means Freedom!!:)

canopfor on November 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM

It’s all about the O, all the time everywhere… All of history point’s to the O… Every historical event is a sign pointing to the O… Sadly, the O is the O that makes it possible to spell the word… A$$h”O“le…

doriangrey on November 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Barry and his lemmings are all O-holes. Nuff said.

DeweyWins on November 19, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I hear that the WH has hired an engineer to redesign some of the private quarters. Yep, they need to widen the doors so BO can get his head through. (I bet you thought I was going to refer to MO’s widening arse).

jbh45 on November 19, 2009 at 8:50 AM

doriangrey on November 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM

doriangrey: I’ve got the perfect theme song!

Candy-O/The Cars

canopfor on November 19, 2009 at 8:51 AM

or even to mention who and what those tyrants were.

Ich bin ein Kommunistin

mr.blacksheep on November 19, 2009 at 8:52 AM

We’re all just a couple of steps away from the Won. He can make a connection to himself from anywhere or anyone. He should take this act to Vegas after 2012.

Kissmygrits on November 19, 2009 at 8:52 AM

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Me too. It would be fun to have a thread where we could imagine what he has to say about life in the O family.

anniekc on November 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Beaglemom on November 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Sequels? No, the filthy lying coward will put out annual updates. Along with a website and a Twitter account so you can get your Obama fix without too much difficulty.

BTW, The filthy lying coward must be seething that he isn’t on the cover of Newsweek right now. I do believe that this is the first Obama free week on the newstands.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:56 AM

My embarrassment over this dufus coming from my state is only exceeded by my anger over what he’s doing to this country.

donh525 on November 19, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Like Sarah said, Obowma is ‘back asswards.’

Brat on November 19, 2009 at 8:58 AM

anniekc on November 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Too many jokes, not enough time. Most of the jokes I can imagine would get me banned for life, twice.

mr.blacksheep on November 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Bishop on November 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Oh, but you’re wrong- they may not all be full time, but she has over 70 assistants. Apparently Mrs. Obama enjoys bossing people….

anniekc on November 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM

doriangrey on November 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Well, given that the mascot of Obama’s party is a donkey, “Ass O” seems an appropriate name for him.

Josiah on November 19, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Was there ever a president as deeply enamored of himself as Barack Obama?

lol

hawkdriver on November 19, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Take another Bow Barry.

Its all about you bub!

Insert witty screen name here on November 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Newsflash: The ‘Won’ has no intention of leaving office. The first order of business in term two [Please God save us], is removing the term limit and/or extending the term to six years.

Blacksmith8 on November 19, 2009 at 9:18 AM

AZCoyote on November 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Can you say IMPEACH OBAMA?
I knew you could ;-)

Blacksmith8 on November 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

highhopes on November 19, 2009

For Mr. and Mrs. Jugears, Bo is nothing but a photo op and convenient prop, but the girls probably like the dog, so don’t feel too badly.

SKYFOX on November 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

He’s a Democrat politician. They all have their head stuck up their azz to varying degrees. Otherwise they couldn’t be Democrats.

Griz on November 19, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I wonder when we’re going to change our calendar system? Instead of 2009 anno domini it’s year 1 OE (Obama Era).

The only plus side is that the OE calendar runs out in January of 2013 shortly after the Mayan end of the world.

Mojave Mark on November 19, 2009 at 9:24 AM

D’Ohbama does it again!

Cybergeezer on November 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Ich bin ein Beginner.

I still chuckle when I think of that.

Kafir on November 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM
How about Ich bin ein Buffoon?

Christian Conservative on November 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Mojave Mark on November 19, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Oh, yea; This should be introduced in Congress; I’m sure they’d love it.
And maybe they know about the Mayan calendar, that’s why they’re trying to confiscate all the money; The one who dies with the most toys wins.

Cybergeezer on November 19, 2009 at 9:31 AM

It’s just as well that he didn’t attend. I’m sure he’d have muscled his way to the front where the cameras and teleprompters were, and he hasn’t the stature to stand in the company of guys like Lech Walesa who were there to mark the fall of the Berlin wall, guys who acted instead of talked.

tpitman on November 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM

“Few would have foreseen… their American ally would be led by a man of African descent complete and utter ninny.”

Akzed on November 19, 2009 at 9:41 AM

The one who dies with the most toys wins.

Cybergeezer on November 19, 2009 at 9:31 AM

My favorite goes back to the Vietnam war (maybe further?):

Kill them all. Let God sort them out.

Kind of how I feel about this administration…rhetorically, that is.

SKYFOX on November 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM

why is it that when ever I view that caricature you’re using, what comes to mind is him showing us the pose he wishes America to take. Hands a bit lower

oldernwiser on November 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM

White or Rye?
Yoop on November 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Both, haven’t you heard? With lotsa ham.

Akzed on November 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM

You guys gotta quite calling obie “dirty, stinking, rotten coward.” Joe biden hisself said he was an articulate, clean black man, so knock it off. Our betters have spoken.

TimothyJ on November 19, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I’m hoping that he’ll just rest on his laurels for the next three.

justltl

He has none to rest on, no legitimate ones anyway.

beachgirlusa on November 19, 2009 at 9:47 AM

…the freedoms that should be the right of every human being.

Should be? Should be??

How about freedoms that ARE the right of every human being, numbnuts!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men ARE created equal, and ARE endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these ARE life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

CurtZHP on November 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I’ve met people like Obama before. Never liked any of them.

DrStock on November 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I was just thinking the same thing today.

So why is it that people (including ideological and political adversaries like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck) are always saying what a nice person Obama is? I swear, he is one of the most self absorbed, dishonest person I’ve ever seen or heard. I find him insufferable

I believe the people who say he’s a “nice guy” are afraid to be called racists. To the contrary, I see it as what’s called the “soft racism of low expectations.”

UltimateBob on November 19, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

CurtZHP on November 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM

You’re asking for a lot there, Curt.

Obama was (supposedly) a professor of the Constitution (or something). He knows and despises what it says, and wants to fundamentally alter it.

UltimateBob on November 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM

All for the 0.

Brat4life on November 19, 2009 at 10:16 AM

He also neglected to mention that Chancellor Angela Merkel is a Christian Democrat, from the same center-right party as Helmut Kohl, who was Chancellor when the Berlin Wall was destroyed. Or that the American President at that time was George H.W. Bush, father of the President that Obama blames for his “inherited” problems.

He also didn’t mention that the movement that eventually toppled the Berlin Wall started in Poland, which had been oppressed by both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, led by two Poles who bravely faced death to make their own destiny and the destiny of Eastern Europe–Lech Walesa and Karol Wojtyla, aka Pope John Paul II, as well as by Czech leader Vaclav Havel. While Obama toots his own horn, he left Poland and the Czech Republic defenseless by pulling out the missile defense system…

Oh, by the way, did Obama also mention that Pope Benedict XVI, aka Josef Ratzinger, was born and raised in Germany, and lived through Nazi oppression AND the Berlin Wall period? German Catholics are probably very proud of him, but EgObama wouldn’t dream of making others feel good about one of their countrymen–it’s all about EgObama, and no one else.

Steve Z on November 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM

On the other hand, given that “Ich bin ein Berliner” in idiomatic German means “I am a doughnut”, it could have been worse. In any event, Obama is more like an entire Black Forest Cake.

Hucklebuck on November 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM

You’re all too harsh. Obama was just trying to contribute an inspiring speech, so he brought up the most inspiring theme he could: himself.

Apparently, he really believes the pinnacle of American history is the election of himself.

/I wish this was sarc

tom on November 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

In any event, Obama is more like an entire Black Forest Cake.

Hucklebuck on November 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM

More like Tuti-Fruiti ice cream with extra nuts.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM

tom on November 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I can just see it now:

Honey, we’ve been invited to the Obama’s house for dinner.

Rats! That means we’ll have to sit through that inaguration DVD again.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Three words: passive-aggressive narcissist

ExpressoBold on November 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM

More like Tuti-Fruiti ice cream with extra nuts.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I beg to differ. Michelle has his nuts, in her hand bag.

Yoop on November 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

We all known people like Obama. We don’t like to be around them for long… they wear out their welcome pretty fast.

petunia on November 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Hucklebuck on November 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM

There was a rumour going around in the campaign that , “Si se puede” in Portuguese means “Yes, I want pudding”.

It might be true it might not be but I’m believing it!

petunia on November 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM

tom on November 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I can just see it now:

Honey, we’ve been invited to the Obama’s house for dinner.

Rats! That means we’ll have to sit through that inaguration DVD again.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Don’t know whether to laugh or cry. But have you noticed that every special occasion somehow leads to him talking about the glory of his election?

tom on November 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM

In his little video, Obama claims that America is led by a man of African descent. He, Obama, being that leader. Sorry, but Obama is not a leader in any way shape or form. Unless by leadership, he means being so stupid that he can’t understand that every idea he’s come up with is destroying America.

MrFreeman07 on November 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM

There is nothing wrong with having a good dose of self esteem, confidence, and a dash of boldness in ones list of characteristics. However, Mr. Obama would do well to find some humility, humbleness, and a lot less vanity.

Honestly. How in the hell does Michelle put up with it, and how do some have the energy to keep feeding this glutton?

capejasmine on November 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Great article from the Washington Examiner Link

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM

P.S. I hate to break it too you but you are all, in fact, sexist pigs. Ron Paul has been preaching from the same playbook for 20 years. Funny, he doesn’t look so good in a jogging suit, though, does he? Hmmmm . . . .

voxpopuli on November 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

tom on November 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Not just special occasions. The filthy lying coward rejects American exceptionalism as a concept but that sure doesn’t apply when it comes to his own personal exceptionalism.

There are many examples of this I could cite but the one that really sums it up for me is when he was talking about his racist friends arrest and referred to the White House as “his house.” The White House is the people’s house.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!

Hawkins1701 on November 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM

voxpopuli on November 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

The straight jacket sorta takes away from the look.

highhopes on November 19, 2009 at 12:28 PM

How many people have been freed from tyranny under Obama?

On Berlin, at least he did not say “Ich bin ein schwarzer Berliner”, I am a black Berliner (meaning “I’m a black doughnut”).

Schadenfreude on November 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I’ve met people like Obama before. Never liked any of them.

DrStock on November 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM

But he is their apotheosis. So much arrogance and narcissism, based on absolutely nothing of value, must be punished, and it will be.

Schadenfreude on November 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Each new day brings a new reason to be embarrassed for my country.

jukin on November 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM

This is a book every American should read, twice.

This link goes to amazon.

No, the link doesn’t go to Palin’s book, although everyone should read that too.

Jason Coleman on November 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Ich habe gewonnen.

Bruce in NH on November 19, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Ich bin ein grosse Arschloch.

1921 C DRUM on November 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Each new day brings a new reason to be embarrassed for my country.
jukin on November 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Freerepublic:
“To tell you the truth, it had to have been the worst US-Japan Summit Meeting in history,” a source of ours at the Foreign Ministry revealed to us.
Posted by AmericanInTokyo:

FR: Original post by AmericanInTokyo:

American Thinker picked it up:

A must read – just going viral – hopefully. I believe Beck picked it up.

Annie on November 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM