Video: “Avatar” trailer

posted at 6:45 pm on November 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, the gripping tale of an American soldier who falls in love with a native woman, joins her tribe, and then wages war against the encroaching Yankee oppressor. In other words, it’s “Dances With Wolves” with some “Aliens” thrown in (Giovanni Ribisi in the Paul Reiser role?) and a few Endor-type battle scenes. Oh, and half a billion dollars in special effects. Enjoy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

bonnie_ on November 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM

+1 for the Trek reference from a fellow nerd.

The Way to Eden was an episode I actually disliked initially because the stupid space hippies took control of the Enterprise and made fun of Kirk. Later I thought, that even though Spock told them to keep looking for Eden, the episode told an important lesson when all the space hippies nearly died after finding “Eden”. Yeah, I’m a big ole’ nerd too :) Bottom line is the eco-freaks would not last two seconds in the real wilderness.

SG1_Conservative on November 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM

So, instead of cowboys and indians it’s marines and aliens. I suppose when I leave the theater I’m supposed to find the nearest indian tribe, express my severe grief over what happened to them, give them my land, and go back to europe. Pocahantas in space is right.

boomer on November 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Well, the tribe that was inhabiting the land when the Europeans got there probably took it from some other group, and pretty much all of Europe was taken from other groups before the ones that reside in each area now.

So, if you follow leftists group think to its conclusion, you should spend your life trying to figure out how to clone Neanderthals, apologize to them, and then kill yourself.

18-1 on November 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM

This could be Cameron’s Heaven’s Gate or Battlefield Earth. I love science fiction but I’ll definitely pass on this one.

Deanna on November 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Everything about our bodies make us ideal for becoming the master of this planet. Any other planet with a similar eco-system will almost certainly produce other humanoids. Hopefully one day we will get to meet them. When that bright day finally comes, somehow I doubt that the outcome will be anything like this dreck movie, and much more like the future envisioned in the Dr. Who series where mankind goes out amongst the peoples of the universe…

and gets lucky.

;)

wearyman on November 15, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I’m sorry if this sounds rude, but what you just said, along with others who’ve attempted to explain it, just come off as silly. Evolution (which for the record I don’t buy in to) doesn’t just say “hey a brain is more important than…” It’s supposed to be “survival of the fittest”. A subspecies with super hearing and smell, and extra limbs would be “more fit”/stronger so they would survive. Why have the complex bodily systems we do? There are very simple creatures that dominate their own environments without all of these things.

Again, I’m struggling to put it in to words at the moment, but to think we’d contact aliens and they would look just like us… only different colored and with slightly different facial features, is ludicrous. Now, if you’re one of these people that believe there are infinite planets with species evolving on them, you could claim that you believe certainly “somewhere” there would be humanoid types… but would they really be the first ones we ever came in contact with. I’m going off of the movie and talking about all of the sightings, abductions, Roswell, etc. now.

RightWinged on November 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM

James Cameron knows how to make movies! Aliens and Terminator 2, nuff said… oh yea The Abyss was pretty damn good too.

LurkerDood on November 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Evolution (which for the record I don’t buy in to) doesn’t just say “hey a brain is more important than…” It’s supposed to be “survival of the fittest”. A subspecies with super hearing and smell, and extra limbs would be “more fit”/stronger so they would survive…

RightWinged on November 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM

This is where you are missing it, and misunderstanding the idea of Evolution. (For the record, I’m an “God Directed Evolution” guy. I see the Theory of Evolution as Man’s limited grasp on the tools God used to create us.)

While yes, those attributes that you mention might make a species more suitable for survival, and certainly would make for an excellent predator, you have to take into account that there is a “cost” for every “feature” that you have on a given species. Simply put, in an evolutionary sense, a brain capable of what our brain is capable of is very very very “expensive”.

One of the primary themes of our world is the balance between mentality and physicality. That is, the more physically strong or dangerous a given species is, the less elaborate their brain structure. (Generally. There are exceptions, like everything else.) This simply points out the cost of a brain. Highly intelligent species generally tend to have less (or none) of the more “exotic” features that many apex predators have. yet they are able to survive, even when they have to directly engage these predators on a regular basis (Dolphins vs Sharks, for example.) Why? Because their large brains allow them to out think the stupid brute force of the predators where less intelligent species would just be a meal. This is how a relatively weak and defenseless creature like Man has been able to master the planet. By using our brains.

Any intelligent species we are likely to come across will have also gone through the same “sculpting” forces that God has put us through. Thus it is likely that they will have a reasonably similar structure. IE: Bilateral symmetry, large brain case, upright stance, some kind of grasping “opposable” digits on the end of arms, and vocal communication.

It’s just logical that we are far more likely to run into humanoid aliens than a race of Space-faring Trilobytes.

wearyman on November 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM

LurkerDood on November 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM

He also made Titanic, nuff said. I judge my movies based on the movie, not who made them or who’s in them. And I have a feeling this one will be a stinker.

SG1_Conservative on November 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM

RightWinged on November 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM

survival of the fittest does not mean strongest, it refers to those who can adapt the best to their surroundings. This could be have a physical element to it, but it’s only one element to survival and advancement.

Daemonocracy on November 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Why do rocks float?
They have all those heavy tanks knocking down trees but giant rocks complete with trees float.

I read that there was a lot of motion capture of real actors and the CGI was laid over the actors face. It was very advanced and expensive.

The same actress that played Uhura in the new Trek film plays the main alien babe in this one. Her name is Zoe Saldana.

RagTag on November 16, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Daemonocracy on November 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Yes, this is what I was trying to say.

A large brain capable of complex thought is the very best adaption tool any species could have. It is the reason our weak species is more “fit” than all of the other far more dangerous predators on the planet.

Now combine that large brain with a body capable of maximizing the brain’s creative ability and you have a winning combination. A combination we are likely to see elsewhere in the Universe.

wearyman on November 16, 2009 at 12:48 AM

If you can get to a theater and see it in 3D then it is probably worth the $$$ even if the story sucks.
Yeah! It looks like “Dances With Wolves” with aliens, but I am more interested in the filming process and how the 3D tech works out. Trust me, 3D is the future in movies and computer games. Once you see it, you will understand. Those old red/blue glasses are from the 1950′s and the new tech is WAY beyond that old stuff. RealD uses polarized lenses instead of the old-crappy analglyph method.
Once you see the scenes/images in TRUE 3D you really get spoiled. Yes! It changes how movies are filmed, but this is the next step. The downside is that if this movie flops, Hollywood will freak out and become afraid to keep pushing forward.

I just wish Cameron would have done Aliens 2 in 3D. Now THAT would be something to see…

shorebird on November 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM

When I talk to my friends about what upcoming movies we’re planning on seeing Avatar does come up.

Ninja Assassin however, does. Several times.

rollthedice on November 16, 2009 at 6:20 AM

…Avatar doesn’t….

sorry.

rollthedice on November 16, 2009 at 6:20 AM

Though, watching this movie makes me wish Starcraft II was out already.

Amen to that! You can play this until it does. Enjoy!

Battlecruiser-operational on November 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Forget Avatar, that’s old news. The movie I’m waiting for is Hype!

Coronagold on November 16, 2009 at 7:36 AM

You really want to tweak a lib?

Ask them to give you a definition of “native”?

Saltysam on November 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Oops….

18-1 on November 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM

You really want to tweak a lib?

Ask them to give you a definition of “native”?

Saltysam on November 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM

We’re never getting Alita, are we?

Typhonsentra on November 16, 2009 at 9:27 AM

“Blue Moon”??

E9RET on November 16, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Looks like an anti-military/capitalism flick designed to enthrawl the gay/dork/beta type.

I’ll pass.

TheSitRep on November 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM

The first Terminator was honestly his best movie and it brought me my first crush on a blonde guy. What’s-his-name, the good guy.

mjk on November 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Kyle Reese, played by Michael Biehn…*swoon*

I didn’t even know they were making this into a movie and could not care any less. The last thing I spent a dime on from Hollywood (other than my cable bill and I’m almost ready to stop it if not for sports and weather) was when we rented Gran Torino about 5 weeks ago. It was great, IMO.

Might have to check out the HBO series and the movie…*will go back and find the comment for name* that have been recd in this thread.

pannw on November 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Kill Whitey!

pseudonominus on November 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I don’t know, I usually like these types of movies, but this one is looking a little ridiculous.

WisCon on November 16, 2009 at 10:27 AM

This will fail miserably….think:

Howard the Duck

Waterworld

Pluto Nash

Ishtar

Segway (oh wait, that failure wasn’t a movie)

omnipotent on November 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM

This will fail miserably….think:

omnipotent on November 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Not in the international market.

pseudonominus on November 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Sani Flush is blue.

BHO Jonestown on November 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM

You can’t take someone’s ideas, add one or two things, and call it yours! Damn you Dances With Smurfs!

Dark Eden on November 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Cameron – good in the eighties, pretty lame after that.

Remember his Jesus’s Tomb fiasco?

Sorry I won’t be seeing this one.

MechEng5by5 on November 16, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Battle bots and blue chicks…mmmmm mmmm mmmm.

Wyznowski on November 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM

BOMBS AWAY.

leftnomore on November 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM

It looks like FernGully and Aliens with some smurfs thrown in for good measure. CGI looks top notch (it had better be for what he paid for it) but otherwise I think I’ve seen this before.

Yakko77 on November 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Somebody left a blue guinea-pig in the disintegrator.

Feedie on November 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Why do rocks float?

Because they’re … a which!

No, a duck!

NO, BLUE!!!!

ARRrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!

(Ah, home again.)

karl9000 on November 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Because they’re … a which!

OK, I suck at this. WITCH!!!!

karl9000 on November 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I can’t even think of words strong enough to express just how thoroughly disgusted I am with all the Hollywood attempts to cast Americans – let alone the American military!!!! – as the bad, evil, awful, greedy, crazed, violent, trigger-happy oppressors. All the times Colonels are shown to be able to just blow up whatever the heck they want with no chain of command to follow or consequences… All the times the evil American causes chaos… All the times the villain is a capitalist… All the times the military has been shown to be nothing but a bunch of mindless grunts whose sole purpose of their entire existence is to “blow sh*t up”… Ugh, it just makes me want to tell Hollywood to go jump off that beautiful cliff into the Pacific ocean so they can leave the rest of us Americans – and indeed, the rest of the world – well enough alone. Goodness knows, if any of those freaking liberals actually spent any time with our military, if they actually took the time to get to know the men and women who live and die to protect their rights to make stupid movies, then maybe – just maybe – they might realize just how ridiculous they’re making themselves look with their assumptions.
And of course, well all know what happens when you assume…
/rant :)

NObama on November 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM

screw that crap. rent Gran Torino. good movie.

fullogas on November 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Though, watching this movie makes me wish Starcraft II was out already.
Amen to that! You can play this until it does. Enjoy!

Battlecruiser-operational on November 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Oh dang I want that game so bad but I’m broke. Sobs.

fullogas on November 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM