Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 10:00 am on November 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s time once again to choose the Obamateurism of the Week — and this week, our friend Chris Muir should take a bow for his new OOTD graphics!  One has to wonder who Obama will blame for these follies, especially since he doesn’t seem too shy about airing poor performances in the family.  Of course, Obama still could confuse this award with another, or simply not show up at all.   Americans might be in the mood to make a trade already, but they’ll have to wait for 2012.

Previous “winners”:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I had to go with the bow, which should be referred to in the future as BOHICA, as it will surely happen again.

ICBM on November 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Was Jimmy Carter ever this consistantly stupid or was it that there just wasn’t video 24/7?

cadams on November 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM

wish i knew.. its hard imagining anyone being worse. I think he is more dangerous than Carter.

cubbieblue25 on November 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

You saw the picture Now see the video

CWforFreedom on November 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

A powerful crop of idiocy to pick from this week.

forest on November 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM

It’s becoming much too difficult to select a major moronic mistake each week. There must be 4 or 5 things this clown has done in the week that may seem in the remotest sense presidential. Something, anything! That would be easier to vote on.

davo on November 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM

they dont calls you stopped clock for nothin

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM

ya knows what i says

blatantblue on November 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

tick talk

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Well said, my wise friend.

HornetSting on November 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM

This one The One is a no-brainer.

(Fixed it for me)

Shy Guy on November 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM

You saw the picture Now see the video

CWforFreedom on November 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for posting that. It makes this situation so much clearer. Obviously Obama dropped something on the floor and was just picking it up. I wonder what he dropped. Do you know?

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Ed, can we have an “All of the Above” option? This is really a tough choice.

Like Cindy and others, I also went with the troops.

conservative pilgrim on November 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Ed, can we have an “All of the Above” option? This is really a tough choice.

conservative pilgrim on November 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I’m getting PTSD from this.

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:39 AM

It really is getting harder and harder to choose just one. He does multiple thigns on a weekly basis that would end any other President’s presidency. I don’t even know where to start.

Vera on November 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Maybe that is how he really felt, or maybe it is just a result of not knowing how to fake the proper emotion for such an event.

cobrakai99 on November 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM

It would indeed be fake. He exhibits complete apathy. I’ve seen more emotion from a Japanese robot.

donh525 on November 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Not exactly a MacArthur moment.

The funny thing is , if you watch the video, he actually gives about a 1/2 dozen additional bows, including quarter bows and another 1/2 dozen honorific head nods. What a bozo. The laughing stock of japan.

R Square on November 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Dammit, I truly can’t choose. They are all so deliciously awful!

Sekhmet on November 15, 2009 at 11:44 AM

You saw the picture Now see the video

CWforFreedom on November 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

My gosh he really does resemble a bobble-head!

And it was tough choosing one this week, they were all pretty bad.

4shoes on November 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The bow to Abdullah was amateurish. The bow to Akihito was something else entirely. It was a statement of principle and I am disgusted by it.

Kafir on November 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM

All of the above! But I picked him to Camp David and W to Ft Hood only because of irony.

Dingbat63 on November 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Ron Kuby is right about this:

“[Mohammed's] goal in the legal system is not to beat the rap. His goal is to use the legal system as a forum for his own ideas and to embrace martyrdom through that system.”

I hope I am wrong on how this plays out, but I suspect that “Judgment at Nuremburg” this will not be. Holder and Obama gave KSM a hell of a last request, a chance to play (granted KSM’s own sick twisted version) of “A Man of All Seasons” or “Braveheart.” Take your choice.

Mr. Joe on November 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Nice job on the graphic, Chris!

Bob's Kid on November 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM

How about trying 9/11 terrorists in civilian court in New York City for an Obamateurism of the week. Much higher folly than Malia’s grades being revealed.

eaglewingz08 on November 15, 2009 at 11:59 AM

It is saying alot when we finally need an “all of the above” option.

ORconservative on November 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Yoop on November 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Yoop on November 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Close. It looked to me like our national honor.

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM

This administration makes me SICK. Actually, bowing the the Japanese Emperor wasn’t a mistake – it was done totally on purpose. Barack Hussein Obama in 9 months has turned a proud country into a grovelling MESS.

katablog.com on November 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Ed, you are going to have to add an “All of the above” button…

Seven Percent Solution on November 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM

The Trainwreck continues…

2ipa on November 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM

The blatant snub to the Ft. Hood troops and victims is inexcusable…

The absurd bow is inexcusable…

The stupid shout-out is inexcusable…

The continuous stream of lies is inexcusable…

EVERYTHING THIS IDIOT DOES IS INEXCUSABLE!!!

jgdp on November 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM

There I so many important things Obama is actually doing wrong . Socializing the entire country (if not the world). Bankrupting America via spending delusions.. Socializing medicine via Obamacare.. Destroying small business via Cap & Trade & nanny taxes.. Destroying our Armed Forces via Political Correctness.. Destroying the Middle Class-the backbone of American capitalism via all of the above plus by exacerbating class warfare.. Turning our country into world laughing stock by egregious and inappropriate apologizing thus increasing the odds of world chaos and war. This is especially ludicrous since much of the apologizing has been done to to the likes of Cuba, Libya, Iran, Russia, Venezuela and other countries with tyrannical leaders.. Dooming future generations to back-breaking taxes because of impossible-to-repay debt being accumulated as I type.Therefore, it would seem asinine to critique him for bowing in Japan. Anybody who\’s ever lived or worked in Japan (and some other Asian countries as well) know that bowing is the equivalent of a handshake. Any westerner who fails to bow in Japan, will, succinctly, fail his purpose whether that purpose be to trade futures contracts and negotiate import-export treaties. Refusing to bow is the equivalent of refusing to shake hands or even spitting in one\’s face.There is so much in what Obama is saying and, most importantly, doing, to criticize, that it is ludicrous to concentrate on the picayune.

MaiDee on November 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM

So we traded in the “hated Cowboy President” for the Bowboy President?

Oleta on November 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Give me a BREAK! What other US President has ever bowed to anyone including any Asian? Have we never done business successfully with Japan?

katablog.com on November 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Exit question: after studying the graphic at the top, tell me, which end contains the brain?

Yoop on November 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM

We are now “The United Staes of Navel Starers”. Someone tell him we will never go forward while we constantly look backward.

Fuquay Steve on November 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM

The bow to Akihito could be an extension of Barry’s apology tour, or it could simply show Barry’s ignorance of protocol.

Choosing to go to Camp David rather than Ft. Hood was a direct and deliberate snub to the men and women who volunteer to put their lives on the line and serve our country.

The bow may be more “amateurish”, but going to Camp David was disgraceful and unforgivable.

In my entire adult life…I’ve never been more ashamed of this president.

Barb Dwyer on November 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Anyone wonder if he did the bow just to deflect later attack ads showing his bowing to the Saudi king? The argument would then go “well he does this with other foreign leaders too.” In that case, it would not be an amateur move but a calculated one.

GnuBreed on November 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Except that he did not bow to the Queen of England, so that defense won’t fly

kathleen on November 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM

In my entire adult life…I’ve never been more ashamed of this president.

Barb Dwyer on November 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Three more years to go!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on November 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Jimmy Carter is and was bad. However, it did take a lot longer for people to wake up to how out of his league he was at being President. No You Tube, or videos. We had to depend on the evening news. The real Conservatives knew it instinctively. Again, it was a “hold your nose” type of election. Gerald Ford was no prize, but would have been infinitly better than Carter.
The hostage taking was a blantant and visible event that startled most Americans into thinking about what had happened. The news media was really into reporting that. Every evening Nightline would say, “America held hostage, day 85″. Then they would go on about how there was no progress in the hostage crisis. That number kept getting bigger and then we were into election season. Jimmy just retreated behind the WH walls. The economy kept getting worse and then we had the Jim Jones atrocity. A congressman was killed. It did take 4 years for it to all culminate into the mess that it became. Then 30 years later we found out what a bigot Jimmy Carter really is. That was pretty much hidden until recently.
We are on a faster downhill run. It’s very obvious to way too many people with Obama. The economy isn’t going to get better. They are trying to radicalize every inch of the government. People are taking to the streets. I never saw that with Jimmy. I don’t think Jimmy would have had the guts to do what Obama is doing. He wanted to, but couldn’t get away with it. This is true of every Democrat. They have always wanted to do this to our country. They never had the votes until now.

BetseyRoss on November 15, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Damn. This is really a tough one….

Urban Infidel on November 15, 2009 at 12:50 PM

I know that most went with the bow, but I think Obowma’s treatment of the Ft. Hood attacks was worse.

Urban Infidel on November 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM

MaiDee on November 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM

WRONG! The NYT jumped all over Clenis for almost bowing to Hirohito. The President should not bow to any other leader. It is clear the Emperor was expecting a handshake.

And forget that this was another mistake. After all the flak the last time? This was intentional, and fits right in with the whole appeasment/apology foreign policy.

2ipa on November 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM

ICBM on November 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Perhaps this current bad joke of a POTUS should assume this new stance the next time he meets with someone like Putin, or even better, Chavez. Maybe he should then just face the other direction when assuming the position and just get it over with!

Oh, and the reference here to BOHICA? Priceless! And more than appropiate!

pilamaye on November 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM

The mistreatment of our military takes first place for me. The bow is an embarrassment, his neglect to our fallen servicemen is a abrogation of his highest duty and an affront to his own citizenry.

In effect his actions reflect the belief that Americans are not worthy of being defended as he deliberately insults those that defend and protect us. We should count ourselves fortunate that he didn’t say the valiant young woman who shot Hasan acted ‘stupidly’. Perhaps he just thought it this time.

Carolina Kat on November 15, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I’d like to vote for all of them except outing his daughter. This was just too hard.

Oldnuke on November 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM

…………….”Any westerner who fails to bow in Japan, will, succinctly, fail his purpose whether that purpose be to trade futures contracts and negotiate import-export treaties.”

Head nod suffices and is respectful. Like at the dojo for karate, aikido, or judo.

Cybergeezer on November 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Totally wrong choice of word.

unclesmrgol on November 15, 2009 at 10:39 AM

No actually, exactly the right word. From Mirriam Webster:

denigrate

2 : to deny the importance or validity of : belittle

If you choose to play word police and go digging around in Latin roots, that’s your prerogative. But recognize that there are many, many words that will have to be removed from common usage based on the criteria you’re using. Do you really want to rewrite the dictionary to prevent us from offending PC sensibilities?

Dee2008 on November 15, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Yes, this needs to be done daily, not weekly.

Obama is a daily screw up.

Ricohoc on November 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM

It really is getting harder to choose. I almost couldn’t decide.

I finally went with the business owners one, I guess because what I hate most is his antipathy toward Americans and capitalism. (Plus he’s stupid.)

Alana on November 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM

That bow was the perfect summary of every Obamateurism to date.

The only problem is that it is the American public who is also bowing over, but spreading the cheeks as well to the whims and schemes of the Democratic Party.

itzWicks on November 15, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I am inclined to think that the bow might have been Mr Obama’s attempt to undo the idiocy of his bow to the Saudi King, by showing that he gives reverence to all manner of people and doesn’t give only *Muslim* leaders special treatment.

Is that better or worse? Really, I have no idea.

YiZhangZhe on November 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM

How I miss President Bush and his love and honor of every man and woman in uniform.

dragondrop on November 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I wish you would have offered an “all of the above” choice. This president is terrible.

free on November 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM

While the bow was the obvious choice, I went for the first one. I have many in my family who have served and are serving this country, as I am sure many of us do, and I think Obama’s lack of focus, interest or knowledge when it comes to those he commands who defend us and our freedoms is criminal.

TeeDee on November 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM

BULLPUCKY!!!

flyoverboy on November 15, 2009 at 1:55 PM

So many good choices; I could use the term clown in reference to this guy everyday for the next 3 years and it would be relevant.

Next week he’ll deliver a doozy.

This guy is weird and that’s why I wonder if he (and his team) won’t try to become Chavez or Castro of the USA.

On the other hand he’s like every liberal – they behave oddly and say some of the stupidest things. Maybe he is just going down in flames like a Jimmy.

father on November 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I wonder if Obama would enjoy a recreation of the Bataan Death March?
(I really loathe this man!)

Jenfidel on November 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

BetseyRoss on November 15, 2009 at 12:42 PM

great post about carter

cubbieblue25 on November 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM

So we traded in the “hated Cowboy President” for the Bowboy BLOWBOY President?

Oleta on November 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM

FIFY And btw, there are multiple ways that one works

bikermailman on November 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Is everyone else getting the Duluth Trading Co. ad about “plumber’s butt” right below the pictures of Bend Overbama?

Hope not. At least not while eating.

Tom_OC on November 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I wonder if Obama would enjoy a recreation of the Bataan Death March?
(I really loathe this man!)

Jenfidel on November 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Hw would, of course, express his concerns for the injurys suffered by the heroic Japanese soldiers escorting the imperialist American soldiers to re-education and research facilities, and then offer an apology and restitution to their families (the Japanese liberators).

BobMbx on November 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I picked Obama goes to Camp David while Bush goes to Ft. Hood. I think it would have gotten more votes if Ed had properly titled it “Obama bows to allah” (no, I will not capitalize that effing phony god’s name).

SKYFOX on November 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I was personally torn, I mean the bow shows to all the world what a tool and laughingstock he is. But….. even though I think it is impossible for him and his charming missus to really show empathy to the Fort Hood troops a REAL Commander-in-Chief would have made the appearance of caring. So for me going to Camp David is beyond an Obamaturism, but a slap in the face to all Americans who are grieving for our military family. Top it off with his campaign rhetoric about Afghanistan being the important war and leaving those troops hanging, it is impossible to overstate my disdain for these people.

Spunky06 on November 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Initially I was unsure but this has gone on long enough that I can unequivocally say that Barack Obama makes Jimmy Carter look intelligent.

I used to say that Carter was the most incompetent US President I had even seen, and Clinton the most corrupt, but Obama makes them both look like amateurs in their respective categories.

God help the USA.

hachiban on November 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

OK, the bow is ignorant in its appearance. Gotta ask now, how is it he is going to screw the Japanese? What is he going to ram down their throat that we are not up to speed about? I guess we’ll have to wait until he prostrates himself asking forgiveness for the end of WWII.

ericdijon on November 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM

The bow was certainly the most spectacular foul-up of the week, and makes the US look simpering and foolish (although that may be part of the plan), but IMHO the confusion of the Medal of Honor with the Presidential Medal of Freedom is the more telling: it shows a president who has no concept of valor or duty, no sense of history, and no concern for traditional American values. Let’s give a big shout-out for that.

ljo on November 15, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Guy must have a submission fetish, look who he married.

Maquis on November 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Love the new graphics for this, Ed. Never was a fan of the other one. I voted “bow” even though there are much more egregious “mistakes” he’s made this week, some of the others feel more like deliberate arrogance than ignorance.

jtownsley on November 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I wish we could have an all of the above. Everything he does lately seems really very stupid.

Key West Reader on November 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Allow me to correct and edit your comment. No offense.

jarhead0311 on November 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I think the announcement to have KSM tried in NYC ranks right up there. I just keep wondering, what’s next?

gatorfanatic on November 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM

This one gave me a headache. I finally had to pick blaming business owners. What an asinine thing to do.

boomer on November 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM

He’s acting like Akihito’s servant after receiving orders. If I call him “President Lawn Jockey” is that racist?

Pelayo on November 15, 2009 at 5:23 PM

My first instinct was to vote for Pres. Bush going to Fort Hood, because when I saw that on the news I was touched by the effort of our former president and first lady. Their visit to Fort Hood really resonated with me given the actions of the incompetent boob who now occupies the Oval Office. However, after Bowbama’s repeated apologies for the U.S. and dodging the Hiroshima A-bomb question, I had to go with kowtowing to Ahikito.

Again, kudos to Pres. and Mrs. Bush for honoring our patriots.

Philly on November 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Very hard to make a choice this week…

They all qualified as memorable Obamateurisms.

Antagonist on November 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I know for sure it wasn’t a copy of the Constitution. He hasn’t bothered to pick it up and peruse it yet.yoop

He used the Constitution to paper train Bo.

Great graphic.

Beaglemom on November 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Too many colossal screw-ups to choose this week, I agree. How does our scoundrel of a commander-in-chief look at himself in the mirror every day? FDR must be rolling in his grave after the bow to Akihito. Amazing. Does Maobama realize how these gaffes look at an international level? How could he ignore our troops at Fort Hood and go to Camp David instead? And while he is in Asia, the White House announces more bad news for our troops in Af-Pak after he leaves the country. Three more long years of treachery.

Philly on November 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM

How does the scoundrel of a commander in chief look at himself in the mirror every day?
It is my understanding that all reflective surfaces have been either covered or removed if they can be seen by him whilst he is walking anywhere.
Catching sight of himself in a mirror or any other reflective surface will cause an immediate minimum 5 minute delay as he admires and talks to his reflection in cooing dulcet tones.

Obama is a liar and Truth is
killing his Marxist agenda.

Army Brat on November 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM

You know of course that Obambi is a Constitutional expert. He became one the better to dismantle it. Know thine enemy and all that…

Army Brat on November 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM

After a ( really awful) mexican dinner yesterday , I had plenty of time to ponder overnight, alone and undistracted, about a lot of stuff. I even decided to worm into the Hussain’s thought process to understand why he does what he does.
On his bending-over/bowing to the emperor of Japan :
He was not only thanking the emperor for the emperor’s dad’s attack on Pearl Harbor but also apologising for the US reaction to Pearl Harbor attack

On his “shoutout speech ” and heading to Camp David :
The US military are the people who salute him and play the band when he walks by. No one spoils their weekend for a bunch of band-players.Plus they are always asking for more money. His paygrade is too grande to socialize with the help
The US military also made his uncle cry when he liberated Auchwitz during WW2. So there

On his complaint that businesses are not hiring :
Its always someone elses fault, specially if that someone else are hardworking taxpaying independent self-respecting and proud US citizens It make no sense to Hussain that when the whole world hates the US, these people love the US and are proud of it too. The businesses are doing this to spite him because he is so awsome

More musings to come

macncheez on November 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I went with Pres. Bush going to Ft. Hood while der leader went to Camp David.

Bust = class and compassion
der leader = not

On the other hand…

Bow Wow bow-bows is good, too.

GrannyDee on November 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM

tougher week than usual.

toenail on November 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I wonder what he dropped. Do you know?

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Protocol.

davidk on November 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

In my entire adult life…I’ve never been more ashamed of this president.

Barb Dwyer on November 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I blame Bush.

HAnthonyWayne on November 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I wonder what he dropped. Do you know?

Loxodonta on November 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Brains? Common sense? Dignity? Nuclear codes?

The list is endless.

HAnthonyWayne on November 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM

So many obamateurism’s so little time!

MCGIRV on November 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Jake Tapper mentions the Nixon bow. I had a look at the photograph. Tapper and his source are incorrect because what took place between Nixon and the emperor of Japan was mutual. If you do not believe me, go click on the link and you will see that what Nixon did was respectful and that it was reciprocated.

I went with the bow, even though the Ft. Hood thing was also bad. Having read about what one of the wounded soldiers stated about the actual Obama visit, it would have been better if he had stayed away. The young soldier mentioned the way that Obama seemed like a robot… no warmth of feelings. How different with Bush who held the hands of the soldiers, whilst both he and Laura spent a long time with the wounded soldiers.

Nope, the bow wins hands down. It was a breach of protocol. It has nothing to do with cultural sensitivity since this is POTUS the head of state, not some junior citizen….

maggieo on November 15, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Obama turned to the american press corp to say the bow was to show his humility. The american press said “yes Mr. President – humiliation, gotcha.

Americannodash on November 16, 2009 at 1:16 AM

How about we still don’t have a decision on the troop increases for Afghanistan. Remember, weekly selection option…

Running total of the weeks…

hawkdriver on November 16, 2009 at 3:44 AM

hawkdriver’s point is spot on

…deliberate delay day count

/Drudge headline story of our troops in Afghanistan low morale is days old.

Dog Obama bowwows the Japanese Emperor who is then seen laughing at Obama bobbing to the Empress.

Roll over tummy up. How does Obama greet Gore, “President of the Planet”?

/Climate Change: China seeding clouds, Venezuela asking Cuba to bomb clouds to end their drought…Marxist governments playing god of nature to awe the peasants.

maverick muse on November 16, 2009 at 7:50 AM