Japan expert to ABC: Yes, Obama’s bow made him look like an idiot

posted at 7:45 pm on November 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

So much of an idiot, in fact, that according to Tapper’s source, at least one Japanese paper isn’t running the photo out of embarrassment. This tool actually groveled himself into a minor international incident.

The good news for O-bots? It wasn’t unprecedented. Nixon evidently made a modest bow to Hirohito in the early 70s. The bad news?

“Obama’s handshake/forward lurch was so jarring and inappropriate it recalls Bush’s back-rub of Merkel.

“Kyodo News is running his appropriate and reciprocated nod and shake with the Empress, certainly to show the president as dignified, and not in the form of a first year English teacher trying to impress with Karate Kid-level knowledge of Japanese customs.

“The bow as he performed did not just display weakness in Red State terms, but evoked weakness in Japanese terms….The last thing the Japanese want or need is a weak looking American president and, again, in all ways, he unintentionally played that part.

A senior White House official (read: Axelrod or Emanuel) assured Politico this morning that no Japanese observers “would say anything other than that he enhanced both the position and the status of the U.S., relative to Japan.” Consider that spin exploded, thanks to ABC.

And yet, having said that, I’m not convinced that the “groveling” explanation for the bow is necessarily the correct one. For one thing, his protocol office is famously run by imbeciles. They may very well have simply given him bum advice: “Be sure to hunch way the hell over and stare at the ground. They all do it that way.” For another thing, and somewhat notably, Japan isn’t a stop on The One’s world apology tour. It could have been, but he declined the opportunity to turn it into one. So why give the emperor the full Hopenchange treatment, then? Is it just … reflex at this point? Or is it actually a sign of how keenly aware Obama is of the messianic hype that follows him around the world? Maybe he figured that, as the newly anointed global Jesus, he’d better go out of his way to show deference to Japan’s divine ruler lest it seem like he was “pulling rank.” Think of it as “Superman II,” if the main characters had landed on Earth convinced that they had to “rebuild Krypton’s relationships” with the universe. In that case, you don’t kneel before Zod; Zod kneels before you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Obowma keeps making his Party look worse every day, but they’re stuck with him until the next election. They have no choice but to back him no matter how shrill or insane their arguments become. As time goes on, even the MSM will start inching away. The great liberal love affair is on the rocks.

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

President . . . O baka

CPT. Charles on November 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM

That is both ingenious and hilarious, and if explained, might become more adopted. Allow me, if permitted:

The term ‘baka’ (pronounced bahkah, with the first syllable slightly stronger) means roughly the same as ‘idiot’ or ‘complete idiot’ in Japanese. It comes close to being a swear word, but is acceptable for mixed company. BZs, Captain.

I don’t openly ridicule our president, out of respect for the position that he holds and the country he represents. Private conversation is different: the man humiliated every Pacific war allied veteran with that series of bows. I shudder to think what the men who waded ashore at Tarawa would say if they witnessed that.

This man and his staff are either inept or something unspeakably worse. The President of the United States of America is the leader of the Free World, and this administration is selling us out.

Best regards.

PeterWarner on November 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Body of Michael Scott, Chicago School Board President, Found
Updated: Monday, 16 Nov 2009, 9:43 AM CST

Published : Monday, 16 Nov 2009, 5:39 AM CST

Sun-Times Media Wire

Chicago - Michael Scott, president of the Chicago Board of Education, allegedly shot himself in the head along the Chicago River early Monday morning, according to report.

Sources say the gun was found near the body, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Scott’s body was found floating near the Merchandise Mart early Monday in the River North neighborhood, police said.

Police said Chicago School Board President Michael W. Scott was reported missing from his home in the Monroe police district on the Near West Side in Chicago Sunday and police believe the body pulled from the river was likely him.

I wonder if he had anything to do with those stimulus jobs that weren’t actually “jobs” there in Chicago? One can only surmise that this guy was a friend of Arne Duncan, who used to have this same post. I won’t jump to conclusions but one can only surmise that this guy was offed, Vince Foster style, because he was part of the Olympics failure or some stimulus jobs failure. We aren’t making that conclusion, but I’m sure the warning signs were there…
/s

ted c on November 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

This man and his staff are either inept or something unspeakably worse.

PeterWarner on November 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I suggest the term “or” above is too limiting.

BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Several times over the last few months I’ve made predictions that the Dem party will at least have discussions about not supporting him in 2012.

I think it’s time to upgrade the probablity: I now place it at FAIR. Hillary is not done with her attempt to become the most powerful man on the planet.

BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM

BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM

If you’re right, and I hope you are, it would be a first. I can’t recall either Party withdrawing support from a sitting president. Then again, neither one has ever put up such a boob and gotten him into office.

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Then again, neither one has ever put up such a boob and gotten him into office.

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I remember Carter, who was supported by his party in a re-election bid, and got his ass handed to him.

The question is: Have the liberals learned from that? I hope not.

BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM

The question is: Have the liberals learned from that? I hope not.

BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I agree, and also hope they haven’t learned.

Rather then publicly fail to support an Obowma re-election bid, the Dems might somehow persuade him not to run again like LBJ had the ‘decency’ to do in ’68. However, I can’t imagine Obowma’s ego letting him give in to that idea.

It also depends on who the Pubs put up and how badly the MSM skewers that candidate. Another weak Pub is a sure-fire way another Dem will be elected.

More than hoping the Dems remain stuck on stupid, I hope the Pubs have learned something after the McCain debacle.

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM

After two days of this topic, I’m still appalled Obowma did the Bubble Headed Bobble. I’m glad to see some in the MSM aren’t thrilled, either.

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM

It only takes 11 words: Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?

BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM

PeterWarner on November 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

All very true.

But you missed the complete meaning I was trying put across:

ōbaka 大馬鹿 “big fool, damned idiot”

I’ll take the blame for not making it clearer [can’t do the ‘ō’ in ‘caps’ with my limited skills . . . ]

Gomen nasai.

CPT. Charles on November 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM

He’s such an ego-maniacal narcissist!

Oh wait, this doesn’t fit that meme does it?

Hey, no worries. It’s not like intellectual consistency is required around here.

orange on November 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Oops.
Looks like the Great Wall-tear down this Wall schtick was already used against Bush before.
Sorry.
Won’t happen again.

justltl on November 16, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I am sick and tired of this man bowing and doing apologies for our Country. He will be the ruin of us, yet.

Also, WTH, is this that he’s the new Pacific President? I thought he was the POTUS?

Keep allowing it to happen people. You are not going to recognize the USA when he is finished and I pray it’s just another 3 years and I dread thinking what he can do during that remaining time.

shoregulls on November 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

he looks like an idiot because he is an idiot….

chai on November 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM

shoregulls on November 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Our only recourse is to cause serious harm to the Dem majority in Congress next election, if not take one Chamber away from them. That can slow down if not stop Obowma’s policies.

Liam on November 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Nixon’s bow doesn’t really even look like a bow. To me, it just seems like he’s bending down hear the emperor say something. Hirohito is obviously talking in the picture and Nixon is smiling.

WarEagle01 on November 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Well, I think the right focus on this is probably overblown. It’s not protocol, for sure, but apparently all of the presidents have been moving in the direction of “When in Rome, do as Romans.”

Personally, I think the story is a kerpluffle and not worth a lot of press.

AnninCA on November 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Thank God Osama didn’t kiss him on the lips or hold his hand like a little school girl.

Dave Rywall on November 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Obama will just love China. I am sure they will censor the news (Fox News). And, put giant photos of him up on every street corner.

SC.Charlie on November 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Yes, he’s going around acting like the lapdog of the world and Sarah Palin’s the joke and stupid idiot? What was her education? What was his? Constitutional Law and International Relations vs Journalism? Heck, compare this to her closed room speech! The Talking Heads have to talk trash about her to cover up for how awful they are and because she can stir up the masses if given an opportunity. For all those of my fellows on the right side of the aisle that run around agreeing with the “Sarah is an idiot” story, I remember you folks back in the mid-80s saying the same thing before about President Ronald Reagan before he gave his “Tear down this wall” speech months before his departure. Yeah, I’m gonna listen to you this time? I don’t think so. You’re the people who give us Bob Dole, John McCain, and Dede.

Sultry Beauty on November 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I just can’t wait until the adults are in charge again. This is getting old. What a foolishly idiotic conniving man BHO is. mmm mmm mmm.

redwhiteblue on November 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Watching WWII in HD on the History Channel.
It’s truly amazing he is an American apologist for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. Look what they put our people through. FUBO should be ashamed.

ndulik on November 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Sultry Beauty on November 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I remember that too. There were an awful lot of people claiming Reagan was a senile idiot, on both sides of the aisle, I think, really right up until he died. I loved Reagan, but it’s been interesting to see his rehabilitation amongst the left and near-right. I’d love to see Palin overcome all the negativity and become President, I honestly think she’d be a good one. I just don’t know if she can get there. The forces against her are certainly more vocal and organized than they ever were against Reagan.

mbs on November 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM

ndulik on November 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM
————
wtf are you talking about?
Nobody apologized for the bombings.
Keep makin’ stuff up. Sarah is cheering for you, little boy.

Dave Rywall on November 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

He’s such an ego-maniacal narcissist!

Oh wait, this doesn’t fit that meme does it?

orange on November 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Actually, it fits that meme perfectly. He’s so much of a megalomaniac that he thinks that he knows “better” than anyone else how to greet a foreign leader. Protocol be damned.

Vera on November 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Now now, look what you’ve gone and done HA, you’ve ticked off the man behind the curtain/Obama’s biggest fan (Charles) and just when you think he’s spent enough time not caring about the bow
he’s back to cherry picking HA commentors to show everyone what right wing racist nuts they are

scalleywag on November 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

For a minute I thought he was gonna tea bag em.

CriticalUpdate on November 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Dave Rywall on November 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

You have heard that the hand-holding and kissing was a sign of respect and friendship in Arab culture, right?
Bowing deeply is a sign of submission to the Japanese.
You are comparing the equivalent of a slap on the back to the equivalent of going down on one knee.

Count to 10 on November 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM

scalleywag on November 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Interesting. From one of his links:

Ambassador Capricia Penavic Marshall was sworn in as Chief of Protocol of the United States on August 3, 2009.

So, now we have a name to put to it.

Count to 10 on November 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

…I’ve made predictions that the Dem party will at least have discussions about not supporting him in 2012.
BobMbx on November 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I predict he won’t run again. He’ll play the family card and say something about being too busy with his total awesomeness and world-saving and how he’s missing out on his daughters’ lives, and he’ll announce that he’s voluntarily stepping down before his term is over to let Joe “Jobs” Biden be president for a while, too.

But what will really be driving him is a specific and calculated decision to prevent history books from writing anything about America rejecting him while he was still available for a second term.

He simply won’t allow his ego to run that risk.

rogerb on November 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM

President . . . O baka

CPT. Charles on November 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM

This WWII history buff is greatly amused and impressed by that. Well done.

Yakko77 on November 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Dave Rywall on November 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Bowing deeply is a sign of submission to the Japanese.

Count to 10 on November 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM
——-
Ha ha ha ha

Dave Rywall on November 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Oh wait – so Count to 10 liked that W kissed and held hands and that he submitted to Arab cultural norms. Awesome.

Dave Rywall on November 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM

So, now we have a name to put to it.

Count to 10 on November 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Time enough to have prepared Mr. President for the trip.

scalleywag on November 16, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Bull. He bowed on purpose. He wants the US to be taken down one notch or several in the eyes of the world. He, of all people, is trying to project international humility—so sorry for being so powerful for so long—while being a personal nacisssist.

Haunches on November 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Heads-up, CNN is spinning this right now.

LOL, they call his version of the bow “unique”. Too insane!

Del Dolemonte on November 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Is there a place where I could see State Department protocol suggestions for dealing with foreign dignitaries?

hawksruleva on November 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Too funny-CNN just trotted out a poll from July from what they call the “non-partisan” (but actually Left leaning) PEW poll. Only reason they did this was to show that Bush had lower approval from people of the world than O’bama now does.

That’s nice work, CNN. Dr. Goebbels is looking up and approving.

Of course, Hack Cafferty is avoiding this topic like The Plague-it’s talking about Palin again. But congrats to Hack for getting his daughter out of the house this weekend! Wolf thought that news was more important than O’bama’s diplomatic gaffe.

Del Dolemonte on November 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM

hawksruleva on November 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM

These may have what you’re looking for-let us know what you find.

Del Dolemonte on November 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I really can’t bring myself to care about stupid stuff like this, and I think we make political discourse worse by talking about it.

TheUnrepentantGeek on November 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I don’t have all the facts, but Obama behaved stupidly.

TN Mom on November 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I don’t have all the facts, but Obama behaved stupidly.

TN Mom on November 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Hehe. Fair enough.

TheUnrepentantGeek on November 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM

mmm mmm mmm.

khacha on November 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM

FUBO should be able to support Truman’s decision to Abomb Japan unequivocally. I tired of his dithering.

ndulik on November 16, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Protocol?

MB4 on November 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM

The lefties are going crazy with a pic of Ike giving Charles de Gaulle a head bow in 1959. Lame.

I posted that in the wrong thread.

toliver on November 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Another great video on the subject. Even the Canadian guy did not bow.

CWforFreedom on November 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM

“according to Tapper’s source, at least one Japanese paper isn’t running the photo out of embarrassment.”

One paper out of how many??? And that’s if Tapper’s source is correct, which I doubt.

You also failed to mention Hirohito signed off on the bombing of Pearl Harbor and Nixon bowed to him on American soil.

There was also Eisenhower bowing to Charles de Gaulle in 1959.

And the winner is!!!!>>>
G W Bush holding hands and kissing King Fahd of Saudi Arabia.

I almost forgot Bush groping German Chancellor Angela Merkel

Bill Blizzard on November 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM

“… made him look like an idiot.” Now it’s more accurate.

ray on November 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Oh my, why did I not think of this before. It was a South Park moment!! You all remember the episode involving the purchase of the Prius and the George Clooney cloud, and how one of them shifted to San Francisco where these self-satisfied people would bend over and sniff their own er, um…. you know…. their bad odor!! ROFL.

Yes, that is it, just as Obama was about to shake hands he let one rip…. ROFL

maggieo on November 17, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Bill Blizzard on November 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Libtard alert…..

At least now I have seen the photograph. There was nothing at all wrong with what George Bush did. In many countries it is customary to greet people with whom you are friendly with a peck on the cheek…. yes between men….the holding hands also means nothing.

maggieo on November 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM

it is customary to greet people with whom you are friendly with ……………..
maggieo on November 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Not as President representing the US. Especially in front of the press for the world to see, with a fundamentalist dictator who funds radical madrassas.

Bill Blizzard on November 17, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Bill Blizzard on November 17, 2009 at 1:11 AM

that looked like a picture from a private meeting…. sorry, I disagree that it is in any way worse than being a subservient fool.

maggieo on November 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM

I thought that I made a comment on this thread about the Jake Tapper Nixon picture. I had a look at it, and I noticed that it was a mutual bow that was taking place. There is nothing wrong with a bow of the head when there is eye contact.

In this instance the image conveys something that is really very shocking. I am not a citizen of the USA but I have cousins who are USA citizens. Their father was a Marine during the Second World War who served in the Pacific theatre of war. In memory of my uncle John, all I can say is that this bow is totally disgraceful.

As already explained by others, the bow is one of subservience and it is an apology for the fact that the Allies defeated Japan, a defeat that came about because of the dropping of two atomic bombs. Sadly, it seems that most Americans are not even aware that one of those bombs was off course – it was meant to hit a munitions factory near Nagasaki. A large number of the good people of Nagasaki were Christian (Catholics even) and over 3000 of them had gathered inside of the Cathedral to pray at the time that the bomb hit. One of the survivors, a doctor whose wife was amongst those fried inside of the Cathedral lasted for years despite his radiation poisoning. The story of this brave man is told in a very moving book called “Song for Nagasaki”. This doctor was one of the first to use x-ray machines and on the morning that the bomb hit he was at the hospital. He forgave the Allies for the dropping of the bomb.

However, it seems that your craven President is so uncomfortable with the victory of the Allies in World WarII that he took it upon himself to offer subservience to the Emperor of Japan to ask for forgiveness. Really? How gauche.

No matter what we think about the after effects of dropping those bombs, they did bring the war to an end, and they saved countless lives including the lives of millions of Japanese and Koreans, Indonesians, Chinese and other Pacific Nations, including Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea and the Philippines. The existence of this technology also acted as a deterrent to prevent further world wide confrontation. However, the more wide spread this technology has been the greater the likelihood that a rogue nation will use it to cause grave danger.

The body language within this action is very telling. As a world leader there is no way that this should have taken place. This was a meeting of equals but what has taken place is just too difficult to totally comprehend, all because you have a real fool for a President.

maggieo on November 17, 2009 at 1:32 AM

I disagree that it is in any way worse than being a subservient fool.
maggieo on November 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Kissing and holding hands with a with a fundamentalist dictator who funds radical Sunni madrassas which is where the 9/11 terrorist types get nurtured is better then The O being overly polite?

Bill Blizzard on November 17, 2009 at 2:49 AM

This is why I adore you, Allahpundit.

DrMagnolias on November 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM

This “president” is such a diabolical dullard. I am heartened to see so many independents and youngsters who wanted to be part of history and bought into his grand eloquence stealthily removing their Obama/Biden stickers out of embarrassment and regret. 1/20/2012 the true end of an error.

PatriotPete on November 17, 2009 at 1:28 PM