Shea-Porter puts the mandate in health-insurance mandates

posted at 2:22 pm on November 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The common joke about statism is that it makes all allowable behavior mandatory — and bans everything else. Democrats certainly have adopted that approach when it comes to the overhaul of the American health-care system. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter told local constituents that the federal government should absolutely dictate to American residents that they “must” buy health insurance (via Now Hampshire):

The Alton Board of Selectmen invited Shea-Porter to an informal public forum to allow her to address concerns about the issues that have been boiling in the U.S. House of Representatives recently. While the selectmen touched upon state infrastructure, it was health care that really stirred up the crowd on Friday morning. …

Shea-Porter said those who have health insurance currently are fortunate to have it since many people are denied because of illness or various other reasons.

“I think when you can pay for insurance, you must,” said Shea-Porter. “For those who are blessed to have insurance through their companies, they should keep it.”

She suggested that those in attendance look back to where the country was last year and where it is now. She also said the new health care bill will make it better for senior citizens in need.

Er, what? Senior citizens already have access to Medicare, and the needy already have eligibility for Medicaid.  In fact, the situation for those cases won’t change at all, unless one considers the $500 billion in Medicare cuts that Shea-Porter voted to impose.  Those cuts will actually make it worse for senior citizens, not better, as they rob Medicare of money it doesn’t have in order to cover a broader range of people above 133% of the poverty line, the current cut-off for Medicaid. It certainly doesn’t boost Medicare benefits.

But that’s the kind of Orwellian nonsense one expects from a bill that brings 1984 to life in 2009.  Big Brother doesn’t just suggest that you buy health insurance; Big Brother demands that you do your patriotic duty.  If something is allowable by the statists, it’s mandatory, after all.

But from where does Shea-Porter think that she has the power to dictate that to American citizens?  Don’t forget what Shea-Porter had to say about the Constitution in August:

No, the Constitution didn’t cover everything, nor did it pretend to do so.  That’s why the framers included the Tenth Amendment — to circumscribe the power of Congress and ensure that the states and the people retained jurisdiction over their own choices and property.  The Tenth Amendment was a feature, not a bug, to put it in modern terms.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You guys are so mean that is someone’s mom and sister.

Growfins’ mom

Simplesimon’s sister

CWforFreedom on November 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Are you REALLY sure it isn’t a converted DAD?

flyoverboy on November 14, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Utterly asinine.

Metro on November 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I didn’t realize Helen Thomas took one of those glamor photos…

Seven Percent Solution on November 14, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Etymology of Nancy Pelosi:

Main Entry: Nancy Pelosi

Pronunciation: \,nan-cee’ –pee,-low-‘see\

Function: noun

Etymology: Russian, Stalinism, Maoism & Marxism, from Joseph Stalin, Stalinist-Revolution

Date: 19th century

1 : An extremely liberal, corrupt, power-hungry, narcissistic and goony politician.

2 : An utterly wack, foolish and nuggety Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Synonyms: Harry Reid, AstroTurf, dense, asinine, brainless, thick-headed, nonsensical, half-baked, moronic, naïve, obtuse, funky, gross, oddball, peculiar, freakish, grotty, kooky, weird.

Antonyms: Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, intelligent, reasonable, honest, trustworthy, good, nice, pleasing, wise, open-minded, fascinating, incredible.

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:34 PM

What is it with women on the left? They all look like they were cast from the Janet Reno mold.

Fugly is far from descriptive enough.

The sad thing is that these “women” constantly channel their “inner skanks”, and they wield far more power than they have a right to. I know, I know, it’s all a product of the vast left-wing conspiracy.

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM

We really should pray for Obama: Psalms 109:8

boomer on November 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Now, now. At least she shaved her mustache.

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Take off the hair and I see Mini-Me.

boomer on November 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM

boomer on November 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Cross References:

Psalm 55:23 But You, O God, will bring them down to the pit of destruction; Men of bloodshed and deceit will not live out half their days. But I will trust in You.

Acts 1:20 “For it is written in the book of Psalms, ‘LET HIS HOMESTEAD BE MADE DESOLATE, AND LET NO ONE DWELL IN IT’; and, ‘LET ANOTHER MAN TAKE HIS OFFICE.’

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Now, now. At least she shaved her mustache.

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM

She kind of reminds me of that old “Ed Zachary disease” joke. Google it if you haven’t heard it.

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Here’s a link:

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

LOL! :)

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Here’s a link:

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Excellent!!! LMAO

flyoverboy on November 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Does Shea porter remind anybody of Tony Sopranos mother?
What kind of person would try to have her son wacked?
I tell you who ….. Shea f&&cking porter

kangjie on November 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

If I was one of those prophecy types I’d say “Oh no D.C. is getting nuked” but, I’m not.

boomer on November 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM

This woman is a complete idiot. her own staffers are saying behind her back that she’s unhinged.

dogsoldier on November 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Speaking of ugly chicks, My rottweiler/lab got totally ass clowned by a pug mix today at the dog park. Embarrassing if you know what I’m sayin. I have been to soft on the dog since I got her 4 years ago and I guess you reap what you sow.
She would be a great government worker, sleeps maybe 22 hours a days and won’t eat dog food unless I add real meat to it. Get’s really pissy if she doesn’t get her biscuit at night to. She will pretend like she guards the house while I’m gone but I know she goes over to my neighbors and hangs out with them when I’m gone.
I though I was getting a warrior but ended up getting the laziest slob dog of all time.

kangjie on November 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I especially like that last part. What else can we do?

gina4 on November 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM

gina4 on November 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I am so glad tomorrow is Gottesdienst (Divine Service}.

Philippians 4:13 (King James Version)

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Big dinner in West Point tomorrow. Heineman, Johanns, Fortenberry, etc.

yoda on November 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Is it just me or are liberal women ugly as dog breath?

Hummer53 on November 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Is it just me or are liberal women ugly as dog breath?

Hummer53 on November 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM

The breath from which end of the dog?

UltimateBob on November 15, 2009 at 12:20 AM

oh I’m sorry. I thought that was the woman attacked by the chimp. My bad.

johnnyU on November 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Shea-Porter is what you get when a blind skunk rapes a fart.

nelsonknows on November 15, 2009 at 3:11 AM

She looks better in this photo from 2007:

albill on November 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM

She looks better in this photo from 2007:

albill on November 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM

That’s a pretty nasty fall in a short time. Will everyone who believes in Obama shrivel up like that?

Squiggy on November 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Specious Reasoning at it’s Best.

Irenaeus on November 15, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I am gonna need a designated everything for the 2010 elections

the snoopy dance may actually have me levitating like the mythical balloon boy I will be so happy to see these TOOLZ and FOOLZ sent home

ginaswo on November 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

ginaswo on November 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I’ll be dancing right next to you :-)

cmsinaz on November 15, 2009 at 9:15 AM

She’s more butch-looking than Richard Simmons.

SagebrushPuppet on November 15, 2009 at 9:46 AM

SagebrushPuppet on November 15, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Perez Hilton is more butch looking the Richard Simmons…

Wolftech on November 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM

NightmareOnKStreet on November 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM

a-frickin’ men!
as a resident of the 1st congressional dist. of NH, my apologies. I did not vote for this woman, che-porter, and G-d willing, she will be expunged next year. My letter describing her ignorance and inability to understand simple constitutional principles is being written at this moment.
G-d save this nation from the abundance of stupid people that have the reighs of power at this moment.

rslancer14
on November 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Like you said, you didn’t vote for her. Good that you’re writing to her to make your voice heard. Most of them seem to be blind and deaf to their constituents. Hopefully if enough people raise hell they’ll develope a healthy fear.
“When people fear their government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is democracy.”

NightmareOnKStreet on November 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Church Lady?

SJBill on November 15, 2009 at 1:18 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on November 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM

AMEN

flyoverboy on November 15, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I think she wants to punish us all because she is so ugly.

tinkerthinker on November 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I told you the democrats would betray our nation
I told you the liberals are TRAITORS
I told you these people are communists
I told you these people will JAIL all of us americans

But ohh no…
you liberal idiots had to give these theives, communists , at least a few islamic sympathyzers in congress all of the keys to the vault, our military and the police…

Also you gave them complete control over the news media
and now your suddendly so shocked that
these democrats and liberals are so quickly turning into
nazis and stalinists..

Hell hitler and stalin would feel right at home
in obamas cabinet..

Enjoy your new nazi jihadists state..

Im getting my guns ready..

veteranoutrage on November 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM