Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 9:23 am on November 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Here’s a rare Saturday OOTD for Hot Air readers, but this one can’t wait for Monday.  Andrew Malcolm reports on Barack Obama’s latest breach of protocol, this time with Emperor Akihito of Japan:

How low will the new American president go for the world’s royalty?

This photo will get Democrat President Obama a lot of approving nods in Japan this weekend, especially among the older generation of Japanese who still pay attention to the royal family living in its downtown castle. Very low bows like this are a sign of great respect and deference for a superior.

To some in the United States, however, an upright handshake might have looked better. Remember Michelle Obama casually patting Britain’s Queen Elizabeth on the back during their Buckingham Palace visit? America’s royalty tends to make movies and get bad reviews and lots of money as a sign of respect.

Obama could receive some frowns back home as he did for his not-quite-this-low-or-maybe-about-the-same-bow to the Saudi king not so long ago.

Seven months ago, the White House insisted that Obama didn’t bow to Saudi King Abdullah, understanding the terrible breach in presidential protocol that it represented.  They tried to tell reporters that Obama was picking something up off the floor, which the video clearly shows was a lie (at the link).  Take a look at the picture of Obama’s bow to the son of Hirohito.  Do you see anything on that immaculate floor that requires retrieval?

American Presidents do not bow to royalty.  In fact, heads of state do not bow or genuflect to each other in the normal course of diplomacy.  At least, they didn’t until this amateur came into office and failed to learn from the first time he did it.  What will the White House say this time?  He got stomach cramps?

Update: Here’s video of the bow from a reader that wishes to remain anonymous:

Clearly a bow … and clearly not reciprocated.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

I apologize if I repeat the thoughts of anyone else. I don’t have time to read all the comments. I read a lot of the comments, and I notice many folks are concerned with what Akihito thought about this.

I don’t care what the figurehead of Japan thought. What worries me is what other world leaders see in Obama’s bowing to tyrants and figureheads. If they see pushover willing to bow the important American office to anyone, then they’ll be more apt to try to push us around.

Barack Obama is an idiot. The Obamas have no class. Just this week, his wife wore a bright blue quilted blanket to a Veterans’ Day memorial, and now O is bowing to an emperor.

His bowing says a lot about him. I wonder if he thinks people should bow to him.

I’ll tell you this. I bow to NO ONE except my God and his Savior. NO ONE. I cringe when I see Americans bow and kiss rings and the like to any human being.

I can’t forgive Obama for this, especially now that he’s done it twice. I was pissed off when I saw George W. Bush holding hands with that creepy Saudi king.

Ampleforth on November 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Sham Wow! That’s a Bow!!

DrStock on November 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Donald Trump does a lot of business with The Orient, and he does bow MILDLY and he does not shake hands; in fact he has stated that he prefers the bow because he is a bit germophobic (sp?). Thanks for the look in the eye question I had in my mind.

I bet on this one FOX will ask for his input on this. Folks on other threads say of the custom is ok, albeit I am sure it is with regular ppl like you and me; heads of state, hmmm. Cute couple tho.

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I think I’ve ground my teeth into bits because of this m***** f*****.

F*** this traitorous m***** f*****.

F****** m***** f***** is a m***** f***** joke.

He f******* bows to foreigners, but demonizes his own countrymen.

F*** Obama.

pseudonominus on November 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Sigh…

to an Equal you do a SLIGHT bow, always looking them in the eye…

When you bow your HEAD, you are subservient.

This bow, in the classic sense, said the President of the US, and thus the US (as he is a Head of State) is the SERVENT of the Japanese Emporer…

Gee… and I thought we WON WWII!

Romeo13 on November 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM

FWIW: Its probably been mentioned, but Obama didn’t even bow correctly. You are not to look at the floor when you bow because its considered disrespectful in Asian culture. You must always have eye contact with “humble eyes”.

Amadeus on November 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Dear, there is a “mild” bow and there is a slight head thing to acknowledge an introduction.

Please do not look to Trump for etiquette lessons.

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I hadn’t thought of that. I’m just glad my WWII naval aviator daddy isn’t around to see it. He would have flipped out.

ncborn on November 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Was he a “dogfighter”? Those drove me to the edges on historical films.

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Ampleforth on November 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Her belts make her look like a loaded and ready to blow up te**orist.

I agree with you; her style is not befitting her figure and is a disgrace to her position. Even at Ft. Hood she looked weird. Above all, the two of them HAVE no emotions toward the fallen. Look at their demeanor at the Ft. Hood memorial.

Schadenfreude on November 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

What I wrote was TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION BITCH! Now go to the medicine cabinet and fetch your Midol.

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Ask yourself this question: If Rick Perry were over there in Japan on an “official” visit, do you think the great State of Texas would bow to anyone? A real man – better, a real American, doesn’t bow to anyone or anything, except when the wind blows your cowboy hat off, and you have to stoop down to retrieve it. Ha! No wonder the Messiah needed a “Greek” Temple – I hope he doesn’t drop the soap in the shower over there……

Cinday Blackburn on November 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I have a nice response to that katy B!&ch but apparently it disappeared. IT WAS TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION! If you dare go after me again don’t expect me to play nice. I will give you the troll treatment you deserve because you deserve no respect.

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I wouldn’t wish it upon Japan…. But China, tomorrow…. Could we just pay them to keep him? I’ll chip in.

LegendHasIt on November 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Ed, Obamateurism this is not.

I took Japanese in high school and regulars know I’m no Obama fan. Bowing in Japan is a sign of respect.

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Moreover:

#1. The President bowed deeply since he’s tall and the Emperor is short.

#2. POTUS was a guest of the Emperor or so it seems, so a deep bow is appropriate to the Japanese, a great ally of America in recent years.

Ed, really bad move on this one. Sorry.

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

The President bowed deeply since he’s tall and the Emperor is short.

reaganaut on November 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Was he a “dogfighter”? Those drove me to the edges on historical films.

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Nope. He flew the TBF Avenger off the USS Suwannee mostly. Got shot at by the Japanese too. He died in 2004 so he didn’t see this jug-eared fool become president. He would have freaked out, as should we, to see any US President bow to any king, queen, emperor, or pope.

ncborn on November 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Obowma-gate II!

That didn’t take long.

We have to endure how many more years of this sh*t?

Sweet_Thang on November 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I have a big problem with Obama doing this, and too many other things to count. He’s a miserable president. But I have a bigger problem with those who think he can do no wrong. Those who apologize for his every screw up. In other words, his enablers. We can make a lot of this go away in 2010 and finish it in 2012.

o

donh525 on November 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

“I took Japanese in highschool”

Hmmm…. I did not realize Highschool Japanese correctly teaches all the proper protocols of bowing. Not a chance that you might have been given an overly simplistic understand of the practice?

Sackett on November 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM

He’s just bowing because he thinks we still need to apologize to them for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Our spineless leader is such an inspiration.

Scrappy on November 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Did Bush do this? Did Clinton? Some one fill me in.

donh525 on November 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Well, this is unprecedented — there’s never been any US president or representative who would so abase himself and us before other heads of state. Bowing is simply not in any way part of our tradition or culture. It’s not a common sign of respect or greeting here, it’s not taught as such in our public schools — except for karate or judo or part of a ‘cultural awareness’ lesson.

So why does ObamAyres automatically go in to Deep Bowing Mode whenever he meets royalty even though he must know it is Just Not Done? Hint: early training — and not in the US.

starboardhelm on November 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Caption contest?

Akihito: Yes, you do have a bald spot there . . .

or

This is not a bow. The president was actually mooning someone just off-camera.

starboardhelm on November 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

It looks like this video will need an update…

Seven Percent Solution on November 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Maybe you should have taken a course in ‘American’ instead.
The American President is not supposed to bow to ANYONE. A slight incline of the head is all that protocol and 230 years of tradition allows.

YOU should bow to people in Japan. Even I might do it if I was in a generous mood. Hillary can bow, Senators etc can bow if they wish. The President; NEVER.

LegendHasIt on November 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Caption contest? starboardhelm on November 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

How about….
Don’t look now but is you’re wife levitating?

donh525 on November 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Ed, really bad move on this one. Sorry.

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

No, YOU’RE totally, completely, fundamentally wrong and ignorant. Everything you posted is either factually wrong or gibberish.

Bowing has nothing to do with physical height: it’s about status and deference while asserting your purpose and relationship to the other person.

Go back to school……….

Janos Hunyadi on November 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Funny, I can’t get my dog to bow and shake at the same time. Maybe Obama could give me some tips?

Captain America on November 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM

While I can see calling attention to his communist, Marxist, Lenninist, Maoist and Half-wittedness – why say anything about being half black? That’s insulting, especially after watching Glenn Beck with black conservatives. They seemed pretty damned American and westernized to me.

CarolynM on November 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM

There are a lot of people who are black or half black and half white that are as American in their values as anyone in America. They sought out the values and education that provide success. They live in nice neighborhoods and have good jobs. Their kids go to good schools and generally are very successful, not because they are in a better school, but because their parents insure they know they expect them to be. I can say that because I am a teacher who has had many black students that I have admired.

I feel sorry for them to have a president that could have represent them in a proud way, but instead represents those who look for a master to take care of them. I guess that is no surprise since as a community organizer his goal was to get more from the master for them.

Franklyn on November 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM

The President bowed deeply since he’s tall and the Emperor is short.

Naw, he had to fart and that was the only way to get it out.

Franklyn on November 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM

This kind of crap should prove to the dimwits that everything Obama has done is INTENTIONAL!!!! He does not give a $hit about our country, and he will do everything that he can to destroy America.

mobydutch on November 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM

D’oh!

—–
didn’t someone give him a heads up about this?

cripes!

cmsinaz on November 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM

didn’t someone give him a heads up about this?

cripes!

Yes, of course they did. But sadly for us, he wasn’t able to learn from his mistake.

dougwinship on November 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Maybe you should have taken a course in ‘American’ instead.

LegendHasIt on November 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

AND whats worse is he did it incorrectly. Obama was looking at the ground during the bow which is disrespectful. I did not take a Japanise course in highschool so you got me there but I did live Japan.

Amadeus on November 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

If the CinC bows to the Emperor of Japan, do all of those under his command also have to bow?

Just asking?

29Victor on November 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Well, I have a BA in Japanese language and culture… I might be able to say a few words on this.

First, the bow was overdone. I can’t speak to the ‘head up’ vs. ‘head down’ issue, but I’ll note that Obama bowed correctly from what I was taught in school (by native Japanese professors on all sides).

At least, the actual bow itself was correct. It was the incorrect bow for the situation, because _no one_ should bow like that to an equal. In fact, from what I’ve seen, the Heisei Emperor was somewhat taken aback by it; his bow (and there was one on his side) was the bow you make to an equal.

Another issue is that this denigrated not only the US, but the Japanese are nothing if not subtle. A bow that deep, when it was totally out of place and uncalled for, would be an insult between two Japanese.

At least, that’s what I’ve been told. Ironic overstatement is the best way to insult someone in Japan that I know of.

Scott H on November 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

President Barack Hussein Obama has a weak spring for a spine. After he deeply bowed, in his trademark subservient manner, he kept on bowing.

*boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing*

That or he’s a bobble-head mannequin.

meh. He’s a feckless tool. I’ll just go with Barack Hussein Obama is actually just altogether spineless and still performing his subservient apology tour shtick.

SilverStar830 on November 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

ProudPalinFan on November 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM

What,pray tell, is your problem? Your comment? My reply? That failing grade from the Walmart School of Charm?

katy the mean old lady on November 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Mrs C Space is appalled. Clues, these people have not one. Time for some haiku?

President bows low
Hiro and wife embarrased
Sushi on his shoe?

curved space on November 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Rooster Fish!

Mirimichi on November 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM

What’s the over under that he was doing this and so much to wash over the Saudi bow?

- The Cat

P.S. He nods his head while he talks he looks like a Japanese girl.

MirCat on November 14, 2009 at 5:36 PM

That’s my understanding, too. It really does remind me of Michelle’s overfamiliarity gesture with the Queen. The Queen overlooked it. She’s not so hung up about protocol these days. I presume that Obama’s misstep will be overlooked along the same lines.

But it did appear to be a clumsy attempt at best, and actually revealed a lack of sophistication.

AnninCA on November 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Guess I have a different take on the whole bowing thing. If bowing cultures believe that the bow is initiated by the bower in recognition of a greater level of achieved individual position of authority by the bowee, then this President should be bowing to just about everyone right down to ground. IMHO, Barack Obama’s experience level is akin to the freckle on the posterior side of paramecium.

wordsmithy2009 on November 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Ohhhhdude!

That “Obamateurism” banner is hilarious. You need to get one that has him going from full erect, down to full bow with interchangeable world leaders standing in front of him.

Bow to Mao
Bow to Stalin
Bow to Akihito
Bow to Abdullah

Have Obama bow to you too~~!!

ted c on November 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Caption contest?

Emperor Akahito whispering, “Barry, I’m not Larry Sinclair.”

Ampleforth on November 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM

wordsmithy2009 on November 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM

My understanding…

The correct bow would have been looking at the other person, no lower than the other person (same angle of incline, not depth), and initiated TOGETHER…. IF this was to an Equal.

This bow was subservient…

At least thats what I learned when I took Kendo classes a few years ago….

Romeo13 on November 14, 2009 at 6:08 PM

While I believe that Obama is certainly not above a subtle-yet-in-your-face insult, a la the flipping off events, I’m not buying it here.
He is neither smart enough, nor knowledgeable enough, to have come up with this one. He may have insulted the Emperor inadvertently as some are suggesting, but there was no intent here… of any kind, which is why it was so pathetic.

dougwinship on November 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM

You know what I don’t get, with his amazing ego Barry is still so eager to grovel. Wouldn’t you think his attitude would be more like “Bow to ME, inferior mortals!”?

Rosmerta on November 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I think we’re all being wayyyy too hard on the President.

He wasn’t demonstrating his complete ignorance of international protocol, he was clearly demonstrating this, http://www.ehow.com/video_4942091_nontraditional-pilates-drinking-bird.html, great pilates move for the Emperor and Empress.

mizzoujgrad on November 14, 2009 at 6:42 PM

The President of the United States of America does not bow to Emperor of Japan nor to the Saudi King nor to mickey mouse.This is a disgrace and show what a real fool he is.

thmcbb on November 14, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Bush Sr. got it right; the only time a US president should bow like that is when you’re throwing up in their lap.

Noel on November 14, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Just goes to show you can take the Chicago thug out of the street but no matter of grooming or education provides the class that only comes from being a decent human being.

highhopes on November 14, 2009 at 6:54 PM

As General Zod would say You are not the President. No one who leads so many could possibly bow so quickly.

borg on November 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Lots of comments to read here, but in case no one else posted this, Mark Steyn refers to ObaMao as America’s super-bower.

onlineanalyst on November 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Slide show of world leaders bowing to emperor…

Oh, wait.

Drained Brain on November 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Cheney didn’t bow.

Wethal on November 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Drained Brain on November 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM

What a dope!

yoda on November 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Maybe ObaMao thought that he was in a dress rehearsal for “The King and I,” er, “The Emperor and I. After all, ObaMao is really a fan of political theater.

onlineanalyst on November 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Obama to Emperor, “Wow, your shoes are so shiney, if you were standing a bit closer to the Empress I could look up her kimono.”

sdd on November 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM

OOTD?
More like the month…

n0doz on November 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM

What a fool!

Zorro on November 14, 2009 at 7:53 PM

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Right.

Tell ya what, you read this:

CPT. Charles on November 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM

And then you get back to us about your ‘insight’.

And here’s your Bonus Question: What’s going to happen when doesn’t bow that deeply to President of South Korea?

Enlighten us.

CPT. Charles on November 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM

AnninCA on November 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Exactly, this is one of those times were liberals pat themselves on the back for being so much more suave and sophisticated then the rural rubes- but in fact they don’t realize they just come across as a foolish amateur.

borg on November 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Kneel Before Zod!

Sackett on November 14, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I think I’ll drive up to Arlington tomorrow and visit my dad. He slogged through the jungles of New Guinea and Leyte during WWII. That faint wirring sound I’ll hear as I stand near the tombstone will be the sound of him spinning in his grave.

sdd on November 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I took Japanese in high school

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

A rather lame “appeal to authority” logical fallacy.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, what’s your point?

Fed45 on November 14, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Just asking?

29Victor on November 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I don’t think we’ll be revising the US Navy procedure for “dipping the ensign”… No worries here…

BTW, congrats to the Navy Midshipmen for beating the Blue Hens 35-18! Go Navy! Beat Army!

Khun Joe on November 14, 2009 at 8:05 PM

A pPurposeful poke in the eye for everyone who bitched about his breach of protocol bowing to the King of Shitty Arabia.

Akzed on November 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM

The Emperor is just probably happy that Obama didn’t throw up in his lap.

Jimbo3 on November 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM

This is a purposeful eye-poke to everyone who complained about his bow to the king of Shitty Arabia.

“I will submit Amerikkka to anyone and anything I want,” -Obowa.

Akzed on November 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Testing

Sonosam on November 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I took Japanese in high school

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I took two terms of French in college, but I don’t own a white flag

Yoop on November 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Cinday Blackburn on November 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM

–Don’t forget that Texas lost to Mexico and Santa Anna at the Alamo. Texas then won the battle of San Jacinto a few months later and ended the war.

Jimbo3 on November 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM

This is like bowing to King Hitler II.

Akzed on November 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Watch the video. He bowed like 13 times to them both.

Akzed on November 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I want to see him in this position bowing to a judge when he’s brought up on treason and sedition charges. Manchurian candidate indeed. It’s been almost ten months, if we have any hope it’s for a change in President immediately….

Maybe he’s used to that position with Michelle and her trusty strap-on. God only knows what goes on in the White House these days…(and yes, I’m a completely politically incorrect SOB, deal with it)

adamsmith on November 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Obama aces audition for Hirohito-son pool boy.

tigerlily on November 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Obama bowed on bended knee before Saudi King and Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz.

That resulted in denials and fury.

Now Obama bows down low before His Imperial Majesty the Emperor of Japan.

As stubborn and slow as a mule, this liberal donkey is.

Loxodonta on November 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I took Japanese in high school

HotAirJosef on November 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I took two terms of French in college, but I don’t own a white flag…

Yoop on November 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM

My first girlfriend was Jewish, and I still love bagels.

Loxodonta on November 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM

If you really want to get riled, see this slideshow of other heads of state meeting Japanese leader…
…Obama is turning us into a punk-nation…as in jailhouse punks…

tigerlily on November 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Two things not mentioned are the shocked looks on the Emperor’s face at the bow (hard for Westerner’s to see but notice that the Empress never makes eye contact with Obongo.) Also the bow is Never returned, even by her. Based on Protocol, that makes Obongo the lowest man in the room, equivalent to a shopkeeper. Gaaa!

Also the Secret Service guy is ready to open the door on the correct side and “Wupps!” wrong door dude, so he stumbles out of the way of the camera.

Good Job Ganjin.
What an embarrassing show.

GunRunner on November 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Obama bows to everyone EXCEPT THE WILL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!!!

petunia on November 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM

How is this poor excuse for a President to be endured?

Can’t we just lock him away before he embarrasses us anymore?

I want Bush back!

petunia on November 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM

The two year in chief proves what a dope he is. Can anyone tell me if this child ever studied history? Listens to his advisers or is he just doing this to piss off americans because he can?
Then he can talk about the rabid right and how mean they are to him. This jerk doesn’t seem to realize that everyone who voted for him is not a rabid commie like he is. That why he losing independents in spades and Democrats too.

Gracelynn on November 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Emperor thinking: 300 million Americans and this is the best they could come up with? And: Damn, I was hoping for Palin.

tbear44 on November 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM

CPT. Charles on November 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I think your insights on this bow are right on the mark.And the fallout could be huge.

When does he bow to China and Korea? I don’t have his itinerary memorized.

Have any of our recent Presidents wore anything but a suit? That outfit he wore in Singapore does not look good on him.

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Vlad Putin was heard to say…

“Next time I see him, he is going to su%k my di%k…!”

Seven Percent Solution on November 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I am incensed at this man’s transparent disgust for my country. He is not my president and never will be. He does not speak for or represent The United States of America. This person who so many think of as some sort of messiah santa claus only demeans and makes us look as tiny and foolish as he is. Words can’t convey how deeply disturbed this and everything else he stands for, make me. 2010 & 2012 can’t come fast enough. Good golly I hope it isn’t too late.

Miss Molly on November 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM