Gingrich: The RNC’s preparing a new Contract With America, sort of

posted at 7:15 pm on November 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, he says Steele’s working on a statement of “first principles” which might serve as the seed for a new Contract-type platform. Which is super, except that the GOP’s whole problem right now is that conservatives don’t believe them anymore. They have no credibility with the base, which is why (a) Republican party ID is on life support even as “conservative” self-identification is ticking upwards, (b) CPAC’s handing its keynote slot to the main challenger of the NRSC’s favored candidate, and (c) grassroots conservatives are flocking to self-styled “outsiders” like Palin, Doug Hoffman, and Glenn Beck, who’s got plenty of “first principles” ideas of his own to offer them. Under normal circumstances, a site like Red State should be a reliable advocate for the party. Instead, it spent the last few weeks targeting the Republican nominee in NY-23 and today is calling for firings at the RNC over the revelation that there’s an abortion elective in the group’s health insurance plan. Steele himself is nearing the point of toxicity. Not good. So why should we think anyone’s particularly going to care about a statement of first principles? If there’s a GOP wave next year, it’ll be pure disgust at Democratic statism that drives it, not any renewed confidence that the Republicans have embraced their inner libertarians.

Also, how did Gingrich, of all people, end up being the one to break this news? Just today, there’s a new story about him warning the base how “destructive” it’ll be if they go around targeting Republicans with third-party challenges. As I’ve said all along, his point is very well taken, but after the Scozzafava debacle he’s the last guy who should be acting as a liaison to grassroots right-wingers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn about Newt or Steele. They could disappear tomorrow and not be missed. I’m not Repub anymore. I’m Conservative.

sabu on November 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Maybe if we ignore steele & gingrich
they’ll go away. They could take hussein with
them also!!!

Blackhawk45 on November 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Nobody asked for your help Newt! We saw the kind of people you pick in NY23 thank you very much. With republicans like that we don’t need any democrats!

You ARE NOT going to get elected to anything so please just go away and take Steele, Bonher, Cornyn, Grahmnesty and the other RINO’s with you!

patriotparty1 on November 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM

We need to make CLEAR to Fox that we are tired of their re-tread guests! Get some new republican talant on there. We are SICK to death of hearing what Newt, and Rove, and Morris have to say. There are MANY, MANY good conservative voices out there that need the publicity so Americans can get some face recognition!

Fox get with it, or are YOU part of our problem too?

patriotparty1 on November 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Newt: I love you Nancy!
Conservatives: STOP YOUR SMOOCHING ON THE COUCH WITH PELOSI!
Pelosi: Thanks for the kisses, here’s a knife in the back.
Newt: My bad. Ooh that Scozzafava is sexy!
Conservatives: STOP SWEET TALKING SCOZZAFAVA!
Scozzafava: Thanks for the chocolates, here’s a kick in the pants.
Newt: My bad. Ya know, Sharpton never look so good!
Conservatives: STOP IT! HE’S A GUY FOR GOODNESS SAKES!
Sharpton: (In Barry White voice) I love you too baby. Now go wait for me in the other room while I get my gun.
Newt: My bad. Oh look over there….

shick on November 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I official dub Newt the crazy old uncle of the conservative party.

shick on November 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Sorry newt, I prefer the gecko!!!Your old news, old contract that you never stayed on track with.

bones47 on November 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Newt, do you not realize that every parent already has the right to know how their child is doing in school. As teachers we try to make it a point to let a parent know how well or poorly their child is doing. The charter school stuff is pure silliness. Get your track shoes on and run as far away from that idea as possible especially if you’re working and agreeing with the President. I can only see pure disaster. God help us all.

ranzofola on November 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Newt has some good ideas, but what we need now is someone who is capable of disassembling the beast that has enslaved the Free Market. I saw on his web site something about doing away with 12th grade and instead give voucher for higher education.
My youngest daughter was excused from 11th and 12th and Missouri paid for her Associates at North Western University.
It lets those with high potential advance quicker. It was a state program where this belongs. We need to give Education back to states and local school boards. The Federal Government has too much control over what should be local issue. The Free Market will always demand better education and lower costs. The Department of Education is too political and needs to be eliminated.

Ed Laskie on November 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I’m sorry Newt, who you are speaks so loudly I can’t hear what you’re saying. Was that “I’m totally blown away by how that NY-23 thing went. I mean, ‘What was I thinking?’

That stuff about how it was a local decision has been debunked. Sessions and Steele got caught with their fingers in the cookie jar. You were either along for the ride or you ignored the updates. Doesn’t matter to me. You made your bed, now you’re sleeping with the scuzzybear.

Blacksmith8 on November 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM

The craziest thing of all is that Newt seems completely oblivious to the fact that his betrayal of conservative ideology has come with a price. He still thinks he is circa 1992 Newt. Sorry pal but that ship has sailed.

Mormon Doc on November 16, 2009 at 5:13 AM