Video: Hannity apologizes for creative editing

posted at 3:00 pm on November 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I scolded Fox for its creative editing yesterday; it’s only fair to show Sean Hannity doing the right thing and apologizing for it last night. It’s a classy apology, acknowledging that Stewart got it right and that they deserved the criticism. Hannity even manages to graciously thank Stewart at the end:

Good job.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

More class than MSNBC has ever shown.

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I wouldn’t argue with that, but please tell me that MSNBC isn’t the standard to go by.

sweeper on November 12, 2009 at 4:47 PM

They’re NOT????

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Hannity showed lots of class. What would Dan Rather have done?

Steve Z on November 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

LOL, WWDRD

maverick muse on November 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Now, when does Jon Stewart go after the Leftist MSM for doing similar things like cropping the parts of a black man’s skin and focusing on the gun he was carrying (legally in his state) at a townhall meeting/protest and implying that he was indeed an angry WASP?

Not holding my breath on that one.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

crr6 on November 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

If your leaders on the Left are instructing you to fight battles over linguistics and etymology, then you have a problem.
You might be too young to understand this reference -
You say tomato, I say tomahto.
Either way, it is what it is. An apology. Bye now.

redwhiteblue on November 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Exactly the right thing. This will all be forgotten by this weekend.

johnnynucleo on November 12, 2009 at 3:03 PM

If you think the Left won’t use this against Fox News and the Tea Parties for months if not years, you’re sadly mistaken. Someone at Fox should be fired for this.

Asher on November 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I used to edit video in a news room. IMHO, this event (though very unfortunate considering today’s political climate) is exactly what he said: an inadvertant mistake. When a daily show like this is put together, there are one or more staffers looking through hours of video held on a media server. It is indexed and searchable, which means the staffer essentially has a pitiful search engine to use in looking for content. When he or she finds clips which might be useful for the broadcast, they set them aside in virtual bin. The producers view the video in the bin (which usually has no context) and decide what to use. The live editors then queue, play, and transition the clips as the commentator speaks. This is all fine and good until the time crunch and pressure of a show that takes maybe 18 hours a day to product sinks in. The staffers work under very tough and time-sensitive conditions. Staffers are often still auditioning video while the show is running live. With everything going on at the speed of cable news and with the amount of pressure everyone is under, it is amazing these mistakes don’t happen more often.

Frankly, I’m surprised we don’t get clips of a big purple dinosaur whenever the subject of a certain congress critter is the topic for discussion.

stvnscott on November 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Not sure I buy Hannity’s line that it was an inadvertent mistake. His crew had to have dug up that previous video, though he may not have been aware. Still looks like they did want to make the rally look bigger than it was. Should have appologized for that.

Ticks me off when the lefty MSM does it. Conservatives should be classier. Lesson learned if nothing else.

swede7 on November 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I’m glad that Hannity apologized, but maybe we shouldn’t be praising people for finally owning up to their dishonesty after they’ve been busted.

That’s supposed to be “classy?” Are you kidding?

Proud Rino on November 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Actually that was a pretty half-assed apology, but it’s better than I expected. It’s not as if he would ever admit openly on-air that he purposefully lied anyway.

crr6 on November 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

This is the one and only time I’ll ever agree with crr6, but my two cents is that it was a smart-aleck, half-hearted apology.

That said, I mistakenly hit MSNBC last night at either Olberman or Maddow (I switched quickly before turning to stone) was running a segment of conservative sins, and the segment included that completely false segment about a guy at a rally with a gun–omitting that the guy was black.

Fox News, just be honest. You need nothing else. And a quick explanation about how such a screw-up happens would be nice.

BuckeyeSam on November 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM

While the professional handwringers and foot tappers are sure to spin this for all it’s worth (and they should), I am still impressed that Hannity made a legitimate prime time aknowledgement and appology. When Time, MSNBC, C-BS, Neewsweek, NBC, ABC, well you get the point.

Rode Werk on November 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Kudos, Sean. That’s more of an apology than MSNBC would ever have given.

Ryan Gandy on November 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

The reason that MSDNC doesn’t make Matthews, Olby and Madcow apologize for their inaccuracies is that if they did they’d spend every Tuesday through Friday making amends for the stupid things they say on Monday.

Paradox Drive on November 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Where was the apology? He said Jon is “right”, which everyone knew anyway, and then said it was a “mistake”, which is more like an excuse than an apology. He then proceeded to sarcastically thank Stewart’s staff for watching. Class.

crr6 on November 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Yeah it was a really great apology wasn’t it! It made Jon look dumb!

And we all know that everyone gets there news only from Fox these days. Even Stewart. Even you, though you protest. You know if something important is happening you skip CNN and MSNBC and turn to Fox.

I skip over to the others and they are always interviewing someone who is making sure Obama isn’t blamed for anything. It is always about Obama never the news.

petunia on November 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM

BuckeyeSam on November 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM

You are kidding! They are still using it? And the problem is… their audience never looks anywhere else to check and balance them.

I think is speaks well that HotAir immediately called out Hannity as soon as Stewart brought it up!

You can bet that piece of video will never see the light of day again!

I love Fox. And Hot Air. And Michelle’s other site and Ace and all the others that keep an eye on each other!

petunia on November 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM

That’s supposed to be “classy?” Are you kidding?

Proud Rino on November 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Absolutely! Hannity should be fired and/or fined at least $500,000 and/or serve a prison term of not less than one year!!!!

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Love the irony of the rest of the so-called MSM getting it’s hackles up for Fox mixing in footage of an event that the MSM tried to completely ignore in the first place.

For that, Hannity gets the “Rove, you magnificent Bastard” award of the year.

UncleOlaf on November 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Proud Rino on November 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I scolded Fox for its creative editing yesterday; it’s only fair to show Sean Hannity doing the right thing and apologizing for it last night. It’s a classy apology, acknowledging that Stewart got it right and that they deserved the criticism. Hannity even manages to graciously thank Stewart at the end.

Good job.

Geez, they screwed up, Hannity apologized, and you are falling over yourself to say how totally awesome Hannity is. Get a grip on yourself. This is embarrassing.

orange on November 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Inadvertent? Not buying. Somebody knew what they were doing. Probably not Sean, but somebody involved in the show’s production.

exdeadhead on November 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Proud Rino on November 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Anyone who’s read your comments here knows damn well what a straw man is, without the aid of a friggin’ wikipedia entry.

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM

exdeadhead on November 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Oh come on…”it was fake but, accurate”.

boomer on November 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I loved this smart-alecky apology for the equivalent of a spelling mistake. Stewart deserved the mockery.

Bizarro No. 1 on November 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on November 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Are you able to see that footage from two different days edited together into one clip?

The Race Card on November 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The Race Card on November 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I don’t need to see the footage in question to know what a silly issue it is. Common sense tells me that Fox had no reason to try to snooker people the way “Sad Clown” Stewart believes. Sean’s smirking apology proves that point. I feel your pain if you don’t get it!

Bizarro No. 1 on November 12, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Inadvertent?? Now thats funny… They pumped up the numbers by 30K “protesters” and used footage from another event.

There was nothing inadvertent about it.

damian1967 on November 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I don’t need to see the footage in question to know what a silly issue it is.

I didn’t ask if you “need to see the footage.” I mistakenly that you had since the footage is the subject of Sean’s apology.
Now I understand that you take anything that Sean Hannity says beyond reproach. Thank you for clarifying.

The Race Card on November 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

*I mistakenly presumed that

The Race Card on November 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM

The Race Card on November 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Look, genius, how can I help that I have a better sense of humor and am better able to make logical inferences than you? Would you prefer I ignore common sense and become as obtuse and cynical as you, and think Fox did what they did intentionally and dishonestly? Yes, I believe you would!

I said I didn’t need to see “Sad Clown” Stewart’s vid because I already know what he is really about, and that is neither the truth nor humor. But, after my first post to you and before you posted this one, I went and watched it anyways. All I got out of it was a reminder of how detestable I find Stewart to be. Thanks for that!

Bizarro No. 1 on November 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM

There was nothing inadvertent about it.

damian1967 on November 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Oh, that’s right. There was really no “protest” at all. MSNBC said so.

orange on November 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Compared to CBS and CNN and MSNBC, it’s pretty awesome.

ddrintn on November 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I sure am glad I don’t work for any of the perfect folks who comment here.
Cindy Munford on November 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I’m not sure which would be worse: Working for them or having them as a parent.

Buy Danish on November 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Stewart’s response was pretty amusing.

BrideOfRove on November 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Liberals and democrats will never apologize
not even for outright TREASON..

It is good to see this apology..
But we now more than ever must both remain
clean as a whistle – and also not stoop to the same
tacticts that the left uses..

Even though my blood does shoot out of my eyes
when i see the news.(esopecially liberals betraying our country) ..

I am not going out and resorting to violence..
LIKE SEIU or suing like ACORN..
No.. but if we dont stop this now..
I mean throw ALL of the bums out..
i mean every last incumbant
Throw the weasels out..

If we dont do this we then will have to defend our homes
FROM the Democrats trying to take away what few freedoms we have left..

veteranoutrage on November 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Well played by Sean Hannity. I like the subtle dig with the backhanded compliment at the end

“So Mr Stewart you were right, we apologize and by the way I’d like to Thank You and all your writers for watching.”

PunditFight on November 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM