Treasury Department now accepting donations to help pay off national debt

posted at 9:29 pm on November 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, they’ve always accepted them, but Reuters thought that with the debt creeping up on $8 trillion, America could do with a reminder.

If my math is right, it’ll take about $25,000 per person. Dig deep.

The U.S. Treasury Department accepts gifts, payable to the Bureau of the Public Debt. Just mail them to the attention of Department G, Post Office Box 2188, Parkersburg, West Virginia, 26106-2188. Make a note in the memo section that it is a gift to reduce the debt held by the public.

Yes, really…

Do people really send in checks? How much and what reasons do they give for voluntarily paying more than just their taxes? And why are the checks directed to a post office box in West Virginia?

According to Treasury spokesman Kim Treat, people do send checks. In the last fiscal year they added up to a little over $3 million, which was the highest total since at least 1996.

Some include notes. Common reasons for donating include a sense of patriotism and immigrants expressing their thanks to the United States for giving them an opportunity, he said.

Here’s the website; scroll down to the end for payment information. Liberals can, presumably, use this as a way to supplement their annual tax payments until a more “patriotic” set of brackets is in place.

Meanwhile, news this morning from the Journal is that Team Barry plans on “cutting the deficit” by choosing not to flush an extra few hundred billion down the toilet.

Update: Fine words, but maybe not the best guy to be voicing them.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If it was $25K and a lifetime pass on responsibility for future deficits, I\’d hock assets to make it happen.That is, if I considered the US Gov\’t to have sufficient integrity to live up to their side of the bargain….

cthulhu on November 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I was going to give them something, but now I’m saving it to pay for the fine I’ll owe when I go without health care.

rockhead on November 13, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I’d write them a check for my share… Just as soon as they let us Texans secede.

michaelo on November 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM

They can deduct it from my future Social Security benefits.

It’s in the lockbox, right next to the stored precious metal reserves used as the basis of our currency.

profitsbeard on November 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Now just where’s that Jed Clampett when you need him ?

Jessie on November 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Brother can you spare a dime?

Fighton03 on November 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Time for a national lottery?

JetBoy on November 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

We had one on November 4, 2008. We lost.

We’re having another on November 2, 2010. Let’s win the House.

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Any think Barry will donate his yearly paycheck? I mean, we all have to sacrifice, right? Nope? Didn’t think so.

Fed45 on November 13, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Wow! $3 mill last year…..
Way to chip in you Libs! At this rate it will take us a few thousand years to pay off your debt.

George Soros has a $Billion that he could throw in but, wait
he’s leaving it all to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Bill & Melinda Gates also have a $Billion that they could throw in, but why are they all keeping it private?

Hmm? Maybe so your honorably-elected officials can’t get their grubby hands on their cash?

shorebird on November 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Donate to the Treasury? Are you kidding me? Not on your life! It would only go into the Obama slush fund to buy power. What do you think he plans on doing with the $700 billion left in the so-called “stimulus” pot. Certainly NOT stimulus for you!

hopefloats on November 13, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Pelosi, Gore, Soros, Kerry, McCain, the Kennedys, Mitt, common guys, anti-up for America! It’s all goinng to be transferred to somne third world country anyways…

Don L on November 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Fed45 on November 13, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Hope about that Nobel Peace Prize award?

BuckeyeSam on November 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM

I’m sure the Michael Moore, Bill Gates, George Soros crowds will give more than their 10% !

stenwin77 on November 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I could see people actually chipping in to pay off our national debt – but not before Congress proves it’s committed to not running deficits.

It’s ironic this was posted after we find out that October set a record for how much was added to the deficit in one month (176 BILLION).

gwelf on November 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM

I routinely advise the LIberals I encounter daily in MA that they can always send extra money. They need not wait for the extortionist policies of the Fed to compel them.

I think I will print this address on a business card and hand it out.

gopmom on November 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Donate to the Treasury? That would cut into my ammo fund!

Bicyea on November 13, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Call me when Steisand and Spielberg and Gates and the Kennedy’s step up and fork over most of their fortunes.

drjohn on November 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM

The 176 Billion deficit increase in October is about 3x greater than the deficit increase in the last year of Bush’s administration.

gwelf on November 13, 2009 at 8:02 AM

drjohn on November 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Wait, hold on a minute. Are you suggesting that Streisand, Spielberg, Gates and the Kennedy’s actually run their businesses for filthy greedy capitalist profit?

gwelf on November 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Why not just default on the debt. Everyone’s walking away from their mortgages, I say the govt do the same. What’s China going to do invade us or something?

angryed on November 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Leftists always mandate their Marxist demands gift wrapped with the expectation that someone ELSE will pay for it all.

Sure. Hollywood elites, buck up, cover your own corruption expenses and pay for your damned hypocrisy. PC dictates a Leftist superiority complex agenda to the masses: “YOU (not I) give ’till it hurts–(Not I; I gave by selling my soul through my activism on screen and in the media for which I am amply paid.”

Same applies to Pelosi, clinging to her own gilded health care, pushing the citizenry out of our own life boats into the arctic waters of universal slavery.

Mr. Bush said that “the role of government is not to create wealth, but to create the conditions that allow entrepreneurs and innovators to thrive.”
–Washington Times, Joseph Curl

Sounds positive.
Innovators innovations
Carter/Clinton Military PC not simply condoned but supplanted
Treasury Sec. Paulson innovated the US Treasury Czar
DHS and Tom Ridge innovated the Marxist Big Brother/Nanny to corrupt national intelligence from the Top (omnipotent omniscience).
NAFTA deplete what’s left of US Mfg.
TARP demolish what’s left of Capitalism
temporary tax cuts that expire
tax cuts that are not tax cuts but rebates that must be repaid at a later date
Finger wagging impotent warnings of Fanny/Freddy bankruptcy
“Compassionate Conservative” Progressive Bipartisanship selling out conservatism for RINO Socialism

Like Reagan said, “Trust, but verify” double speak PC in the guise of conservatism. Beyond following the money, don’t permit the wool to cover eyes required to see.

maverick muse on November 13, 2009 at 8:07 AM

If it already hasn’t been referenced….

AMERICATHON!

too easy…

mankai on November 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM

I have an unused Wal-Mart gift card to give the Treasury. It should keep them in cheap wine and beef jerky for about a week.

Fletch54 on November 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Why don’t they have a bake sale? Geez.

Oink on November 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

angryed on November 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM

That IS the only solution. Better sooner than later since Obama’s destroying our military from within. But Obama only has the temerity to destroy America, to defy our Constitution and impede conservatism while cowing to the international scene to pretty please kiss his bony @ss. So China has over 3 years to prepare its response to any such default, as if they are not already trained for such. China’s response will be worse than America is or will be prepared to confront and defend given China tolerates no “diversity” and America tolerates no unity. China already has the ability and power to sabotage our entire war machine that it now builds and sells to us. Computer chip = Achilles heel.

Build here. Build now.
All machined parts “Proudly Made in the USA”

maverick muse on November 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Treasury Dept. abscond with all personal accounts of everyone on Capitol Hill, starting with Tim Geithner, Obama, the Clintons, Pelosi, Reid, Rangle, Holden, Holder …

Let the Socialists personally fund Socialism.
Spread Socialists’ Wealth.

maverick muse on November 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Let the Socialists personally fund Socialism.
Spread Socialists’ Wealth.

maverick muse on November 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Great idea. Let the useful idiots in Hollywood pony up, too. I bet George Clooney, Sean Penn, Michael Moore, Danny Glover, et al have the funds to put a nice dent in that debt number. Let them put their money where their mouth is.

Disturb the Universe on November 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

This presidency is a joke. He is far worse than Jimmah Carter. I lived thru those days as an adult and don’t deserve to go thru this sh*t.

bluegrass on November 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

How long until servicing the debt takes 100% of current revenues?

MarkTheGreat on November 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Paging all SOCIALISTS and DEMS!

Time to show your patriotism … donate to Comrade Obama’s Government!

BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOUR DONATIONS WON’T BE STOLEN BY THE CHICAGO THUGS IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Troll Free thread???

Imagine that….

BigWyo on November 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Take a hike,o!

ohiobabe on November 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Little Timmy Geithner is still to chicken to put his signature on any bills. – What a waste… $12 for my tax cheat stamp… haven’t been able to use it yet!
Send them a check for $1.00 – Will cost more to process it than it is worth.

Dasher on November 13, 2009 at 9:50 AM

BigWyo on November 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Wonder where they are?

Guess they are visiting the web site so they can donate all their money to the government.

They do such a fine job of leading by example.

rukiddingme on November 13, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Voluntarily give them more money? Right. Cause they do such a good job already managing the money I pay in taxes.

CarolinaGirl6 on November 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Well lets see… I can give them my 2 cents worth.

The time it will take an employee to open that, read the letter and examine the check is far more than 2 cents.

To process it properly will take time, effort and computer power, plus approval from a superior.

If they cash it they have spent far more than 2 cents.

If they reject it with a letter they get to pay postage, pay for the paper and toner, have someone electroscript an official’s signature and then check it off the list to out-process it.

Why yes, you can make them spend more than your donation and still give them your 2 cents worth. And while the cost of sending includes postage on my part, that is still eaten up in the first person opening and processing the letter.

And yet 2 cents is the cost of about half a round of .22lr… decisions, decisions…

ajacksonian on November 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

F*** ‘em, Let these damn libs and dims who love taxes and spending volunteer to pay or donate as much as they want. Hell, if they give enough maybe Barry and Timmy will pose for a picture with those patriots.

la.rt.wngr on November 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Think they’ll accept Schrute Bucks?

Oznog on November 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I’m going to start buying cheaper beans so that I can send in the difference to the government right away.

scrubjay on November 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Waiting now for Warren “the Doofus” Buffet, Ted Turner, Bill GAtes, Steve Jobs and the Hollywood crowd to get out their checkbooks and take care of Chairman Maobama’s growing problem.

james23 on November 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM

We could do something like “Pennies for Payoff” where we all send in a penny taped to a piece of paper.

Oh wait, that means I would blow a stamp…nah. Nevermind.

Yellowdog12 on November 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM

It would be interesting to see how much the Treasury receives in donations from all the wealthy liberals in Hollywood.

katiejane on November 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM

How about selling posters of the Joker signed by the Kenyan!

bluegrass on November 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Frankly, US Public Debt is a sink-hole of immense proportions.

J_Crater on November 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM