Pelosi: Jail time “very fair” for failing to buy your patriotic ObamaCare coverage

posted at 1:30 pm on November 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s very fair to send people who disregard the federal mandate to buy health insurance to prison, Nancy Pelosi says, because otherwise they’ll assault citizens … with a bill for medical services … or something. Apparently, the occasionally unhealthy have become such a security risk that we need to imprison them for opting to pay their own way. Infidels Are Cool has the key exchange::

Stone: Do you think it’s fair to send people to jail who don’t buy health insurance?

Pelosi: … The legislation is very fair in this respect.

Of course, the other option is to make people responsible for paying their own bills. Nothing requires us to pick up the tab for people in clinics or emergency rooms, especially those who can afford to pay their way. This is the point that Pelosi and her statist colleagues seem to forget. People who choose not to buy coverage even though they could afford it assume the risk of paying out of pocket — and that may be a very rational choice, as it is most unlikely that those people would use $3,000 a month in medical services, which is what their insurance would cost now.

If nothing else, it reminds us that statism always comes with handcuffs, and those cuffs always get explained by either fairness or patriotism. In this case, Pelosi uses both.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Merry Christmas! Put you hands behind your back!

Pelosi is a Ho Ho Ho!

profitsbeard on November 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM

We know the gutter and we know the stink of the street
For too long now we have pressed through this festering heat
All you tyrants who tower above us
You who gave us the smack of your rod
Soon now we will give you the gutter
We will give you the judgment of God!

These will be glorious days
Come gather the bloody bouquets!
Soon now they will gaze on our Goddess of Justice
With her shimmering, glimmering blade
As she kisses these tyrants she will sing them a last serenade

The world may be ugly, but each man must do what he must
Your time is coming, sick tyrants, in a year you will be dust
Now come let our Lady of Justice possess you
In her breathtaking, hair-raising bed
She will tingle your spines
As she captures your hearts and your heads!

PercyB on November 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Somebody needs to get an old-fashioned straight razor and peel the hide off the Pineapple Princess. Just like Bela Lugosi did to Boris Karloff in that classic horror film The Black Cat.

Percy_Peabody on November 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Here you go. Just imagine Pelosi standing in for Karloff. Thank you, Bela!

SagebrushPuppet on November 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Knock!-*knock!-*knock!

Democratic Health Care Police!

Open up!

ARBEIT MACHT FREI!

(One ironic thing, you get free health car in jail.)

profitsbeard on November 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I’ve been mulling it over. I now believe Pelosi is on our side. Reasoning: I imagine at least 3/4, or more, of Americans would be unwilling, and/or unable to pay their premiums under the guidelines of this preposterous piece of legislation. She knows it and the Senate knows it. Therefore, it was included deliberately to sabotage the whole shebang.

betsyz on November 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

So they think they can fine me and throw me in jail, but they can’t deport illegal immigrants? Molon labe, Pelosi.

BirdEye on November 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

What shall we call sanctuary cities for Health Care scofflaws?

Pelos-cities?

profitsbeard on November 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

betsyz on November 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Interesting theory.

I think it’s more likely she’s just a crazy bi-otch.

Palomino!

SagebrushPuppet on November 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

When the US government starts throwing people in jail for failing to surrender their freedom I hope they are prepared for the push back. Good luck Nancy.

jwp1964 on November 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM

What shall we call sanctuary cities for Health Care scofflaws?

Pelos-cities?

profitsbeard on November 12, 2009 at 8:42

LOL

tbear44 on November 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Doesn’t Pelosi know that jails in her home state of California are over-crowded and severely under-funded already?

TN Mom on November 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

“Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison.”

– Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

Edouard on November 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Calm down — these “prison sentences” are a myth: The only people who’d face penalties are those who have plenty of money to buy insurance, but choose not to, says Karina Newton at Speaker Pelosi’s official blog.

This “reasoning” makes absolutely no sense. If these “people have plenty of money to buy insurance,” but don’t, then they have “plenty of money” to pay out of pocket for their own health-care bills. Why empower the government to step in to be the bill collector for health care providers? Aren’t those who refuse to pay bills guilty of theft of services?

onlineanalyst on November 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Pelosi behaves just like a good little Iranian Mullah.

She knows that once ObamaCare gets passed – there will be a lot of challenges and civil disobedience – essentially people challenging the elite Socialist Oligarchy’s power to do this to us.

And she’s already putting into place the punitive measure to handle any “disruptors”.

But she’s miscalculated – cuz this ain’t Tehran.

HondaV65 on November 12, 2009 at 9:41 PM

If it comes to pass, I guess I’ll be heading to jail, cause I ain’t paying insurance if I don’t need nor want it. Irony is I’ll get “free” healthcare in the hoosegow.

AH_C on November 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM

AH_C on November 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM

There you have it. Go to jail and you have chosen the public option!

donh525 on November 12, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I don’t think they’ll put anybody in jail, just convict of a felony, suspend sentence, and throw on a quarter million dollars in fines.

I’m still down. I’ll start by leaving that section of the return blank. When I get called on it, I’ll cite a 5th Amendment freedom from self-incrimination, since they’re punishing people based on their answers. The fight over that ought to last beyond a year, when I’ll submit a second, parsed return.

BTW now might be a good time for the GOP to promise a GOP majority in Congress will destroy any such penalty on Day One.

Chris_Balsz on November 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM

The years have not been good to Nancy, either physically or mentally. The look in her eyes is vacant, ( crazy ), she stumbles and searches for words and answers and truly seems lost. Once this jail time quote goes viral her bill is toast as well as she….. ” This way Madame Speaker, don’t mind those guys in the white coats, their your friends “.

donh525 on November 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I’ve long since reconciled myself to the fact that Pelosi is just bat-shit crazy.

I’m no “Speaker-Of-The-House historian”, but unless we’ve had a nazi or Klan member in that position in the past then I’m confident she is the worst speaker ever.

David2.0 on November 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Every time I see the speaker of the house – Ms. Pelosi, I wonder if this may be her “separated at birth” brother…..

/sarc

hoakie on November 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Pelosi and her statist pals are “a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes

ya2daup on November 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM

David2.0 on November 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM
…a few fries short a happy meal.

Outside of government, who would hire her?

diogenes on November 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM

donh525 on November 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM

“I have always depended on the kindness of stangers.”

“Shut up and put on the straitjacket, ya hag.”

SagebrushPuppet on November 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM

The fact that this is being seriously proposed and defended leaves me little faith in the future.

Seriously, prison for not paying for the government-mandated crappy health service.

I keep trying to put together the words to describe how angry, disappointed and disgusted I am.

I hope we kick ALL of the bastards out, every single seat in question in 2010. They won’t listen to reason, maybe they’ll listen to fear.

Merovign on November 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM

The Democrat Health Care plan will land you in jail! JAIL!!!

TN Mom on November 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Niw let’s send her to jail for impersonating a politician.

MSGTAS on November 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I started out being outraged. Then my contrary self spoke up. Back when I was trying to survive on under $5000 a year and making too much money to qualify for Medicaid but too little to pay for anything else, I might have said “Go ahead: throw me in jail.”
Is this irresponsibility, or civil disobedience?

Confutus on November 13, 2009 at 12:03 AM

There you have it. Go to jail and you have chosen the public option!

donh525 on November 12, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Like I said, if it comes to pass. The operative word would be “heading”.

As an Okie, I’d demand a trial by jury of my peers. D’ya reckon my fellow Okies would throw the book at me?

If they did, it’d be one productive self-employed taken out of commission, i.e. tax-payer. Get enough 10th Amendment-loving Okies ready to go to trial and watch how fast the Feds drop it. Not to mention that by the time it came to trial, odds would be that the politics would swing back.

AH_C on November 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM

What shall we call sanctuary cities for Health Care scofflaws?

Pelos-cities?

profitsbeard on November 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I suggest, “Free.”

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Why this fulfills one of my famous top 30 predictions for obama and the democraps..

Jailing american citizens for the CRIME OF
Disobeying peloczari or Obamacommie..

Sorry i have a slight problem with
Democrats and the leeches in congress
Jailing veterans and americans in general
But calling the Islamic terrorist who MURDERED 13 Soldiers and an unborn child (just mentally challenged)…

So accoring to the democrats , obama and of course nepalitoan the veterans and all americans who oppose the democrats evil plans to destroy our nation
must be jailed for FAILURE TO COMPLY???
BULLSHIT

Come and get me you democrat bitches..
Try and jail me..

Freedom from DEMOCRAT communism
or GIVE ME DEATH..

veteranoutrage on November 13, 2009 at 1:03 AM

If this is true, then jail time is also “very fair” for Pelosi and her accomplices for failing to “preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United states”.

Once jailed, Pelosi will be unable to continue her assault on the United States, so the country wins big!

landlines on November 13, 2009 at 2:03 AM

And a PS:

One GOOD thing which will come out of any attempt to jail folks for not buying her inferior healthcare:

Congress will be forced to finish building the border fence…to keep millions of people IN!!!

landlines on November 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Another idea:

When Pelosi sends us the bill for health care….let’s NOT READ THE BILL!!!

What Congressperson and/or government official could criticize a citizen for doing what they can’t (or won’t) do???

landlines on November 13, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison…

— Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862): Civil Disobedience (1849)

If ObamaCare is passed with this provision in it, I hereby pledge my life, my fortune, and my sacred honor that I shall go to prison before purchasing such a plan.

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Tennessee, and South Carolina are the fattest states – unfortunately also all Red States…..this will play a roll in something, it’s too late at night for me to figure the anti-fat liberal crusade just yet…but I will.

However I did note another interesting fact. If you cross reference the states with the highest % of uninsured with state political association…all of the states with the highest level of uninsured (Texas, New Mexico, Florida, Arizona, and Mississippi) are either red or purple aside from New Mexico. Seems like a crafty liberal witch hunt.

Let’s just say that Nancy would love to put the 5 Million plus uninsured Republicans in Texas in prison……

I’d also like to point out that there are more guns in Texas than any other state….so this could get interesting.

I don’t know if any of that made sense to anyone but me, it’s 3am and I wanna go to bed.

Fishy.Gov on November 13, 2009 at 3:03 AM

Hi, Doc, I don’t feel well.

Show me your tongue.

I don’t have insurance – had to spend it on heating oil.

Show me your hands!

Don L on November 13, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Jail time of you but not for the Fort Hood Killer or KSM who will be tried in NY City.

father on November 13, 2009 at 7:11 AM

I’ve had it.

Ya, know Jefferson was VERY clear on the subject of tyranny and what to do went congress and others get out of line.

Now I don’t agree to going to the extent that he did. But I do say that they are not going to wake up until there is a Tea Party on the floor of The House.

- The Cat

P.S. If all of us lovers of freedom refuse, do you think you think they can really enforce this?

My fear is if something is not done then it will reach a point where they will be able too.

MirCat on November 13, 2009 at 7:38 AM

so thats why they have been putting all of that money into the fema camps they have plenty of new prisons ready to go.welcome to the USSA.

lees on November 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I swear or think that Americans had more freedom before the Revolution. King George the Third was not even this oppressive or arrogant. This fool woman and her toadies are indeed very unbearable. I am so upset with her remarks I can’t even come up with a decent post.

garydt on November 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Tax evasion is different. You earn money, the government asks for part of that money as payment for services you use confiscates most of that money in order to give it to those who don’t earn.

hawksruleva on November 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

FIFY

fossten on November 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM

So all the recent and soon to be college graduates, who have enormous student loans to pay off but can only get a job at Banana Republic are going to be required to purchase health insurance or face fines and going to jail?

ctmom on November 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM

ctmom on November 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM

In a nutshell, that’s the situation for most of my generation.

If it weren’t for an excellent community college I’d be joining everyone else for a massive debt load for what amounted to a fancy piece of paper and another line on my resume when I went begging for another wage-slave ‘job’.

I’ve noticed my father has stopped bugging me to transfer to a traditional four-year institution, finally.

Dark-Star on November 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

(One ironic thing, you get free health car in jail.)

profitsbeard on November 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM

But you wouldn’t want it.
A friend of my dad’s went to federal prison for a few years & was soon diagnosed with cancer in there.
He almost died trying to get it properly treated.
There’s a lot of medical horror stories from prison.

Badger40 on November 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Dark-Star on November 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

There are many excellent community colleges around the country.
Bellevue CC in Bellevue, WA is one of them.
I went on to UWYO at Laramie from there & was well prepared.
But many CCs don’t offer hard science majors.

Badger40 on November 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM

How about no healthcare they plastic surgery your face to look like Pelosi’s as punishment?

johnnyU on November 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Pelosi:

Uppa u ass, voters!

Cybergeezer on November 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

How anyone can find it within themselves to vote for that sickening woman is beyond my comprehension.

hillbillyjim on November 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Jail time would be very fair for the lies and corruption of yours, Nancy!

conservativecaveman on November 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM

hillbillyjim on November 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

She’s from Cisco.

How everybody keeps her Speaker is beyond me.

Chris_Balsz on November 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM

shebang.

betsyz on November 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

You were talking about Pelosi. EEEWWWWWW.
Eye bleach STAT!
Never ever do that again.

Blacksmith8 on November 13, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Merovign on November 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Welcome to the party, pal!

FREEDOM!

Blacksmith8 on November 13, 2009 at 9:35 PM

If you get tossed in jail for refusing to buy into this government insurance scam, how can you ever get out?

Seems like this would quickly become a permanent condition.

There you are, the judge asks why you do not buy insurance, you say ‘I refuse to buy it’, he says 5 years.

At any probation hearing, he asks you if you are rehabilitated, you say no, ‘I am not buying insurance’ and he sends you back to jail.

Then, the day you are released, they come and arrest you for not having insurance and you say ‘ I will never buy it’. Back to the judge and there goes another 5 years. This becomes an endless incarceration.

So, how many people need to do this on day one for the entire system to collapse? Hundreds, thousands, millions, or just a few on national tv?

Freddy on November 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Speaker Pelosi has spoken out too much lately. However, among her most outlandish speech is this one, that supports punishing U.S. for not complying with her ideas that only government can cure what ails U.S.

She and others of her ilk must get out of the way and let U.S.

MSGTAS on November 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM

OOPS, let me finish my last thought. . . . get out of the way and let U.S. do what we are allowed to Constitutionally do, namely pursue our own happiness and well-being.

MSGTAS on November 14, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Etymology of Nancy Pelosi:

Main Entry: Nancy Pelosi

Pronunciation: \,nan-cee’ –pee,-low-‘see\

Function: noun

Etymology: Russian, Stalinism, Maoism & Marxism, from Joseph Stalin, Stalinist-Revolution

Date: 19th century

1 : An extremely liberal, corrupt, power-hungry, narcissistic and goony politician.

2 : An utterly wack, foolish and nuggety Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Synonyms: Harry Reid, AstroTurf, dense, asinine, brainless, thick-headed, nonsensical, half-baked, moronic, naïve, obtuse, funky, gross, oddball, peculiar, freakish, grotty, kooky, weird.

Antonyms: Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, intelligent, reasonable, honest, trustworthy, good, nice, pleasing, wise, open-minded, fascinating, incredible.

OmahaConservative on November 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM