Oh my: Marco Rubio named keynote speaker at CPAC

posted at 6:51 pm on November 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

An easy pick in one sense, a provocative choice in another.

“We chose Rubio because he is an upcoming leader. He is someone that a lot of people are excited about,” De Pasquale told POLITICO. “His name keeps getting brought up and we decided that he would be a good keynote for 2010.”

The keynote speaker gets the coveted 10 a.m. speaking slot that kicks off the conference on Thursday and gets a longer block of time than other CPAC speakers. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) got the slot last year.

Rubio Communications Director Alex Burgos said that “Marco Rubio is honored by the invitation and opportunity. He looks forward to sharing his vision of why mainstream conservative Republicans are needed in Washington more than ever.”

It’s an easy pick because there’s no pol in America aside from Sarahcuda whom the base is more excited about, and he needs this exposure a lot more than she does. It’s essentially a huge, free advertisement for his Senate campaign with all the earned media that goes along with that. And of course it’s a great advertisement for conservatives too: He’s young, charismatic, and a minority, which makes him almost the polar opposite of the standard media caricature of right-wingers. Even so, it’s not often that you find CPAC pitted against the Republican establishment, but given the NRSC’s endorsement of Crist in the primary, that’s exactly what’s happening here. This isn’t as big a victory for tea partiers as a Doug Hoffman win would have been but it’s still big. Especially now that the NY-23 race is history and Crist has assumed the role of tea-party public enemy number one.

Speaking of conservative confabs, who’s going to Ace’s “Hmmmmmmm” extravaganza? I hear through the grapevine that the boss might be interested…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

At the risk of injecting facts into the discussion, he’s also got a good message about fiscal conservatism.

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Good message, but lousy at showing any actual leadership when he had the chance.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM

um…you guys do realize that NOBODY is actually at CPAC for the 10am Thursday speech, right? The real fun ones are the Fri and Sat night speeches that cost major $$$ to get into…and were, um, Michael Steele and Mark Sanford last this year :(

das411 on November 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Hola! Squiddly. I was wondering when you would show up.

I cant stay long but glad to see you here defending Crist or is it Meek. I’m not sure… :)

Nelsa on November 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Nelsa on November 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM

You know I would not vote for Meeks, no matter how much I dislike Rubio. I am not defending Crist either, I have my own independent issues with him.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM

When was that?

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 9:04 PM

This is stupid. I knew the “base” rabble would get fooled by Rubio’s BS. But the fact that he has suckered the crowd at CPAC and Ed, that is just depressing.

He is cool whip, it tastes good but there is no substance.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Tell us more, stalker.

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Redstate.com has had several stories about this campaign. Gov. Crist is not covering himself in glory.

Cindy Munford on November 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM

If it will keep people from talking about Mitt Romney, I’m all for it.

mike_NC9 on November 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM

If it will keep people from talking about Mitt Romney, I’m all for it.

mike_NC9 on November 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Is there anything that would make people talk about Mitt Romney?

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM

From CPAC NEWS

CPACnews #CPAC10 website is back up! Register today to hear Rubio, Breitbart and many other conservative leaders

How often does a simple press release crash a server?

Nelsa on November 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Rubio was a great speaker of Florida’s House. A fine conservative.

tarpon on November 12, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Marco Rubio WILL be the new Senator from Florida.

Charlie Crist can still run for governor if he wishes – I recommend he do so.

HondaV65 on November 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM

When was that?

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 9:04 PM

That would be referring to the fact that the Speaker of the Florida House has more power than any single person in this state to control the direction of the budget and other legislation. As such he showed ZERO leadership as speaker during the disastrous “special session” where, instead of fixing the budget, they debated “bull testicle” trailer hitches.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Charlie Crist can still run for governor if he wishes – I recommend he do so.

HondaV65 on November 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I am supporting Paula Dockery in that role. McCollum will get rolled by Sink.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM

He’s not an “empty suit”.

This Country is going down. We can either fight it or acquiesce. When will we actually support those who share our values? Or will we dither and play cynical while “Rome burns”? We are THERE!

Reid Has to GO. If he stays, I’m building a bunker.

jatfla on November 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Excellent choice.

I’m actually surprised that the ACU made an excellent pick.

Maybe the ACU is getting the message and has figured out that the “C” in ACU is for ‘conservative’.

Something new every day.

Sapwolf on November 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Is there anything that would make people talk about Mitt Romney?

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM

You know, he just doesn’t have a good skeleton in his closet or a Billy Carter or Levi in his family.

He’s toast.

Sapwolf on November 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM

So you’re just babbling.

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

So you’re just babbling.

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

If you call noting what a hypocrite Rubio is babbling, then yes, babbling.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 10:13 PM

BAN SQUID.

leftnomore on November 12, 2009 at 10:49 PM

BAN SQUID.

leftnomore on November 12, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Please justify, which rule did I violate again? Is it because I dare speak out against the anointing of this South Florida Hack as the second freaking coming? Rubio is a hypocrite, he lobs grenades at a sitting governor from his nice, safe view in the cheap seats. When he had a crack at leadership, aguably in a position far more powerful than Gov Crist he did nothing but enact about half of his “idearaiser” ideas (all of which were already in legislation or were easy bills) and twiddle his thumbs and get into pissing contests with the governor for show once a year.

Amendment 1 is a freaking disaster to local governments, that was Crists plan, but he hands his hat on the fact that his plan was even more aggressive which would have left nearly every municipality in Florida in a state-mandated hole we could not crawl out of. If Allah or Ed really feel the need to ban me, they can, but I have been here for getting close to 2 years now, how about you?

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Is there anything that would make people talk about Mitt Romney?

Jim Treacher on November 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Actually, there is: ROMNEYCARE.

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Going to be several good up-and-coming conservatives speaking at CPAC this year…Lt.Col. Allen West is one I highly recommend. And to whoever asked about Sharron Angle…I met her at CNP in Austin this year and yes, she is legit and a very worthy candidate.

DCJeff on November 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM

So, who is your Candidate (except yourself, of course)?

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM

I’m for Rubio!!!!!!!

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Donate, donate, donate for Rubio!!!!!

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I repeat:

Donate, donate, donate to Rubio!

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM

I prefer Rubio to Crist. If I lived in Florida, I would vote for Rubio in the primary, but support either over the Democrat. Either Rubio or Crist would be a far better Senator than the likely Democrat alternative.

There is a pragmatic element to my decision making, though. If it became clear to me that Rubio could not win in the election, but Crist could, then I would prefer to vote for a winning Republican, even if that meant one who was ot as conservative as I would prefer.

However, according to the last Rasmussen Poll on the Florida Senate race (10/21/09) that I read, Crist was ahead of Rubio for the Republican nomination, but not by a majority. Also, Crist was losing points in his lead over the likely Democrat, 46%-34%, while Rubio was ahead and gaining 46%-31%. So, there doesn’t seem to be any pragmatic reason to support Crist over Rubio.

I wonder how anger and name calling directed at Crist or any of the more moderate Republican candidates and their supporters wins us votes. It seems to feed into intra-party warfare and many of the negative stereotypes the MSM paints about conservatives. Conservative have a positive, rational agenda, and are not emotional, angry, irrational screamers who might cause a lot of voters to cringe.

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM

If you call noting what a hypocrite Rubio is babbling, then yes, babbling.

Squid Shark on November 12, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I call what you’re doing babbling.

Jim Treacher on November 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Jim Treacher on November 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Good for you, here is a cookie then for being so very very special.

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 6:13 AM

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM

I know Rasmussen had a good run nationwide last year, but it was not that good in FL.

I agree about the cringe factor. Part of the reason that Rubio turned me off was his shamless mugging for the camera while he was speaker, just like now he did alot of big tough guy talk but little in the way of actual leadership with regard to fixing Florida. I have my own idependent issues with Crist and if there were a third option that DIDNT endorse Kerry in 2004, I would likely be gravitating towards him. But as it stands, I will go with the guy who I can trust to do the right thing 75% of the time over they guy who has nothing but honeyed potion and promises he has no record of delivering on. The nation fell for that in 2008, I am amazed that a crop of intelligent Conservatives would be willing to buy the same vial of snake oil from a guy on our side.

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 6:21 AM

TheAlamos on November 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Please donate to Paula Dockery if you want to help Florida get back on its feet, despite the fear mongering, both Rubio and Crist will do just fine against Meeks (who is an assclown).

Bill McCollum, bless his heart, is going to get his ass handed to him by CFO Alex Sink. Only Paula has a chance in church of meeting Sink pound for pound in charisma.

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I agree about the cringe factor.

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 6:21 AM

You “agree with the cringe factor,” yet you post generalized complaints about Rubio’s character and politics without citing anything specific to back them up. What’s the difference between people dumping on Crist and what you’re doing to Rubio?

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Loxodonta on November 13, 2009 at 6:51 AM

I will get you some links after work today. But on the flipside, aside from providing a link to his farewell speech (when he was already in a de facto race for some statewide office) I have yet to see any actual proof of him “walking the walK” I would think that since he has such a great body of conservative legislative achievement, there would be something more than praise for his pretty words and promises.

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Charlie Crist must kinda feel like the Vichy collaborators did after the Nazi’s were run out of France.

Well … he made the choice didn’t he?

HondaV65 on November 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Well … he made the choice didn’t he?

HondaV65 on November 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM

I see what you mean, but I think a better analogy might be in order. It was mostly women who had German lovers and ordinary citizens who either by choice or not for dealing with them on a daily basis bore the brunt of retribution. Aside from Pétain and Pierre Laval, a lot of high level government officials got away with murder – literally.

J.J. Sefton on November 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM

He’s toast.

Sapwolf on November 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

One word, ROMNEYCARE.

Blacksmith8 on November 13, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Christ Came out in support of McCain just before the FL Primary and the win in FL catapulted McCain to win the Republican nomination.

McCain as many Moderate Republicans go was a weak, naive and generally horrible candidate. I supported him and wished he had won, but we can thank Charlie Christ for the Ticket we had.

In my opinion, We should vote against Christ in the Primary and Suport Rubio to the max. If, by chance, Christ wins the Primary then we will have no alternative but to support and vote for him in November.

Regardless of what we say about Rubio or Christ, Meeks would be like electing Nancy Pelosi to congress, oh… sans the Botox.

SayNo2-O on November 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM

FINALLY a true conservative who is fighting back against a liberal republican for the FL Senate seat.
And might I say, as a women…NOT too bad on the eyes either.
This one I can support, we should all donate to his election.

mmcnamer1 on November 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Note to Speaker Rubio, for God’s sake don’t ever get your picture taken winking or Allahpundit/Michelle Malkin will try to crush you like he/she has tried to do Sarah Palin.

Knott Buyinit on November 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I would like to be the first one to say to CPAC

“Hot-diggitty, dog-diggity, oh what you do to me !”

There are many that say to the GOP, “where’s your plan, put out a new ‘contract’ now, show us your platform, stop being party of no, etc, etc.”

They forget that people’s attention span is short and things change over time. Doing anything substantial now might not apply and may even not be relevant in November 2010.

Things like Rubio getting more pub is exactly what needs to happen.

The GOP needs to slowly build momentum now, get the conservatives to stand up and have leadership come around and this is exactly what’s happening.

If Pelosi,Ried, Obama dont break every arm and buy everyone off creating a dependent majority in the next year; 2010 is looking painful for the socialist, er; democrats.

skicougar on November 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM

And might I say, as a women…NOT too bad on the eyes either.
This one I can support, we should all donate to his election.

mmcnamer1 on November 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Nothing like the old “liberal Republican” meme. Let me say this one more time. Collins is a liberal Republican. Spectre was a liberal Republican. Snowe is a liberal Republican. Scofezza (or whatever her name is) is a liberal Republican. Crist is a barely centrist Republican, the sainted Jeb governed from the center too. I guess everyone conveniently forgets that.

Still waiting for this long list accomplishments that Rubio had as Speaker.

Squid Shark on November 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM