Uh-oh: Jon Stewart catches Fox News’ creative editing

posted at 2:55 pm on November 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Had CNN spliced footage of a sparsely-attended Capitol Hill rally to discredit the reports of large numbers of attendees to the 9/12 rally in September, conservatives would have rightly howled about media bias. What will conservatives say about Fox News splicing footage of the 9/12 rally into coverage of Michele Bachmann’s otherwise well-attended rally last week? Jon Stewart gives Fox News a well-deserved poke in the eye for fudging the footage, as well as exposing rather clearly its source:

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Sean Hannity Uses Glenn Beck’s Protest Footage
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Health Care Crisis

The irony of this is that Fox didn’t need to do anything of the sort. Whether one accepts the Washington Post’s estimates of crowd size (10,000 people) or those of the organizers (25,000-40,000), the weekday rally drew an impressive number of people. Many people had to miss a few days of work to attend it. Here in Minnesota, people paid their own travel costs to go by bus to DC and back, which ate up three days of travel. And the rally did its job in attracting media attention and focus on the ire of Americans opposed to another massive expansion of government.

Fox didn’t do us any favors in using rather easily-exposed editing tricks to make the already-impressive showing look better. It did a disservice to Rep. Bachmann in this instance. Let’s stick to the facts — they speak well enough as they are, and besides, that’s what a news organization should do. (via Jazz Shaw)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Yep, Fox News screwed up. But was it a deliberate deception, or incompetence? Because while the latter isn’t entirely excusable, the former is worse.

And yeah, I don’t care for that “I’m funny and not accountable to any standards! However, I can hold other people up to certain standards as much as I want!” routine either. The inevitable result is that, rather than actually being a comedy news show, the Daily Show has become just another left-wing “attack” show meant to undermine conservatives.

Anyone who wants real news satire, and not merely a bunch of lefty rejects from MTV or wherever, there’s always The Onion.

R. Waher on November 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM

how silly a conclusion that would be, to make a conclusion about you based on the actions of another.

NextGen on November 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM

You libs do it all the time, like do simplesimon, Grow Fins, crr6, and all the others.

You’re all libs, therefore you’re all the same. The same way YOU all pigeonhole us. I’m simply doing to you the same as you do to us.

No, I don’t want to be fair. I’m using YOUR liberal way, and that bugs the crap out of you. So save your self-righteous indignation for Kos or another place you all can ‘yes’ each other to death, and go to bed feeling you alone hold the highest of moral grounds.

Like a typical lib–of which I accused you of being–you acted out like all other libs eventually will.

You alone make my point for me, and you’re running from me adds to my contention. You won’t even distance yourself from the other libs I mentioned, so you’re running tells me you believe as they do–again confirming my assertion.

Gotcha twice now.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Beliefs and conclusions are separate considerations. My beliefs may ultimately lead me to a particular conclusion. But they are not directly related by default.

I believe in God but have reached no conclusion about his existence.

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM

There was no pulling a wrong tape. The package was a produced piece, which required several steps of confirmation before broadcast. It was edited, optimized, named and broadcast.

I agree. There is no way the editing guy has that kind of control.

In any case, it really was a funny bonehead move. Made me laugh.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I would bet that Ed Morrissey has corrected the record every time an error, typo or misstatement of his was revealed. His accountability is unimpeachable. Hannity’s is not.
The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Yes, of course. Ed corrects his errors. The point is A) that he is human, and makes mistakes and B) we don’t question his credibility or “journalism” creds when he makes an occasional error.

On the other hand, you and others who want to see people fired (without knowing what happened!) must be perfect and error free! Congratulations, you’re even more perfect than The One! We must be blessed to be in your company.

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM

You’re all the same. A logical conclusion.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Liam, please stop. It’s not a logical conclusion. If a lib wants to come here and converse and not troll, I think that’s a good thing.

Holding him responsible for actions of people “like” him is rather doltishly done.

Axeman on November 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Drudge is reporting that Obama will sit down for an interview with Major Garret in China next week.

BrideOfRove on November 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM

In any case, it really was a funny bonehead move. Made me laugh.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM

With the exception of not making it clear that the one event was the 9/12 rally and not the 11/5 storming of the hill- where was the mistake? The event had 11/5 and the 9/12 rally had “earlier.”

God how I hate people like you taking Jon Stewart as some sort of a news guy. He’s got a show on a comedy channel. You do realize that right? You do understand that there are news channels and there are entertainment channels. Not to mention hybrids like MSNBC which are so absurd that they are both. In any case, please tell me you are not one of those morons who think that Stewart is a journalist.

highhopes on November 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM

BrideOfRove on November 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM

But will he answer the questions? My prediction: More lies from the dithering filthy lying coward.

highhopes on November 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I’m going to guess that you’ve never worked in the newsroom or worked as an editor on a news type program before. This like this happen way more often than you can possibly realize.

NCJeff on November 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM

That’s why I laughed. It’s comedy.

Lighten up.

Maybe Hannity DID make it clear. I don’t know. I don’t watch the show.

If he didn’t, it’s a bonehead move.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Speaking of mistakes…I didn’t quote the first sentence there…

NCJeff on November 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Axeman on November 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I call them on their own standard.

Last night, trying to talk to simplesimon, I called the people here ‘of good character’.

simplesimon MOCKED that! How dare he?

I decided, with another event, to use liberals’ tactics against them, the way they dare tell the good, loving, and decent people here that we’re just evil rots who should have no place to live, let alone speak.

I’m going to use the words of libs against them. If one lib says something, I’m going to use it against all the other libs. That’s fair. They tell us our views don’t count, so I’ll use their precious opinions one against the other.

I won’t stop until the right time.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I saw this clip and I didn’t even think it bore mentioning. Stuff like this is much the standard over at Fox.

crr343 on November 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Care to give us some credible multi-sourced examples of Fox News’ journalisti malpractice?

And while you’re at it, please tell us how what Faux did here is so much worse than CBS running a false story on President Bush to try and rig the 2004 election, or CNN’s covering up Saddam Hussein’s evil for an entire decade, or that same “news network” falsely accusing American soldiers of killing Iraqi journalists.

I’m not excusing what Fox did here; the editors responsible should be fired. But put into perspective with the real malpractice done at the Liberal news outlets, it’s chump change.

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM

The LA TIMES printed an advertisement above the fold with a headline, no less. Talk about having to do a mea culpa.

Other news programs have been caught using canned PR tapes as “news.”

Hannity isn’t the first to take a shortcut.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Haven’t read too many of the previous comments so don’t know if this idea has already been beaten to death or not…

1. Clearly this was intentional, no question about that, none.

I don’t think anybody can seriously consider that somebody at Fox just picked up the wrong footage.

Danzo on November 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

What are you talking about? These pieces are put together very quickly on tight deadlines. It’s not inconceivable that the the wrong flipping tape of a Tea Party protest in Washington D.C. was pulled by mistake, nor is it inconceivable that Hannity or producers would miss the error since they both look alike. It’s not like they confused a Code Pink rally with Tea Partiers.

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Axeman on November 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Another thing, Friend:

My conclusion IS logical. It might be a syllogism, but it’s logical. And who cares?

They’re libs.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Hannity isn’t the first to take a shortcut.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM

But he should have been the last person to do so.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM

NCJeff on November 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Bingo. I can’t believe how much people are using their negative feelings about Hannity to guide their conclusions.

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Hannity will respond to Stewart tonight…

LurkerDood on November 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Danzo on November 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Why not? Have you ever worked in production?

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I find it pretty hilarious that MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS unabashedly lie on a daily basis, nothing is said about that, yet Fox News makes an oops and people’s sphincters slap shut.

nelsonknows on November 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM

We may never know if it was a mistake or deliberate. Regardless, FOX must admit the error and apologize. Gotta rise above the competition here.

Daggett on November 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM

nelsonknows on November 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM

It’s more like the long knives come out.

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Yep – what’s the term…”fake but accurate,” right? Hooray news!

Hannity is not a journalist and never claimed to be.

Good Lt on November 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM

So it is therefore entirely ethical. Hooray moral relativism!

Proud Rino on November 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Huh? He’s not a journalist, neither is Schultz or Olbermann or Matthews. You know, those guys who spew out dishonesty routinely on that “real news channel”. Hooray moral bankrutpcy! At least you’ll find conservatives objecting to Hannity’s shenanigans instead of cheering them. It’s called “integrity”. Maybe you should get a little.

ddrintn on November 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM

nelsonknows on November 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM

You call them lies when you disagree with the source but “an oops” when those in question support your beliefs.

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

ddrintn on November 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Why did he call himself a “journalist” then?

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Oh crap! This is not helpful. The right is just starting to get a head of steam, we really need to mind the store cuz every lefty out there is just lurking for opportunities like this to discredit the whole effort.

If we are to right the Ship of State, we must first keep our own quaters in bristol fashion. Fox had better start running a tighter ship, if they dash us upon the rocks now I say we keel-haul ‘em!

Archimedes on November 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

In fact, none of the footage he showed is identical in that you can see the same people with the same color shirts or the same symbols in the same proximity (albeit adjusted for camera depth).

Rerun it. There’s a scene side by side of even close-ups that is identical.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I looked at it pausing it numerous places, and it’s only the blue banner shown in both at 2:00 that looks like it couldn’t be repeated. In the third comparison NO signs are alike and only the building is. Otherwise, yellow Don’t Tread on Me flags and the Stars and stripes and home made signs appear on what is accepted as 11/5 as well.

But “identical” they are not, they are similar enough that with close analysis you can pick out details. But the audience was laughing like the similarity was obvious–which it is not when you look closely. All I’m saying is that if the footage was unquestionable re-used, then why can’t you find most convincing parallels among aired footage. Again the “similarity” relies on setting and the yellow, and red-white-and-blue flags and cardboard homemade signs.

Like I said, the trees were the best argument. And I also don’t think they had as many people at the 11/5 protest. Like I said, I look for similar unique features, and there aren’t that many similarities–especially on the last clip he shows. Watch it again.

One telling fact about the last “pair” is that the “closeup” on the left has a guy, clearly acknowledging the camera and holding up his sign. Thus by the expression on his face, he is clearly closer to the camera and not just zoomed in. It’s the same building, so Stewart has us there!
But the last one is a totally phony case of “re-use” except for the green trees. If you can find the broad sign with the long pole in the Beck footage on the “wider” Hannity footage, I’ll concede.

The biggest clues are not the similarity, but the size of the crowd and trees. In the first “pair” I cannot find the flag that is central on the right in the picture on the left. The sign that looks like it could be the “Patriots” sign on the right has big bold letters at the bottom in the beginning of the shot, the patriots sign does not, and uses a different color for “Now” which is not evident in the dark bold on the sign it “looks like”.

I stand by my statement that Fox may have aired 9/12 footage as 11/5 footage, but Stewart shows a bunch of footage as if they were obviously parallel–and the best clues are still the trees and the number of people.

Axeman on November 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

It’s a vast right wing conspiracy!

However, the news organizations do not use tape any longer. They all use massive servers that have video clips and everything is logged and named as it is fed into the huge server. I can tell you what happened here. One of Hannity’s editors, who was probably on a deadline found a clip labeled “Tea Party Protest” Capitol Hill. Of course he probably did not look at the date when it was shot and fed and most likely just saw that is was footage of a rally at the capitol and edited it into the piece. The editor should be reprimanded but not fired.

Hannity should lead his show tonight with a mea culpa, show the clips and even give his viewers a tour of the editing bays at Fox and show them how the servers have all the footage and all they have to do is call up a clip and slide it into their editing timelines. Since the nets went to HD, as far as I know, not one uses tape any longer, except to shoot the actual footage, then it is ingested into the server soon after it arrives at a bureau or fed into the Fox New York Bureau.

Atlanta Media Guy on November 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Yawn

Fed45 on November 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Why not? Have you ever worked in production?

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I have. And I’m telling that things like this do not happen by accident. This is the equivalent of intending to say “I love you” but instead say “I f*cking hate your guts!!” It could happen, but another explanation seems more likely.

The footage was edited according to someone’s specific request. I guess that an editor could have grabbed footage based on appearances. But these production teams work under tight specs — naming convention, file format, output quality, etc are all preset to prevent such mishaps.

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Atlanta Media Guy on November 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, and mistakes like this happen on the local news and other national news shows. Big deal. The actual words they utter are more important than filler video.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Tingles is teasing this clip on his show.

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

So what? The LEFT does this all the time. So they messed one up.

Slap their hands like what happens to the MSM punks and move on.

Sapwolf on November 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Hannity should lead his show tonight with a mea culpa,…Atlanta Media Guy on November 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Absolutely Hannity needs to explain this, apologise, and thank Jon Stewart. Maybe even invite him for his “Great American Panel” one night and go over how it happened again.

jpmn on November 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I’m switching to MSNBC. I’ve had enough.

faraway on November 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM

LOL

Sapwolf on November 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Axeman on November 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

It was the 2 min that I was talking about.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM

correct. They tell more lies than truth. The despicable dwarf Jon Stewart can go f*ck himself.

marklmail on November 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM

They need to correct their error and own it. That’s bs.

You can have your own opinion but not your own facts.

jhffmn on November 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM

ddrintn on November 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Why did he call himself a “journalist” then?

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

In a fit of pomposity? Olbermann does the same.

ddrintn on November 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I was at last Thursday’s rally and before everybody arrived a Capitol Cop told me they were planning for 10 thousand but didn’t expect that many. I have experience with helping organize an annual outdoor event that attracted an average of 30 to 40 thousand people into an area about the same size. I know what 30 to 40 thousand people looks like and that was about right for Thursday’s rally.

AaronGuzman on November 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM

“The question I have is whether Fox tried to deceive its viewers, or a liberal INSIDE of Fox planted it then called Jon Stewart’s show. Considering Fox’s track record, I suspect the latter. I can’t see any other realistic possibility.

Danzo on November 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM”

Danzo, that’s what I was thinking. Fox hires lots of liberals. A few of tem could be willing to jeopardize their jobs to tarnish Fox and to make Hannity look unethical. A great two-fer right there.

SilentWatcher on November 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM

The biggest issue in my mind regarding this issue is context. The size of the crowd was a relevant part of the conversation. It would seem that in that context images shown would accurately reflect that those numbers being discussed.

Best case, it was extremely sloppy work. Worst case?

NextGen on November 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Dang it Fox. Boneheaded move for sure. Knock it off will ya?

Hog Wild on November 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Who the hell is responsible for this?

RightWinged on November 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Worst case?

NextGen on November 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Worst case is Fox is trying to subliminally convince watchers that the Tea Party Express is “too big to fail” so you better get on board.

Or there’s a mole working at Fox who wants to undermine their credibility.

I say we take Obama’s advice and wait until all the facts come in…

karlant on November 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM

So now Jon Stewart. a comedian, is the standard of truth in the state run media?

I am sorry but I normally do not tune in to some idiotic comedian to get my news. I am sick and tired of the state run media thinking that Jon Stewart, Saturday Night Live or Bill Maher are political pundits.

It is a deliberate dummying down of America that I will have no part in giving these propaganda artists any creditability what so ever.

ScottyDog on November 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM

In a fit of pomposity? Olbermann does the same.

ddrintn on November 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM

True. True.

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM

This was STUPID!!! Now they will say its proof that Fox is Faux News. Great. I am so very disappointed in Sean.

artchick on November 11, 2009 at 5:37 PM

You’re all libs, therefore you’re all the same.

You’re an embarrassment.

Grow Fins on November 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Fox shouldn’t have done this, but for context, the box score is probably about 100,000 to one when you compare Fox to the liberal networks in terms of misleading coverage. I am sure Fox would also own up to the mistake.

Also, the liberal networks either ignored the 9/12 rally completely or downplayed it, now it is used an example of Fox trying to overstate the crowd at Bachman’s rally. I guess 9/12 must have been a pretty big event after all.

When Jon Stewart starts reporting the dozens of examples of liberal media bias (including by himself) that occur daily then perhaps he would have some credibility to make fun of the Fox incident.

echosyst on November 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM

So what? The LEFT does this all the time.
Sapwolf on November 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Yeah! Like the MSM and all the other libs try, we should treat this like 9/11: It never happened!

OK, I’m in.

Jon Stewart is a comic, anyway. No relevance between him and real news.

9/11 never happened, so neither did this. /sarc

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Are we supposed to care what a fake newsman on a fake news show thinks about the news?

Apparently, lots of ‘us’ do.

Bleed_thelizard on November 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I am sure Fox would also own up to the mistake.

What mistake?

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Grow Fins on November 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Only doing things YOUR way!

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Bleed_thelizard on November 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Hannity or Stewart?

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Jeeze! This is a major facepalm moment for FOX. Do you think someone will be fired or not have their contract renewed over this? John Gibson and E.D. Hill was removed for doing something stupid.

mizflame98 on November 11, 2009 at 5:50 PM

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Television production? I’m not talking about the local access channel. Frankly, I find it hard to believe that you have worked in t.v. production and never saw the wrong tape get pulled. How about the wrong ad running? Never seen it?

BTW, for those of you who are ready to stab Hannity in the back, here’s a factoid I just heard on his radio show:

If you are on Medicare but want to go to a doctor who doesn’t take Medicare, even if you want to pay cash for the visit you can’t do it it’s against the law and the doctor will be fined.

Thanks Sean you non-journalist you for getting that preview of ObamaPelosiCare out there.

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Buy Danish on November 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM

You forgot to mention Hillary! That was part of her original plan.

Damn, but these Dems and other libs are deadly, aren’t they?

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I don’t know if this was Sean’s fault or not, but he does need to go. He is really ruining conversatism.

flash044 on November 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM

That looks too dumb to be deliberate.

joedoe on November 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Fox News is not very good. And this is an example of crappy reporting.

The other cables and nets are worse. The bias, the incompetence, and worse.

I will not get too worked up about this other than hope that Fox News tries to correct this and that Jon Stewart considers exposing the bias of others.

clorensen on November 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

How is this Fox News splicing? It is Sean Hannity. Stupid post. I hope Stewart does something on Hot Air and their splicing of facts.

WoosterOh on November 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I’m outraged! OUTRAGED!

…not.

It’s sad, but I’ve actually come to expect these kind of embarrassing gaffes from Hannity.

Cylor on November 11, 2009 at 6:06 PM

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

- Hannity or Stewart?

Not a fan of either. Ask someone who cares about Hannity AND Stewart because I don’t.

Both Hannity and Stewart frequently have scumbags for guests, but for different reasons.

Bleed_thelizard on November 11, 2009 at 6:06 PM

No need to be insulting.

I’ve worked for major entertainment corporations on not-so-major productions. I have been responsible for live-streams and broadcasts of 3 major awards shows.

Also, as a reporter at a paper that had a very cozy relationship with a local news station, I have some insight into the broadcast QA/QC process.

But none of my professional experience was needed to know what I learned during my first internship at a video service house.

I am sorry that you keep repeating this “pull the wrong tape” act. There is no “wrong” without a prior-lie being promoted. There is no editing that takes place without a very deliberate series of actions and quality control.

Instead of being insulting please address the idea of “pulling a wrong tape” specifically. How exactly would that explain what happened here?

Do you think Fox really hires someon who can’t tell the difference between those two events? Do you think Hannity would?

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM

No need to be insulting.

Kettle, Pot. Pot, Kettle.

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM

There is no “wrong” tape without a prior-lie being promoted.

correction

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM

oh I call bullshit
there were almost a million there

ginaswo on November 11, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I’m going to do a liberal thing–a la the vast left-wing conspiracy i the same way Bush used the CIA to drop the World Trade Center:

LIBS set up a false report to make Fox look bad. That’s all it was. Obama’s people did this, they set it all up.

It was a plot to ruin Fox’s credibility, devised and perpetrated by Leftists.

It’s impossible this could have happened any other way.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM

This is no big deal. Television news frequently needs pictures it doesn’t have to illustrate a story, so they rely on file footage. It’s harmless. Besides, many in the crowd on those two different days were the same people, anyway.

Emperor Norton on November 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Ah, you mean like Hot Air using the same picture of Obama, Palin, Hasan, etc. over and over as the cover for posts?

Hmm. No, I don’t think so…

unclesmrgol on November 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

pwned yet again by a comedian. tucker carlson just breathed a sigh of relief.

benny shakar on November 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

SilentWatcher on November 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM

According to Coulter, Fox “counters” the usual 90% dem with 70-80% dem employees. I’ve never seen anybody confirm or refute that, so I consider it as a possibility.

Using “stock” is a standard practice in news. I doubt it is as disastrous as people are making it out. The lib media’s going to do that, though. I have no doubt.

On one side you have Hannity running possible stock as 11/5 footage, perhaps because Fox just didn’t have that many cameras there. (Otherwise, wouldn’t Stewart have more than one clip to speak from?) On the other hand you had massive coverage of bogus quotes from Rush saying slavery kept the streets safe and Ray deserved a medal. Both are screwups and both create the Axelrod standard of “stories that are wrong”. The OPC got off with saying “we didn’t know” despite that fact-checkers early on found that the sources where that they could site were not fully sourced.

Hannity should be able to cite a screwup and be done. I mean the other side looked askance that we could not just accept the constant mantra from the Clinton administration “mistakes were made”.

So mistakes were made. If anybody needs me to, I’ll go on Jon Stewart’s show and say “mistakes were made” and explain the difference between acceptance now and then.

Axeman on November 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I was there. They most definitely used an old tape of the 9/12 event. There were a lot of people there that filled the entire lawn in front of the Capitol, but it didn’t go past that. The difference I think we will see here is that Fox will own up to it’s huge mistake. That is my hope because this won’t help those Americans like me who have never done anything politically until this past year, with Bush getting the bailout through making me realize I had to engage instead of complaining my government is corrupt. I am equally fed up with Dems and Republican’s who just don’t get it.

truetexan on November 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Well, at least they didn’t strap incendiary devices on gas tanks to get a satisfying explosion, like Dateline NBC did that one time.

So I guess that wrong makes this all right.

Right?

OTOH, I can see accidentally putting in a photo from a related event a month before. The fact that this photo was clearly wrong does not necessarily prove it was deliberately deceptive. For example, a news editor might well look at the photo from the latest event and from the previous event, and choose the one showing the biggest crowd. All that requires is not understanding that the photos were from two separate events.

This is not at all like Rather’s document fiasco, where they repeatedly insisted on using documents that they knew were not proven to be accurate, and then refused to admit to their questionable judgement.

It depends on what Hannity has to say at this point. If he admits the error, some will continue to believe it is intentional, while some will give him the benefit of the doubt. If he doubles down on the error or ignores it, then it brings his credibility into question.

tom on November 11, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Sad teabagger-cheerleaders making up stories about said sad teabaggers. Face it – no one cares about your silly little marches.

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM

You’re an embarrassment.

Grow Fins on November 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM

An expert on the subject checks in.

benny shakar on November 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Happy Veteran’s Day, benny! Thanks for your service in the Space Patrol.

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM

It was a plot to ruin Fox’s credibility, devised and perpetrated by Leftists.

It’s impossible this could have happened any other way.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM

You must really admire the left, given your determination to emulate them. Seriously, why in God’s name would you want to be like that?

RINO in Name Only on November 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM

That’s what DOES drive me nuts about Fox – why do this crap? The crowd was big enough to make the point, then you go doing this kind of crap. This kind of behavior undermines the entire thing.

Way to go, douchers. :/

RedNewEnglander on November 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

no one cares about your silly little marches.

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Except the millions who show up, the media that freaks over the gatherings, and your lib friends in Washington who need to call us all traitors.

Oh, wait! I apologize! I shouldn’t have hit you with a few facts.

Gonna insult my mom again like you did the other day?

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM

OT-Speaking of broadcast excellence, Algore’s cable channel is laying people off. 80 to be exact.

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM

RINO in Name Only on November 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Oh, it was all sarcasm! You know–illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM

This all goes back to how you teabaggers feel a need to lie about your silly little marches. Ok, only 70k showed up on 9/12 and 10k for that nutty Bachmann woman. That silly fake newschannel you all like so much is just making things worse!

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Your hate, racefan, invalidates anything you have to post.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:45 PM

BTW…Michelle Malkin has a gorgeous new picture of herself on her web site!!! Wooohooo!!

As for Fox…I am sure they correct any editing issues..

dec5 on November 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Gonna insult my mom again like you did the other day?

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Nooo. I think she’s calling you for dinner though! Be a good angry internet nutball and tell her how good her meatloaf is.

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM

And here you are posting about, so you must care about it. This makes you a no one.

I hear Axelrod’s getting ready to give you the shaft.

SagebrushPuppet on November 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM

dec5 on November 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Dude! According to the libs like simplesimon, heterosexuality is homophobic and sexual harassment. Now stop before I have to do my civic and patriotic duty and report you to Obama.

/sarc

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM

The Wrap: Sean Hannity to Respond to ‘Daily Show’ Report

StewartIII on November 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Well, as expected, you devalued an invalid who’s deaf, blind, and in a late stage of senility.

Good for you, lib! You profess love for those ailing, but you attacked a helpless woman.

Good for you! Praise you and Obama for your love!

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Liam, just stop it. Please.

johnnynucleo on November 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM

simplesimon on November 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I am SO glad you attacked my mom again, tho she has nothing to do with anything between you and me. You assailed an innocent, an old woman who has no stake here–just to get at me. Weak.

But I’m going to use your posts against all the other libs who post here.

You went off on an invalid–you ‘loving’ liberal, you!

You told all of yourself, and all of your ilk.

Liam on November 11, 2009 at 6:56 PM