Happy Veterans Day!

posted at 8:05 am on November 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’d just like to start off today with a big salute to our veterans — the men and women who have kept this nation safe for over 233 years.  I have not had the privilege of serving, but my father (Army) and my wife’s father (Marine Corps)  both served in wartime, as have several of my uncles on both sides of my family.  My cousins, and now their grown children, have served in both peacetime and war, and with this generation having served in Iraq in the present conflicts. Many of my friends have defended this nation as well.  All of the above have a wide variety of political views and philosophies, but they’re all Americans, and they dedicated themselves to preserving the nation in the best tradition of Americans.

Another great tradition of Americans is lending a helping hand to those who gave their health and youth for that noble cause.  We have the chance to give something back with Project Valour-IT, from our friends at Soldiers Angels.  Our fundraising contest ends today, so we have one last chance to help put adaptive technology into the lives of profoundly wounded combat veterans in order to help them return to a productive life back home.  On Veterans Day, there is no better cause for your attention, and I know Hot Air readers will respond enthusiastically — as they have for the past two weeks of this drive.

Here’s a salute to our veterans that I found last year — and which I think you will enjoy seeing again.

Don’t forget to fly your flag today to honor these brave men and women — and thank them for their service.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thanks to all our Vets….

repvoter on November 11, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Hats Off to all our Veterans.

Remember the Fallen on Armistice Day. RIP

maverick muse on November 11, 2009 at 8:10 AM

God Bless US everyone.

OkieDoc on November 11, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Thank you for your service to our country. You all are brave heros!!!

Make sure you go out to eat to Applebees today–all vets get a free meal; and you deserve it more than anything.

deidre on November 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Applebees is offering free meals to active duty military and veterans. So is Golden Corral.

Outback Steakhouse is offering free Bloomin Onions and beverages to the same.

Krispy Kreme is offering free donuts.

amerpundit on November 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM

..and Happy Remembrance Day to those of us up North!

CityFish on November 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Gee, even Google is acknowledging it.

(Y’know, I’ve been a veteran for a few years, and I’m still honestly amused by how many people (particularly non-veterans) get Veteran’s Day off yet I’ve never had a Veteran’s Day off. Any of you other vets get this, too?)

apostic on November 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM

In humble gratitude to all who served, and all who serve still today.

publiuspen on November 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM

God bless the fine men and women of the United States Armed Forces…..

doriangrey on November 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM

A lot of Americans have died or been wounded, fighting for the freedom of others and for a better world for all of us. May we never forget their sacrifices. May we live our lives in a manner worthy of the sacrifices that have been made for us.

Thanks to all who have served with honor.

Loxodonta on November 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Thank you to all our veterans. Thank you to my husband (USMC 6 years), my ex-husband (Army 4 years), my father (Navy ~20 years) my homie in H-Town (Navy corpsman 8 years).

The blessings of Lady Liberty always be with you.

Sekhmet on November 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I cannot express my appreciation enough in words.

Thank You.

Saltysam on November 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Sorry, I left out my message of gratitude.

We Americans owe an debt of gratitude to our veterans and active duty personnel that few of us will ever be able to repay even the interest upon. Their sacrifices have permitted our lives in freedom and safety. May God bless them and their families, and may He continue to bless our beloved republic.

amerpundit on November 11, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Thank you.

myrenovations on November 11, 2009 at 8:19 AM

And Happy Amistice Day! My grandfather was a doughboy in the First World War. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month the guns finally fell silent.

Ted Torgerson on November 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Thank you hawkdriver and all of the other vets who blog here at HotAir!!! Thank you all for our freedom!

yoda on November 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Thank you and God Bless!

cmsinaz on November 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM

..and Happy Remembrance Day to those of us up North!

CityFish on November 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM

…and Down Under.

Crux Australis on November 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Thank you to all who have served…past…and present.

My step-son is due home from Iraq today!! (Army, 82nd Airborne)

And I come from a family of military service men and women; father- Navy Cuban Missile Crisis, grandfather – Navy WWII, uncle – Army Vietman, cousin – Army Iraq.

God Bless our troops!

pa.chick on November 11, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I’d like to thanks all of our vets on here too. I’d like to give a special shout out to my husband and brother who are currently serving in the military.

Brat4life on November 11, 2009 at 8:30 AM

On Sunday, we watched Sergeant York, coincidentally on the day commemorated in the movie.

York’s life was amazing. After returning from the War, he was offered millions of dollars (massive fortune around 1918) to endorse products. York refused to accept money or to participate in profit resulting from his gallantry in the field of battle. Given his dream home and a thousand acres of rich agricultural land back home in Tennessee by his grateful Tennesseeans, York established an agricultural college that leads in research and productivity to this day.

We have many American heroes alive today who exemplify the same righteous indignation in spirit as our Founding Fathers and all those Americans who have served America so faithfully in battle, sacrificing life and limb to protect our Constitution.

May we at home be worthy of our American legacy by protecting our Constitution against PC sabotage. I thank God for our American Constitution, and for every American who has, does and will protect it from erosion and from attack. Long live the land of the free and home of the brave.

America the Beautiful
Words by Katharine Lee Bates,
Melody by Samuel Ward

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood

From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till souls wax fair as earth and air
And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,
Whose stem impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till paths be wrought through
wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man’s avail
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till nobler men keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee
!

maverick muse on November 11, 2009 at 8:30 AM

:salute:

trailortrash on November 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM

apostic on November 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM

It is VERY funny how that works. Here I am, a USAF vet, at work in the office for my company while many other companies and government institutions are closed today. If I can get a free lunch out of it, though, I’ll be alright! :-)

ICBMMan on November 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Doctor Zero has a tribute in the Green Room: The Eleventh Hour.

publiuspen on November 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM

…and Down Under.

Crux Australis on November 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM

FWIW, we tend to hang with our local Aussie and Kiwi expats on ANZAC Day.

apostic on November 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Thanks to all veterans! Stay safe, hawkdriver!!!

And a special *hug* for my Airman son serving in S Korea…

ladyingray on November 11, 2009 at 8:36 AM

yoda on November 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Thanks!

And thank you all the Vets that have gone before us and shown us the way. I’d like to send a shout out to Cindy Munfords hubby and the men of his era piloting helicopters in Southeast Asia. You taught us how to Air Assault and we still use your basic principles today.

To all of the brave men and women who did things knowing that their chances of surviving were slim. Like the vets on Normandy and the brave paratroopers inland, God bless your courage.

And to all the women before who were in harms way in all of the “less than glamorous” medical and combat support roles you’ve played through the years; you’ve come so far. Now as you sit next to me as we ride into combat remember those that paved the way before you.

To all the Hot Air Vets and to all of those that have lost their loved ones to war, Happy Veterans Day.

hawkdriver on November 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I rode my harley in the Delaware OH Veterans parade along with a number of my MC to honor the son of one of our MC members who was KIA in Iraq on Sept.8th 2009, 4 days before his leave was to start. We salute you Zachary Meyrs and our prayers are with your family.

I was sad to see the meager turnout for this parade. Instead of people lining the streets, there were just pockets of people, I would say less than 200 people total. There is definately a lack of national pride and respect than from what I can remember from my childhood. The Veterans day parade was always packed where I came from (Northwest Ohio).

Just makes me sad that people probably thought a Football game was more important than honoring those who protect us.

loudmouth883 on November 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM

God bless you veterans and thank you so much for defending freedoms and our homeland. I salute you all!

cubachi on November 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Thanks Ed. Much appreciated.

The fight for freedom doesn’t begin at the water’s edge.

RLTW

ted c on November 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I have a nephew in his second year at the USNA. He loves it, and it’s a perfect fit. My college roommate has a son who graduated from West Point and is now stationed at a base in Columbus, Georgia.

My dad was a Navy ROTC grad, active duty, and reservist, retiring as a captain. This past weekend he was inducted into an Ohio hall of fame for military volunteers. It was a neat weekend. He was inducted with 19 others, one of whom was Tom Moe who was a POW in Hanoi during McCain’s time there. It also included the guy who founded the biker group that will show up at military funerals to deal with protestors.

Our military vets, our active-duty personnel, and our reservists are phenomenal.

BuckeyeSam on November 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I’ll be going to the NYC Veterans Day Parade in a little while to shoot photos. It’s my favorite event of the year. Always uplifting, inspiring and brings tears to my eyes.

Thanks to all of our brave and amazing fighting men and women. God bless!

Urban Infidel on November 11, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Heyooo to all my fellow veterans out there, thank you for serving with me and for me.

Bishop on November 11, 2009 at 8:49 AM

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” – General Patton

Thank You Veterans, your service, courage, sacrifice, and patriotism has allowed us to live in The GREATEST nation on earth…

alexraye on November 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM

My father was a graduate of the Naval Academy.

My two business partners are West Point grads.

In my life I have never met better men (or women) than those who develop their morality and self esteem, in the military.

I salute all our military men and woman – and today I pray for all of them.

God bless.

jake-the-goose on November 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Being in the military, I thank veterans for their service and tell them that without their sacrifice, I would not have the incredible opportunities that I have now. The men who stood their post in the past insured that current members could be able to have the honor of relieving them.

To all veterans: Thank you for your courage and unwavering devotion to duty. I am forever thankful to you.

To all active duty and reservists: See you at work tomorrow!

Rightwingguy on November 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM

God bless all you veterans. My grandfather was a WW2 veteran, my late husband was a Navy veteran–VietNam–onboard the Enterprise. My ex is an Army veteran–Viet Nam era, but was in Germany during the Bider Meinhof(sp?) days. He guarded the missles…
He always remarks how he doesn’t get the day off…
God bless Hawdriver, and all the others here that are serving now, or have served in the past.
God bless the families that have made the ultimate sacrifice, and are missing their loved ones today, either away from home in service, or away from home in heaven…
May this war end someday soon, so we can bring our soldiers home.

lovingmyUSA on November 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM

A huge THANK YOU to all American veterans, past, present and future

DarkCurrent on November 11, 2009 at 9:06 AM

God bless the veterans and those who have fallen for our freedom. They are true heros and deserve our respect and admiration.

mjk on November 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Huge thank you to those who serve – you are truly the heros of this country.

Thank you for allowing me the freedom to speak my mind, protest my government, and live my life in safety.

gophergirl on November 11, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Thank you United States Military. I hope we always strive to be worthy of your sacrifices.

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2009 at 9:12 AM

To all of our heroes, both fallen and standing, thank you. God bless you and yours. Words are not adequate.

jimmy2shoes on November 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM

At 11 AM everybody should stop posting for 2 minutes. Just sayin’.

Dave Rywall on November 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM

A huge !THANK YOU! to all who have served and are serving.
Your sacrifice is appreciated by me….for my freedom!!
God Bless and keep you safe, each and everyone.

Special Thanks to our allies, your sacrifice is also appreciated.

HOOAAH!!

Airforce, Army, Marines, Navy, Coastguard, Police and last but not least our Border Patrol!! Each and every branch has played a roll in ensuring our freedoms!!

RoxanneH on November 11, 2009 at 9:25 AM

my late husband was a Navy veteran–VietNam–onboard the Enterprise.

Well look at that, my reserve command was the Big E. For my two week deployment I tried never to venture further than the messdecks because I didn’t want to get lost.

Bishop on November 11, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I want to say a special thank you to catmman and E9RET for their service to our country.

I hope everyone takes the time today to thank a vet for their service to our country. If you don’t know one personally, find one, they are everywhere.

God bless our military and the families that support their service to our country.

Sue on November 11, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Thanks for the reminder, Ed. The Flag just went up.

unclesmrgol on November 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae (1872 – 1918)

patriette on November 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Powerful Tribute

SOLDIER

deedtrader on November 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Also wanted to add that my father and his brother both served in the US Army and two of my mother’s three brothers saw active duty in Viet Nam.

Off to the Parade…

Urban Infidel on November 11, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Days like today make me wish it was OK for a civilian to salute.

Better men (and women) than I’ll ever be.

CurtZHP on November 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I am proud to have served and honor all active duty and veterans. But especially those closest to me. Dad (Army Air Corps, WWII) and father-in-law (Polish army, WWII – eventual US citizen) and my brothers Steve and Stan (Air Force and Army, Vietnam). They all came home and though they are all gone now, they still light the way.

SKYFOX on November 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM

My husband served 4 years in the USMC, one of my brother-in-laws served 12 years in the USN(he was a mustang!), my web “dad” was a combat Marine in ‘Nam, and my incredibly annoying(She’s 25. I’m 39)best friend just re-upped in the USAR.
Thank you veterans, for everything you do.
Freedom isn’t free.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 11, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I only have a “little” flag-but maybe I can tape it in the window.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Thank you to all the vets that blog here and thank you to all those that said thanks.

From an old tin can sailor.

1921 C DRUM on November 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM

On my way down to the cemetery to take Dad’s Coast Guard flag in for the winter. His Academy class will be having their 60th reunion next year. Happy V-Day, Coasties!

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM

The only regret I have in this life is not serving in the military.

G-d bless all who serve, their families and all who gave their lives defending the most wonderful nation on earth.

Especially to my uncle, who was killed in action 7/1/44 on Saipan.

RIP, Harry.

J.J. Sefton on November 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Oh, and a shout out to my cousin’s husband John, who is a Major in the Air Force. He spent several months last year in Baghdad helping to train Iraqi Judges.

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM

God Bless our troops!!! Thank you !!!

4shoes on November 11, 2009 at 10:03 AM

To the brave men and women that are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and defend freedom, thank you.

To the families that support these brave soldiers, thank you.

To the many posters here that have military ties, thank you.

rukiddingme on November 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Thanks to all who have served and on whose magnificent shoulders our country, indeed Liberty itself, stands.

And thanks to all who are protecting and defending us today, and to your families.

May God bless each and every one of you.

TXUS on November 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM

My family thanks you for the Freedoms we enjoy.

We are forever indebted to our men and women in uniform for their bravery and sacrifice in facing down Freedom’s enemies
and securing millions of people, over the decades, the right for a free and just existence.

Baxter Greene on November 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM

To my Dad who singlehandedly won World War II (according to him) and has the claim to fame that he cleaned out Eisenhowers ashtray when the president was with them on the USS Baltimore.

He said that they wished Eisenhower would have stayed with them longer.. because they never ate so good as they did while while he was.

GoodBoy on November 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Thank all you veterans for your military service and sacrifice. May God bless you, and the families of those who gave all, so we may reap the labors of your sacrifice.

The greatest source of liberty and freedom this world has ever known – The Unitd States Military.

dthorny on November 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I cannot say “Happy Veterans’ Day”, because that’s not what it is. The commemoration is not happiness, but thankfulness.

Thank you greatly, and though I no longer serve – God bless all of my service brothers and sisters.

ss396 on November 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

An armistice was signed with Germany, officially ending World War I on the western front, 91 years ago today. This day was known as Armistice day until 1954 when it was changed to Veterans day.

nazo311 on November 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM

God Bless our Heroes!

D2Boston on November 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM

All my best, this Veterans Day, to my band of brothers.

Star20 on November 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM

From one Vet to all our Veterans and Active Duty Service Members…

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE, AND CONTINUE TO DO FOR OUR NATION!

WhoU4 on November 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

My sincerest thanks to all the men and women who have served, and to those family members that sacrificed their time with their loved ones that we might be safe. I hope that I can honor their service by leading a life deserving of it. And that I teach my children to remember and honor the service of other Americans.

Tom_OC on November 11, 2009 at 10:49 AM

God bless our military and their families.

beachgirlusa on November 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for all who have served our country, in good times and bad. I was told by my Grandad (USA WWI) that doing at least one hitch was my obligation. The one turned into a career and got this small town kid out of the hills of West Virginia and to places in every time zone. Some were lots better than others, but I wouldn’t take back any of it.

Sorry if this violates ROE, but I want to put all you Vets or families of Vets in touch with a great group of websites. They’re called Together We Served and each branch of the military has their own site. It’s free and a great resource for reconnecting with old shipmates and finding new ones from WWII to present. No ads, pop ups or spam. Family members have made tribute pages for their ancestors.

TugboatPhil on November 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Hmmm, this interweb is more complicated than I thought.

Together We Served

TugboatPhil on November 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM

My husband is an amazing husband and father, and he is a veteran. Although he has seen the ugly reality of war and returned with scars which are hidden from plain view, he has shown me that a he is a man that will do whatever is necessary to protect and preserve his country and his family.

Thank you to all of our service men and women and to the families of those who have lost a loved one.

RIP Sgt. David Parson

thevastlane on November 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM

To my big brother who came to this country (legally) at 17 yrs old and called to serve the US in Vietnam 6 mos later. He wasn’t a citizen but was required to serve, he had a choice, go back home or stay and fight for his new country. He served for over a year. When he got back he worked a f/t job and went to night school where he got a few masters degrees. He started his own IT business and when he was driven out by the big companies he got a job in Wall Street from which he was layed off a few months ago.

He was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer just a couple of weeks ago w/ a high gleason number. They attribute it to Agent Orange. The scars of war remain forever. My brother has yet to talk about his experience(s) in that war but his friend told me years ago that one of their buddies was blown up in their presence. These are memories that never leave our brave soldiers – memories they take to their grave.

God bless my brave brother and all our hero Veterans today and always.

Annie on November 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

God bless the people who served my dad navy my grandpa essex navy grandpa ruiz army numerous great uncles. I wanted to serve but cerbal palsey wash that dream away but if given a chance i will fight for my country.

bessex on November 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Thanks to all who have served and sacrificed for our freedoms.

Red Creek on November 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Words cannot express my gratitude.

Christian

sisterchristian on November 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Fly our flag everyday! Wish more people would.
Start my day off thanking my hubby for his combat service. Will call my granddad today to thank him for his service during two wars. My maternal grandfather, who has passed, flew B-17s during WWII and spent 15mos in a POW camp in Germany-I’ll watch Memphis Bell today and think of him fondly. Then watch To Hell and Back and try to teach my 17yo about Audie Murphy ~ one of the greatest ever, while she contemplates ROTC for college.
Thank you and God Bless all that serve and have served. It can never be said enough. One day a year is not enough to express gratitude for what you sacrifice.
Stay safe Hawkdriver~God bless you and yours.

mauioriginal on November 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM

That is a really wonderful display there, Morrisey. You and the rest of the conservative blogosphere have really warmed the cockles of this vet with your support. A man could ask for no more.

Horatius on November 11, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Hope everyone has a good day surrounded by nice folks who love and appreciate them. Thank you!

tuffy on November 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM

To Our Wonderful Veterans Here And Everywhere,

Thank You!

Special Shout-Out To Hawkdriver

Christien on November 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM

PURPLE HEARTS FOR FT. HOOD ISLAMIC JIHAD TERRORIST ATTACK VICTIMS!

Each and every one of the murdered and injured soldiers who were casualties in the wanton attack by a self-professed islamic jihad terrorist deserve the Purple Heart. These need to be awarded to the dead BEFORE they are buried. THAT’S how you “honor” your veterans.

bannedbyhuffpo on November 11, 2009 at 1:20 PM

In memory of my fathers oldest brother who I am named for. He was in the RCAF, a Warrant Officer. A wireless operator and gunner, flying in a Wellington bomber. Disappeared in the night sky over the Bay of Biscay in late September of ’43. I have his ‘O’ for ops Wings and his flight logs.

In memory of my fathers next older brother, a Private in the Canadian Scottish Regiment of 3rd Cdn Infantry Division. Fought from Normandy thru the end, wounded.

In memory of my Father, Bosons mate on the escort carrier Nabob, also served on board Corvettes and Destroyers.

In memory of my fathers younger brother, a private in the Carlton and York regiment, 1st Canadian Infantry Division. Arrived at the front just at the end of hostilities.

In Memory of my mothers uncles who served in the North Nova Scotian Regiment of 3rd Cdn Infantry Division from Normandy to the end.

All gone now. My freedom was paid for by these fine gentlemen. God bless them all.

BL@KBIRD on November 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM

And H/T to Neptunus Lex, here too is another tribute to that Greatest Generation to whom the whole world owes so very much!

LINK: http://www.neptunuslex.com/2008/11/11/the-war-was-in-color/

Mojamaiko on November 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM

ss396 on November 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I just heard an amazing radio interview with a 92 year young lady in Plymouth MA who was watching that town’s annual parade. She served with General MacArthur.

She said Memorial Day is the day to be sad. Today is a day to be, in her own word, “jubilant”.

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I can’t wait until my son gets home from the parade down Fifth Ave in NYC to give him a huge hug. Five years in the army, two tours in that horrible sandbox called Iraq.

I’d like to salute my father, who fought Nazis while in the Greek Navy in WWII.

And I’d like to salute my father-in-law, a belly gunner in those scary glass cages in those airplanes, and then an instructor.

To everyone else’s sons, daughters, fathers, brothers, friends and other loved ones, thank you sincerely from this woman’s heart.

Mommynator on November 11, 2009 at 1:42 PM

God bless my brave brother and all our hero Veterans today and always.

Annie on November 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Annie, please give him an extra hug from me.

One of my husband’s co-workers has diabetes from the Agent Orange.

Mommynator on November 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Wethal on November 11, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Thank you Wethal for the happy, happy dogs plus kids and military hero videos. I loved them all!!!!

Thank you also to the families who are waiting at home for their loved ones to come home.

yoda on November 11, 2009 at 2:00 PM

God Bless you all!

Seven Percent Solution on November 11, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Thank you veterans and families…and special salute to my two active heroes, a SEAL and a Navy pilot.

califdreamnred on November 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Annie on November 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Tell your Brother Welcome Home for me.

Old Hippie Vet on November 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM