Video: UPS vs FedEx

posted at 2:55 pm on November 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

So far, the only major commentary from the Right on the legislative war between UPS and FedEx has been linked to the American Conservative Union’s attempts to woo business from FedEx, in part by offering for sale opinion columns by the ACU’s board members (see here for the ACU response). Reason TV’s Nick Gillespie takes us inside the real issues of the battle between the delivery giants, satirizing the current UPS “whiteboard” ad campaign, and exposing the real villain of the issue — which is neither UPS nor FedEx. Instead, just as with most of the economic messes of the last few years, we have the federal government meddling in the marketplace once again:

How did UPS and FedEx, who obviously compete in the same market, get classified under different federal rules? That’s less interesting than the current attempts by UPS and the Teamsters to reclassify FedEx under the harsher rules, rather than UPS fighting to get classified under the lighter regulation FedEx enjoys now. Why would UPS pursue that direction? They’re stuck with the union contracts they already have. Reclassification wouldn’t save them a red cent, at least not for the foreseeable future. The only way to compete on labor costs is to sic Big Government — and the unions — on FedEx, not a particularly noble effort.

This is what happens when governments intervene in private markets. They create artificial disparities that usually handicaps one producer in relation to another. Often that is done deliberately, but it also happens accidentally often enough that one can’t correct for malice. In this case, the UPS effort to “correct” the problem would inevitably raise prices for consumers, which consumers should realize before Congress takes the opportunity they rarely miss to make a bad situation worse.

Update: Don’t miss Veronique de Rugy’s Reason Magazine piece, “Using Unions as Weapons.”

Comments

UPS + FedEx = FedUp.

portlandon on November 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Wow that was really good.

jhffmn on November 10, 2009 at 3:01 PM

absolutely, positively

John the Libertarian on November 10, 2009 at 3:01 PM

package delivary czar, haha!!!

Husband worked with both–loves his FedEx job way more!!

deidre on November 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Stupid freakin hippies. Who votes for these brain damaged morons?

capejasmine on November 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I hate UPS. I worked for them a few weeks in college. As a beginner the union sucked union fees out of my paycheck and provided no benefits whatsoever. Some of the workers who’ve been there for years did very little, mocked inspectors and when I asked how come he’s not afraid to get fired, he said there’s no way they can fire him unless he does something really stupid with the union watching his back. So i paid union fees so I can do the job of lazy, disrespectful a**holes. But that’s not all. My stupid trainer was whining that I was taking too long to load trucks because I wasn’t willing to just jam the parcels wherever they fit (or didn’t fit, you’d be surprised at how moldable some of them are) like some of the other people (and her) did. I eventually quit, and they told me i’ve had 6 lates (I was never late, and was usually half an hour early, though i did forget to punch in my time card on time a couple of times, though it wasn’t anywhere near 6). Though that’s all still tame compared to the people who unloaded trucks by kicking parcels into bins. all i gotta say is, if you’re gonna send something through UPS, add padding. lots of it. If it’s something fragile, use metal bars for structural support. I’m serious.

Darth Executor on November 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM

package delivary czar, haha!!!

Husband worked with both–loves his FedEx job way more!!

deidre on November 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

“Oh look, there’s the package delivery czar!” Yep, had me LOLing too.

LastRick on November 10, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Classic.

Only semi-related, but par for the course, I actually have a design friend who worked on the original whiteboard ad campaign. They tried to point out to UPS the irony of using a Postal Service music track (“Such Great Heights”) as the music bed. UPS didn’t seem to care. They wanted that track. heh.

somewhatconcerned on November 10, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I am so sick of the effing gummint!

ultracon on November 10, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Stupid freakin hippies. Who votes for these brain damaged morons?

capejasmine on November 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I was a hippie. But SOME of us stayed OFF the drugs before they fried our brains. The rest grew up to be the liberals of today.

Daggett on November 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM

deidre on November 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Is your husband an independent contractor? FedEx ground uses lots of these guys who own their own trucks to keep costs down.

What’s -really- amazing is that despite FedEx’s reduced employment costs, they are no cheaper than UPS – their rates are within pennies of each other to most of the country. And their service is worse. It’s less reliable and their software is just miserable.

If UPS gets what it wants here, it’s really gonna kill FedEx ground.

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM

we’ve lost our country to zombies. deal with it.

moonbatkiller on November 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Just nationalize them, fold them into the USPS.

Problem solved.

Akzed on November 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM

This is the nature of socialism. Big companies with political clout can use it to destroy their competition, thus ensuring that a larger % of money is in the hands of less people. Which is supposed to be the opposite of the goal.

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Ever been to a UPS Store? Horrible experience all three times. Luckily, FedEx bought out Kinko’s and it is far better than the UPS crapola.

savvydude on November 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM

FledEx – What I did when I divorced.

Josiah on November 10, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I’d just like to know why both of them make you wait until the package is delivered before you can request a service failure credit.

It’s quite obvious that when I ship a package overnight and it doesn’t arrive the next day, a credit should be given.

Making me wait an additional 24hrs is just retarded.

The Ugly American on November 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM

The published rates are similar, but Fed-Ex will negotiate their ground rates. UPS will not. My husband’s small (just he and me) business switched to Fed-Ex ground this year and we are looking at savings of over $6000 per year. Because our service is provided by an independent truck owner, we get much better service. He bends over backwards to keep us happy. That is something UPS never cared about.

bopbottle on November 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM

bopbottle on November 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I get discounts from UPS. 8% on ground, like 40% on overnight or something. Depends on your volume.

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM

No, he actually works as a manager at FedEx Kinkos. We haven’t really had experience with ground, but we have had lots of experience with FedEx air, all been great experiences. He just hated union workers that is why he likes FedEx better ;)

deidre on November 10, 2009 at 3:21 PM

bopbottle on November 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM

In fact, FedEx offered to look at my UPS bill to see if they could save me money. I gave them a few weeks worth of bills. Guy never got back to me. Amazingly unprofessional – even if they couldn’t save money.

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM

lorien1973 on November 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM

You’re right, that is unprofessional. Not every manager is that way, however. It depends on the worker most of the time.

deidre on November 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM

The rest grew up to be the liberals of today.

Daggett on November 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I thought that when you ‘grew up’ you automatically realized the error of your previous adolescent/leftist/progressive thinking. I mean, I used to be a ‘liberal’ until I grew up. :)

j_galt on November 10, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Well done, simple but affective.

Irenaeus on November 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM

It doesn’t matter who you do business with, sooner or later you’re going to have a bad experience. The issue here is not which is better…they’re both very good. The issue is marketplace meddling by the imperial Federal Government.

UPS owns its trucks and employs its drivers. The drivers are teamsters.

FedEx uses private contractors to deliver their packages. They don’t own the trucks nor do they employ the drivers. Thus, FedEx doesn’t have to deal with unions, employees and their related problems and it gives them a competitive edge on UPS.

Obviously UPS doesn’t like that so their teamster bosses are twisting the arms of the Imperial Federal Government to bring FedEx down to their level rather than trying to rid themselves of union employees.

orlandocajun on November 10, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I was a hippie too, but the odd kind. I was pro-Viet Nam war, hung out with the vets on campus, etc. Conservative hippies were a rare breed. We had the hair, did the drugs, but mocked the protesters.

Buford Gooch on November 10, 2009 at 3:32 PM

He had me at “bitchfight”…

Jussi on November 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I think you’re all missing the point. FedEx uses planes at the main delivery method! FedEx is way worse in causing climate change than UPS (though they’re pretty rotten too…grrr.) They must be punished!

Go Green people use the Pony Express! Or live off your loved ones that way you don’t have to send them packages…works for me!

/dirty smelly hippie

Mich_93 on November 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Daggett on November 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I meant no offense, Daggett. My anger got the better of me. My apologies. I’m just so dang frustrated today.

capejasmine on November 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Bottom line: Does anybody really think that the Reclassification of FedEx® will Improve the shipping business?

It won’t, but that wouldn’t stop the Statist Democrats from wanting to throw Another wrench into the economy.

Juno77 on November 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM

FedEx always seemed to treat my packages with more care than UPS. UPS-shipped packages often look like they were used as a football in a NFL game.

LibertarianRepublican on November 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Both do a good job, but UPS pays well and Fedex pays like Walmart.

Jerricho68 on November 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Instead of tightening up on Fedex loosen up on UPS.

Jerricho68 on November 10, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I used to work for UPS and always questioned why Fedex needed the harsher rules instead of us needing the simpler rules. The answer was always, “You KNOW we’re not getting rid of this GD union, so we have to stick it to them to even the playing field.” Sadly, that’s the attitude.

RWLA on November 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM

that violence was so graphic…..i <3 ed it

alexraye on November 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM

UPS operates like a union and gives you service like a union. They leave the packet on your door and don’t even bother to ring the bell (so it can be stolen)

they have improved on their website a bit but somehow fedex is doing a better job

what is kind of odd is to hear that ups worker salaries are so much higher then fedex. Probably because the workers have to pay a large part of that salary to non-productive people in the process

mooseburger on November 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM

This is what happens when governments intervene in private markets.

I’m from the government and I’m here to help.

Johan Klaus on November 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I wish they would make a Healthcare video using this same technique.

brewcrew67 on November 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM

LibertarianRepublican on November 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM

And, try to collect on insurance on a damaged package.

Johan Klaus on November 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM

What happens if you take those wages then subtract union dues? Equal to FedEx? Still much higher?

WitchDoctor on November 10, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Can you say, “Pressure Group Warfare”? Can you say it 10 times fast?

hicsuget on November 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Union dues are only about 20 dollars a month IIRC. My husband worked for UPS for a few years. First as a package handler, then as a supervisor. He hated the union. He busted his ass every single day, and the lazy drunk guy next to him couldn’t be fired. Then, when he was promoted, he couldn’t do what needed to be done to get the packages out of the building because the union was down his throat about making sure that only hourly workers did labor.

He loved the job in some ways, but the union was terrible.

Vera on November 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Only $20.00? When I was in unions a couple of decades ago I seem to recall it was more than double that – back then. I’m sure it varies quite a bit from union to union, etc, etc.

WitchDoctor on November 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM

There ought to be an effort to encourage people to “Buy Non-Union First.” Extortion has no place in America.

JeffB. on November 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Selling my UPS stock. And won’t buy union label anymore. They are ruining the country.

Christian Conservative on November 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM

FedEx. True of most divorcees.

Tennman on November 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Spent 16 years there, as a hourly, and as a supervisor. The unions cause the prices to go up every year. They have been going down for a while. A lot of sups that I’ve known have jumped what used to be the tightest ship in the shipping business. I use Fedex for my overnight because it’s much cheaper.

Sanjoboy on November 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I’ve had bad experiences with both.
Living out in the stix-FedEd won’t deliver if they do not have the perfect 911 address. We started getting our 911 addresses & out of towners STILL can’t find us.
Go figure.
So FedEx always says I have to pick up my packages in BISMARCK which is 100 miles away from me.
UPS delivers to my door.
Since I work at the school, UPS drops off my home addressed packages to my classroom bcs he knows I work here.
I’ve never had any probs with UPS.
FedEx evidently hates rural customers.

Badger40 on November 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM

This is completely typical of the leftist, statist mentality. Don’t try to build yourself up to make things equal, tear the other guy down, so you’re both equally miserable. Or in this case, equally hamstrung, to the detriment of the customer.

He loved the job in some ways, but the union was terrible.

Vera on November 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM

This is my exact experience in the post office. A small handful of miscreants who, if they worked half as hard at working, as they do not working, would be wonderful. The same people then hide behind the union, and in one case, the EEOC. If there’s legitimate descrimination going on, I’m all for tearing the b*stards up. But literally ten different managers, male, female, white, hispanic, and yes, black?? Meanwhile, those of us carrying the load just get the work the POS’s won’t do heaped upon us, and the union does everything for those guys, bupkiss for us.

bikermailman on November 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I’ve never had any MAJOR probs with UPS.

What I mean to say.

Badger40 on November 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I worked for UPS in college too. Teamsters Local 988 in Houston had the shop. It was a sham (I mean we were tricked) when I got in that union and hilarious getting out (we are right to work so no problem). You had to get a request in within 2 days of your hire date anniversery to get them to quit taking dues. I almost made shop steward for the part timers but the full timers figured out I was hostile. I was a scab and they were all squids. About three years ago they made the news for not hiring union labor to build their new hall. Too expensive they said.

DanMan on November 10, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Darth Executor on November 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Your story is just one of millions. Unions may have had a place a century ago, but now they are just sanctioned robbery and corruption. Union thugs monitor production so more union jobs are needed to produce product. If you work faster than the thugs tell you, you are warned. If that doesn’t work, muscle will.

Even making precision drill bits for auto manufacturing, you can’t make more than a certain number per hour or your union supervisor will confront you and slow you down.

Unions need to go. Counterproductive, anti-American, corrupt, thugs,

eaglesdontflock on November 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Reminds me of the fights and the same causes in the war with phone companies vs cable companies.

- The Cat

MirCat on November 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Marine Corps: When it absolutely positively has to be destroyed overnight. (sorry, M.C. birthday today…)

bbordwell on November 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I’ve used both and had fairly good service, but better with UPS. And I’m talking about years of being a fairly regular customer. The local UPS store has been great. Service to my door, timely, polite, and fast. No complaints, here. Can’t say the same for USPS. I can track UPS and it is accurate and timely. When it says out for delivery, I know it will arrive that day. With USPS, I often cannot track until after receipt!

My son-in-law is a mechanic with UPS (for just a little over a year now, so well after I’d become a customer.) He is in another state, and apparently they all have different unions/contracts, because his is different in WI than what they have in the Chicago area.) He’s a hard worker, and I hear some regular stories about others who get away with doing very little because of union protection. That’s how companies (eventually) can go out of business (unless the govt “bails” them instead of letting “nature” take its course.)

IrishEyes on November 10, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Sounds definitely like a ‘going Galt’ situation!

lsutiger on November 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I’ve been working at UPS part time for about five years because at the time when I started, they paid medical/dental/vision benefits for my entire family for all hourly workers, whether part time or full time, after 90 days on the job. The same coverage was costing me about $900 a month at the small company I worked at, so I picked up the part-time gig, and it has worked out just fine. I’ve been working there basically for the benefits ever since.

The downside? Starting work at 3:00 in the morning and the union dues and being a member of the teamsters- although the part-timers don’t have to think about the union much unless the drivers strike (which hasn’t happened since I’ve been there.)

In the latest contract, however, as a cost saving measure, I’m sure, benefits don’t kick in for new employees until 18 months on the job. Seeing as many of the part timers turn over in the first 18 months, it surely must save the company some money.

As far as this dispute goes, an interesting thing happened in the middle of our shift about a month ago. The supervisors told us there would be a meeting in one of the conference rooms right after our shift break. At that meeting, we were shown a copy of a form letter they wanted to copy and send to our two senators and our representative urging them to pass the bill that would change Fed Ex’s status. Both the union and management were urging us to do this because Fed Ex was able take some UPS business by undercutting UPS in pricing, thus having an “unfair” advantage. They had pens and paper, and we were to all write three letters, sign them, and address three envelopes, and hand them in unsealed so they could proof read the letters.

I walked out without writing any letters. I’m happy with UPS benefits, but it always amazed me that they could compete while giving such generous benefits. But they did. Nor do I think it’s right to use the government to try to hurt your competitor in a way that will raise prices for consumers. Fed Ex has their business model, and UPS has theirs. It’s great having the benefits and that’s what attracted and keeps people working there. But I’m sure as heck not going to begrudge Fed Ex for their ability to compete in the marketplace.

Marty on November 10, 2009 at 9:41 PM

UPS is logistically superior to FED-EX. This makes any price difference for Ground irrelevant for our business.

With UPS, you have daily pickup of all packages – air and ground – for one fee. The fee depends only upon your weekly volume (air+ground+international).

With FED-EX, you are charged a pickup fee plus a per-item fee for air service, AND a pickup fee plus a per-item fee for ground service: these fees are IN ADDITION TO the published package shipment cost. This wastes a huge amount of money if the shipper can’t predict the exact mix of air and ground shipments weeks in advance. It also causes an impossible shipment pickup scheduling problem for the shipper.

So while it is 100% true that the government should stay out of the business, it is also true that FedEx spends a lot of time shooting itself in the foot by focusing on its own convenience rather than actual customer needs. FedEx is not a coherent shipping system: it is two (or three, if you count International) totally different systems loosely held together with duct tape.

landlines on November 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I didn’t mean to leave out the USPS, which is the worst of all possible carriers.

Entrenched union, abysmally stupid management, no real tracking, no real delivery (they think they’re done when they get the parcel to some distant post office), and the most dysfunctional payment system in the universe. And did I forget to mention that USPS Parcel Post intermittently goes through “bad seasons” where nearly 100% of the packages are damaged?

Bulk mail pricing is completely arbitrary unless you are a gigantic bulk mailer who can develop a cozy, full-time relationship with a particular well-positioned postal employee. So if you just need occasional bulk mailings, forget it: first class is cheaper after you cost out your time for fruitless negotiation and fact-finding calls plus the regular loss of 15% of your mailing (this is what it has been in our zone for years: USPS routinely damages and/or simply throws away a portion of each mailing).

And lets not forget the brain-dead USPS-blessed “tools” for mailers. You can buy software to print your own stamps in various denominations…but you have to buy sheets of blank stamps from the post office in order to do so!!! As a result, the mailer is penalized about 10% (plus his time) for the privilege of wasting his time printing his own stamps. No added convenience: you get dysfunctional sheets of stamps (no rolls or machine-ready media) out of the process, so manual handling is required for every piece. This silly scheme could only have resulted from an old Saturday Night Live or Monty Python parody which someone at USPS interpreted as a serious suggestion.

Conclusion: If you really want to kill off Al Qaeda, send them several truckloads of US government bureaucrats to “help” them. If you want them killed faster, send them a few of our Congressmen to use as advisers.

landlines on November 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM

what’s crazier…his manic hand waving or those crazy sideburns?

tlynch001 on November 10, 2009 at 10:18 PM

As a current FedEx Express employee…There is a difference from FedEx Express and FedEx Ground.

FedEx Express the company owns the vehicles and the employees are hourly and all that goes with that. FedEx Ground are independent contractors and own their own vehicles and pay for everything. Express uses planes to get their freight and Ground trucks it like UPS mostly does.

The major pain in the butt is the the Express network and the Ground network are totally seperate. UPS network is integrated so their air and ground pkgs go with the same driver.

Sweaty Deacon on November 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM

UPS needs to castaway the union thugs.

Jaibones on November 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM

My husband, brother, and son used to work for UPS. The union NEVER did anything to help them in their jobs. In fact, my husband tried to move into a driver position and because he wasn’t one of the “in” people in the union, he didn’t get the job, even though he had the best performance in his group of trainees.

After my brother moved into management, he was regularly subjected to nasty slurs and slashed tires.

And my son was fired when a union bigwig co-worker didn’t like him.

The union is only there to steal money from workers’ paychecks to buy themselves power and political clout.

My husband now works for a different, formerly unionized company. They recently upped all of their benefits, 401K contributions, and vacation. It’s a far, far better company to work for and the employees know it. The unions are always trying to get back in, to no avail.

Common Sense on November 11, 2009 at 1:18 AM

I have worked for UPS as a delivery driver for 21 years now and although I am no big fan of the union I also know that FedEx has more than it’s share of problems also. FedEx is also not the same company they were when they started. They have almost exactly the same business model (because they copied it from us in most respects) and do the exact same work with almost the same number of trucks planes and package cars as we do. In the beginning they were almost entirely an airline with private contractors (they are losing these battles in court because the “independant contractors” are anything but)as delivery drivers so they were regulated under the RLA. I have good friends who drive and sort packages for FedEx and believe me, the movement and treatment of your packages and the quality of the workforce at both operations are about the same. We have good laughs when we tell stories to each other and the other guy says “me too!!”. He is wrong about trying to win in congress because we can’t win in the marketplace. Believe me, if FedEx had to compete under the same rules we do we would beat them on service and price. Our management, as asinine as they can be sometimes, are also very prudent financially and don’t build well ahead in anticipation of volume that may never come. FedEx is paying for many brand new facilities and vehicles that aren’t being used now and we aren’t.

Lothar Of The Hill People on November 11, 2009 at 2:16 AM

union…

U as in unorganized
N as in negligent
I as in I only care about me (the union first, members 2nd)
O as in oh my god I pay $100 per month for what?
N as in not it touch with reality.

Unions “rule” through legal strong arm tactics. If they were the Mob they would be in jail. If a non-union co goes to work on a project the “union” shuts the job down till they’re gone.

They give money to politicians who give them Project Labor Agreements (PLAs). This the project will cost the taxpayers/customer 40% more but the pols get a kickback so it’s all good.

I believe the unions had their place 100 years ago. But they can only survive today in conjuntion with the government. Don’t believe me… look at the auto industry. The tire guys don’t get the $ they want so they strike and everyone else stays home. Eventually the co gives in. Then the window guy, then the door guy, etc.

If your making $30 per hour (low) back in 1990 and get a 3% raise for the next 20 that means they’ve gotten a 60% raise. They now make $54 per hour. How can you justify that??? How??? At what point does a $108,000 per year auto assembly worker make sense???

SFTech on November 11, 2009 at 7:44 AM

This is what happens when governments intervene in private markets.

It is the fundamental essence of fascism.

It is socialism done the fascist way.

When the kids coming out of college finally understand this…it could be too late.

Saltysam on November 11, 2009 at 8:02 AM

re: landlines

no real tracking

Correction: no real time tracking, but anything with a delivery confirmation, or any numerical tracking number can be tracked.

no real delivery

Correction: abysmally stupid statement, if delivering a parcel/package to someone’s door isn’t real delivery, I don’t know what is.

Correction: flat out bald faced lie! This is more of the “urban legend” fallacies propagated by those who want to bash the PO.
If you want to bash the PO, at least do it with truth, not nonsensical lies and half truths.

postaldog on November 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM