D.C. sniper executed

posted at 9:52 pm on November 10, 2009 by Allahpundit

Honestly, it’s amazing that there haven’t been copycats. With a little rifle training and a few modified vehicles, a cell of, say, eight men could wreak havoc potentially for months. Instead, they’re still messing around with high explosives. Well, most of them.

The time of death? 9:11 p.m.

Muhammad, 48, a man who directed what many law enforcement officials consider one of the worst outbreaks of crime in the nation’s history, died in Virginia’s death chamber while relatives of his victims looked on. Unlike his victims, however, Muhammad knew when and how he was going to die. He and Jamaican immigrant Lee Boyd Malvo, then 17, killed 10 people in the Washington area during a terrifying October 2002 rampage; they also have been linked to shootings in several other states.

State authorities escorted a denim and flip-flop clad Muhammad into a small room at the Greensville Correctional Center and strapped him to a cross-shaped table. He was injected with a series of lethal drugs until he died…

Despite scores of witnesses and hundreds of pieces of evidence — the sum of which pointed directly at Muhammad and Malvo and led to capital murder convictions — law enforcement officials have not pinned down a solid motive for the shootings and cannot say for sure who specifically fired the fatal shots.

Really? No idea at all?

Update: “He basically watched my dad breathe his last breath. Why shouldn’t I watch his last breath?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The FBI has profiled mass murderers. They all are motivated to send some kind of message, based on being wronged in their minds. There is a category of being wronged by an institution or ideology, too.

There is always a triggering event that finally topples the person into action.

And they are all known to be disturbed prior to, but there are never enough signs to indicate that impending action is about to happen until it’s too late.

This category of mass murderers become intensely involved in some radical ideology and/religion along the way.

AnninCA on November 11, 2009 at 9:32 AM

We will never be able to call ourselves a truly civilized society until we cease the barbaric practice of killing our criminals. The U.S. stands arm-in-arm with countries like China, Iran and Saudi Arabia in this practice, while virtually every other industrialized nation has ended it.

We are no better off this morning than we would have been if Muhammad were still alive. And by executing him we guaranteed that we will never find out from him why he did what he did.

To paraphrase the Marquis de Sade, the society that kills by writ is the most cold-blooded killer of all.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Japan still executes. They’re pretty industrialized.

T.D.D. on November 11, 2009 at 9:55 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM

He did what he did because he went full Muslim… and everyone knows that you should never go full Muslim.

ronnyraygun on November 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM

He should have been executed by a team of sharp shooters firing .22 rifles. First they take the toes, then the fingers…It would take a long while for this POS to die.

fleiter on November 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I believe Marquis de Sade also said, “The only way to a woman’s heart is along the path of torment”. The guy was a sadist.

ronnyraygun on November 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

ronnyraygun on November 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

So I assume you want to make a case for tormenting women. Be my guest. This ought to be good.

The guy was a sadist.

No! I wonder whose name that word is derived from? Hmmmm.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Japan still executes. They’re pretty industrialized.

T.D.D. on November 11, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I did say “virtually”.
And shame on the Japanese.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I believe that ronnyraygun was pointing out the stupidity of relying on a sadist for your moral compass.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Well I think the real reason for ending the death penalty is wrongful convictions. I mean have we not had enough examples of this just from the advent of DNA evidence? Then estimate how many cases DNA evidence would factor into the case, where the amount of wrongful convictions could not be overturned by that evidence. Then take into account wrongful acts by overzealous prosecutors and investigators looking to pad their stats, Radley Balko over at Reason Magazine has done multiple articles on that. That’s why we shouldn’t have the death penalty, because the state screws up all the time, not just in criminal justice, but elsewhere.

LevStrauss on November 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Murdering jihadi piece of sh!t is now screaming in the agony that shall never end, and swimming in a lake of fire.

Jaibones on November 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM

So let it be written
So let it be done.

Get in line Hasan.

bluegrass on November 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM

What did he win? Vengeful child of the day award?

Grow Fins on November 10, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Vengeance is mine, sayeth SouthernGent!

SouthernGent on November 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I believe society has the right to the death penalty. But that belief contradicts my feelings when it happens.

When I heard of his death I felt cold and not at all satisfied. Like I had participated somehow in his death. I don’t like it.

Believing something is okay that makes me feel this way is a conflict that I usually resolve by saying we shouldn’t do it.

But intellectually I still think it is okay.

I suppose.

If we decide not to have the death penalty I will be okay with that too. As long as a life sentence is truly a life sentence.

petunia on November 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Instead of interpreting for ronny, why don’t you offer your own thoughts?

One could say the same about, oh, Thomas Jefferson: The stupidity of relying on a slave owner for guidance on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness…

That line of thought is a rabbit hole with big, neon arrows pointing to the entrance, disturb.

But I doubt ronnie was thinking that deeply. He simply evaded the issue with a non sequitur, and I called him on it.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Another liberal playing the moral equivalency game and passing it off as deep thought. Enjoy your nuance.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Translation: “I got nothin’”.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM

What is it you’d like me to comment on? Be specific.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Just as one killer goes, he leaves space for another in his stead….

Hasan—there’s a warm bunk for ya.

—and a ham sammich.

ted c on November 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Unlike China, Chump, we do not kill people just to harvest their organs. Unlike Iran, we do not execute homosexuals simply because of their sexual proclivity. Unlike Saudi Arabia, we do not cut off the hands of thieves.

The death penalty should be used only on the most heinous of murderers after a fair trial. That is exactly what happened here.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Perhaps if you took the time to read the Koran you would know why he did what he did. You think keeping his sorry ass around another decade or two will lead to some great revelation that Islam was not the cause. To borrow a quote from Hemingway, “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

He’s with the maggots now.

pseudonominus on November 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I disagree.

The death penalty should be used quite often:

Any murderer.

Any rapist.

Any kidnapper.

Any terrorist.

pseudonominus on November 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM

So it is more cold-blooded to put Mohammed to sleep with a lethal injection after a fair trial and a verdict delivered by his peers than to hide in the bushes and shoot innocent people filling up their cars at a gas station.

If this is deep thinking, I will stick with my shallow thoughts any day, Chump.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Translation: “I got nothin’”.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I think I just proved I have a lot more than you.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM

pseudonominus on November 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Okay.

Tell that to the troll.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM

In clear cases of guilt the death penalty is an appropriate punishment by society. I don’t caqre that he took his motivation to the grave. Now that he’s dead he won’t be using that excuse again.

katiejane on November 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Justice. This is what it looks like.

daesleeper on November 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Unlike China, Chump, we do not kill people just to harvest their organs.

But we still execute criminals.

But we still execute criminals.

Unlike Saudi Arabia, we do not cut off the hands of thieves.

But we still execute criminals.
That was the entire point of my post, Disturb. Your “we’re not as bad as them” rationalization is quite beside the point.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I am never happy to see anyone die without the saving knowledge of Jesus. He did deserve the death penalty but God doesn’t like to see any of his children die without him, regardless of what they have done. God loves us all enough that we would spend eternity with him.

GoodBoy on November 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM

The U.S. stands arm-in-arm with countries like China, Iran and Saudi Arabia

Your point is that we are as bad as them.
My point is that we are not.
It is not beside the point at all.
Executing criminals who have had a fair trial does not put us “arm-in-arm” with these brutal regimes.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Rest in peace, NOT!

Levinite on November 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM

GoodBoy on November 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM

He had plenty of time and opportunity to come to Jesus. He chose Muhammed instead.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM

If this is deep thinking, I will stick with my shallow thoughts any day, Chump.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Yes, I think it is.

No one’s excusing what Muhammad did. He was a loathsome creep and a dispicable murderer. What he did cannot be justified or excused.
But make no mistake about it, his execution was an act of cold deliberation. There was simply no compelling reason to kill him. We just wanted to.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM

You’ve had plenty of time and opportunity to come to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and you’ve chosen Jesus instead.

See how silly you sound?

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Your point is that we are as bad as them.
My point is that we are not.
It is not beside the point at all.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Oh for pity’s sake! Read for comprehension, you dunderhead!

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Tough $#yt, scum bag! Don’t let the door hit you in the ass as you enter Hell!

angus mcbeemer on November 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM
—-
Ah, I’ve been wondering when you’d go there.

The individual in question could never rejoin society as he had not rejected his antisocial behavior. How many chances should such an individual receive?

The argument of “for the rest of their natural lives” would be fine with me – if they were able to live out those lives isolated, perhaps working a subsistence farm, perhaps doing some form of manual labor – offsetting the cost of keeping them caged up.

Society, you see, is made up of individuals, who place the number of chances at different points from zero to approaching infinity. Your infinity is canceled by my zero, thus we arrive at 7 years.

Mew

acat on November 11, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Chumpy needs to take his course on persuasion on the road.

daesleeper on November 11, 2009 at 12:47 PM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM
—-
I celebrate both Christmas and Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Make of that what you will.

Mew

acat on November 11, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Oh for pity’s sake! Read for comprehension, you dunderhead!

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM

My reading comprehension is just fine, and I don’t need to resort to childish insults to make my point. You are the one who made the moral equivalency comment with your arm-in-arm comment; I was responding as you demanded I do up thread.

You go right on playing your broken “But we execute criminals” record all day if you like. If you can’t see the difference between our legal system and communism or sharia, I pity you.

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM

See how silly you sound?

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I am overwhelmed by the deepness of your thought process. I am unworthy. LOL

Disturb the Universe on November 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Rot in hell, scumbag.

Claypigeon on November 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Ah, I’ve been wondering when you’d go there.

erm…I went “there” in my original post.

acat on November 11, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Oh, I get it. Muhammad obviously could never be released from jail, and why should society bear the cost of keeping him alive? Solution? Execution!
The morality of the balance sheet.
But why stop there?
Lethal chemicals cost money…stones are free.

I’ve gotta say, the blood lust expressed in this comments section is really something.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I don’t need to resort to childish insults to make my point.

And I sincerely apologize for the remark. I shouldn’t have said that.

This is my last vacation day, and I’ve gotta get some things done around the house.
Thanks all!

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Richmond area animals that I would fillet myself:

Mohammad and Malvo (2002)

Dandridge and Gray (2006)

Briley Brothers (1979)

When an animal turns on you, it must be destroyed. Same with these scum. They gave up all rights to humane treatment when they killed for no reason. A painful, public, execution in the neighborhood they lived in would be a good deterent. The Harvey’s were friends of mine. I started carrying a firearm everywhere I go after their murders. Evil exists in the world. I have seen it. It must be removed when identified.

riverrat10k on November 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM

The Harvey’s were friends of mine.

riverrat10k on November 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Hmmm, They were friends of my son also. Are you a denizen of the Fan?

Oldnuke on November 11, 2009 at 1:53 PM

See how silly you sound?

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM

You’ve had plenty of time to construct your own analysis but you choose the haggard “Flying Spaghetti Monster” bit. See how silly you sound?

The Race Card on November 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I wonder if Johnny Wad’s last request was 2 hours alone with Lee Boyd Malvo in a dress.

David2.0 on November 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM

There was simply no compelling reason to kill him. We just wanted to.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I didn’t know Barry blogged here.

flyoverboy on November 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Hmmm, They were friends of my son also. Are you a denizen of the Fan?

Oldnuke on November 11, 2009 at 1:53 PM

No, southside Richmond, south of the James River.
The Harvey’s lived in an area called Woodland Heights.

riverrat10k on November 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Once in a while the American people get the last word. Go to hell Muhammad Enough said!!

chickasaw42 on November 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM

It’s so funny because you guys love to talk about the Constitution, but you forget that, what, 3 of the 8 substantive amendments in the Bill of Rights are about protecting the rights of the accused. You guys seem to forget that.

Proud Rino on November 11, 2009 at 7:24 AM

He was no longer the accused. He was found guilty.

I am sure that Ben Franklin wouldn’t find too much fault with my idea of chaining him to a lightning rod, and telling him Insha’Allah.

Slowburn on November 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I hope his 72 virgins are all WOW players and Star Wars conventioneers with Cheeto breath.

RadClown on November 11, 2009 at 3:58 PM

There was simply no compelling reason to kill him. We just wanted to.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM

“We just wanted to” seems to be a good enough reason when applied to babies. And it has absolutely no value as deterrence on future babies.

The liberal stance on the value of life seems to be that it’s OK to kill an obviously innocent person, but an obviously guilty one should be kept around forever, occupying attorneys, correctional officers, etc. on the public dime. Because we might make a mistake…

If not doing things because we might make a mistake was sensible, nobody would ever do anything. Even the religious argument doesn’t make sense to me. A religious awakening, and its timing, is between the individual and God, and should not be a practical consideration. God knows what to do with those executed in error.

I don’t see a moral problem with capital punishment. He was convicted, he paid.

jodetoad on November 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM

But we still execute criminals.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

And every day how many people execute their completely innocent unborn children?

Don’t suppose you see a moral dilema there do you?

Kowboy on November 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The Harvey’s lived in an area called Woodland Heights.

riverrat10k on November 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM

They had a shop of some kind down near Careytown, I think. I’m pretty sure that’s where my son met them. He lives in the Fan.

Oldnuke on November 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Time for a nice, comfy dirt nap.

13Girl on November 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM

ORDER UP!!!!

Double hobo’s dick cheese and a side of gofuckyourseeeeeeeeeeelf for the bedwetter straddling the fencepost in the corner…

seejanemom on November 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

This terrorism was under W’s watch. Not that obama’s keeping us safe, just saying- the problem isn’t always what we do to protect ourselves.

abobo on November 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM

For those who are against state executions, tough! The reason VA got the trial was that they usually did fast trials and did have the death penalty. I have put down my loved animals by injection and that was humane so John Muhammed death was humane also.

If the state does not do its duty to execute murderers then the relatives will. That was the reason to give the duties of justice to the state. Or do you want feuds and vendettas to come back?

The Hatfields and McCoys are famous and that is in the neighboring state.

Gang murders are often just retribution on a death of a gang member. That creates a more violent society than when the state does the job of justice and vengence.

RAH on November 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Kul kalb biji yumo. Ilalika Muhammad, rot in hell with that other Muhammad.

Michelle Dubois on November 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM

We need a microwave that seats 40 just to catch up on the rest waiting on death row. Look at the financial savings by clearing out the prisons?

The payoff? Obama has a place for us evil Christian’s who have crosses on our license plates.

dthorny on November 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Lethal chemicals cost money…stones are free.

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Good point.
Shoot, I’d make it into a game show.

You could have guest throwers like Roger Clemens or the latest Cy Young winners.

I’d call it “We Will Rock You”.

justltl on November 11, 2009 at 8:19 PM

justltl on November 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM

chumpThreads on November 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Yes, his execution was an act of cold deliberation. That’s why we had compelling reason(s) to kill him.

And you are wrong. We did not want to. But, he desevred to die for his crimes against humanity.

Evidenced by your flying sgetti remark, you are not interested in rational thought. You just hate anything that smacks of a Judeo-Christian system of laws.

I’ve argued with your brothers and sisters in (dis)belief. Your arguments are old and tired. Go away until you can come up with some fresh nonsense.

You people bore me.

davidk on November 11, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Rot in hell with your “72 virgins” you f*cking moron.

bannedbyhuffpo on November 11, 2009 at 10:40 PM

My state, Kentucky, has 36 inmates on death row; to read about them, visit http://www.corrections.ky.gov/inmateinfo/deathrow.htm. If all you have is a moment, read about Samuel Fields — he alone is good reason to have the death penalty.

Opponents of the death penalty often say that the poor are most likely to end up on death row, and that rich people are seldom there. In Kentucky, simply murdering someone isn’t enough to get you a death sentence; you must also commit an aggravating felony such as armed robbery, kidnapping or arson. Rich people do commit murder, but they seldom kill the guy behind the cash register at Seven-Eleven.

KyMouse on November 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM

They shoulda shaved his head, drowned him in pigs blood, and fed him to some wild hogs.
One thing yer missin’. Babawa Wawa did an interview with a bunch of islamic terrorists. They were all dressed in their little terrorist outfits, hidin’ their faces. Babawa asked the head scumbag, “What awaits you after martyrdom?” The answer was, “All things forbidden on earth.” Babawa then asked, “But what specifically?”
The little bugger thinks a little bit and says, “Wine…YOUNG BOYS!!!…uh…women.” When he said “young boys”, the rest of his perverted buddies began nodding and jabbing each other, eyes bright and excited.
So…the virgins doan excite them all that much. It’s the prospect of corn holing some young boys that gets em’ goin’.
I guess islamic paradise and hell could be the same place. Just depends on if yer catchin’ or pitchin’.

No islam…Know Peace