Surprise: Obama addresses Berlin on the fall of the Wall

posted at 5:43 pm on November 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m giving you two versions, the unedited BBC transmission and the censored version that ran on Russian state television (which omits the passage about the Declaration of Independence but not, curiously, the one about the Iron Curtain), thus proving that the old Soviet spirit is alive and kicking. Even in a two-and-a-half minute speech about an event as epochal as the fall of the Wall, somehow he finds a way to make it about him:

“Few would have foreseen … that a united Germany would be led by a woman from Brandenburg or that their American ally would be led by a man of African descent. But human destiny is what human beings make of it,” Obama said.

Skip ahead to 4:30 or so of the Russia Today clip to watch Hillary introduce him as “someone who represents the fall of different kinds of walls.” Even here, history is a handmaiden to The One’s grandeur.

Fox News speculated earlier that Obama might have decided against attending in order to avoid annoying his new partners in peace in Moscow. Think they’re wrong? Watch the BBC clip and count the number of times The One names either “Russia” or the “Soviet Union” as the party responsible for the Wall. The closest he gets is the reference to the Iron Curtain; aside from that, all we really learn here is that there was some vague tyrant that used to oppress eastern Europe but has since receded into the mists of history. Ask the Poles and Czechs how they feel about that “recession” in the wake of our new missile defense arrangement.

Be sure to count the number of references to Reagan and Thatcher too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If Obama had not been elected president our guilt for the crimes that happened in the past (somehow American arrogance must explain why WWII happened) would hang around our necks forever. But because the One descended to enlighten us with wisdom, hipness, and icy cool demeanor (not to mention Michelle’s arms) all is cool – bro.

johnnybgood on November 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM

somebody already did that.

really, why propagate this lie that the czechs and poles are upset?

sesquipedalian on November 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM

as much as I hate the trolls, it was fun seeing crr6 get totally schooled.

9 out of 10 times they should be ignored… but thanks for this time Jim!

Ampersand on November 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Michelle remembers sitting on her Dad’s lap watching the wall come down.

jamie gumm on November 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

very clevah

tigerlily on November 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM

These leftists never did answer any questions but only brag how they make posters here squirm. Bottom line is why did BO not go to Berlin? Couldn’t he have gone to Asia a couple days later? I don’t think he cares about freedom and liberty. He is such a Bolshevik who enjoys all the trappings of power. That pride of his is going to come down before long because no one can be that narcistic that long. Grow Fins was right the USSR was responsible mostly for winning against the Nazis but the western allies occupied enough of Western Europe to keep Stalin conquering all of Western Europe. BO should have gone to Berlin.

garydt on November 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Thank god for the Greatest President in the 20th century, but to Obama’s dismay that wall should be rebuilt even stronger and higher. Obama believes in marxism, and totalitarianism, so for him the destruction of the berlin wall is ground zero.

jaboba on November 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I thought I heard him say “Ich bin ein Muslimer”

BobMbx on November 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM

lol!

But I think he meant to say: schrank Muslimer.

Michelle Dubois on November 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Y’all and that crazy Austrian language..

huckelberry on November 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Thankfully, this Alinsky loving Communist whom the dumb people of this country were dumb enough to vote for, DID NOT ATTEND the ceremonies – that would have been a HUGE embarassment to the idea of liberty and freedom.

In his heart of hearts Obama HATES the day that Communism was defeated and Freedom reigned – hence his disgust at Reagan and Thatcher.

What a sad day for the USA – having a communist President who is angry at the fall of communism and the leaders responsible in bringing it down.

nagee76 on November 9, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Obama looks terrible. Was he always that skeletally thin?

yocheved on November 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Way to phone it, erh, I mean video it in … I guess he was too busy sending out Organizing for America email requests for cash.

bbh on November 9, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Obama looks terrible. Was he always that skeletally thin?

yocheved on November 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Lying burns a lot of calories.

Jim Treacher on November 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM

He also ‘gave a speech’ in Israel on Saturday, in honor of the anniversary of the murder of Rabin.

Phoenician on November 10, 2009 at 1:20 AM

My first thought when he started to speak was how much he appeared like Big Brother from the book.

I said that, then my daughter said it was like Anna from V. He just appears on a big screen and says soothing things.

Yep he is creepy. Creepy Creepy Creepy!

petunia on November 10, 2009 at 2:16 AM

just like a typical rock star he had a lot of reverberation in his proclamation to the adoring masses.

rplat on November 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Obama, what a “class act”! (not!!)

Thank you, President Reagan!

mozalf on November 10, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Big hat, no cattle.

a capella on November 9, 2009 at 5:48 PM

With all due respect, the correct way to use this Texas saying is:

All hat, no cattle.

Proud Texan on November 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Since you asked I feel obligated to answer. Poland is building its own missile defense with …(pardon I have to laugh) France!!!

Kris from
PoloniaNews

ktrelski on November 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Please count those references for me. I still suffer from Obama withdrawal syndrome.

ktrelski on November 10, 2009 at 8:56 AM

It’s always got to be about HIM. Soetoro is always compelled to tell us a story about his rise to power, but won’t tell us the story about how he got there (transcripts, jobs, clients, etc.).

Ricohoc on November 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

…the fall of different kind of walls. Uh, where to begin. So Reagan helped free millions of people from tyranny under Soviet rule and the Won is in the process of erecting a wall of tyranny around the American people. Yep, I can see the similarity.

Kissmygrits on November 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Russian state television

For what its worth, Russia Today is designed solely for foreign consumption, no one inside Russia watches it.

Alexey on November 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I had the misfortune to watch the speech live, and I caught that! Ha. I would have been worried if he hadn’t mentioned himself. Who are you and what have you done with the real Barack Obama?!?

bitsy on November 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Yep he is creepy. Creepy Creepy Creepy!
petunia on November 10, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Dead on! They even have the same haircut.

bitsy on November 10, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Nice of Obama to rise above petty self promotion and talk about something larger than himself.

Wait- nothing’s bigger than Obama. I forgot.

hawksruleva on November 10, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Yep he is creepy. Creepy Creepy Creepy!
petunia on November 10, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Who thinks V will cut into Obama’s popularity? Some of the central themes of that show- question authority, don’t trust smooth-talking front men, the value of freedom vs. comfort – all seem a little pointed during the Reign of Obama.

hawksruleva on November 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Poor Barack…Elected President and still a victim…The fall of the Berlin wall releases tens of millions from nearly fifty years of communists tyranny and he summarizes it all in a statement about women’s rights and advancement of the black man…This guy is a joke.

Nozzle on November 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM

“This Wall is all about me.”–Obama

maverick muse on November 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM

All hat, no cattle.

Proud Texan on November 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM

He has a hat?

He doesn’t even talk the talk.

Hope on November 10, 2009 at 12:44 PM

This wus couldn’t hold Reagan’s jock. Commie fraud.

marklmail on November 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Is it just me, or did he sound pissed off about the wall coming down?

He didn’t mention Kohl, Gorby, Reagan, Mitterrand, Mags or anyone.

The wall coming down was a group effort.

And how can he think about it without tearing up? It was one of the best nights of my life.

Hope on November 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM

The most self-referential, and self-reverential, president in history.

What a tool.

AZCoyote on November 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I-me-me mine, i-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine, i-me-me mine.

Fed45 on November 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Is it just me, or did he sound pissed off about the wall coming down?

Hope on November 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM

He still misses Van Jones.

Jim Treacher on November 10, 2009 at 2:11 PM

He cain’t hep it, the boy cain’t hep it.

Fed45 on November 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Odumbo desecrates everything the fall of the wall symbolizes.

ultracon on November 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM

The only wall the First Undocumented President is concerned with is preventing freedom of speech and any form of dissent. The very reasons for America’s existance.

dthorny on November 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I’m sure he failed to give ANY credit to Ronald Reagan…

I still can’t believe Obama didn’t go over to Berlin for this…

Khun Joe on November 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I still can’t believe Obama didn’t go over to Berlin for this…

Khun Joe on November 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM

He was busy. Wonder which of his own autobiographies he was reading?

Jim Treacher on November 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Let’s talk about ME ME ME!
Advocate For Change on November 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Obama’s Song
(excerpt)

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you you you you occasionally, but MOSTLY
I wanna talk about meeeeee
I wanna talk about ME

Sweet_Thang on November 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Sorry, meant to thank Toby Keith in my previous post.

Sweet_Thang on November 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM

The immensity of Obama’s ego is truly breathtaking.

realitycheck on November 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Reminds me of the Superman movie with Superman’s parents talking from heaven.

Jerk.

PattyJ on November 10, 2009 at 7:45 PM

as much as I hate the trolls, it was fun seeing crr6 get totally schooled.
9 out of 10 times they should be ignored… but thanks for this time Jim!
Ampersand on November 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM

The trolls directly and indirectly increase Hot Air’s vital statistics: visits, page views, time per page, and ultimately clicks. Tell them you love them and you’re glad they’re here.

Kralizec on November 10, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Obama is s creepy looking.

alliebobbitt on November 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

We may be giving Obama a bad rap. It may be that his speechwriters truly believe Obama is the the start of a new era of enlightment for the US an the world.

Hence, every speech must mention Obama in this light.

I suppose we will know if this meme is catching when the new year starts on the old January 20, 2010, marked as the year two AO.

davod on November 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM