Michael Steele: Some white Republicans are scared of me

posted at 4:40 pm on November 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, he never says “some.” I’m adding that to give him the benefit of the doubt. Raw Story’s transcript of the exchange:

STEELE: Education and the economy. Education and jobs. Education and small business.

MARTIN: But your candidates got to talk to them. One of the criticisms I’ve always had is Republicans — white Republicans — have been scared of black folks.

STEELE: You’re absolutely right. I mean I’ve been in the room and they’ve been scared of me. I’m like, “I’m on your side” and so I can imagine going out there and talking to someone like you, you know, [you’re like,] “I’ll listen.” And they’re like “Well.” Let me tell you. You saw in Christie and you saw in McDonnell a door open because they went in and engaged. McDonnell was very deliberate about spending —

Even better: The guy he said this to is noted Obama apologist Roland Martin. I get what Steele’s trying to do here, conceding Martin’s point to establish common ground so that he’s in a stronger position to persuade him (and his audience), but this isn’t the first time he’s laughed off a nasty racial smear about Republicans uttered in his presence. If he wants to do the common-ground thing, he could at least qualify his agreement by saying that it’s true of a few party members but isn’t true of most; if, in his experience, it is true of most, then he should make that fact loudly known so that conservatives who don’t want to be part of a racist party can walk away for good.

Exit question: Does Steele understand how sensitive most righties are about being demagogued by the left with false, politically calculated charges of racism? The answer must be no or else he’d never let something like this go unchallenged. Click the image to watch.

steele-scared

Comments

Steele, you just lost me FOR EVER as a possible supporter for the Republican party – no money, no votes, no more.

You want to imply white people are racists fine, I disagree – but you’re entitled to your opinion. However, as the Leader of the Republican party, you need to rise above this and figure out how to bring your party back to it’s conservative roots. If you do that, you will bring most of us back – until you do, I’m voting third party independent candidates all the way.

jackal40 on November 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM

That all changed in the 1960s when Republican decided to go with the Southern Strategy. The mask is off the Republican Party.

Decider on November 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM

The Democrat Party is jammed top to bottom with bigots, outright racists, and race hustlers like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Leftist racism has been around since Marx.

Dollayo on November 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Decider on November 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM

All the time the Republicans were promulgating and voting for the Civil Rights Acts, and the Democrats were filibustering and voting down same, they were wearing masks?

No, what actually happened is that the Democrats found the Republican weak point — which is that every person is equal and should expect equal — even color blind — treatment from the Government. The real “Southern Strategy” was the Democrats buying votes via largesse.

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM

That was the turning point. Steele’s done.

nottakingsides on November 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Well, that clears that up, I thought I was afraid of him because he is an idiot.

Knott Buyinit on November 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM

WTF is wrong with this moron?

Oh yeah….he’s a moron.

HAnthonyWayne on November 9, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Michael Steele – the gift that keeps on giving for the Democrat party.

Let’s not forget that this moron was WHITEFACED by the black Democrats of Maryland when he was running for Lt.Governor – and he says that white Republicans are afraid of him ?

This clown is perpetuating a rather ugly stereotype of black people.

nagee76 on November 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM

they might be afraid, but it has nothing to do with race.

Sonosam on November 10, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Who is afraid of unsophisticated tactless jackasses?

Jerricho68 on November 10, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Get over it, you pantywaist! Are you man or mouse? With apologies to mice……

ultracon on November 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Why would Michael Steele be in the same room with Republicans? It’s not like he’s a Republican.

Wait, what? He’s the party chairman? But he hates Republicans, says they’re racists! What kind of insane peole put someone bigoted against them in a position of authority?!

Crawford on November 10, 2009 at 9:17 AM

What kind of insane people put someone bigoted against them in a position of authority?!

I’ll play…Republicans?

DanaSmiles on November 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM

inevitable on November 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Obama tool.

baldilocks on November 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I’ll play…Republicans?

DanaSmiles on November 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I’ll trump. Democrats?

unclesmrgol on November 10, 2009 at 10:13 AM

He might be right. I’m scared of him, because he seems to have no core beliefs. He’ll sometimes take a position I like, and then drift to something like “seniors’ bill of rights”.

I could care less what color he is, though.

hawksruleva on November 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Obama tool.
baldilocks on November 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I’d call him a few other choice words, but I kinda like posting here.

Also, and unfortunately, a large proportion of Latinos do the same thing.

Shambhala on November 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Some people who used to be Republicans are afraid of him, too.

Oddly, I’m not afraid of Thomas Sowell. What could this mean???

Venusian Visitor on November 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM

“Scary” is not an adjective that I’d apply to him!

ncborn on November 10, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I wasn’t scared of him when I sent money to his campaign in ’08, however, I am very scared of him now that I have seen him operate the RNC

doginblack on November 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Actually, Mr. Steele, it’s your stupidity that’s most frightening. Stupid doesn’t know color, gender or age.

bloviator on November 10, 2009 at 10:55 AM

WTF, Michael?

If your public comments are of this line of thinking, I shudder to think what your private ones are…

itzWicks on November 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Does this jackass even want the job?

SKYFOX on November 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM

A lot of people held their nose and voted for this guy when he was on the Gubernatorial ticket in MD and when he ran for the Senate.Now he has been reduced to handing out copies of the Final Call at traffic lights, he’s even starting to dress for the part.

inevitable on November 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM

My money and I are not racist – I think he will miss us both!

libertylady on November 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM

The count is 0 and 2. The pitcher throws a low outside strike that the batter swings at because he has to protect the plate. The ball is hit to the opposite side of the field. As the ball trails off away from the left fielder it looks like it might be a hit that could result in extra bases. It turns out to be a stand up double for the hitter. The problem is that the hitter failed to touch 1st base and is subsequently tagged out for the final out of the inning.

Michael Steele is the type of RNC hitter that makes mistakes on a regular basis. He occasionally connects with the base of the Republican party but more times than not the “base” is missed or the “ball” is dropped whereby making another mental error or fails to shore up his flanking remarks by playing right into the hands of the questioner. The question for the people cheering in the stands for the RNC’s ball team is whether Michael Steele should be benched or just sent back down to the minors outright. He has demonstrated time after time a level of incompetence noteworthy of a minor leaguer. The list is long and very RINOish.

If taking back congress in 2010 is a success story, it won’t because of the leadership of the current RNC chairman.

I am amazed that some people & most right-wing pundits have said that Sarah Palin has to perfect in order to succeed in any future endeaver yet, somehow Michael Steele is given a pass while he sits in the highest postion of the RNC political machine making mental mistakes giving fodder to the opposition on a regular basis. The some people & most right-wing pundits need to be more consistent in their inconsistencies when comes to measuring the non-value added behavior patterns of this RNC chairman. He creates his own controversial contributions by just opening mouth. We need a better prepared individual to lead us now because we don’t need someone who just doesn’t get it. He should be riding point on the conservative messages not bringing up the rear by following the pack. Michael Steele lacks conviction which in all democrat & most republican politicians resume’s is considered a given. Michale Steele isn’t the person for the job unless you are a RINO. I wonder if a poll has be taken for Michael Steele on his job performance thus far…..

Americannodash on November 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Asians,Latinos,Sikhs etc.but no more Blacks,they aren’t worth the baggage that they bring to the table.This guy in particular makes a pretty good argument for re-instating segregation.
inevitable on November 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

What a terrible thing to say. Conservativism is about principles and not about the color of a persons skin dipsh!T. Ban this person.

Americannodash on November 10, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I wonder if he believes this.

If you are black you may just always assume that some one’s reaction to you is race based.

When in fact maybe you said something they disagree with… or maybe your breath is bad. Or any number of reasons people respond in less than positive ways to other people.

But the first thing that comes to mind is race. I wish they’d stop that. It is quite annoying.

petunia on November 10, 2009 at 12:17 PM

But really is this that big of deal? I think it is annoying but I don’t think it disqualifies him. I get annoyed with stuff Newt says all the time and I still like him.

Let’s not return thin skin with even thinner skin.

petunia on November 10, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Most of ’em are sure you’re a putz now, Mike.

mojo on November 10, 2009 at 12:30 PM

What kind of a jackass are you Steele??!! How dare you! Of ALL of the stupid things you have said in your tenure as the GOP mouth piece, this one takes the cake!! You need a figurative kick in your ass for that one. OMG. I tried to find some redeeming quality that you might possess, but, you have been a spineless weak leader. You have been completely ineffective dealing with the Dems. You let everyone else get out front and do what you should have been doing. You should resign your post and go sit in the corner with your thumb in your mouth. Let the big people take care of this. No more of your crap sandwiches!

shawno on November 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Did they actually SAY they were scared or does Steele read minds?

happy2behere on November 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM

I am a Marylander and I witnessed Steele’s race baiting and illegal acts while he was our LT Gov. The guy is a loser. He is just like Obama, he uses his race to game the system. You Republicans got played, just like the Dems did with O.

freckleface on November 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM

The republican party needs a real conservative for RNC Chairman. Steele needs to be canned!

MCGIRV on November 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I’m giving Mike a pass on this. He talks a lot and gets off track from time to time,.
I think he means republican are afraid to bring up racial topics in front of black crowds(expecting they won’t get a fair reception. Like black crime,racial quotas,affimative action,racial profiling(the justification of it), how multicultralism is actually bad for us.
Our politicians avoid these topics like the plaque and with good read reason. One slip of the tonque and you have a ‘macaca’ moment on your hand and your career is over.

I can say he is working very very hard and he will go anywhere to speak. He goes to places republicans hardly ever go. He is getting some of the message out to crowds who refuse to hear and rarely hear the conservative view on anything.

kangjie on November 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Sensitive enough that Republicans are afraid to call out the actual racists in their party.

RightOFLeft on November 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM

inevitable on November 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Look, chump, nobody here believes that, including you. You’re obviously here on assignment creating poignant quotes for HuffPo so we can be further characterized as “dangerous extremists.” Go peddle your papers elsewhere.

Venusian Visitor on November 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM

he has to be one of the worst RNC Chairman\’s in RNC history. Why is he fighting his own party? His job is to bring repubs together to find common ground and promote the republican party agenda. Why is he acting like a victim? Maybe he should consider switching parties.

ramrants on November 10, 2009 at 4:32 PM

MARTIN:… One of the criticisms I’ve always had is Republicans — white Republicans — have been scared of black folks.

Why is this rascist SOB still the front man for the GOP?
Since he uses Eric Holder’s talking points, its time for him to be released so he can return to the Obamanation from which he was recruited! Not a dime for the Republican Party till this clown is replaced. Let’s get it on — Put Sarah Palin in charge of the GOP, until she’s ready to throw her hat in the presidential ring!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on November 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Hey, Steele. Ever think that maybe, just maybe, people don’t like you as an individual person and not as a member of some group.

davidk on November 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Asher on November 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Haven’t seen anything like that since DOS days.

davidk on November 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Pound sand!

rjoco1 on November 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM

With Steele at the helm and palin endorsing candidates (like Hoffman) from the sidelines, things are looking good for the GOP!

benny shakar on November 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM

He called people racist with no evidence. It’s inexcusable.

BS.

Crawford on November 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Steele was selected purely as race bait for the R’s. The D’s had Soetoro, so we picked the R closest to the same shade.

leftnomore on November 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Are there any REAL conservatives out there to run the Republican party?

Steele is in over his head. Time to hit the bricks and bring in someone else. Color and gender don’t mater. Just want a conservative …. Please.

gstrickler on November 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Michael Steele: Some white Republicans are scaredsick of me

FIFY

darwin-t on November 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM

The sad thing is that Steele will stay there as long as HE wants to stay. Because he is black, no one would dream of asking him to hit the road. He is a train wreck.

They called me NON STOP on Saturday. I hate being rude to those volunteers but I sometimes wonder if the calls are recorded so I lay em out when they ask for money.

OSUBuciz1 on November 10, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Tell that to Mr.Steele Ms.Dipshirt and then ban yourself for stupidity and gullibility.Conservatism in the traditional sense is dead along with that glorious dream of democracy.The current administration has drawn the battle lines and they fall along the lines of race.Wake up or be buried along with your name. Have you been living in a cave or are you just the product of the public school system?

inevitable on November 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

To bad we can’t meet IRL.

Americannodash on November 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM

*Too

Americannodash on November 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Mike, get some hair plugs and you’ll have a shot at a VP slot next time round.

chickasaw42 on November 10, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Frick Steele and teh RNC. I’m mailing my latest request for donations with a note: I sent Doug Hoffman $25 and I feel good about that. If I sent you that $25, you would have given it to Scozzodouchebag, who wrecked it for Doug. So tell me exactly why I should ever entertain giving you a dime?? Steele – time for you to hit the bricks, you are worthless.

masterofelke on November 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Forgot to add – Scary Black Steele. What a freaking joke, some empty suit mf scare who?? Limp dick RINOS??

masterofelke on November 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM

“Righties”? “Righties”?

Uh, Allahpundit, are you aware that you are a blog administrator on a right-wing blog?

I wonder how Michelle feels about her blog administrator calling her, and Ed, and all the rest of us, “righties”?

Say, man, if you weren’t so adamant about your conservative bona fides, I would begin to wonder about you.

Of course, I have always said two things about you:

1) You are no conservative. You are either a libertarian, or an anarchist.
2) Your atheism will not allow you to stay on the right for too much longer. Sooner or later, you will make the choice to move left, after all everyone knows conservatives have a judeo-Christian value system, which you do not, and a view of morals that hold to objective moral absolutes, which, being an atheist, you obviously cannot.

As far as Michael Steele is concerned, I called him a buffoon months ago, what he has done here just confirms my suspicions. No RNC money from me until this jackass is gone, period.

Joe Pyne on November 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Steele has apparently gotten it into his head that his main job is to try to swing the black vote over to the republicans. Does anyone here think the black vote is in play in 2012? Or ever? He is wasting precious time and resources spinning his wheels like this.

BDavis on November 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Wait a minute, is Steele somehow saying that the party of angry old white men doesn’t like black people? But black people LOVE republcans – just check out GOP.com!

simplesimon on November 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Sad to say, but Steele doesn’t appear very bright.

Hannity helped get him into the chair position, but I think Steele is in above his head and needs to leave gracefully.

scotash on November 11, 2009 at 1:07 AM

inevitable on November 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

dipsh!T. Ban this person.Americannodash on November 10, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I agree ban this person.
I think, although no proof of it, that these people who blog, nuke them for all solutions, and bigot statements, are really plants (troll) to make us look bad. Then they can say, that on Hot Air, so many times it was Bigot view points, or calls to violent action.

Ed Laskie on November 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM

The reason why some Republicans responded to him with fear is not because he is black, but because they thought he was a democrat.

leereyno on November 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM

It´s just Steele reflexively doing what he always does: agree with whomever he is talking to. He can´t say no. I have defended him in the past but I´m not going to anymore.

el gordo on November 11, 2009 at 4:38 AM

Allahpundit, he didn’t say “Some white Republicans are scared of me.” You shouldn’t change the quote to make someone say what you wanted them to say instead of what they did say.

David Blue on November 11, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Mr. Steele;

It is your lack of courage that frightens conservatives, no matter the color.

I’ve known you were timid and insecure for a long time, but I never expected you would project it in that manner.

Please step down and serve your conservative brethren in a different capacity. Please.

Saltysam on November 11, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Gotta agree with many previous commenters. Steele is right but for the wrong reason. Color doesn’t scare me. Stupid people in leadership positions scare the crap out of me.

SKYFOX on November 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM

What a disaster this guy is.

lawya on November 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM