Jail time for not buying coverage?

posted at 9:11 am on November 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I wonder if Nancy Pelosi tried out her “we won the election” argument on freshman Democrats in Congressional districts carried by John McCain in 2008?  If so, she’s already lost half of them, according to USA Today.  Seven of the twelve freshman from conservative districts have announced their opposition to the Pelosi version of ObamaCare, scheduled for a vote this weekend:

There are a dozen first-term Democrats representing districts that Republican presidential nominee John McCain won last year. So far, six have announced that they will vote against their party’s health care bill.

Update, 5:43 p.m. ET: Now there are seven. The New York Daily News has just published a statement from hometown Rep. Michael McMahon, D-N.Y. He’s in the no column. “I believe the net negatives of this bill outweight the positive effects,” McMahon says.

Five of those announcements came today. All of the lawmakers who announced opposition cited concerns about the price tag of the legislation, estimated by the Congressional Budget Office to be more than $1 trillion over 10 years.

“After months of thoroughly reviewing legislative proposals and speaking with constituents and stakeholders, I am not satisfied that this bill before us is a sustainable solution,” said Rep. Frank Kratovil, D-Md. Alert readers will remember that he was the congressman hung in effigy during the height of the August town hall meeting uproar.

But … but … but … those were just astroturfers! They’re not representative of the constituents, who really want government to take away their choices and lock them up for failing to buy their patriotic health-care coverage:

Today, Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee Dave Camp (R-MI) released a letter from the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) confirming that the failure to comply with the individual mandate to buy health insurance contained in the Pelosi health care bill (H.R. 3962, as amended) could land people in jail.  The JCT letter  makes clear that Americans who do not maintain “acceptable health insurance coverage” and who choose not to pay the bill’s new individual mandate tax (generally 2.5% of income), are subject to numerous civil and criminal penalties, including criminal fines of up to $250,000 and imprisonment of up to five years.

In response to the JCT letter, Camp said:  “This is the ultimate example of the Democrats’ command-and-control style of governing – buy what we tell you or go to jail.  It is outrageous and it should be stopped immediately.”

The radical nature of the bill has finally become clear.  The Democrats most at risk have begun peeling away, abortion vote or no abortion vote.  They have to win re-election in less than a year, and this will be Exhibit A for their Republican challengers looking to paint them as big-spending statists more interested in bullying their constituents than listening to them.

Don’t be surprised to see more Democrats start to jump overboard this weekend.  Steny Hoyer didn’t think he had the votes yesterday, and the longer this goes, the fewer he will wind up having.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The House Madam will get her Congresstitutes in line to vote for the Health Industry takeover (which neither she nor her House of Ill Repute will partake) while the ‘johns’ get to pay the bill.

SeniorD on November 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM

How did that little tidbit go unnoticed until now? Is it new?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

To summarize:

Buy this product to increase the profits of our campaign donors or we’ll put you in prison.

Bruce in NH on November 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I called Nasty’s office and told them that I did not want to go to jail. I also can’t afford $250,000 in fines for not be able to afford $15,000 for premiums. I suggest that you all call. Ask her to ban coat hangers, too.
Washington, DC 20515 – (202) 225-4965

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Don’t be surprised to see more Democrats start to jump overboard this weekend.

Gawd, I hope so. I want this nightmare to come to an end. Is it 2012 yet?

petefrt on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I saw that jail thing. I guess it’s the same language you see on your traffic citation, too, but that is sure going to go over like a lead balloon with the public.

I don’t think Pelosi has the votes. I think she played chicken with calling for it this weekend, but it’s the election on Tuesday that won the day.

The pundits may not have really gotten the message and chosen to focus on NY, but the real politicians definitely saw the trend and are choosing not to walk the plank.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

On the bright side, AR-15s are back in plentiful supply at my local gun shop and the prices are back in triple digits.

Bruce in NH on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Shovel ready jobs building more prisons. Apply at 1600 Penn Av. Washington, DC. BTW, whatever happened to hr3200, the original health care bill already passed?

Kissmygrits on November 7, 2009 at 9:19 AM

How did that little tidbit go unnoticed until now? Is it new?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Drudge had it on line yesterday. The fine for not paying for your kids in up to $250,000. Call them and tell them you can not afford it.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:19 AM

We will need to build more jails or we can let the convicted murderer and thugs out to make room for those criminals who don’t pay for health insurance.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I can only imagine the raucous fights in the yard between Cell Block (D) and Cell Block (R).

What are these crazy people thinking?

sherry on November 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

How quickly can the Carpathia get to those in the Dem lifeboats?

Nancy, you’re going down with the Titannic.

BuckeyeSam on November 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Funny. There’s a hilarious skit in there waiting to be written!

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I’d say let all the Dems go down with the ship…this is there baby and their fearless leader…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I can afford neither the 15,000 dollar plan nor the 2.5% pay cut. What do I do? I’m going to move to mexico and sneak back into the united States. I’ll just live in the shadows and do the jobs Americans don’t want to do all the while getting free health care. Thanks Sucka’s!

Mord on November 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

What are the ramifications for voting/passing legislation that is clearly unconstitutional?

Key West Reader on November 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

WE WILL HAVE TO BUILD MORE JAILS.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Washington, DC 20515 – (202) 225-4965

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Blogless and others: Sadly, Nasty’s voicemail box is full(!) and it’s unclear where else you can leave a message. Fine representatives these dopes are: how can the public get through if they are blocked? Same with my local representative’s office in VA. Maybe they just don’t want to hear our voices any more. Dopes….

chai on November 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Guess after 33 years I’ll be retiring to jail.

Thanks America!

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I’ll find humor after this thing dies a fiery, violent death.

hoosiermama on November 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

sherry on November 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

(D) will lose, because:
1) They’re wusses.
2) They cannot claim Victimhood if they win.

Patrick S on November 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

chai on November 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Fax in your protest! Call her California office. Call Bart Stupid. Call the blue dogs. There is a lot you can do. Google blue dogs and call every last one of them. Fax them too. Of course we can do something. We the people, remember?

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM

The kids are grown and oddly enough I have the same health care that Congress has (Cadillac I think they call it) but I am sure going to let them hear from me. There are a lot of young adults out there who have no or less than approved insurance that are doing the best they can. They don’t deserve to be threatened.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Hmm, this might have potential. I’m thinking that we need a some kind of Auto Maintenance Insurance, and that every person in the country must come to my shop, pay me lots of money, because just to be certain you need that oil change, I’m going to perform hours and hours of expensive tests, and of course, at hourly shop rates which you will pay me or else I will remove strategic compenents to prevent you from driving your car.

I like it!

JamesLee on November 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Blogless: how does one find fax numbers? I’ll fax them all. I only see office phone numbers. Even emailing doesn’t work if you don’t live in that district.

chai on November 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Take the time to call these guys. Fight.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Welcome to the camp…..

…..I guess you all know why you’re here.

1921 C DRUM on November 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Just exactly what kind mentality would sit back and agree to jail people who don’t buy health insurance? Who is sitting in the halls of Congress and what country were they raised in? If a lot of Dems loose their seats in 2010 it’s my opinion that Nancy Pelosi will be more to blame than Obama. Why oh why don’t they get rid of her? She is bringing them down so hard and so fast that it’s becoming a blur.

jeanie on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Roof over my head in old age? check

3 meals a day? cheeck

free health care? check

No taxes? check

Come and get me coppers.

katy the mean old lady on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Eugene Robinson’s crack about Gov. Palin’s book being mandatory reading falls flat as we find that this Bill is unread for the most part. These people are disgusting

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Okay, you refuse. They say go to jail. You say “No, come and get me.” They show up and try to apprehend you. You menace with a weapon of some sort because the government actually has the audacity to to try to incarcerate you for not buy something the government is selling and they shoot and kill you. Is it ironic to say you were killed because you wouldn’t agree to buy health insurance?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

This is what we get when the third most powerful political figure in the nation is an out of touch doddering old gal from the most liberal district in the land and a president that never ran a business, worn a pair of work gloves or ever had a real job.

FireBlogger on November 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Nancy Pelosi is mentally ill. This Empress has no sanity.

EMD on November 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM

GO HERE FOR THEIR FAX NUMBERS:

They may pass this insult, but let’s make sure they know we are watching them. Then next year we focus on the vulnerable ones who voted for it. Clean the house, so to speak. We can do it.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Well, at least living in CA, I’m assured that the jail time will never happen. We don’t have room for even DUI offenders right now, nevermind this. *haha

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Does this really surprise anyone? What do you expect from a bunch of socialists led by a chosen one that hates America?
Someone needs a lifetime membership to the insane asylum,but is it them or the people who voted them in ?

flyoverboy on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Under the Pelosi plan, jail would be a lot cheaper.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Charlie Rangel can hide hundreds of thousands of dollars in income for years and he doesn’t go to jail.
Some average Joe on the street doesn’t buy health insurance and now he is a criminal.
I have never seen right and wrong so reversed in my whole lifetime.

When will Democrats stop their war against America….?

NeoKong on November 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

That would make a great SNL skit….

ok, ok maybe in a parallel universe.

katy on November 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

How did that little tidbit go unnoticed until now? Is it new?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

No, Ma’am. It was in HR3200 also as I posted many times.
And thats not the worst of it. This bill establishes a PERMANENT SOCIALIST ARISTOCRACY.

Don’t take my word for it (even though I have pages and pages of notes) PLEASE READ THE BILL.

I don’t have 15k to buy their BS policy and wouldn’t if I did.

Piglosi and company have no idea what they are about to do. They live in a complete fantasy land with fairies and unicorns.

Do they think Americans are gonna tolerate this sort of fascism?

dogsoldier on November 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Don’t be surprised to see more Democrats start to jump overboard this weekend. Steny Hoyer didn’t think he had the votes yesterday, and the longer this goes, the fewer he will wind up having.

I hoped that headline on Drudge last night would drive everyone away! What in the world are Democrats thinking?

I am simply amazed at the stupidity of the approach to the whole thing.

It’s like they just decided to write the worst bill ever! LIke that was the goal in the beginning!

petunia on November 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

They will let the convicted “victims of society” out, so that the “real criminals” may be locked up.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Constitution? We don’t don’t need no stinkin’ Constitution.
Pelosi, you hag! Pass this abomination today. You and Barry own it. Then watch your aproval numbers drop to the negative numbers and watch the American People drive your sorry rumps out of office. You are nothing but a bunch of Elitist, America-hating Socialist snobs whose 15 minutes are just about up.

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Please email your family and friends and let them know that Nasty will send them to jail if we don’t obey her laws!

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

One serious question to anyone who would venture a guess. If they pass this, would we be able to repeal it after we retake the Congress in 2010 and White House in 2012?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I appreciate that you found a pony in this barn full of sh!t. Very funny, thanks for the smile.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM
///
mmm,mmm,mmm!

ohiobabe on November 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Mord on November 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

The law of unintended consequences adds a new amendment.

1921 C DRUM on November 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM
From what I heard Rush say earlier,we can get some back but not all.

ohiobabe on November 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

They are ending the war on drugs and starting up the war on the drugless. They figure it will be less expensive.

petunia on November 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

202-225-0100

joeswampy on November 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Australia was born out of England’s running out of jail space. The problem for America is, there are no more uninhabited continents left.

Honestly, if it takes 1.4 million workers to run the British health care system for 50 million people- how many will it take to run Pelosi’s system- ON TOP OF all the citizens who will need to be incarcerated for not complying! This is a sick, absurd joke!

parteagirl on November 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I don’t know that answer to that but I do have to point out that although the taxes start immediately the actual health care doesn’t begin until 2013. I can’t imagine why since apparently it is going to keep the U.S. economy from collapsing.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Mr. Glock says I don’t have to submit.

Ordering more ammo today

bill30097 on November 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

No, it’s a logical conclusion – and can apply to any theft tax.

OldEnglish on November 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM

My new congressman, Bill Owens, managed to break probably his most important campaign promise within an hour of taking the oath yesterday – he is now supporting the public option.

So glad NY-23 elected a man of principle, a man who has his convictions and won’t, you know, get called on the carpet in the Speaker’s office and TOLD how he is voting.

Red Cloud on November 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM

If one thing ever becomes clear to your average liberal after this it’s that Pelosi and company regard them(and us) and their businesses and employment as chess pieces to be moved around the board as suits them and according to their rules. We are no longer people to the Gods on the hill, just inanimate pieces of some big game they play. It may take a while for the horror to dawn on progressives, but dawn it will, even on these. There’s something terribly wrong with Nancy and more terribly wrong in the House since they let her stay.

jeanie on November 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

They better be jumping ship for this unconstitutional piece of garbage…

I WILL be exercising my liberties if they pass it.

Skywise on November 7, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Blogless: thanks and even better, that list shows all rep’s email contact info, which for me at least is faster and easier that faxing. Fun emailing these jerks.

chai on November 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Not in the Obama/Pelosi world. Backwards is forwards. Norm is not cool. Patriotic is not cool. Control is king. Screw these numbnuts

flyoverboy on November 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Can you see the inscription on the headstone…”I refused to purchase a government health care plan so they gave me this six feet of dirt for free”

Rovin on November 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

202-225-0100

joeswampy on November 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

They are home, so call!

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Gawd, I hope so. I want this nightmare to come to an end. Is it 2012 2010 yet?

petefrt on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

If we pick up 25-30 House seats and 3-4 in the Senate we should be able to put this crap to bed for another generation.

BPD on November 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Nasty’s office says we will pay a “small fine” if we choose not to buy health insurance. lol!

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Red Cloud on November 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Thank you, Dede, eh?

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM

ROFL, Jail time, yeah Obama and Pelosi can kiss my ass, LOL Jail time. FU.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

OldEnglish on November 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I hope so. (And thanks too Cindy) But I am on track to continue my service health care through premiums to Tri-Care and Delta Dental. Let me guess. While we’re waiting to revert this unconstitutional crap sammy, all these other firms and their policies fold and what I worked my career for is gone?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

My CONgressman is one of those vulnerable freshman Dems who announced opposition to the bill. I hope no lets him know he’s toast regardless of his vote on health care. I’m already seeing Stop Pelosi bumper stickers around town.

flyfisher on November 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Again I say go for it nancy. Try to shove this piece of crap down America’s throat…and on January 21, 2013 the dems will begin their 50 year hiatus from any congressional leadership!

C’mon Nancy make my day!

jbh45 on November 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

It just can not be constitutional to throw people in jail because they do not buy health insurance. No way. I wonder what the reaction of the public will be if this thing becomes law and people start getting locked up?

Terrye on November 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Thank you, Dede, eh?

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM

What are you smoking today Ann. You’re saying Hoffman would have supported SIngle Payer?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

the taxes start immediately the actual health care doesn’t begin until 2013.
Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Mornin’ Cindy! I’ve wondered why taxes will be collected immediately and then the health care won’t begin until 2012…..hmmmm. I am so tired of being pushed around by these thugs I hope and pray the whole lot of them are replaced in 2010.

I will be at a meeting with one of my Congressmen after this vote this weekend and I will be asking lots and lots of questions.

yoda on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

This is LEGAL EXTERMINATION.

The communist eugenics will finally be able to control the life and death of everyone.

ms on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Terrye on November 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Its not constitutional.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

The fine situation is yet another irritating aspect. By putting it on a percentage basis, they ensure than middle-class people who forego health insurance to make the mortgage payment will pay a much bigger fine if they, then, need to buy the insurance later.

That’s exactly what’s going on in so much of the misdemeaner category now. Ever actually shown up to traffic court?

It’s amazing how the bigger offenders pay far, far less than those who have a rolling stop sign offense.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

You guys are frustrated and wee-weed up?. Try being an Insurance Agent right now.

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM

ROFL, Jail time, yeah Obama and Pelosi can kiss my ass, LOL Jail time. FU.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL – where you get free government health care.

flyfisher on November 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM

So how are all those people who are out of work or impoverished supposed to buy insurance? Won’t this guarantee that a lot of people go to jail? And isn’t that the purpose? Seems like an easy way to single out people who won’t readily comply with government tyranny. Progressives also have a history of hating the poor underclass. Isn’t that why Planned Parenthood was started? What are the consequences of this. People will end up in jail stripped of their rights, then because no one will employ a convict they will be dependent on the government when they get out of jail, and will never be able to purchase a gun. I doubt 5 years in prison is a misdemeanor.

chicagojedi on November 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

They’ll let all the incarcerated illegals out to make room.

Priorities…..

1921 C DRUM on November 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Terrye on November 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM

And will I be a felon? Will I lose my right to vote. Will they (try) takeing my weapons?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

No, where you’d conjure that from? No, Hoffman would have clearly voted against the bill. Thanks Dede was that she assured her voters that Owens was OK to vote for. I’m sure many believed her and accepted his word on this vote. He lied.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

They can throw me in jail when they pry me from my cold dead fingers.

Akzed on November 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL – where you get free government health care.

flyfisher on November 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I wanna see them try.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Its not constitutional.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

So what are the ramifications if they pass legislation that is clearly unconstitutional? ? ?

Key West Reader on November 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Do they think Americans are gonna tolerate this sort of fascism?

dogsoldier on November 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

As brash as they are I don’t think they give a hoot what we say or think. There are those that only understand a good a** whoopin

flyoverboy on November 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

That, to me is the biggest danger – to be left with nothing but the govt option.

OldEnglish on November 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM

He lied.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

yep that is what politicians do…….

jbh45 on November 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Bruce in NH on November 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

$9.99? I’ll take two.

davidk on November 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL – where you get free government health care.

flyfisher on November 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I wanna see them try.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM

It’s laughable on it’s face. I’ll just talk to the mayor and have him declare us a “sanctuary city.” Or maybe Haley Barbour can declare Mississippi a “sanctuary state.”

flyfisher on November 7, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I’ve been wondering the same.

The few million Americans who forget, purposely don’t comply, act out of protest…..there aren’t enough jail cells for them unless you let all of the robbers, rapists, murderers, drug dealers, mugs, thugs, pugs, deperadoes, and ne’er do wells out. Screw the fines, what are they gonna do about that, huh?

It is insanity. Mass public protest and lack of comliance would send the entire house of cards crashing down in a few short years.

There is one positive to all of this if they do pass it……it will preemptively make the Democrat Party a footnote to history and the “progressive” movement will be reduced to a sad, rarely mentioned bad memory.

They are paving the way for right-of-center rule but they think they are marching into the history books as the ultimate expression of FDR. Pelosi is insane.

JoeinTX on November 7, 2009 at 9:59 AM

What galls me about this entire procedure is that nobody in Congress should be in favor of it. It hurts America. We send these people there to PROTECT us, not to assault us. I wonder when people are going to start calling the president O’hitler?

Mojave Mark on November 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM

flyfisher on November 7, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I love Haley Barbour.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM

One of the big problems for the Blue Dogs is that they could vote for this bill and then see ObamaCare die in the Senate, so they would be throwing away their seat for nothing. Don’t think they don’t know that.

PackerBronco on November 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM

OldEnglish on November 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM

That has been the plan all along.

thomasaur on November 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Last I heard, he said he wouldn’t vote for Single Payer.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM

It’ll be challenged right off the bat. The States, lobbying groups, individual citizens, corporations will all have standing to challenge this and get injunctions issued against it.

elduende on November 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Under the Pelosi plan, jail would be a lot cheaper.

bloggless on November 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

And the health care is free!

Do they think Americans are gonna tolerate this sort of fascism?

dogsoldier on November 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

When I recently asked Congressman James Clyburn, the third ranking Democrat in the House, to tell me “Where in the Constitution the federal government is authorized to regulate everyone’s healthcare–, he replied that most of what Congress does is not authorized by the Constitution, but they do it anyway.

davidk on November 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM