Video: Footage shows Hasan in November at … Homeland Security event

posted at 9:11 pm on November 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

Even worse: It was a presidential transition event.

Daniel Kaniewski, the institute’s deputy director, confirms that Hasan attended task force meetings as an audience member, and stresses that he was not a member of the task force. “All of our events are open to the public,” Kaniewski says, “and when someone RSVPs we put their name in the [report] so everyone knows who was in the room.” He says institute staffers recall Hasan attending at least one task force event, and that he RSVP’d for several. “We do recall him speaking at one of our events as an audience member,” he says, “but none of us recall what he actually said. Generally, our events are attended by people in the homeland security community, and Hasan had a very legitimate reason to be there.

Like Rob Port says, this isn’t an issue with The One, who couldn’t have known, but an issue with the military’s procedures for dealing with troubled soldiers. Ed asked the million-dollar question earlier today but Ann Althouse takes it a step further:

How was it that the military trained and employed this man in psychiatry and did not perceive his deep problems? I think that part of psychiatric training involves subjecting the would-be psychiatrist to psychological analysis. Why did this man slip through the system? His job was to treat others, in an environment full of experts in the field of psychiatry. Why did he remain an insider if he was the sort of person who could do what he eventually did? These are serious questions, not adequately answered by the idea that people “snap.”

I want to know why what was wrong with Hasan was not detected? Was he given a pass because he was Muslim? Is there a fear of suspecting or offending Muslims in the military that keeps people who should see signs of dysfunction from acknowledging what they see or doing anything about it? On the other hand, if it really is the case that people in the military are harassing Muslims, that too should not be ignored. There should be rigorous equality for Muslims. It shouldn’t even be necessary to point out what is obvious: Muslims in the military shouldn’t experience special treatment either of a positive or a negative kind.

It may be just as likely that they looked the other way because Hasan’s a doctor, something the military always needs more of, especially with troops returning from combat and desperate for PTSD counseling. Or it may be that they humored him because he had alleged harassment by other soldiers and they feared a discrimination lawsuit if they tried to get rid of him. This, I think, is going to be where this story has legs: How exactly did this guy end up in a position to gun down 43 people when his file was teeming with red flags? Stay tuned.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Baxter Greene on November 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Well said. The media is beyond despicable now. It is now treasonous. There are molding a terrorist attack into a political “maybe…hes got PTSD…or he was harassed for his faith” bullshit. I am sick of this spin. It is like they have no regard for the thirty victims that were gunned by that crazed vermin.

nyx on November 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM

The press spent 8 years blaming Bush for every little thing in the world…..

The same press is now going to spend at least 4 years making sure nothing is Obama’s fault.

Funny how things change in 12 months.

Rndguy on November 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Unemployment 10%
10-20 thousand unhappy voters on the steps of the White House
Facts leaking out about Cap and Trade and Health Care Bill.
Axie to Rahmie we need an uber distraction….activate Ft. Hood
nondhimmie on November 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Winner!

bbordwell on November 7, 2009 at 8:08 AM

MSNBC’s “terrorism analyst” is a terrible presenter in this vid. He had about 20 seconds of stuff to say, and they dragged the interview on for 5 minutes.

connertown on November 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM

As dishonest a question as I’ve seen on this. You know why, and it has everything to do with the One.

I am a career DoD bureaucrat / military officer. I look around on January 21, 2009, and what do I see? A Muslim background President, member of the Copperhead Party who has been comparing anyone in a uniform who isn’t on board (Shinseki et al) to Nazis. A Copperhead controlled Congress, who controls my budget and/or confirms my promotions. Think that might have a “chilling effect” on my enthusiasm to investigate or punish this guy? After all, it’s not like my new CinC hasn’t been BFF with terrorists his whole career.

SDN on November 7, 2009 at 8:35 AM

SDN on November 7, 2009 at 8:35 AM

You sound like you are next to go on a shooting rampage. Own a gun?

Decider on November 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Was anything I said untrue?

Rhetorical question, Copperhead.

SDN on November 7, 2009 at 10:19 AM

You sound like you are next to go on a shooting rampage. Own a gun?

Decider on November 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

How do you get that this person sounds like they are next to go on a shooting rampage? ????
Clue me in, because I TOTALLY miss what you think you see.

bridgetown on November 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM

nyx on November 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM

The suggestion he suffered from PTSD is prima facie absurdum, since he was not combat deployed. Faced with that fact, the media resort to extolling some theory of Second-hand Traumatic Stress Disorder.

lacerta on November 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM

The military’s P.C. madness killed everyone at Fort Hood almost as much as Hasan, since, without their demented pussyfooting, this scumbag would have been ejected years ago.

Hasan then might have shot up a civilian group, judging by his Fifth Columnist mindset.

But at least our first line of defenders in uniform wouldn’t be self-compromised from within.

KILL THE P.C. BEFORE IT KILLS YOU.

profitsbeard on November 7, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Barack = lightning.

Ehud Barak might disagree he has a muslim name. And as used by Kenyans means blessed.

FYI – Barach in Hebrew also means blessed. Ehud Barak’s name is Jewish/Hebrew through and through. Barack as in the President’s name is an Arabic word which also means Blessed. Not Kenyan. Just thought I’d clear up your language translation issues.

Arabic and Hebrew are very close in a lot of words…..

mjk on November 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Gawker has a memo showing that this terrorist was part of Obama’s New Directions National Security Transition Team.
I believe that Ace’s website also has the document. Check it out before it gets scrubbed.

eaglewingz08 on November 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Why am i not surprised

I am only shocked because
The DEMOCRATS didnt invite
OSAMA BIN LADEN to head the event..

FRIGGIN IDIOTS..

veteranoutrage on November 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM

How exactly did Obama become president when his resume is virtually non-existent, except for some lefty anti-American stuff?

This is not rocket science,
…just like figuring out the ‘real motive’ behind the Ft.Hood shooter.

Barack Hussein Obama is a plant, a Manchurian candidate.

No one comes up that fast & that flawlessly,… w/out a trail of any sort…surrounded by scandal & virtually untouchable…..w/ no knowledge of American history & no American ‘sensibilities’ (simple sht like blue jeans).

lobosan5 on November 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Here I stand. I can do no other.

SDN on November 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Wait a minute. Aren’t these people who want to dismiss the religious angle the same ones who always revert to the white christian extremist Timothy McVeigh when anyone brings up Muslim terrorism in America? But now it’s PTSD?

flameofjudah on November 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Second hand PTSD is like second hand smoke to Democrats. It kills as many people and is just as deadly.

/Sarc