The woman who stopped a mass murderer

posted at 12:55 pm on November 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

All of us have spent a lot of time looking into the actions, motivations, and background of the man who murdered 13 people at Fort Hood and wounded dozens of others.  The New York Daily News gives us a look at the civilian responder who stopped the carnage, taking a bullet herself in the process.  The quick and decisive actions of Police Sergeant Kimberly Munley saved lives and gives an object lesson in the value of aggressive action against rampagers:

The hero cop who ended the bloody rampage at Fort Hood had been directing traffic moments before she confronted the gunman and pumped four bullets into him despite being shot herself.

Civilian police Sgt. Kimberly Munley and her partner responded within three minutes of reported gunfire Thursday afternoon, Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said Friday.

Munley, who had been trained in active-response tactics, rushed into the building and confronted the shooter as he was turning a corner, Cone said. …

Cone said Munley’s aggressive response training taught her that “if you act aggressively to take out a shooter you will have less fatalities.”

That is a good lesson to remember.  The attacker in this case gave little consideration to his personal security, by all accounts, and was not going to stop until someone stopped him.  Munley understood this and went against every human survival instinct to pursue a confrontation with a murderous lunatic — and nearly got killed for her efforts.  Her heroism saved lives at Fort Hood.

Munley will survive her wounds.   Like the shooter, the hospital has stabilized her condition, and she spent last evening checking to see what the extent of the rampage was.  Munley deserves the deep appreciation of the nation for her gallantry in action. (via Atlas Shrugs)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

* Agoura

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM

God bless you, Kimberly!!

Khun Joe on November 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM

God bless you Sgt. Munley and may your recovery be quick and complete.

And watch for the Media, they speak with forked tongues.

How soon will it be before someone starts asking if she read the perp his Miranda rights before filling him full of holes?

Left Coast Right Mind on November 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Godspeed, Sgt. Munley! Your actions were heroic in my book. No matter what some here have said about it being your “job,” what happens in training and what occurs in real life are two different animals. Your selfless actions saved many lives that would have been lost but for you.

Bless you and get healed from your wounds soon!

Tennman on November 6, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Where do we find such Americans? Thank you, Sgt. Munley.

Meanwhile, I have to have drills to teach my students to close and lock the lecture room door, turn off the lights, be quiet and scatter throughout the room. I keep reminding the administration of my college that “gun free” translates to “victim full” zones.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Thank you Sgt Munley. An American hero in the line of fire. Your quick work undoubtedly lessened the tragedy that was unfolding. There are millions of us fellow citizens applauding your bravery.

Dog bites on November 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Look Dude, I’m not the one claiming any expertise. You are. I’m not the one parsing the details of this tragedy looking for holes to inject my bravado and bluster. We get it, you’re a real tough guy — certainly tougher than any woman!

You’re a super-stud walking around Agour Hills with your matching shoulder-carry .45s. Watch out for squirrels Sgt. Slaughter.

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Your projecting again Einstein. If you’re an attention whore, there’s no need to mock others to get your fix. Just spew your highly intellectual thoughts on the board. Most people can smell your bullcrap. So put up or shut up.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Thank you Officer Munley for laying your life on the line to stop this piece of human debris. God Bless You.
Remember: “Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his brothers.” John 15:13

Jeff from WI on November 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I’m guessing it’s going to be LT Munley by the end of the weekend……. Great job.

JeffinOrlando on November 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I got your projection right here.

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

That’ll learn ‘em.

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM

In so many of these events, someone emerges that completely changes the planned outcome of the shooter. Being shot in the leg yet keeping her head clear enough to take this guy down is the real testament to her strength and character. Thank you for your service Sgt. Munley.

24K lady on November 6, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Where I teach, in the aftermath of the Virginia Tech massacre they decided to put up notices in every classroom about what to do in the event of that sort of emergency. The first instruction is be sure the door is closed and locked, and if you can’t do that, to put barricades against it so that it’s harder to breach.

The doors can only be locked from the corridor with a key (and the instructors don’t have the keys). Even worse, though, the firecode mandates that all doors have to open outward, into the corridor. So you can’t barricade it closed, either. What a farce.

ProfessorMiao on November 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I got your projection right here.

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Epic fail. Moving on.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Women rule. :)

AnninCA

I know you are posting this comment at least partially tongue-in-cheek. But it is interesting to point out that the New Life Church incident In Colorado Springs came to an abrupt halt when a female guard did the same type of thing. Kind of makes me wonder if women have some kind of advantage in these situations.

ObjectionSustained on November 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Can you tell me what country has the lowest rate of

personal and property crimes?

Answer: Israel. Why? Everybody carries a gun. One of the dumbest things to do on the planet is rob a bank or convenience store in Israel.

Ann, even you would feel safe there. Wild west…huzzah.

BobMbx on November 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Do not forget Switzerland. Every citizen must keep an actual assault weapon.

Johan Klaus on November 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Damn… I love strong women… It’s just so…….
Hope heals okay and goes right on being awesome.

RalphyBoy on November 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM

ObjectionSustained on November 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM

The avantage is training; Situational awareness and the ability to use the weapon and hit the target. ( of course I think that a 45 caliber would have been better, because the terrorist would, more than likely, have gone down with the first shot).

Johan Klaus on November 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I got your projection right here.

The Race Card on November 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Real classy.

Johan Klaus on November 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Kimberly, get well soon. Hero is a great description.

Hog Wild on November 6, 2009 at 5:52 PM

God bless Police Sergeant Kimberly Munley. Thank you, Sergeant, for your bravery and good aim. It always amazes me when I see people willing to risk their lives for others. I am so proud of you. I pray you recover quickly and fully.

Loxodonta on November 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM

baldilocks on November 6, 2009

I am so happy to see you posting I this thread. I miss you, your common sense, your good and brave heart, and your humor when you’re not here. Just your presence adds so much to this place.

Loxodonta on November 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM

The first instruction is be sure the door is closed and locked…

ProfessorMiao on November 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM

May I further suggest that when ten strong young men are lined up against a wall by the shooter in order to execute them, that they quit their sniveling and rush the bastard?

Maquis on November 6, 2009 at 6:12 PM

The Race Card on November 6, 2009

I always read and often agree with and enjoy your posts. I especially enjoy your self-deprecating humor. But I really don’t know why you’re having a fight with Andy.

Loxodonta on November 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Boy Savage is on it today. He is enraged by how Obama acted yesterday. He wants to know why no one was armed. He wants to know which president disarmed the men on base. He wants to know where were the MP’s. He wants to know why this guy done up in his white garb yelling his jihad is being talked about like some kind of stressed out soldier.
He is also asking why he was still in the service like you are.
These are the questions that we need answered Obama. We are tired of the liberal PC bull!

patriotparty1 on November 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Savage says too that congress should have worn black arm bands and closed down today. Hell Obama did’nt even order flags at half mast did he? Gov. Perry of Texas ordered it for Texas. Savage says that Obama will lose the military vote over his treatment of them on this. He could’nt even make a half assed statement until somebody wrote him one for today. It still sucked with no emotion at all.

patriotparty1 on November 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Way ta go, Sarge! Nicely done. Get well soon. You deserve all the thank you’s and praise you are receiving, and then some. A grateful nation cannot thank you enough. If only our leaders could learn from your quick and decisive action.
You are a HERO!

From one Sergeant to another, God Bless You!

sgtstogie on November 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I only quibble with Officer Munley’s accuracy.

Now we have to waste medicine, expensive equipment, legal time and tons of taxpayer money to salvage and presecute the POS Hasan …for no particularly useful outcome.

Any idiot can determine that he was a Sudden Jihad Syndrome Islamic terrorist.

But the uber-idiots in the media, however, will try to hide the OBVIOUS (It’s the Islam, stupid!), once again by quibbling: Was it PTSD? Was he harassed by bigots?, ad nauseam.

But their disinformational p.c. tripe smells worse with each regurgitation.

If scumbag Hasan doesn’t have a fatal embolism in the hospital, I hope he hangs from a rope soon.

And Munley is fully-recovered enough to attend.

profitsbeard on November 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Maquis on November 6, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I don’t know if that was the case in Texas, but I would have thought that would be an instinct in military personnel.

mr.blacksheep on November 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM

As conservatives, we luv our strong hearty courageous women like Munley and Palin. They don’t whine full time.
Liberals and Muslims have no space for high achieving ladies.

seven on November 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Like most conservative women, I’m not a girl power, sisterhood type of person, but I wish there was a Sisterhood of Sgt. Kimberly Munleys that I could join.
God Bless you, Sgt. Munley, for saving lives yesterday.

CarolynM on November 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM

God bless her. May she have a front row seat at his military execution.

Mojave Mark on November 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM

profitsbeard on November 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM

The good news is that the scumbag was hit in the spinal cord, or so the newsreports are saying. They think he is paralyzed. I hope it was Sgt. Munley’s bullet that struck him from ever walking again.

Epic.

karenhasfreedom on November 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM

If the effete elitists running our nation had half the testicular fortitude that this lady does, we would not be experiencing Islamic terrorist attacks in our heartland eight years after 9-11.

Good job, American.

Venusian Visitor on November 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM

The first instruction is be sure the door is closed and locked…

ProfessorMiao on November 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Maquis on November 6, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Not surprisingly, that’s not on the list of steps to take. It’s the only one that would have any hope of success but they left it out.

ProfessorMiao on November 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Yay! We get to use the word ‘hero’ again!

tlynch001 on November 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Epic.

karenhasfreedom on November 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I wouldn’t mind the sound of a retired VA wheelchair going through the trapdoor along with Hasan.

You don’t need to be able to walk to dance at the end of a rope.

profitsbeard on November 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I think we have a new Department of Homeland Security Director for the first term of the Palin Administration.

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM

God bless her and the NY Daily news for honoring a great woman. Hope she gets well soon

Gracelynn on November 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM

You’ve got to love the irony: A Muslim fanatic who refused to be photographed with women is taken down by one while carrying out his jihad. God bless you, Sgt. Munley.

sgt_rich on November 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Deserves it and receives it!

sammypants on November 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM

From another blog.

I would point out that DOD civilian police officers do not get the LEO pay scale, the LEO retirement, do not have statutory law enforcement powers, and can not carry firearms off duty. Now might be a good time to correct this.

Link

mad saint jack on November 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I wish a Kimberly had been at Columbine.

Instead we had the worst of the worst Cops there that cared far more about saving their own lives than the poor students trapped in the school. What the cowards did was unforgivable I pray God can forgive them I can not. They caused the lives of many who could have been saved had they cared one wit for the poor students trapped in this school. In fact they made it worse by not allowing anyone to help these students. They forced these students to be like fish in a tank being shot. America darkest day in my opinion. Guess their motto was to cower and use human shields.

Steveangell on November 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I just heard that an MP arrived at the scene at the same time as Sgt. Munley and the military was not certain which person brought down the terrorist.

Johan Klaus on November 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM

God Bless her – this woman is what i would call Texas tough.

nagee76 on November 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM

KImberly, you are a real hero and the Country salutes you!

I’m sure our so called Commander in Chief will only say this if his handlers think the polls indicate he should.

Hobbes on November 6, 2009 at 10:52 PM

If you really want to support the female Sgt, ask your congressman to support H.R. 675 which would allow her and the rest of the Department of Army civilian police to carry their service weapons off duty, and make them full fledged federal police officers. I guarantee if she wasn’t a target before she’s a target now.

Even if the Maj wasn’t a terrorist, their sure will be some terror group looking to smack down a hero.

LordJack on November 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM

The way this whole story is being spun in the media I cringe to think how long until they “joe the plumber” her I hope it doesn’t happen.

proudteadrinker on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I guarantee if she wasn’t a target before she’s a target now.

Great point a Fatwa has no doubt been issued against her for stopping this terrorist action. Islams the only people to do such a detestable thing. Fatwas most likely against those that point out their true nature as well.

I Pray for America to become Islam free.

Steveangell on November 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Even if the Maj wasn’t a terrorist, and their sure will be some terror group looking to smack down a hero.

LordJack on November 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Fixed it.

Johan Klaus on November 7, 2009 at 12:09 AM

LordJack on November 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM

At least we have got concealed carry in Texas.

Johan Klaus on November 7, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Well by terrorist I mean part of a terrorists organization, or working upon their behalf.

Was it a political terror move, or did the Maj just loose it? We won’t know until the investigation is through. I mean for sake of information, when I heard the story on the radio they were reporting the base commander, a 3 star general was killed.

Which… no one else apparently reporting and ultimately false.

Yes, he incited terror. So yes you could call him a terrorists. However, my usage was to infer his participation in a terror group.

I saw the full quote from his post and I wouldn’t think it was alarming. His post was coming from an academic point of view, not his personal. He was referring that in the minds of the suicide bombers they see themselves as the same as a US Soldier jumping on a grenade.

He wasn’t saying in that post that he is proud of suicide bombers just pointing out the state of mind of a suicide bomber…. which seems something a psychiatric doctor is supposed to analyze. Don’t you think?

LordJack on November 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM

At least we have got concealed carry in Texas.

Johan Klaus on November 7, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Yes you have concealed carry however at this point in time, she would have to leave her personal weapon at home because she would be violating federal law for bringing her own gun to her base. Transiting too and from work for DOA, DAF, DON officers is when they are vulnerable.

They can’t bring a weapon with them, and they can’t take their service weapon home.

State and Federal police officers keep their weapons.

LordJack on November 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Was it a political terror move, or did the Maj just loose it?

Of course he lost it. Most likely 95% of terrorist “lost it”. It is well known that Islamics seek out mental and suicidal people to carry out these operations. That fact does not in any way excuse their actions or make them any other thing than a Terrorist.

13 people are dead and you are making excuses for the Terrorist. In my mind you are worse than the terrorist. People like you make Terrorist much more successful. I pray there is a place in hell for you next to Hasan. Of course I doubt you believe in hell.

Steveangell on November 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM

My sergeant always told me, when you make assumptions you make an A$$ out of me and an A$$ out of you. When did I ever state that just because he could have had a mental break down that it made it all right? This is a news blog website and I’m merely making conjunctor because it’s interesting.

I’m especially interested in this story because besides being an Army Staff Sergeant, I’m also a DOD Police Officer just like the Officer Munley.

Steveangell maybe you can show me where I made excuses, because i’m pretty sure you full of BS.

LordJack on November 7, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Loxodonta on November 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM

What a sweet thing to say! :)

baldilocks on November 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM

At least six months ago, Hasan came to the attention of law enforcement officials because of Internet postings about suicide bombings and other threats, including posts that equated suicide bombers to soldiers who throw themselves on a grenade to save the lives of their comrades.

Per Ed Morrisey’s Blog “Why was Hasan still in the Army?”

There was a grenade thrown amongs a group of American soldiers. One of the soldiers, feeling that it was to late for everyone to flee jumped on the grave with the intention of saving his comrades. Indeed he saved them. He inentionally took his life (suicide) for a noble cause i.e. saving the lives of his soldier. To say that this soldier committed suicide is inappropriate. Its more appropriate to say he is a brave hero that sacrificed his life for a more noble cause. Scholars have paralled this to suicide bombers whose intention, by sacrificing their lives, is to help save Muslims by killing enemy soldiers. If one suicide bomber can kill 100 enemy soldiers because they were caught off guard that would be considered a strategic victory. Their intention is not to die because of some despair. The same can be said for the Kamikazees in Japan. They died (via crashing their planes into ships) to kill the enemies for the homeland. You can call them crazy i you want but their act was not one of suicide that is despised by Islam. So the scholars main point is that “IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOUR INTENTION IS THE MAIN ISSUE” and Allah (SWT) knows best.

The post Hasan left on the internet.

You see debating these things like intent are kind of important. You know… for these things called trials. Since he’s still alive intent and state of mind kind of goes a long way in determining if he goes to the electric chair, prison for life, or the looney bin.

I was in no way making excuses. I was referring to Ed’s storing about why didn’t the Army see this coming. My point is that his comments don’t point him to be radical. Only a doctor writing a scholarly blog. It looks like the scholarly journal writings I read in college when I was getting my criminal justice degree.

So Steveangell, I’m hoping God won’t be sending me to hang out with the devil anytime soon. As you earlier commented on the fact that I feel for the officer’s safety because she is a target now, and the passing of H.R. 675 would go a long way to insuring that.

LordJack on November 7, 2009 at 12:54 AM

LordJack on November 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Government logic.

Johan Klaus on November 7, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Sorry here is the rest of your Quote.
Was it a political terror move or…
When you say or did he just lose it. That is excusing it. That you can’t see that or claim to not see that proves you are either ignorant (the rest of your post makes this unlikely) or that you have drunk the Political Correctness Koolaid Muslims and communist are using to destroy America.

I stand by my statement you are worse than the Terrorist. They would not survive without people like you.

Steveangell on November 7, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Here is a Facebook group to honor her http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=190018881933

margategop517 on November 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM

What a sweet thing to say! :)

baldilocks on November 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I only say sweet things to people who deserve them.

Loxodonta on November 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM

But I really don’t know why you’re having a fight with Andy.

Loxodonta on November 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I invite genuine discourse anytime. But sometimes the funny bone is connected to the stupid bone.

Allow me to steer myself back on course here:
CHEERS Sgt. Munley! It feels great to have a new hero. I get that you were just doing your job. But I’ll be damned if you didn’t do the best that could be done. Hats off. God Bless You. God Bless America.

The Race Card on November 7, 2009 at 2:03 AM

margategop517 on November 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Thanks for posting that link.

Loxodonta on November 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Thanks Kimberly… You rule!!!

Dire Straits on November 7, 2009 at 2:25 AM

The Race Card on November 7, 2009 at 2:03 AM

I don’t think you’re stupid at all, but are a very smart person. I also think you are often very funny. But we do disagree about some things and I will argue with you when we do, just as I shall defend you from unfair attacks when I see them, assuming I can do either with my feeble capacity.

Based on my calculations of my abilities, you should be able to count on me about once in a blue moon.

But I greatly appreciate your return here and comment on the topic.

Until we meet again, please take good care of yourself, laugh often, and do try to be good.

Loxodonta on November 7, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Maquis on November 6, 2009 at 6:12 PM

mr.blacksheep on November 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I believe it’s instinct for most military folks, it is for this one, and it drives me nuts when folks allow themselves to be killed when they could take a chance on saving others.

ProfessorMiao on November 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Sad. I still seethe over the VA Tech massacre, where the only courageous, self-sacrificing hero was a Holocaust survivor that already paid his dues several decades ago, while young men stood shoulder to shoulder in mute terror without making a single move to save the lives of their friends and the innocent.

Maquis on November 7, 2009 at 3:11 AM

What a sweet thing to say! :)

baldilocks on November 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I only say sweet things to people who deserve them.

Loxodonta on November 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Admit it Lox, you only go for the pretty ones!

Maquis on November 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Admit it Lox, you only go for the pretty ones!

Maquis on November 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Alright, if I have to.

Maquis, you are pretty.

Happy now?

Loxodonta on November 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM

$500,000.00 + for this slime’s education…We paid for it.
He chose this course for his life.
He chose to bilk a Country he hated to finance his life.

Sgt. Munley should now receive compensation from the U.S. government for the exact amount these politically correct jerks spent on Hasan.

The second largest terror attack on our shores and this Marxist jerk can’t even show up in Fort Hood.

nondhimmie on November 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Just when you think the world is screwed a Sgt. Munley makes an appearance.

dingbat on November 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Sergeant Munley is probably one of……

Sarah’s People

I hope Sarah gives her a big shoutout as an example of courageous American women.

Too bad our men are such cowardly wimps.

Sapwolf on November 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Happy now?

Loxodonta on November 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM

Pretty happy.

Maquis on November 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Women are like Tigers. If someone messed with one of my kids I would kill em. But, God could not help them if my wife got hold of them.

faol on November 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM

I deeply respect this Officers sacrifice….that being said, news emerging has credited both this officer AND a male co-worker for having brought this incident to a close. It would be nice if this heading could be updated so as to prevent what seems to be a rush to portray this female law enforcement officer in a more positive light than her just-as-brave male co-worker. After all, what would be said if HA only had a picture of the male officer?

CapitalistPig on November 8, 2009 at 10:04 AM