The Ed Morrissey Show: Carly Fiorina

posted at 1:00 pm on November 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Today, on the Ed Morrissey Show (3 pm ET), Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson of the Hugh Hewitt Show will not be able to make it for our normal week in review, but we have a great lineup for today’s show anyway. Jazz Shaw joins me as co-host as we interview Carly Fiorina, who just threw her hat into the ring in California for the Republican nomination for Barbara Boxer’s Senate seat. She got endorsements from some solid Republican conservatives, such as Tom Coburn and Jon Kyl after her announcement yesterday, and we’ll get a chance to discuss her views on TEMS!

But that’s just part of what we have on tap today. Baldilocks talks to us about her new novel, The Tale of the Tigers, which will come out later this month. Kerry Picket joins us to discuss the news inside the Beltway today, which will probably be all about the Fort Hood attack and the Democratic push on ObamaCare. And Jazz and I will dissect the latest effort from HCAN to demonstrate their lack of comprehension of the word “competition.” Don’t miss a minute of it!

Don’t forget to contribute to Project Valour-IT! I’m on the Air Force team this year, and you can help wounded veterans receive adaptive-technology laptops to help them regain their productivity by donating now:

Now you can join the conversation in the chat room! Be sure to register at Ustream to participate in our raucous live-chat sessions. (And if the log-in prompt doesn’t come up in the chat box below, use this link instead.) Jazz Shaw of The Moderate Voice and The Monster moderate the chat, and we have Troll Gun Trivia Contest running before the show, for those who get there early — and are registered!

Want to see all episodes of The Ed Morrissey Show? Add the RSS feed to your reader and keep them handy!

Christmas season is coming, and you can get great deals delivered to your door. Check out Ed’s Bookshelf or search for what you want. For the clueless or the FTC (but I repeat myself!), I get compensated for sales made through these links:

Opening animation from TG Studios.

Comments

Ask baldilocks if she’s had her wedding yet!!!

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Carly Fiorina

John McCain in a skirt.

jake-the-goose on November 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

All I want to know is whether she’s a Sarah Palin conservative?

milemarker2020 on November 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Carly’s a conservative? Really? When did that happen?

Zippy_Slug on November 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Great. Carly, the RINO, who ruined Lucent and nearly ruined HP.

Guess she can’t make CA or the Senate any worse.

She is the quintessential example of the kind of “Republican” we should not be nominating, and why I ONLY contribute to individual candidates not the RNC or NRCC.

Carly would be another Snowe or Collins. We’re better off if she loses.

wildcat84 on November 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM

She couldn’t be bothered to vote for 10 years but wants people to vote for her. Good stuff!

simplesimon on November 6, 2009 at 1:17 PM

She’ll get my vote. I’m so tired of Barbara.

AnninCA on November 6, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Stop the piling on… good god…

ninjapirate on November 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Fiorina is a loser. Of course she’s better than Boxer, but that would be true of a turd. It is unbelievable that the CA GOP cannot find a better candidate in a year where a Senate seat is ripe for the taking! Sh*t!!!

PD Quig on November 6, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Carly Fiorina

John McCain in a skirt.

jake-the-goose on November 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Worse. I’ll take a tortured POW over a poor CEO any day. I’m torn to say that she is the type who can win in CA, but if the wind blows more conservative in the future then we’re stuck with her.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I’m sorry, but this thread is why I’ve been begging begging begging begging that Allah, Ed, and Michelle put the comments on a separate page…

ninjapirate on November 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

jake-the-goose on November 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

That would explain Ed’s interest. Now if we can just run her for President in 2012 and get our asses handed to us again by Obama, it would be awesome. We could spend the next 4 years patting ourselves on the back for what a big tent we have.

austinnelly on November 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Chuck DeVore is in the race, too. He looks pretty good, but either DeVore or Fiorina would be a vast improvement over Boxer.

LASue on November 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Carly is running against Barbara Boxer. This is California’s chance to get rid of Boxer. PLEASE support Carly in this effort. Getting rid of Boxer is at least as important as getting Carly in there.

crosspatch on November 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

ninjapirate on November 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Why? Can we not question the credentials of a potential candidate that will receive our money if we contribute to the NRCC. Which I foolishly did.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I have heard that she is quite the RINO, what is Coburn thinking?

farright on November 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM

crosspatch on November 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

It’s sad when the only endorsement for a candidate is that she’s better than the alternative.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

You should see the comment that got deleted…

yes, you should be able to question the credentials of a potential candidate… but here the thing… all you’re doing here in these comment sections is shouting in a mimetic mob which feeds of itself… ideally the comments should be separated from content… and if you want to be able to question here credentials you should get your own blog and trackback to this post to engage what she says here…

ninjapirate on November 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

All I know is I’ve used 3 piece of HP tech (2 printers and a digital camera) that were produced when she ran that company and all 3 were garbage. That says something to me.

Dave_d on November 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I’ve seen a lot of fervent RINO-hunting anger directed at Fiorina – I guess because she has the temerity to put her case before the voters and compete with Chuck DeVore – who from what I can tell is a much classier act than many of his vocal supporters or would-be supporters. I have yet to see a substantive argument relating to any stance she’s taken.

What’s the REASON for opposing Fiorina?

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

California Republicans are vastly outnumbered. Any candidate put up for election must collect a lot of crossover Democrat and Independent votes if they are to win.

Running a candidate that gets a solid endorsement from the national “Republican Base” would pretty much be the death of a candidate here and assure a Democrat victory.

If you look at the Republican primary in 2008, McCain won by 8 points over Romney. And Huckabee was a VERY distant third nearly 25 points behind Romney.

California can not run a candidate that voters in Oklahoma approve of. Oklahoma voters don’t vote for our Senators. We have to run a candidate that can actually get elected else we are just urinating upwind.

crosspatch on November 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM

If she wins over DeVore in the primary, I will support her…marginally.

SouthernGent on November 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM

What’s the REASON for opposing Fiorina?

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

She ran two corporations into the ground, and she isn’t much of a social con either. I disliked her before she ever decided to run for office. She isn’t Boxer is about all that can be said for her. I wouldn’t consider her an acceptable candidate for anything other than a deep, deep blue state, which CA is, so let the games begin. Hopefully she’s will be a better senator than CEO.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM

ninjapirate on November 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Couldn’t the same be said for you? If you disagree with the format of this blog, then shouldn’t you start your own and format it as you see fit instead of harassing the staff to change the format to suit you.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Dave_d on November 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

As an IT guy in an operation that uses HP almost exclusively, they got better in EVERY meaningful way (quality, service, support) after she was booted and replaced by Mark Hurd.

wildcat84 on November 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Lucent was overinvested – in fact it was all about – an incredibly (Dutch tulip level) over-hyped and overbought sector. Much of the strongest initial criticsm of her major decisions at HP – the acquisition of Compaq in particular – has been tempered. Say what you want about HP, but it doesn’t qualify as having been run into the ground.

For instance:

STANFORD, Calif. — In 2001, when Hewlett-Packard’s then-CEO Carly Fiorina announced that the technology giant proposed to merge with Compaq Computer Corp., she set off a firestorm of controversy. Michael Dell, CEO of rival Dell Computer, famously called it “the dumbest deal of the decade,” and Walter Hewlett, the son of one of the company’s founders, mounted an aggressive proxy fight to prevent the corporate marriage from being consummated. Stockholders as well as the media were fiercely divided on the wisdom of the move.

Not any longer. Six years later, after Fiorina’s acrimonious 2005 departure — which many attributed largely to the merger — and the promotion of former NCR head Mark Hurd to lead HP, the consensus is that the merger was indeed a good idea.

The article credits Hurd with having made good on the deal, but clearly underlines that the attacks on Fiorina’s decisionmaking were premature and overdone.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I’d hit it.

perroviejo on November 6, 2009 at 1:54 PM

No wonder Republicans (and consequently, conservatives) have remained a minority voice for so long. The vast majority of “conservative” constituents are absolute drones. Every candidate is not going to measure up to Sarah Palin, and they shouldn’t have to. Conservatives, like they did in NY-23, continue to annoint one person and trash everyone else. Terrible strategy. If Carly is really a “RINO” – which I doubt she is, giving the fact that every Republican politician, including Sarah Palin, has been called a RINO by conservatives at one point or another – then she shouldn’t be supported. But a lot of you form your opinions based on whether the person is Sarah Palin or not. Pretty sad.

Narutoboy on November 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM

CEO’s get fired all the time. They are like football coaches, frankly. They just take the big package and go right over to another company.

I listened to her in McCain’s campaign and thought he was completely egotistic to cut her off for responding to a question about whether he could run a company or not. She answered honestly. Politics isn’t the same as corporate management. Different skill set.

He was Mr. Prickly, though.

She’ll be far better voting wise than Boxer, and I would rather watch her boo-boo a few times in answering questions rather than tapdance gracefully than listen to Boxer ream out generals for calling her Ma’am. Truly. I’m appalled at Boxer.

I want her out.

AnninCA on November 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM

wildcat84 on November 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM

They got better in part because what their plant, personnel, and strategy pre-Compaq had greatly deteriorated. Their material position post-Compaq was much better. Or do you think that Hurd personally assembled the products you’ve been using?

Look – I don’t pretend to be an expert on Fiorina’s tenure. She’s also not running for an executive position. I doubt that Barbara Boxer or Chuck DeVore would have run HP any better, and it has practically zero relationship to being a decent Senator.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM

You Fiorina haters suck ass. You have no right to tell me that I deserve Barbara Boxer for another 6 years. F*ck you as far as I’m concerned.

Apologetic California on November 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM

My beef is selling off the medical equipment division, to do a merger with a PC box company, although the server side may have been lucrative. Like I said for a blue state she may be a good choice, but I am not excited about her as a candidate.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I’m not about to worry over her HP experience. This isn’t about running a company.

I will definitely vote for her. I want Boxer gone.

AnninCA on November 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Carly Fiorina, isn’t she the one that really started the ball rolling on outsourcing programming jobs overseas?

If so, I’m not a big fan of hers. Between all the jobs outsourced to India, and the absurd amount of H1B visa holders taking what few jobs are still here, a guy cannot make a decent living anymore.

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

We’re better off if she loses.

wildcat84 on November 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM

You are out of your mind.

Abby Adams on November 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Yes her support for maintaining, and expanding the H1B visa program that will further undermine tech jobs is one of the problems I have with her.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I think you greatly overrate Fiorina’s impact on outsourcing. Otherwise, I guess you must support industrial policy Obama/Democrat style.

I am not excited about her as a candidate.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I’m here defending Fiorina, but I’m not “excited about her as a candidate” either – yet. From what I can tell at this very early point, she’s got a good message and good stances overall, and, if she’s willing to spend her zillions pushing it forward, more power to her. I would be very excited about any prospect of defeating Barbara Boxer, and I’m more than willing to let Fiorina prove she’s got a better chance of doing it than DeVore.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

If she wins over DeVore in the primary, I will support her…marginally.

SouthernGent on November 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I would trade Barbara Bonehead for Carly Fiorino Any.Friggin.Day. Bonehead is one of the worst Senators in memory.

Jaibones on November 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Yeah, I’m all for the communist economic model. I support “free trade”, but I don’t view labor(people) as a commodity, that can be used to suppress wages of American workers. A point which cannot be denied since I can post multiple videos of Greenspan advocating just that.

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Carly Fiorina = Dede Scuzzyfuzzy 2

Blackhawk45 on November 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Blackhawk45 on November 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM

California =/= NY-23

Abby Adams on November 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Carly Fiorina

John McCain in a skirt.

jake-the-goose on November 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Careful….she might turn your name over to the Marshall Dillon of the Internets.

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Know whats funny ???

When Ahhh-nold pronounces her name, it comes out sounding like “California”.

Jerome Horwitz on November 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Well, “the reserve army of the unemployed” is a feature of Marxist economic critique, so maybe all you really have to lose is your chains.

I’m not in favor of policies that effectively encourage businesses to outsource or, once constrained from operating profitably, to re-locate or go out of business, but that’s what 99% of government interference amounts to.

And, Aas others have said, the willingness of a CEO to cut jobs for the sake of efficiency might be a feature, not a bug, when applied to the public sector.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Apologetic California on November 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Heh. I don’t get the big deal either. Fiorina seems to be electable, and how anyone could argue that because her positions aren’t ideal she wouldn’t be leaps and bounds better than Boxer is beyong me.

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 2:54 PM

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I still haven’t noticed the RINO-hunters even bringing up her positions – other than at best a passing reference to that ridiculously hyped “women and children on the internet” comment.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM

DFCtomm on November 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

PS – my original comment on industrial policy was in reply to someone else, not you.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I’m hoping Carly will unseat the fairy princess, hope is an understatement, everyone in this country should be hoping, everyone in the world should be hoping, if there’s a sentient amoeba on Mars they should be hoping Carly Fiorina wins her election against fantasy land Barbara.

Speakup on November 6, 2009 at 3:06 PM

She would be miles better than Senator Ma’am.

Abby Adams on November 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Her support of the 2nd Amendment is questionable. When pressed on the issue by a local talk show host, the best her representative could come up with is that she’d not spoken directly to Fiorina about the Landmark DC case. Should be a simple answer, not one that has to be discussed first.

Chuck Devore, 2010.

classicaliberal on November 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM

If you idiots want to endorse people worse than McCain and not much better than the Democrat, go for it. Don’t expect us to endorse them though. Use your own money and don’t cry to the RNC if you are losing.

When a Democrat-Lite goes against a Democrat, the Democrat will always win. Rush has even said that and he’s as much against a third party as anyone. So have your Democrat-Lite for all I care, it won’t change the outcome of the country, that’s for sure.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 2:54 PM

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Umm…you both do realize there is another GOP candidate, right?

I don’t recall anyone placing the crown on Carly’s head just yet.

Let’s see how the debates shake out first shall we?

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I’ll take Linda McMahon over Fiorina any day.

commodore on November 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM

almost ruined HP?

I used to be a strong proponent of HP gear. Now they make trash. And she threw away a lot of the company.

McCain in a skirt? politically, maybe. I’d rank her more with Scuzzi.

lsheldon on November 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Otherwise, I guess you must support industrial policy Obama/Democrat style.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Giving tax breaks to companies moving work overseas is a government policy, flooding the country with H1B visa workers is a government policy.

I’m far from a communist, but policies deliberately designed to destroy American IT workers, as Carly Fiorina advocated and still advocates, is not free nor fair competition, and I highly question her judgement.

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM

McCain in a skirt? politically, maybe. I’d rank her more with Scuzzi.

lsheldon on November 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Why?

Let’s see how the debates shake out first shall we?

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Indeed. I’ve argued in favor of that several times – and on places other than this thread – and have also complimented DeVore and underlined my openness to his candidacy. On the other hand, I see people calling Fiorina “Democrat-lite” and making other attacks without backing them up. That’s not persuasive – it’s just name-calling and worse.

On this thread we’ve seen some not very informed, not very relevant discussion of her tenure at HP; a weak response by a spokesperson on the 2nd Amendment; a drive-by on internet regulation. That’s a whole lot of nothing.

Why not go on what she actually says and is running on. I wasn’t able to listen to Ed’s show – maybe she came out for Obama. I doubt it.

Read her “why I’m running” op-ed from yesterday – http://www.ocregister.com/articles/work-people-california-2635660-every-government – then tell me what you disagree with.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Your characterization is obviously slanted. NO ONE advocates the deliberate destruction of American IT workers. Obviously, you’re interpreting something she’s done or said, or that you think she’s done or said. Do you have any link or can you point to a recent statement of hers in favor of such policies?

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Oh, pshaw on your ridiculous hype….she’s electable dontchaknow.

Just wait till she gets the much sought after Gingrich stamp of approval.

She’ll bring the CAGOP out of the political basement and up into the first floor janitor’s closet.

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 4:50 PM

You can try these:
Speaking about links, maybe you have some links where she admits her maniacle desire for outsourcing and ever more H1B visas was wrong, she’s sorry for it, and will work to correct it if elected?

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Thus far, attention has focused on a handful of companies, like HP, which have sourced some jobs to other countries.

————–

“There is no job that is America’s God-given right anymore.”

Except for high-paid CEO’s.

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I dunno…..it’s just that Fiorina’s candidacy smells a bit too much like opportunism rather than a true desire to serve the people of California.

For me, she appears as yet another reason why we’re currently in the economic mess we are.

I’m all for capitalism and making money for stockholders but not at the expense American jobs and empty office spaces.

Just try putting those outsourcing statements of hers up against Boxer, in this economy, and trust me…she’ll lose in a landslide.

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I read both links, as well as the source articles listed – all amounting to the same thing: You believe that workers should be protected against competition. Fiorina, in 2004, was arguing that America needed to prepare to compete, and that labor protectionism would be self-destructive – impairing the competitiveness of American firms while only in the short term protecting some American jobs.

Immigration policy regarding skilled workers – as well as outsourcing issues, a related but very different question – are legitimate issues. At least it’s not name-calling. On the other hand, Fiorina is the one who happens to be the one taking the conservative positions.

Furthermore, presuming, as is done by those responsible for the anti-Fiorina sites you link, that her support for H1B visas equates with an open immigration policy is total speculation. They are different issues.

We’ll see what she says, and if immigration turns out to be an issue in California. Some of us remember with crystal clarity how arguing it clumsily and ineffectively helped destroy the GOP in the state. Maybe we can work on doing it again.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM

You believe that workers should be protected against competition.

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Unfair completion, subsidized by taxpayers to harm other taxpayers, you bet I’m against that. H1B visas are illegal immigrants, the rules designed to give American works first crack at those jobs are routinely violated, if they’re even adhered to at all.

The last place I worked at, was 90%+ H1B visa holders from India and Ukraine, with a few token Americans. A few of them weren’t even technical people, they are middle management types. This is in Massachusetts, with many many well qualified American programmers and managers desperate for work. A friend of mine in NJ works in a shop filled with Indian and Israeli H1B visa holders, NJ having plenty of Americans who could do those jobs. Other acquaintances tell similar stories.

Fact is, you can get an H1B worker cheap, and basically treat them as slaves, since if they lose that job they are deported. That is not “competition” my friend, that is illegal immigration. The entire H1B visa program is corrupt as the day is long, and needs to be scrapped. Tax breaks for moving work offshore need to be scrapped also, being subsidized is not competition either.

Also, I’m still waiting for those links where she she apologizes for her actions and promises to fix them if elected.

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

She is a RINO with the New Majority. We do not need more of them.

Chuck DeVore 2010!

InTheBellyoftheBeast on November 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Rebar on November 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Don’t know who you think offered or promised to provide any such thing. Additionally, you’re far from having demonstrated that Fiorina played any significant role in the particular situation you describe.

We’ll see, I guess, whether the issue arises in the campaign. Are you aware of an articulated position on it by DeVore or Boxer?

CK MacLeod on November 6, 2009 at 6:01 PM

What Rebar said.

But hey….let’s crown her anyway because she’s raised more money than DeVore so we’d be wasting our vote.

Even with Boxer’s piss poor record, I’m sure those outsourcing comments won’t come back to haunt her in a state with a double digit unemployment and where people vote to dump money into high speed rails to nowhere.

She’s a shoe-in.

The Ugly American on November 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Some Points from Wiki:

On September 3, 2008, Fiorina addressed the Republican National Convention. Earlier that day, she defended the selection of Sarah Palin as McCain’s running mate and declared that Palin was being subjected to sexist attacks,

a charge she repeated a few days later in response to one of the Saturday Night Live parodies of Sarah Palin Fiorina defended Sarah Palin against the charge of lack of experience, describing her as “a person of great accomplishment”.

In response to questions during a radio interview on September 15, 2008, she stated that Palin lacks the experience to run a major company like Hewlett Packard, Fiorina later amended her comment stating that none of the candidates on either ticket, including John McCain, Barack Obama, and Joe Biden, had the experience to run a major corporation

The McCain campaign was “furious” with Fiorina’s statements. Her further appearances were canceled and she was eliminated from the campaign.

If she can beat DeVore, she may be tough enough to Box-up Boxer!?

Wonder who Sarah Palin is pulling for?

“Let’s Roll”