Chris Matthews: We may never know if religion was a factor at Fort Hood

posted at 8:34 pm on November 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

Well … yes, that’s true, if you think anything short of Hasan sitting up in his hospital bed and declaring “why, indeed, religion was a factor at Fort Hood” amounts to irresponsible speculation. But here’s what we’ve got so far, according to eyewitnesses, colleagues, and friends. He considered the war on terror a “war on Islam” and himself a Muslim first and an American second; he thought Muslims had the right to stand up to the “aggressor” in the Middle East and is suspected of posting things online about the selfless heroism of jihadist suicide bombers; he was placed on probation for proselytizing about Islam to patients and colleagues and was sufficiently devout that he refused to have his picture taken with women; he once used a lecture at a medical conference as an opportunity to discuss how the Koran orders decapitation for infidels; and, oh yes, he yelled “Allahu Akbar” before opening fire.

Now, per the media’s favored Narrative, could a guy with that background have somehow compartmentalized that in his mind and been driven to kill entirely by pre-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD by proxy or whatever? I guess. Anything’s possible. But would the same benefit of the doubt be given to a nut trending towards fanaticism of a different ideological hue? Like I said yesterday on Twitter: You’ll know it’s okay to start speculating about Hasan’s motives when cops find a Glenn Beck book on his bookshelf. In fact, if the same “PTSD by proxy” elements had been present in Hasan’s bio but it turned out he’d attended a tea party or two, we’d already be well into hour 30 of a full-on media speculation orgy. The nutroots needed less time than that to pronounce conservatism collectively guilty of murder in the case of that hanged census worker, even though, as it turns out, he probably wasn’t murdered. But then, we’ve been over this ground before. For now, let’s simply look forward to this Sunday’s New York Times op-ed page, as Krugman and Rich and the rest of the gang who see murderers in every angry conservative face warn us how vicious it is to assume the worst about people because of one bad apple.

In fairness to Matthews, this isn’t a terrible interview. He does press his guest — a little — on the “Allahu Akbar” detail. What he doesn’t press him on is whether he’s the best person to be chatting about this subject. Anyone recognize our expert here?

Update: Incidentally, if Hasan does end up confessing to a jihadist motive, should we start re-thinking 9/11 as motivated in part by post-traumatic stress disorder? Bin Laden fought in Afghanistan against the Soviets, after all. Surely there must be some other explanation besides the obvious one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I personally think that Hasan will have ptsd now because he failed to get his 72 virgins.
Poor baby, I hope the Army waterboards him.

ORconservative on November 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Too Bad they didn’t get Pelosicare passed already, they could have used Ft Hood as pretext for a good old fashioned Gun Grab!

Think of it, if the timing had been better, right now the Dems could have been out decrying the Health Epidemic of Gun violence, and that this is really a Health issue and not a civil rights issue.

Fake8 on November 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Mass murderer McVeigh is the best irrefutable example of a white, christian repug “Country-First Patriot” we have so far.

The only fact about McVeigh you got correct in your statement is that he was white. Care to try again? And, do you have any other examples?

Fed45 on November 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM

You’re right fake8, the dems are suffering a huge setback in not having this passed already. For a far left Marxist POTUS and a strong majority Dem House and Senate, this is either an epic fail for them or a major victory for the American people and the minority.

Not even a home grown jihad attack is providing enough cover.

ORconservative on November 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Rethugs do not bother me.

kokobin on November 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM

“Rethugs”? Wow! That’s original. Did you think that one all by yourself, did you? Because I don’t think anyone of us have ever heard that one before. Did you really pull that together all by yourself? Changing “pub”, to “thug”? Because that is very clever! Wow! I’m speechless at the brilliance of your creativity. Now, how about some clever George Bush insults? I’m sure they will be quite original as well.

Fed45 on November 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Not even a home grown jihad attack is providing enough cover.
ORconservative on November 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM

You can almost imagine the Brady campaign to Disarm the law-abiding pulling their hair out over this.

Would anyone like to bet that they don’t already have pre-written press releases for just such and ‘Opportunity’.

There shouldn’t be any doubts in anyone’s minds that if they pass that healthcare debacle, they will USE the next ‘crisis’ of this type in an attempt to disarm the law-abiding citizens of this nation, along with other Healthcare “Controls” over our freedoms and liberties.

Fake8 on November 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Likely, if this gets passed today, their biggest question will be whether to take away guns or crap and tax first?
My guess is guns, they’ve got to know, no matter how delusional, that revolt is coming.

ORconservative on November 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Looks like those chickens found their way home, eh?

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 12:40 PM

ORconservative on November 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

That’s maybe why the MSM and libs in general are so desperate to create ‘reasonable doubt’ this wasn’t an Islam-inspired terror attack. Bush kept us safe for almost eight years after 9/11 while the current WH couldn’t continue it for a single year.

People are far from stupid (for the most part as proven up the thread where my point was made for me), and there is going to be real talk between conservatives and independents over these killings.

Matthews and others in the MSM have to protect their guy in the WH at all cost. This evil event will also weigh in to the backlash brewing nationwide for the next elections.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 12:40 PM

You are disgusting and beneath contempt.

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Denial….the game the whole (christian) church can play.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM

You dishonor our best and brightest that were gunned down by an Islamic Extremist with your imbecilic and egregious comments.

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM

The real talk is between the independents and the conservatives. I suggest strongly that we try to exemplify it here.
This is not about religion it is about enemies of the US. These posters trying to get a rise out of us by using Christianity do not even deserve a passing glance. They are likely enemies of the Consititution and the only purpose they serve is to strengthen our resolve.

ORconservative on November 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Well, if I were writing a work of fiction, I’d probably set it up like this: Crazy muslim goes on killing spree but fails to kill self before brave heroine police officer downs him. Killer initially reported as dead, then is later reported as alive and expected to live (clusterfark or carefully thought out to confuse?) Much debate ensues as to motive of killer – religious motives or stress related?

Killer then reported as being in drug-induced coma because he took 2 bullets to the chest. To protect from the public hearing his motive from the killer’s own lips, he later dies and the truth never comes out. I just might write this one.

fullogas on November 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Seems to me that those “best and brightest” might have had a hand in their own demise…at least his immediate superiors.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM

And you’re deploying when????

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

That is the point of it all. It is too busy. That is why this bill needs to be defeated. It is a maze of complicated gobbledygook that will mire anyone who attempts to navigate it into a tar pit of death.

scrubjay on November 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I thought some of them were far-right Christian fundamentalists. But your point is well taken.

I’ve never met an anti-constitution person in my life, so I sure wouldn’t know what that bunch is about.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM

You never met a true Marxist? I went to college with a few.

They oppose the Constitution as standing for oppression and slavery, highlighting the old clause about slaves being counted as 2/3 of a person without knowing the historical context. Oh, they’ll scream First Amendment rights when countered, but otherwise all those things in the Bill if Rights really get in the way.

They follow the idea of changing Man by changing his environment, with an ultimate goal of eliminating a need for government. In short, a ‘happy’ kind of anarchy somewhere in the future when Man has evolved.

Many Marxists don’t truly hate the way modern liberals hate and slip invective. Instead, a true Marxist will use his Manifesto to support his beliefs. The bad part of it all, though, is the ‘dictatorship of the proletariat’ phase of getting from now to the future.

Marxism, really, has been hijacked by modern liberalism. Which is why, I imagine, you never met an anti-Constitutionalist.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 1:19 PM

It’s all about the “honor mentality” which is deeply rooted in Muslims, I”m “guessing” something about the Quran. From honor killing to getting 72 virgins, it’s all about the honor:

The PC crowd is just as suicidal as the next al-qaeda recruit, willing to give up on their freedoms and risk their lives in the name of “not offending Islam.”

Chris Matthews, why don’t you find the nearest gay bar and thrill up your leg? Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Michelle Dubois on November 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

The spin has been frantic.

Obama lost his groove with the massacre

It was supposed to be his moment with healthcare, and extending unemployment.

Instead he couldn’t get himself to feign rage about a muslim-first American-second soldier shouting alla wu akbar as he slaughered fellow Americans, so Obama froze and showed less concern than he did over a cop and a professor confrontation

Luckily, a Hispanic who lost his job went postal in Florida, so the cameras moved on, and the MSM could get back to the evil of guns, and an investigation of how Post Traumatic Disorder affects even jihadists

I heard a newscaster declare soldiers were victims of violence in Texas. The murderer was Violence

The MSM is busy wiping up the blood and burying the story, because life marches on and we need healthcare.

They can’t kill this one.

This is a Katrina moment. Obama thinks he got past it, but he left an imprint and a rage against his lack of connect to the situation. Like his wife, Obama has a hard time pretending to like something he does not like

entagor on November 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Was religion a factor? WAS RELIGION A FACTOR???

Come on Chris, pull your head out of your butt, wake up and smell the coffee.

The perp is a Muslim radical extremist and deserves to be smeared with pig blood, rapped in bacon and deep-fried in lard.

DuctTapeMyBrain on November 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Oh, that’s what you meant. I was picturing some anarchist. Yeah, I hung out with some Marxists. Mostly they were young academics who wanted to work in think tanks.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I had a history professor who was an avowed Marxist and the only prof who could keep me awake at 8:00 on Monday mornings. The best memory I have of him is when, during a small after-class discussion, he declared the Soviet Union ‘an oppressive country’.

That always stuck in my head, and drives a comparison between old-style Marxists and today’s form of liberalism. The two seem incompatible to me.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I don’t consider the progressives today liberal. They are sort of throwback to the 60′s types. Their focus is on unions, etc.

Worker’s rights.

I think of liberals more in terms of FDR/Clinton types. Government should work for real people and be more than merely a defense industry corporation, but there are clear limits.

Obama’s both gone way over the line or reverts back to a kind of union thinking that I thought we’d moved past.

I am SURE that most upper-middle-class Democrats did not grasp that was his direction when they voted. That’s why he’s already lost suburban support.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Chrissy “Hissy Fit” Matthews manages to irreputably embarrass his dopey embarrassing arse everyday.

That is what a shameless partisan looks like.

Gob on November 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I’m a liberal in the way of Thomas Jefferson: minimal government equals maximum liberty for the citizenry. Jefferson was a rather strict Constructionist, while John Adams signed on to the Alien and Sedition Acts–violating Original Intent. Thankfully those Acts expired around 1802, if I recall correctly.

FDR expanded government and had to pack the SCOTUS to keep his ideas from being shot down during review by the Court.

What is ‘liberal’ today got its start under FDR, maybe even as early as Wilson. It’s devolved now, to where journalists take a political bias like what Matthews et. al. are trying to spin here. Politics is their driving force, not the liberty of the people to whom they basically owe their living.

I’m appalled at the bias shown in the media, which should be neutral. The MSM speculates, which is fair in journalism, but they speculate on the down side, invariably.

If talking about Pubs, that Party is cast in dim light. If talking about Dem mistakes or bad policies, everyone in opposition is somehow ignorant. And now, in this case, what is obvious about Hasan through the killer’s own actions and writings, isn’t worthy of scrutiny; the idea of going down that road is somehow beneath consideration.

I’m all for freedom of the press. But, my God! They need to stop being so damned depressing all the time!

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Chris Tingle once again opens his big piehole and proves what an incredible tool bag he is!

MCGIRV on November 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Isn’t that what some call libertarian?

Or sort of, anyway.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I sometimes think Chris Matthews is living off of the fumes of u-tube.

If he didn’t get that attention, he’d be gone.

AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Isn’t CAIR an extension of the muslim brother and weren’t they caught challenging funds to Hamas a terrorist organization which has sworn to destroy Israel and America?

What they hell is this stupid douchebag (Mathews) doing by interviewing radical muslim organizations and giving them legitimacy? What else did he expect this professional liar and apologist for a death cult to say, ‘yes the truth is that its the goal of muslims to destroy the West and Islamify the world?’

And there was no alternative opinions offered, why not bring on Steve Emerson or Robert Spencer, people who are very astute on this subject?

This is how muslims will destroy us because half our population refuses to acknowledge the truth and are actively enabling our enemies to take over and swallowing their lies wholeheartedly without any critical reflection.

What a misnomer to call this pathetic, leftist propaganda show that is sympathetic to the Jihad, ‘Hardball.’ This would be like bringing on Nazis to try to explain why other Nazis kill Jews and ‘non-aryans’ and then claim it has nothing to do with Nazism cause most Nazis are peaceful people, its disgusting.

thinkagain on November 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

thinkagain on November 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

edit:

*muslim brotherhood
*channeling

-should’ve proof-read that first

thinkagain on November 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Would we know if religion were a factor if the shooter had yelled “In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost?”

SukieTawdry on November 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM

SukieTawdry on November 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM

The State-Run Media would be all over it like Pelosi on a Plastic Surgeon. By the way, I knew your cousins, Miss Lottie Linya and ol’ Lucy Brown.

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Radical Muslims call Hasan “An officer and a gentleman“.

Schadenfreude on November 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Isn’t that what some call libertarian?
AnninCA on November 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Terms change, which are used to make definitions somewhere. I prefer ignoring labels and using an historical context in my mind, then operating in the now. I’m an individual, who prefers not being pigeonholed.

I’m a Constructionist, I believe in Original Intent.

I’m a Christian, which is foundational to my personal beliefs. I will vote and debate accordingly on both counts.

The MSM, and liberals in general, try putting all of us into some kind of file folder. But you, me, and every other Citizen are not somehow defined by others. We are are what we are; we’re what we define ourselves to be and some self-proclaimed ‘institution’ wants to take us as they see us: Just a number.

For example of me: I oppose abortion on most levels but will have no problem if it’s done in limited circumstances. That gets me in Dutch with other Christians but I can make a case from the Bible.

I favor the death penalty but believe it should be used very sparingly. That pisses off both sides of that debate but too bad for them. I can make a case there, too.

I believe in the will of the People far over and above government. George Washington opposed political parties but he also recognized they’re inevitable. I rather follow Washington.

I vote and believe as my conscience leads me. I’m an individual, and an individualist.

I don’t boast that I’m a Christian, because I’m saved by Grace and not of myself. My God is generous, so I can’t boast in the gifts granted to me, what I did not earn.

If I can boast at all, it’s that I’m an American. And even that comes from God. Were I born in the old USSR believing as I do, I’d have ended up in a Gulag.

All that, combined, tells me there is truly a loving God, and that my United States is a Nation worth fighting for. Political parties don’t rate for me.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

And had you been born in Kabul you would most likely be a Muslim who thinks that Americans (christians) are officious, greedy and evil maggots. You would also think that all non-Muslim followers were infidels and doomed to an afterlife of suffering. Sound familiar?

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

But I wasn’t born there.

Being born American let’s me have access to the liberty of personal belief, not indoctrination. Among many Moslem sects, children are being taught at age five to be suicide bombers. That was never done to me.

I was raised to certain American beliefs, which included my being free to change my mind on all of them, if I so chose, without criminal penalty. In many Moslem countries run under Sharia, I could be stoned to death for reading a Bible–assuming I could find one in those countries.

No, it doesn’t sound familiar. In America I’m free to make choices according to my personal self. In those other places you cited, I wouldn’t have that.

You seek to make a point but there’s no way to draw an authentic parallel.

You presume of me, but that’s based on YOUR personal bias, not what I openly declared of myself.

You accuse me, deciding yourself as some kind of arbiter of morality and relativism.

You didn’t discuss my values at all. You hypothesized, casting some sort of blame based on YOUR worldview. You condemned, theorized, accused, and sentenced me. All without never discussing our respective values.

I’ll let others of both sides decide the merits of your post to me.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

That was such a cheap ploy–trying to compare an average guy with terrorists, in a roundabout way to attack my personal religious faith.

Interesting how you libs use the Islam you support wholeheartedly to attack Christians. You try drawing a parallel and at same time seek to denigrate half of that equation.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Hey, Chrissy? Do you think this could be a “hate crime”?

Cybergeezer on November 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Hey, Chrissy? Do you think this could be a “hate crime”?

Cybergeezer on November 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM

He’ll never consider it that. He’s trying to find every other possible ‘out’ that it might be. To call it as such, which it is plus the fact of Islamist terrorism, is to risk the consideration Obama and the Dems failed to protect our America.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I’ll let others of both sides decide the merits of your post to me.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Yowza! Go pinch a loaf man. Pretending to have the patent on spirituality is hazardous to your nerves it appears.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Matthews removes all doubt that liberalism is a mental disorder. When borderline insanity is a common thread among the members of the left, the return to reality becomes a fading possibility.

volsense on November 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Matthews must be auditioning for the OJ Jury or something.

“I don’t know nothin’ about no jihad!”

Really Right on November 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Chris Matthews will really never know.

All Chris Matthews knows is the tingling between his legs.

TheAlamos on November 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM

What I would like society to get out of the Fort Hood atrocities is the simple understanding that there is an element of Islam in America that is not benign and, while not representing all Muslims, can’t be given covered by the religion of peace crap. Hasan acted on this dark side of Islam but he is hardly the first. There was the guy who attacked the recruiting station in Arkansas, there were the Muslim converts who got caught in North Carolina, there was the bastard who threw a grenade into a mess tent…..

These were all “good Americans” just like Hasan. We simply cannot relegate Islam to the status of other faiths in America. Radical Lutherans do not gun down American soldiers. Radical Muslims do. There needs to be some serious effort to segregate the good Muslims from people like Hasan and until that effort is in place, all Muslims are going to be viewed with a certain amount of suspicion (not fair but the reality of a religion with so much terrorism attached to it).

highhopes on November 7, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Chris Matthews will really never know.

All Chris Matthews knows is the tingling between his legs.

TheAlamos on November 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Zell Miller had the right idea about this idiot.

highhopes on November 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Hey, Chrissy? Do you think this could be a “hate crime”?

Cybergeezer on November 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Careful Cyber-G, in the liberal’s world the “hate crime” here were all those mean people who supposedly harassed Hasan while at Walter Reed. An almost 40-year-old Army officer with an education in assisting to help people become mentally healthy was apparently such a delicate flower that “mean people” were the reason why he gunned down over 50 soldiers, killing 13 in the process.

highhopes on November 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM

This clown and Olby are pathetic human beings.

bluegrass on November 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I claimed nothing, and you know it. I explain my personal beliefs, I don’t proselytize and thinking people know that; I make myself clear.

You, being a lib, read into my words to justify yourself. The onus is on you, not me.

AS I said, which you quoted, I let others of both sides decide for themselves.

That kills you, for YOU need to be right, you need to score a win. I don’t. I rather let people choose their own courses.

You won’t give that, as evidenced by your own words.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

All previous posts, available to all, confirm or deny us both.

The end-all and be-all.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM

SCOREBOARD:

Bush kept us safe from homeland terrorism for almost 8
years.

Obama kept us safe from homeland terrorism for 10 months.

…..so much for Obama’s man caused disasters.

dthorny on November 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM

dthorny on November 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Which is why the MSM is scrambling to protect their WH guy. It seems insanity is trying to become a norm.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

You’ll never grasp anyone like me, you’ll never have a clue of people here. You’re too caught up in your own beliefs which, on the surface, appear self-righteous.

Like so many counter-posters here, you seek to be right. In that, you’re unwilling to do more than make personal attacks. You don’t, as you and your kind aim, wish a true discussion.

You want only to attack, condemn, deny, and later change the subject of a thread to obfuscate, muddy the waters. You seek being right in all phases and the truth be damned.

Going to bed at night, feeling somehow justified, is all you’re about. You don’t seek to persuade, but rather hunger to have the hate you espouse be vindicated.

You’re really not politicians, not activists for a political cause. You’re just about yourselves, needing to be fed so your egos can continue unabated.

Ahead of you, you’re going to call me ‘hateful’, because your ego needs that. And that’s okay.

Be aware, though, that what you do isn’t the feint against us you think it is.

Better people than you are far ahead of you by miles.

So, indulge your pain and your hate. Go with what you feel, while the world races away from you, ahead of you. You can’t catch up as you are.

Unless you get a real clue, you never will.

The universe doesn’t stop for you, though you want it to.

But people in Hell want ice water, don’t they?

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM

SCOREBOARD:

Bush kept us safe from homeland terrorism for almost 8
years.

Obama kept us safe from homeland terrorism for 10 months.

…..so much for Obama’s man caused disasters.

dthorny on November 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Are you seriously distinguishing this incident from similar incidents that happened under Bush Jr? Did you forget the following?

In March 2003, Capt. Christopher Seifert and Maj. Gregory Stone of the Army’s 101st Airborne Division were killed in a grenade attack at Camp Pennsylvania, Kuwait, that wounded 14 other officers. Sgt. Hasan Akbar was convicted by a court-martial in 2005 and sentenced to death..

Sgt. Joseph Tackett was fatally shot in June 2005 by a fellow soldier in Baghdad. Lt. Willie Davis later pleaded guilty to a charge of negligent homicide and was sentenced to 30 months in prison, the independent Army Times reported.

The same month, Capt. Phillip Esposito and Lt. Louis Allen were killed in an explosion at a base in Tikrit, north of Baghdad. The military charged a sergeant in their company, Alberto Martinez, with murder in their deaths, but a military jury acquitted him in 2008.

Two U.S. sailors based in Bahrain, Seaman Anamarie Camacho and Seaman Genesia Gresham, were shot and killed by a third sailor who then shot himself in October 2007, the Navy said.

A 39-year-old soldier was charged with killing Staff Sgt. Darris Dawson and Sgt. Wesley Durbin in Tunnis, Iraq, in September 2008.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Such the enigma.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM

My religious faith has a congregational following of one, me, and up until recently, when it came to religion, I could say “I don’t have a dog in this fight”. But the mantra “Death to all Infidels” does not leave much wiggle room for you or me. I refuse to be a slave to anyone, including my own God, let alone somebody else’s. Not everyone is cut out to be a slave, willing or otherwise. Funny how that works. Islam has the answer though – Terrorism. “Accept” Islam or die.

You have got to understand that the BEDROCK of Islam is SLAVERY TO THE WILL OF ALLAH! There is NO Freedom in this life. “We don’t need democracy, we have Allah”. Freedom is a SIN.

Islam views compassion as a weakness. But hey, you’re a slave – you don’t need compassion, you have Allah – compassion is his job not yours! Compassion is the Achilles Heel of western culture and western religion and should be exploited at every opportunity. Losers are always defeated by their OWN dogma, not the other guy’s! (Can you say Political Correctness?

Pole-Cat on November 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Such the enigma.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM

If I’m an enigma, as you so ptulantly call me to somehow devalue me, it’s because you won’t bother having a genuine talk with me.

That’s YOUR fault, yours alone. The onus is on you, not me, though you seek to devalue me. That’s on you, not me.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Note, too, I didn’t devalue you, while you seek to denigrate me–another person.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Such the enigma.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM

So, are you willing to have a discussion with me? Open and honest. I ask one rule: no personal insults. We talk, exchange ideas and beliefs. Nothing more. Neither of us is more right than the other, neither of us are wrong.

Fair enough?

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Please to explain, “ptulantly”????

Love to have that chat but how about we decide on a language first.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM

A typo of ‘petuantly’ (sic)

Which language do you prefer? I’m better at English than German, Gaelic, and Welsh

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I find this good. Thank you for talking to me.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Two weeks before someone makes that argument on DailyKos, HuffPost or some other moonbat site?

aikidoka on November 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

My initial comment to you was to point out that your faith is simply a matter of geography. Had you been born elsewhere, you would profess religious superiority over other religions…with some exceptions of course. You offered a hypothetical and I responded in kind.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Where do we start? If you’re busy with real-life considerations, we can hook up another time.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I, of myself, don’t have a religious superiority. I believe in my Faith only for myself. This is what I find works for my life. That’s it. I love my God for my own experiences in what I believe. That’s it. I’m just an average guy

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM</blockquote

My comment wasn’t a dig at you so much as it was intended to point out that one’s perspective is relative to his actions.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

What I find is that liberals claim some kind of overall moral superiority. Yes, there are Christians who claim the same but how fast they go by the wayside? Who, before God, thinks he/she is above Him?

Libs tend to be perennial in that arrogance, don’t they?

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Libs tend to be perennial in that arrogance, don’t they?
Liam on November 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Perhaps, but what exactly did I write that caused you to declare me one? I don’t remember divulging my political affiliation.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Fair enough. Everyone fails at some point where we profess our deepest cores. But that’s part of being human.

Yes, we all have lofty goals for ourselves but we bomb now and again. Libs like holding that against Christians, to justify themselves.

What libs avoid understanding is that Christians are more aware of our failures than anyone else. The difference is that we seek to be better, based on the model of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Your words made me wonder, as you posed them.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM

For whatever this might be worth, I’m trying to get a feel of you, as a person.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Your words made me wonder, as you posed them.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM

And yet you judged me as such without the facts…or at least asking. I find that to be a common occurance among christian conservatives, especially those that frequent this site.

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I didn’t quite judge you. I had views, yes, but came to you to ask of you–I didn’t plop you into a pigeonhole like libs are so willing to do to me. I asked to speak with you, instead. I went by your own words, and asked of you.

Please don’t accuse me, okay? Were I a bastard I wouldn’t have asked to learn of you. I find you thoughtful, and opened a door to enjoy your company. Were I a prick as you partly think, I wouldn’t be here enjoying this discussion.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I didn’t judge you. I asked questions of you, opening a dialogue.

Cons like me are always judged and condemned by libs

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM

People like me aren’t much different than you. WE both love our children and want all the best.

But when the media lie and seek to one side, you and me are assailed. We both lose, for lies strung against us.

You might be liberal while I’m conservative, but in the end a lying media hurts us both.

Liam on November 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Chris Matthews: We may never know if religion was a factor at Fort Hood

It’s true: those who tightly close their eyes, plug their ears, and stick their heads in the sand will never know…

(this looks like a job for Obviousman!)

landlines on November 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Never watch him. See he is still an ASS.

faol on November 8, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Shot by a police officer who happened to be a woman. Sweet irony.

BigAlSouth on November 8, 2009 at 8:08 AM

kingsjester on November 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Good4Onan on November 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I have a tie I just got and I want to give it to you

it’s from colombia, it would lookgood on you

Sonosam on November 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

These American liberal apologists for Jihad are worse than the Jihadists themselves.

infidel4life on November 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Has Chris been drinking? Or mayhaps he’s just conveniently ignoring all the reports from the good Major’s colleagues about his erm…interesting beliefs about the Jihad.

SG1_Conservative on November 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Chris is right;

He will never know.

gary fouse on November 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Onan, you are not much of a lib but I would say you are a first class leftist. You belittle Christianity and those who follow Christ. Whatever did Christ do to you to have Him and His followers be belittled like you do? Christ was correct when He said the world will hate Christians. You are so easily predictable.

garydt on November 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

“Those who judge Hasan will see repellent dishonor in a man who murdered the soldiers every officer swears he will lead and protect, who betrayed the country he swore to defend, and who killed and maimed despite swearing an oath to heal, to do no harm. If religion was Hasan’s motive, his was an extraordinarily promiscuous view of the meaning of one’s oath to God.”

Read the rest at The New Ledger: http://newledger.com/2009/11/how-the-fort-hood-shooter-will-be-judged/

starboardhelm on November 8, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Apparently this guy thinks Chrissy is wrong.

ORconservative on November 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Chris Matthews is a mere skeptic next to the certainty exhibited by Senator Lindsay Graham on the topic!

From the New York Times, in this story by By Joseph Berger, quotes having been taken from CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

. . .
At the end of the day this is not about his religion — the fact that this man was a Muslim,” Senator Graham said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

Senator Graham and Ike Shelton, a Missouri Democrat who chairs the House Armed Services Committee, were asked why the Army would have assigned a psychiatrist who had a poor performance record at Walter Reed Hospital and ranted about America’s war on terrorism to Fort Hood. Mr. Skelton said he was briefed by the Army and was told it is investigating such assertions.

Let’s give them a few days to find out just where the ball was dropped, if that’s the case” he said.

Senator Graham’s echoed his restraint.

I mean does every soldier who shows discontent with the war and every soldier that has had a bad performance report — what are we going to do with those folks?” Sen. Graham said. “At the end of the day, maybe this is just about him. It’s certainly not about his religion, Islam.
. . . . (emphasis added)

Trochilus on November 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM

mmm well know. We won’t from CNN, but once te FBI does their thing and they share some of the info to us mere mortals maybe we’ll know.

johnnyU on November 9, 2009 at 7:56 AM