Breaking: Hoyer admits Dems don’t have the votes for Pelosi Plan

posted at 11:38 am on November 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The answer to the big question surrounding Nancy Pelosi’s scheduling of the ObamaCare vote this weekend has been answered.  She didn’t schedule it for Saturday because she had the votes — and now Steny Hoyer has admitted as much this morning:

A House leader says Democrats haven’t yet lined up enough votes to pass their health care overhaul bill.

Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland says the vote that House Democrats had scheduled for Saturday could slip to Sunday or early next week.

Hoyer acknowledged to reporters Friday that Democratic leaders don’t yet have the 218 votes needed to pass President Barack Obama’s historic health overhaul initiative.

In other words, this was a Hail Nancy play.  She couldn’t afford to wait too long for the vote after dropping 2,000 pages on members last week, and having them see the results of the elections this week.  Pelosi and Hoyer thought that rushing a vote would allow them to bully recalcitrant moderates into support.

She chose … poorly.

What does this tell us?  Moderates have apparently balked at the pressure Pelosi has put on them to swallow the public option and a $1.8 trillion price tag.  Today’s unemployment numbers probably had something to do with that as well.  Robert Reich advised Democrats to stop their push on health-care overhauls and start worrying about job losses, or risk becoming an irrelevancy in the midterms (via Instapundit).  The moderates in Pelosi’s caucus probably came to that conclusion on Tuesday night.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Change has come to Washington…..

alexraye on November 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Hot damn! If they don’t have them now – they are never going to have them with that unemployment number and the election.

I repeat – hot damn!

gophergirl on November 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

She acted “stupidly”.

FireBlogger on November 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Oh man, I never though this bill would die in the House.

This could be the best news we’ve had in a long time. If it goes to a vote and fails, Obamacare has to be dead.

jhffmn on November 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Well at least it didn’t screw up Der Leader’s Friday golf game.

Dire Straits on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Epic Fail.

Techie on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Dems must be racist.

hanoverfist on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

More like Steny chose…wisely.

It’s as if there’s a Pelosi-Hoyer feud going back to the days when Nancy’s daddy was Balmer mayor.

Christien on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

She chose … poorly.
(more to come)

awww c’mon Ed–the PC statement is “she acted stupidly”

that one gets her and Steny beer in a week or two.

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Woohoo! I don\’t like my Senator Hoyer (I\’m in Maryland, and this guy is way left now), but this is great news from him. Poor poor Nancy…*sniffs a tear for her*…she tried…and failed. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Highlar on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Of course they didn’t. I said it days ago. You don’t hide a major political success on saturday.

lorien1973 on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

How’s about Never….

Juno77 on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Continue calling your elected representative and ensure that they don’t cave to Pelosi and her leftist gangsters.

rplat on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Next up, Crap and Tax, Education “Reform”.

LibTired on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

are those 40 congressmen all in arm slings and knee braces yet?

Orthopedics by Rahm…?

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

gophergirl on November 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Don’t get too carried away!

Our country is still in mortal danger as long as totalitarian thugs like Pelosi, Hoyer, Reid and Osama Obama are in power.

Breathe easy when all are out of D.C. and (with luck) in various courtrooms answering for their crimes, not before.

MrScribbler on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

“Tried and failed?”

“Tried and died.”

Bishop on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Hoyer is angling for her job, I think. He keeps dropping these bombs on her. He did it on the last vote, now this one.

lorien1973 on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Nancy Pelosi – Best. Speaker. Evah!

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

If Dear Speaker had wanted this to actually pass, she should have forced a vote before the past week’s election.

Every blue-dog got to see VA go red and a republican win NJ. Sobering to many of them, I’m sure.

Techie on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

HALLELUJAH ! HALLELUJAH !

HALLELUJAH ! HALLELUJAH !

HALL-LAAAAY-U-JAH !!!

stenwin77 on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Jesus, H. Crackers, Californie. For the love of all that is good and sane, do the nation a favor: DUMP NANCY PELOSI.

She’s a goddamed embarrassment, just like the rest of this Administration and its political party.

Good Lt on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

And now for McCain and buddies to screw us with Crap and Tax

aikidoka on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I’ve said it here before. Watch Hoyer closely over the next year, as he maneuvers to take Nancy’s job.

Christien on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I would like to know what the vote count could possibly be so the constituents in the districts with yes votes can protest this even more.

I want to know what bribes are going on behind closed doors to try and get these idiots to vote yes.

Hey Nancy don’t you remember saying something about transparency? Or how about being ethical?

Brat4life on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Now it’s the race against time.

Can you buy enough votes to get a majority, before disaffected voters in Blue Dog districts peel them away from you (and/or before reading the bill finds the fatal flaws you were hoping never saw the light of day until after passage)?

Aside from paying billions per vote in clear bribery, how can they possibly get more votes in this economic/political climate?

gekkobear on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

rplat on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Excellent idea!

Dire Straits on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

No, no, no. This is a false flag. Remember with cap and trade how there was a rumor out on Friday morning that they didn’t have the votes? And then they did?

Don’t believe this. Burn up the phones.

Missy on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Gawd the dems need to push Ol’ Nan out the door. She’s a horrible, vapid, mean, insipid, bully of a demon in heels. If I had to work with , or around her on a daily basis, I think I’d be twiddling my finger between my lips.

capejasmine on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

And today’s unemployment announcement should do wonders for Pelosi’s vote drive…….

JoeinTX on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

One small battle won today.

Amadeus on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

This is Black Friday for the Dems.

Thank God.

NebCon on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

It’s a ruse, it’s a ruse! The phones are melting in DC and Steny is just looking for some breathing room. No one has the heart (or ‘nads) to tell the Ice Queen, so Steny is doing the dirty work today.

Keep it up and call him directly.

IT’S A RUSE!!

They’re feeling the boot on their neck, keep stomping.

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Congress is supposed to be on break beginning Monday, right? What if some of the Dems decide to go home, regardless of Pelosi’s wishes that they stay in town. She doesn’t have that much control, does she, to keep them all in town?

parteagirl on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Thank God. Thank God. The coming weekend just started looking a whole lot better.

WesternActor on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

lorien1973 on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

But you do destroy the country under the dark of night. That said, I’ve been saying this thing’s a goner since it didn’t happen in July.

LibTired on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Keep up the pressure. Too early to celebrate.

ElectricPhase on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

awww c’mon Ed–the PC statement is “she acted stupidly”

that one gets her and Steny beer in a week or two.

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

He’s quoting Indiana Jones.

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Don’t believe this. Burn up the phones.

Missy on November 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Could be.

the_nile on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Bwaaahahahahahahahah!!!!

Steney wants Nancy’s Job.

“But I would have the votes!”-Hoyer

portlandon on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

This is twice she’s said she has the votes. Seriously, what drugs is she on, and when are the democrats going to strip her from the Speaker’s position? This is an epic fail…again.

SouthernGent on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

So, now they’ll have time to post the bill (current version) online?

mid_aged_man on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

So I guess this means there is plenty of time to disseminate the bill for public perusal.

Bishop on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Re: Don’t have enough votes lined up

It HAD BETTER stay that way, or else….

Sir Napsalot on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Heh.

NathanG on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

HALLELUJAH ! HALLELUJAH !

HALLELUJAH ! HALLELUJAH !

HALL-LAAAAY-U-JAH !!!

stenwin77 on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

No way, NO way! This is the response Steny WANTS! He knows you’ll do this. Don’t you hallelujah a damn thing until the jail cell door goes closed or someone loses big like Corzine.

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Lets face it, you would have to be a maniac or a nitwit to vote for this clusterfark.

I was leaning toward nitwit but now I think even nitwits can see this train wreck coming.

Lonetown on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Why vote on it then?

becki51758 on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

“We have the votes”
“The war is lost”
“The surge won’t work”
“The stimulus worked”
“Afghanistan is the right war”
“I will bring transparency”

My BS meter has gone off-scale.

fogw on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

awww c’mon Ed–the PC statement is “she acted stupidly”

that one gets her and Steny beer in a week or two.

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Prefaced with a shout out and “I don’t know all the details but…”

NickelAndDime on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

When does Congress adjourn this fall? How much more time do they really have to get this pushed through? And how about other work that needs to be completed. Isn’t the budget past due? Methinks they loitered a little too long on this debate.

CBP on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

This is getting funny, in a sick way.

They should have passed this in the summer. If they don’t have the votes now, they will never get them.
We can not let up and we can not take our eye off crap and tax.

These sleazeballs are intent on the USSA. Freedom loving people can not let up.

ORconservative on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

He’s quoting Indiana Jones.

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I know, I’m just practicing the verbal recalibration that I learned in PC camp….

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Don’t get too carried away!

MrScribbler on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Oh I know but after Tuesday and the fact they still can’t get the votes – I feel like we are slowly getting our country back. It’s still going to be a dog fight but I feel like we are finally winning some battles. It might not be morning in America but it’s defintely early dawn I think.

gophergirl on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

LibTired on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

But the liberals don’t see it as destroying the country. Believe you me if this ever passes they will be crowing from the rooftops about it as a major, historic moment in the history of the universe.

SouthernGent on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

How will this witch try and spin this epic failure as a success?

Pelosi never admits she’s wrong. This will be rich.

NoDonkey on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

She chose … poorly.

Apparently some of the readers here don’t keep up on their film references.

“That’s a cup that a carpenter would own.”

JohnGalt23 on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Whether they had the votes or not, doesn’t it seem a tad tacky to continue on this campaign when we have suffered a rather disturbing tragedy in our country? I guess acting human it too much for them.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

This is getting tiresome. The woman who claims the CIA lied to her has repeatedly been out there during every critical step of the process claiming that the rats had the votes necessary to pass this legislation whenever they want. She made the claim in July, August, October, and just this week. When is somebody give her the Joe Wilson treatment?

highhopes on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Pookie and I are all jiggered up…. for now.

txag92 on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Sigh of relief.

Exhale… relax… this has to be good for my health at least!

petunia on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

It’s a trap!

As long as Nancy keeps her caucus penned up in their DC hutches, this thing could pass at any moment. This “admission” from Hoyer is just misdirection to get tea-partiers to relax, lay off the phone lines and enjoy their weekends.

Fabozz on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

LibTired on November 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Dems would term it a major success. Thus makes no sense to vote on saturday.

Yep, it died under the $9 trillion debt annoucement. I’ve been saying that forever, too.

lorien1973 on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

But she won the only vote they were competing in.

ChrisB on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I hope she fails.

OmahaConservative on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

A word of caution – Just because Hoyer’s saying they don’thave them now doesn’t mean they aren’t working like hell to get them.

Don’t get complacent.

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I will not feel confident until next year they will keep trying.

Dire Straits on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Lonetown on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

are you being a little hard on nitwits??

ted c on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I love the Indiana Jones reference.

Daggett on November 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM

guess acting human it too much for them.

These aren’t humans we’re dealing with……….their full-blooded Trotskyite Socialists.

They don’t act like normal human beings.

JoeinTX on November 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Well…good.

Really good.

Bob's Kid on November 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Sunday’s headline in New York Times ……..

Donks Defeat Themselves

fogw on November 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Anyone in Chet Edwards’ district (Democrat)in Texas — please call him and ask him to vote “no” on this – He is in a district that could vote him out –He is a faux conservative at election time, but as I stated in previous post, he changes his spots after elected -(for the life of me, I can’t figure out how he keeps getting re-elected). His office says he has not yet decided how he was going to vote (I’ll bet) -But if enough people call, who knows —- (202) 225 6105

texasaggie on November 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM

First Saturday, then Sunday, now some time early next week. Can we start a pool for when this hell rains down American’s health?

Rovin on November 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Michele Bachmann’s House call to Washington woke them up. Seeing tea partiers there scared the crap out of the blue dogs.

cubachi on November 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Whoops…not Senator Hoyer…Rep. Hoyer. Sorry…I’m tired today…so sue me. lol… I used to vote for Hoyer, when I first moved into the Southern Maryland area and wasn’t so into politics because he’s from there, but I haven’t voted for him lately. The man is a left wing loon these days. But I agree with those above: I think he’s angling for Nancy’s job…he was ever since she got position as Speaker. Remember the feud between them that erupted immediately after she got the job?

Highlar on November 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM

STOP CELEBRATING! Have we not learned anything from these lying liars? I smell Democratic diversion tactics- DON’T STOP CALLING AND E-MAILING!!

anniekc on November 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

gophergirl on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I’m not as optimistic. The filthy lying coward and his party need to pass something. This weekend in the House will be like the political version of Deal or No Deal with Hoyer and even Rahm going in and purchasing whatever votes they can not bully into submission.

highhopes on November 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

This is good news, Gang. But be cautious. Politicians lie.

kingsjester on November 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Why vote on it then?

becki51758 on November 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Actually the Republicans ought to demand a vote to kill it forever. After it has been voted down they have to start over and get more sensible.

By the way… I’m not all that impressed with what the Repubs came up with.

The cost cutting and all is good… but someone needs to address the uninsured. There just has to be a solution to that. One that doesn’t tank the economy that is.

petunia on November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

rplat on November 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Yes, a very excellent idea. I wrote to my socialist congress critter and made it clear that I would make it my mission to replace her with a person with real American values.

dogsoldier on November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Ladies that’s your cue:

Ted Torgerson on November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Well I guess we can expect another great Allen Grayson speech or is he still hiding under his desk from FOX News.

Dire Straits on November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Elections, unemployment, health care:

Barry’s terrible, horrible, awful, very bad week.

ChrisB on November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I love the smell of Hope and Change burning in the morning.

johnsteele on November 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM

highhopes on November 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I have to have optimism because if not I get really really pissed. I’m still calling and e-mailing but I’ll take any bit of good news.

gophergirl on November 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Pelosi’s problem is all them DINOs she has in her caucus.

And we thought the GOP was at war with itself?

uknowmorethanme on November 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Keep the heat on all the Democrat legislators and anyone else that might cave to Pelosi. This socialist healthcare manifesto will destroy the nation.

rplat on November 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Rampant unemployment, looming new taxes that will destroy wide swaths of the economy leading to more unemployment, and this White House is charging full steam ahead on a health-care takeover.

Real bright there. Thanks.

spmat on November 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM

It still may not be a bad idea to call your representative and say “Hey!”. Especially if you think they may be leaning towards voting with the Speaker.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Don’t get complacent.

BadgerHawk on November 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I agree completely with this. And he even says so himself in the article up there:

This tells me that they are fighting like hell to get the 218 votes they need. I think Hoyer just used this time to shove a bit of a poker at Nancy over the issue of not having them for Saturday when she’s been saying all over the place that yes she does. Just a dig at Nancy in the power struggle.

Highlar on November 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Breaking: Hoyer admits Dems don’t have the votes intelligence for go ahead and scrap the Pelosi Plan

mankai on November 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Hoyer wants Pelosi’s job, so why would he want Pelosi to succeed? Of course, he has to go through the kabuki motions of LOOKING like he’s working to make her succeed.

I think some of y’all are misreading this.

Christien on November 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

This is the time to really melt the phone lines. If anyone has a personal contact with their Representative, make that contact now. This is not the time to rest. My blue dog is voting no…we all know where he lives…heh

d1carter on November 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

This is good news, Gang. But be cautious. Politicians lie.

kingsjester on November 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Say it isn’t true ;-)

johnsteele on November 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

highhopes on November 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I HOPE the House passes this bill. The Senate isn’t moving at all. If it passes in the House, but gets delayed or killed in the Senate, then you can kiss a Democratic Majority in the House goodbye.

uknowmorethanme on November 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM

SouthernGent on November 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Depends which liberals we’re talking about. I believe the ones pushing this know exactly what they are doing (destroying the country) and want to get it done any way they can. It’s far more dear to them than a political win, because destroying the country swims in their foul blood.

LibTired on November 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM

The Democrats CANNOT afford for this to get a vote and not pass.

It’d be really dead then, as opposed to mostly dead.

Techie on November 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Kill the bill. I don’t care how that happens. Just Kill Obamacare.
If NanFran goes all kamikazi and this kills the bill, I woundn’t mind.

nyx on November 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM

cubachi on November 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM

As well it should. Someone on TV said last night that they weren’t allowed into somewhere so the started chanting and it echoed through the offices…

I wonder how many dreamed of the French Revolution last night.

What did Jefferson say about the government fearing the people? The only way to keep freedom? Yep!

If I had an extra dime these days I’d go myself. It looks like fun.

petunia on November 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM