Gingrich on NY-23: Conservatives have every right to be angry at me

posted at 9:42 pm on November 4, 2009 by Allahpundit

People are buzzing about this online but I’m not sure why. “I regret deeply that she was chosen,” he says of Scozzafava in an apparent reversal of his prior support. Except it’s not a reversal: He admitted to Andrew Wilkow way back on October 21 that she’s not the person he would have nominated. His endorsement was always strategic, to support Republican leaders at the local level and dissuade third-party challenges next year.

Why Republicans in a district where there’s no primary should defer to party leaders instead of rallying behind their preferred candidate is a question left unanswered, but that may be because it’s unasked. Ah well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I still don’t think he was entirely wrong in supporting Dede: she would have been better than the Dem, and Hoffman’s entrance insured the Dem’s victory.

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 5, 2009 at 10:00 AM

No. I don’t see any way it would have been better to seat a RINO just now.

In strategic terms, that seat comes back to the electorate in one year’s time. If Scozzafava had won, we’d be stuck having to root a RINO out of there. Republican on republican, and at a time when we can’t spare the seat.

Until 2010, the Dem majority is so large in the House that this one seat makes no real difference. We can well afford to stand the loss now so as to put a dependable conservative vote in it later, when it might count for something.

Murf76 on November 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM

The back story is at RedState. In brief the NRCC/Sessions and RNC/Steele have a problem with the timeline and their early involvement with the 11 districts in NY-23. Know this, what Newt knew and when Newt knew it will never be revealed in public.

Blacksmith8 on November 5, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Yes, I think a timeline is in order that includes all the players. I can understand that the policies at the NRCC and RNC would dictate they endorse the candidate supported by the local GOP, that is their job. But Newt is not in any of those roles and it just seems to me that he had to know there was an undercurrent going on that involved Jerri Thompson and I would suspect that Newt would have been one of those that was contacted by her or Fred or at least he knew. If that’s the case, it seems to indicate there’s a bigger internal fight going on … Jerri Thompson pwned Newt!

Texas Gal on November 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I give him credit, he is right.

Firebird on November 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM

It takes a big person to admit when they are wrong. Especially publicly, and in the way Newt has done. Give Newt a little slack now. If he hangs himself with the slack will be his doing, not ours.

portlandon on November 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Oooops My bad…

Kuffar on November 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Nobody is mad ! Everyone who listens to Newt anyway raise your hand . Those with your hands up , turn to the one one nearest you and slap some sense into each other .

borntoraisehogs on November 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM

OT/

c-span is covering the Bachmann presser on the capitol steps today at noon EST

Ris4victory on November 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I got a fund-raising call from the RNC this morning. It went this way:

“I’m sure you’re thrilled about our two victories in New Jersey and Virginia …”

Me: “Yes, and you lost in NY 23 because you threw away $900,000 to a Democrat masquerading as a Republican. Get your act together and maybe I’ll contribute to you in the future, but for now …” — click —

PackerBronco on November 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Gee, Newt learned how to throw people under the bus from Obama! Instead of admitting that he was wrong and that the folks who selected her did not do the job well in finding a candidate, he threw her under the bus and will now have made a lot of people in that district even less favorable to the Republicans for the future. Nice blue-sizing NY-23 Newt Gangrene.

IanTrouble on November 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Poot Gingrich–day late and a dollar short again.

Percy_Peabody on November 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM

We EXPECT our leadership to understand the basic principles of Constitutional governance. Political machinations will no longer be tolerated. And if you are of the same mind, if this is your definition of Republicanism… there’s plenty of room for you under the Big Tent. :)

Murf76 on November 5, 2009 at 8:17 AM

No, Murf76, I neither expect nor want leadership that fails to govern from the basic tenets outlined in the constitution. I agree with you, and sincerely appreciate your post. I just get a bit frustrated when the tent shrinks unnecessarily.

My point wasn’t about acceptance of failure as much as it was about allowing those who have strayed to find their way back home. Newt may have strayed too far to reclaim a place of prominence as an elected official, but he can, with some honest self-reflection, rediscover and embrace what republicanism is all about.

anXdem on November 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Must have missed it in the news, but

when did Newt get the O-botomy?

Sweet_Thang on November 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I just unsubscribed to Newt.org newsletters. I think it is time for this guy to retire to elder statesman status and simply be consulted on election night TV coverage. He’s got no more clout or credibility with me.

kens on November 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Newt who?

jbh45 on November 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Nice that he apologized. But, and it’s a big but, who cares? These things were all knowable before he opened his big mouth. I do see his point that there is never the perfect candidate. But, again, Scozzafava was so far left to be easy to spot.

Pablo Snooze on November 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Sadly, it is too little too late for Newt.

I am a long time Newt supporter. I’ve wanted him to run for POTUS since 1994. But his recent mad dash to the center-left has left me wondering WTH? happened to him.

I cannot and will not vote for anyone that does not support conservative candidates or principles. McCain didn’t get my vote and if we get a Big Tent candidate in 2012 they won’t get my vote. I agree that third parties are dangerous, but I also believe that the Big Tent idea is equally as dangerous because there are no real ideals or values.

SimplyKimberly on November 5, 2009 at 2:13 PM

The only “civil war” I see in the Republican Party is between the professional consultant class (i.e. Mark McKinnon, Steve Schmidt) and the rank-and-file.

These consultants seem to be trying to defend their hold on Republican “tier 1” campaign activities .. the same way that Wordward and Berstein belittle every political scandal that came after Watergate .. so as not to diminish their position .. vis-à-vis the next campaign.

J_Crater on November 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Newt, with all due respect… You had your chance, thanks for 1994, now please just go away and keep making those excellent Ronald Reagan cd’s. YOu REALLY blew it this time, and that is enough!
/signed/ All the Conservatives like me

Khun Joe on November 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM

If you have no clue what a candidate stands for, you are a fool for giving the candidate a public endorsement.

Integrity matters: if your candidate doesn’t have it, you may be voting for a criminal or an enemy. Guiding philosophy matters: you must be able to depend upon the judgement of your candidate when future problems arise.

landlines on November 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM

anXdem on November 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I agree. In fact, I think it’s likely. Newt’s a smart guy, and even though he richly deserves a little time in the doghouse… he’ll get it figured out before long.

Sometimes a “smart guy” like that can get a little too caught up in his own cleverness and lose sight of the most basic things, not seeing the forest for the trees as it were. :D

Murf76 on November 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Why don’t the Dems “Big Tent” take these moderates (Liberals) in that the Conservatives want out of the party? They and their media whores keep telling us that the Republicans will never been in the majority again if these falsies are thrown out. So why don’t they try to bring in some more “Blue Dogs”?

chickasaw42 on November 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Newt TY for admitting you were wrong about Dede.

Now admit you were a complete idiot to do that global warming commercial with Pelosi.

jpmn on November 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

You’re dead to me.

Jaibones on November 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Palin/Newt 2012

mike_NC9 on November 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Newt, do what all good newts do, and crawl under a log and wait for some insects and worms to come by. We don’t need your intellect in 2010 like you offered sixteen years ago.

TBenton on November 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I listened to Newt on Hannity the other day and i understand his perspective on this. He is looking at the big picture. For the Republicans the goal has to be un-seating Nancy Pelosi. She is causing tremendous damage to our country, more damage then any single RINO could cause. If you have to sit a few RINOs in your caucus to have enough to unseat her, then so be it.

In the end what happened in new york 23 is irrelevant. The seat will be wide open next year and chances are the republicans will take it.

tflst5 on November 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM