Dems call police in NY-23 over Hoffman supporters

posted at 2:40 pm on November 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Election laws usually prohibit campaigning within a certain distance from a polling location on Election Day.  Usually, all it takes is a word to the precinct judges to get violations from overeager campaigners straightened out.  Democrats in NY-23′s special election called the cops, as the New York Daily News’ Elizabeth Benjamin reports:

I just got off the phone with former state Democratic Chairwoman June O’Neill, who informed me the police had been called to at least two polling sites in St. Lawrence County due to overzealous electioneering (O’Neill called it “voter intimidation”) by Doug Hoffman supporters.

“We’ve gotten reports that people are standing there, covered with Hoffman stickers and yelling anti-choice stuff at voters,” said O’Neill, a St. Lawrence native who has been running the party’s GOTV effort for Bill Owens in NY-23. …

O’Neill also said she had received anecdotal reports of problems at polling sites in Gouverneur, which is Assemblywoman Dede Scozzafava’s hometown. But she couldn’t immediately confirm this.

O’Neill couldn’t confirm it, but she didn’t mind whining about it anyway to the media.  Benjamin does what reporters should do, which is to follow up with officials in the area to confirm O’Neill’s complaints.  The elections commissioner in St. Lawrence, a Republican, doesn’t appear nearly as “wee-wee’d up” as O’Neill:

“If people are electioneering within the marker and don’t stop when we ask them to, our inspectors are instructed to call law enforcement to assist them. I don’t think anybody was arrested.”

This appears to be a strategy for someone who believes their side will lose.  O’Neill called the media to cast doubt on the election, based on … loud campaigning a little too close to a polling location.  It’s akin to blaming a loss in a football game to an offsides call in the second quarter.  It may make the complainant feel better, but to everyone else they look like a very poor loser.

Frankly, I consider the story here to be that Hoffman’s supporters have organized effectively and still have more enthusiasm than Bill Owens and the Democrats.  If they’re scaring the Democrats in NY-23, they must be doing something right.  Maybe the Democrats understand how local GOP leaders have felt for the past two weeks after their disastrous pick of Dede Scozzafava.

Meanwhile, Jim Geraghty’s hearing some interesting anecdotal evidence about turnout in New Jersey:

A trusted source tells me that as of noon, total turnout in the GOP the swing districts in NJ is significantly outpacing turnout in Democrat districts. The turnout ratio is not quite two to one, but it’s not that far from it.

Now, this should NOT be interpreted as ipso facto evidence that Chris Christie is going to win. Democratic districts may have more voters show up later in the day. This isn’t an exit poll, and we have no idea how the folks in any of these districts are voting; we just know that they’re showing up and voting.

Turnout appears low in Newark, too.  That’s big trouble for Jon Corzine if it continues.  It also means that last-minute appeals to keep precincts open past normal poll-closing times won’t work, which should mean fewer shenanigans on the ground.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This isn’t funny. Do you know how much carnage a tea-party grandma armed with stickers can cause? Be afraid, be very afraid.

Laura in Maryland on November 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I’m in Monmouth County, NJ. My oldest voted at 9:00 am and he was #19. I went with my younger son at 12:30 pm and we were #s 126 and 127. Town of 6,000 with a permanent Democratic family running things (mayor who is an atty in town, cousin who is a higher up in the PD, another cousin who is a Freeholderloader.) Only one Republican on the council right now, with another challenger running today. Most people voting here probably care more about the council vote than the governorship.

The town is probably 55-45 D to R, but the area is getting redder as old homes are being renovated or town down. We are also surrounded by towns that go fairly consistently go red. (Central coastal NJ).

I’m stuck in a gerrymandered district that looks like a rattlesnake with twenty busted vertebrae, represented by another lifer, Pallone (D), who co-wrote the house health fraud bill. Just a few blocks away the district has Chris Smith (R), who was generally pretty good, if a bit of a tree hugger. But then the SOB went and voted for Crap & Tax.

It’s NJ. What can I tell you.

IrishEi on November 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

That tabulation comes after the polls are closed.

Wasn’t it Washington state where a polling place had “problems” until the count of votes from everywhere else were known, then mirable dictu, the votes from that station had enough D votes to put their candidate over the top?

Crawford on November 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Better send in the New and Improved Black Panthers.

Akzed on November 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Hoffman supporter has tires slashed.

PASS THIS ON!!!

tetriskid on November 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Sounds to me that there is a whole lot of community organizing going on … Oba-Mao should be proud of the people.

tarpon on November 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM

ginaswo on November 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Here is a lib blogger updating with people’s tweets: http://www.bluevirginia.us/2009/11/tim-kaine-on-msnbc-open-election-thread.html

And this guy seems pretty connected to everything (again, a lib): http://notlarrysabato.typepad.com/ Look for him on Twitter, as he is posting more info there then on his blog.

For whatever reason, none of the conservative VA political blogs are updating with info.

changer1701 on November 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Hoffman supporter has tires slashed.
PASS THIS ON!!!
tetriskid on November 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM

CORECCTION: Scuzzywuzzy bit them, and is now in custudy.

Akzed on November 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

This transparent “voter intimidation” sham is bottom of the barrel sh!t.

Gang-of-One on November 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Better send in the New and Improved Black Panthers.

Akzed on November 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Call the Police on a few over zealous Hoffman Supporters but totally igore Thugs with Clubs….LMAO What a bunch of girlie girls and girlie men!

BigMike252 on November 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Next, there will be reports are coming in of … “aborted fetuses fighting with police” … in the streets of NY-23.

The humanity .. the humanity …

J_Crater on November 3, 2009 at 3:40 PM

IrishEi on November 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

You must be on the Irish Riviera! I am north of you in Pallone’s home town. Hubby and I voted at 8 this morning and we were 35 & 36 respectively. Please let God hear our prayers and kick Corzine to the curb!

red131 on November 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM

CableDude on November 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!

ExpressoBold on November 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I’m in Atlantic County in NJ and I went to vote at about 11:30.I was number 87 for my designated district. (8 of them in town)The people in my town are pretty consistent about voting and we tend to lean red. No one I know here likes Corzine, except one neighbor who writes idiotic letters to the editor of our local rag that they actually keep printing.

Beaglemom on November 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Democratic districts may have more voters show up later in the day.

Day, week, month, from the grave…it all adds up…

right2bright on November 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I’m in Monmouth County, NJ.

Hey, me too…..right near the racetrack. I got to the polls around 9 a.m. and was #61. Four years ago when I cast my first vote against Corslime, I was #150-ish……at 6 p.m.

That’s my hopes for a high, anti-Corslime turnout.

Jerome Horwitz on November 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Laura in Maryland on November 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Nothing a few New Black Panther “pollwatchers” with nightsticks can’t handle. At least that’s what Eric Holder told me.
/s

VelvetElvis on November 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM

ExpressoBold on November 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Sorry about the site. It was the only place I could find that audio.

CableDude on November 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Tape? Pics? Audio? Anything?

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Where did simplesimon get to? Isn’t he supposed to be getting Pookie up?

POOOOOOKKKKKIIIE! GET YOUR A$$ UP AND VOTE!

katy the mean old lady on November 3, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I’m in suburban Essex County (read not Newark) and I voted at 8:40 am and was #126 in my precint. Our little town tends to run R in a sea of D, but even some of my dem friends aren’t voting for Corzine. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Willie on November 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM

TSK, TSK…
Those old, gray haired, senior American thugs strike again.

byteshredder on November 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM

TSK, TSK…
Those old, gray haired, senior American thugs strike again.

byteshredder on November 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Obama’s death panels will solve that problem before the next election.

Hang on to hope for the next change!

Liam on November 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Corzine is finally being flushed after clogging the bowl.

Geochelone on November 3, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Get out and get in their face! Conservatives in NY23 are sooo lucky. Wish I were there…

TN Mom on November 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM

They are wise to be concerned . How much do they think people will take ? They are so amused with making Anderson Cooper-like funnies about the tea parties , they have no idea about the seriousness of this protest .

borntoraisehogs on November 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I’m in Keyport, Monmouth County, Gateway to the Shore, and there were literally two people there a half an hour ago when I voted.

I don’t know what to make of that. Keyport trends Democratic and the official there said it was more or less that slow all day.

I’m hoping Corzine voters just aren’t going out today.

Nay, I’m praying…

Russ

russcote on November 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM

UPDATE: Joy Yearout, spokeswoman for the Susan B. Anthony List, a pro-life group that has endorsed Hoffman and is providing some 200 volunteers for him today, called in to provide “some additional information.”

Yearout said SBL has people working polling sites at 100 precincts in the 23rd for Hoffman. They’re handing out sample ballots so voters know where to find his name – remember, he’s on the Conservative line, which is Row D.

“At least three of our volunteers have been threatened with police when they’re not doing anything wrong,” Yearout said. “They haven’t seen any Democrats. No one for Owens.”

“So, apparently, the poll workers who are Owens supporters are doing the only thing they can do: Intimidate. And they’re doing that by calling the police. Nobody’s been arrested because nobody’s doing anything wrong.”

Article updated

Enoxo on November 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Ah, but the mainstream “conventional wisdom” imparted to us via our brilliant leftwing pundits and bloggers and MSNBC hosts and mainstream reporters is that OBAMA CHANGED THE LANDSCAPE FOREVER. PERMANENT DEMOCRAT MAJORITIES. THE GOP IS DEAD. REPUBLICANS ARE DONE FORVER. OBAMA IS THE MASTER. YADDA YADDA YADDA.

A trifecta of GOP wins here less than a year after this “permanent groundshift-realignment” – including a governorship in a state Obama won last fall and in a reliably deep-blue state called NJ – means NOTHING about Obama.

Of course, if the GOP loses, Obamacrats will crow that their boy in the WH and his idiotic policies have been validated, that the GOP is dead and fractured, etc etc ad nauseum.

So these elections only have meaning to Democrats if they win them (Democrats want people to think). Otherwise, move along nothing to see here.

Right?

See you in 2010. You’re going to be very unhappy.

Good Lt on November 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Don’t forget, that if McDonnell wins in VA, it means the DNC Chairman, Tim Kaine, Governor of Virginia, could not deliver his state for “Teh Won”. Hopefully, Timmy will be out of two jobs

riverrat10k on November 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Eric Holder won’t investigate the Black Panthers from last November

Raise your hand if you think he won’t investigate this

ToddonCapeCod on November 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Fellow Jerseyites: Let’s remember… we were only supposed to be a stepping stone for Corzine. He was supporting Hilary and angling for a cabinet post. Just drove past a polling place in heavily R West Long Branch and it was packed. Drove past my local polling place here in Long Branch and it was empty.

red131 on November 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM

This is a very serious issue!

Have they contacted Home Land Security?

Have they notified the FBI?

The NSA?

Interpol?

There is nothing so dangerous as inspired, activated Conservatives supporting the candidate of their choice.

That is something that just cannot be allowed in our society!

Overturn the first amendment.

Stifle the free speech of Conservatives, including pro-lifers.

Anything they say is hate speech, anything they do is a hate crime, and they are always and everywhere a violent, hate filled, racist mob.

Do I have that right?

Barrack Hussein Obama – mmm mmm mmm

Go Doug Hoffman!

Kick As@!!!!

William2006 on November 3, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I really dislike Corzine. Even if his politics were decent I would dislike him as a person… My eyes are on New Jersey!

Of all the races this damages Obama. No matter what anyone says. NY23 is about internal Republican party politics. But New Jersey is about American politics and the jerk in the Whitehouse.

petunia on November 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Are you in St. Louis County?

MobileVideoEngineer on November 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM

OT:
Yes. Fascists. Most people I hear talk about the smoking ban, just say, “I don’t like smoke.” Ok. I don’t like old people driving. So we should ban driving after 70. Where does this end? They are telling private business owners how to run their business. It’ll pass, but I’m soooo disgusted.

JAM on November 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Voter intimidation? Didn’t the justice department declare that legal? I mean for black panthers at least. I think normal every day folks should get the same consideration as black panthers.

petunia on November 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Where is Grow Fins? This is going to be his last day to post….Come on, get in your last diggs!!

deidre on November 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I seem to be late to the party:

1) What did Grow Fins do to get banned? Not that I’m complaining or anything… ;-)

and

2) Who the H-E-double-hockey-sticks is “Pookie”????

Mary in LA on November 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Mary in LA on November 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Obama called on the audience to vote, and to make sure others do.

“You’re going to need to get cousin Pookie off the couch, and say, ‘Pookie, it’s time to go vote,’ ” POTUS said. “You’ve all got a cousin Pookie, you know who I’m talking about.”

Brat on November 3, 2009 at 5:38 PM

If thats voter intimidation then theres a ton of people who should be in jail in my area.

The last 2 years theres been no one, but before that, and for mayoral elections, people are standing right infront of the door to where you vote.

Rbastid on November 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Thanks, Brat! I was confused, because “Pookie” was the name of Garfield’s stuffed teddy bear, back in the days when Garfield was still funny.

Of course, if dead people can vote Democrat, I suppose newspaper comic strip stuffed teddy bears can, too. ;-)

Mary in LA on November 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Long Branch

red131 on November 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Hey neighbor !!! Eatontown over here.

Jerome Horwitz on November 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Prediction:

Democrats-Leftists-Liberals are going to resort the litigation to win all the elections.

They will push to have “recounts” and “recounts” and more recounts until they “find” the handful of votes that give them the win.

The Democrats-Leftists-Liberals-Fifth Columnists-Socialists-Marxists will try to have Republican and other party votes omitted, thus violating other voters’ rights to “choose.”

It is their history (recently) and they have pushed quite a few thuggish, unqualified “candidates” who lost their respective elections, into office.

They win by litigation, not by election, except in the case of Barrack Hussein Obama – Messiah, Savior of Mankind, The One, the Lord, Mister Hope and Change, in which case he won on the ignorance and lack of informed choice on the part of the voters, enabled by media bias in Obama’s favor, doing everything, including kissing his as@ to help paint him as the Lord and Savior, while whitewashing, ignoring, and omitting so many important factors related to Obama that should have eliminated him from winning the Democrat nomination, or prevented him from winning the Presidential election from the start, including his terrible clack of qualification, experience, strength, maturity, and US and Constitution related commitment.

William2006 on November 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM