Big sweep today?

posted at 9:30 am on November 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Washington Times reports that Republicans hope for a big three-state sweep today — two governor’s seats and a special election for Congress.  They actually leave one race out, a California special election to replace Ellen Tauscher in Congress, which the GOP has almost no hope of winning.  However, an East Coast sweep would definitely send a message to Democrats ahead of next year’s midterms and this year’s votes on their radical Congressional agenda — and perhaps to a few Republicans as well:

Voters on Monday prepared to cast ballots in the first major elections since President Obama took office, offering a glimpse into how they think the president and his party have handled issues such as health care and the economy.

Republicans and their conservative allies were buoyed by late polls showing they could sweep the three biggest electoral prizes of 2009: the Virginia and New Jersey governors’ mansions and New York’s 23rd Congressional District seat.

Republican Robert F. McDonnell held a comfortable lead over Democrat R. Creigh Deeds in Virginia’s gubernatorial race with polls stoking Republican hopes of securing the top three jobs in the state for the first time since 1997.

Polling showed Mr. McDonnell had made steady gains in the final weeks among those who identified themselves as Republicans and independents while substantially cutting into the Democratic advantage in Northern Virginia, which helped Mr. Obama capture the state last year and awarded the governorship to now-Sen. Mark R. Warner in 2001 and Gov. Tim Kaine in 2005.

The California race pits statewide-election winner John Garamendi against relative unknown David Harmer in a district that went for Barack Obama by more than 20 points.  It borders Nancy Pelosi’s district, and Tauscher was no centrist.  The race has the same impact as NY-23 does in determining the size of Pelosi’s caucus, but it has gotten no media play simply because it looks like such a walkover.  In a special election, anything can happen — but it’s hard to imagine that the Republicans can outorganize the Democrats in this race.  If they do, that would send a big message to Congress: no one’s seat is safe next year.

Of the four races, only Virginia looks like a lock.  Creigh Deeds ran against a 20-year-old college thesis and lost miserably.  Bob McDonnell’s easy sail to victory threatens to put Virginia back in the red-state column, but it could also just indicate what a terrible candidate Deeds has been.  If Virginia elects a Republican to Congress in 2012, we may be seeing a real shift, one the GOP desperately needs.

NY-23 is shaping up to be a Republican win … in a district that Democrats haven’t won in over 110 years.  The only reason it’s in play is because of the foolishness of local GOP leaders, who handpicked a terrible candidate for the special election.  A win by Douglas Hoffman will certainly energize the conservative grassroots, but either way, this race has made fools of the GOP establishment.

New Jersey would be a real coup for Republicans, for two reasons.  First, New Jersey is solidly Democratic, but unhappy.  The GOP needs an entree back into power to demonstrate how center-right governance will benefit the state and its citizens.  Despite being outspent by Jon Corzine and a false-flag third-party candidate, Chris Christie is within sight of victory in the Garden State.  The second reason is that Barack Obama poured himself into the Corzine campaign, practically taking it over in the final weeks.  A loss here would be a big blow to his prestige and a warning about the limits of his coattails in 2010.  If Obama can’t hold New Jersey, then all bets are off in Congress for the midterms and Obama’s radical domestic policy agenda.

If Christie wins, of course.  Nothing is certain and few lessons can be applied until the GOP actually wins — and New Jersey and New York are not locks.  I’ll predict wins across the board for the GOP on the East Coast, and a fifteen-point Garamendi win in California that will be an afterthought.

Update: If any Hot Air readers are on the ground in NY-23, drop me a line to let me know what you see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

McDonnell + Hoffman + Christie = humpbot.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM

All I want is for Corzine to lose and I’ll be happy.

bridgetown on November 3, 2009 at 9:33 AM

A tsunami would be the Bay area California contest going (R). I can’t imagine that with the shape that state is in they would send a “lifer” politician from their house to Congress. But they will.

Marcus on November 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM

All I want is for Corzine to lose and I’ll be happy.

bridgetown on November 3, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Last November I said all I wanted was for Murtha and Al Franken to lose and I’d be happy.

That worked out great.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Creigh Deeds ran against a 20-year-old college thesis and lost miserably.

I think McDonnell should have just hid his thesis like Obama did. Heck, if the president can do it…..

I still don’t think Christie will win. NJ is corrupt, and it’ll be just like MN.

deidre on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

The only question is the margin of fraud.

beatcanvas on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I’ll predict wins across the board for the GOP on the East Coast

Even in New Jersey? Do you have guards posted at all the graveyards?

MB4 on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

But….but…al-AP told us yesterday that these elections are about as relevant as simplesimon.

Del Dolemonte on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

PREDICTION!!!!!!!!!

VA: McDonell wins by 20

NJ: Christie wins by 4 (the original difference is too large for dem fraud to overcome)

NY: Hoffman wins by 5

CA: Harman wins by 1 (i can dream… likely garamendi wins by 3-5 but im going on a limb)

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

People that think taxes are too high and still vote for Democrats deserve what they get.

tarpon on November 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I live in NJ and I want Christie to win. Yes he is not as conservative to my liking, but what else can we do?

This election will be an anti-Corzine election. I think Christie was helped tremendously by his appearance on the Don Imus show as Neil Cavuto said.
I never saw that side of Christie’s personality before, and I am actually not holding my nose to vote for him.

Hoffman, thanks to great media attention by Thompson, Palin, Beck, and conservative bloggers, will most likely win big as will Bob McDonnell.

cubachi on November 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

The Dems here in Virginia are trying, they really are. On a blog based near my hometown a local Democrat mayor posted that Dem HQ was bustling and that the local precinct was packed with voters. Uh huh. Not so in mine, at all. Though, as far as signs at the polling place go, the Democrat running for state delegate had the GOP candidate beat by about 10-1.

changer1701 on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Just got back from casting my vote for Christie…….here’s hoping it actually counts, and is not negated by Tony Romo’s and his offensive line’s absentee ballots.

Jerome Horwitz on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Remember 1994, when the last scalp to be taken was Tom Foley’s, way out on the Left Coast?

I remember. I hope the voters in California remember. We need shock and awe in order to frighten these weasels away from the health care takeover. It won’t happen, probably, but I never thought I’d see Foley go down to defeat either.

bonnie_ on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Look for Katie Couric and friends will spin this as “Angry White Male Extremists Out of Control!” – or something.

perroviejo on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I called friends in the 23rd District to get out and vote. Every vote counts!

It’ll be a late night in New Jersey. Eeek it out Christie!

NYconservative on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

The MSM will probably spin the race in California as an example of how things aren’t quite as bad for Obama as they might seem.

Gulchie on November 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I’ll be happy with 2 of big the 3 and I’m not holding my breath on Jersey because of, well, FRAUD.

If Jersey were to turn, beyond the margin of shennanigans, that would be jaw-dropping……

JoeinTX on November 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

The NJ Race has practically nothing to do with the congressional agenda. VA and NY23 are different stories (though even in NY23, a conservative winning makes sense, the district hasnt gone democrat in ages), but making NJ about the ‘radical congressional agenda’ is a reach, Ed.

ernesto on November 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Dude seriously I’ve had the FOX NFL theme in my head all night, its like Christmas! After field dressing scozzy the bear, Palin needs to bag crist! No really, she needs to, I will lose my admiration if governor “the color of pam” doesn’t get the Death-Blow!!! Anyone else feel like a kid today?

abobo on November 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

These elections are relevant as they are the collective match that lights the dynamite in ’10.

All we’ll hear about is the Dhimmicrat win in California anyway. The other elections, if the Republicans win, will be a back page story.

Mojave Mark on November 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM

cubachi on November 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

It’s NJ. Center right’s the best you’re going to get, at least in the short term. If Christie wins and does a solid job, maybe the state seats will start to get filled with center right candidates and you slowly start pulling the state right.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM

and a fifteen-point Garamendi win in California that will be an afterthought.

Harmer seems extremely sure he can win. Of course he must say this. His internals show him down by only 2%, so he says. The margin will be single digits if the democrat wins, which by default is a win…I guess.

SouthernGent on November 3, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Jerome Horwitz on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

LOL.

He apparently lives everywhere now! TX, NV, CA, NJ…

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 9:41 AM

****PS: for a good running commentary on polls, and all these eleections, the best ‘right leaning’ poll watching, election number site is:

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Chickens, hatching, counting….

You left out the most important verb:

Roosting.

notropis on November 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM

The center-right ran NY state for a good chunk of time under Pataki. They didn’t do much to turn the state anywhere. The center-righties in the northeast are content to just sit around not making things worse, rather than using fat times to make necessary cuts.

Maybe Christie can be different, but I wouldn’t put much faith in a governor turning a state like NJ right.

ernesto on November 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I think VA is a lock as well, I don’t care about California they will get what they deserve in the end. However, I am worried about NJ. Not because I don’t think Christie is a good guy I worry about the corruption and potential voter fraud due to the fact Obama did interject himself and his Obots into the mix. They are already predicting a re-count due to absentee ballots. This one is going to be one to watch. When you have Obama,ACORN, and SEIU involved in any election, voter fraud is a given. Period.

milwife88 on November 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

It’s come to this: I’m banking on the hope that Christie is probably just as dirty as Corzine is, so he’ll be ready for the vote stealing and have a few polling place thugs of his own to counter it. At the very least, he’s no Norm Coleman wimpy man who will just stand by while Corzine and the dems steal it. He (and his gumbas) will at least fight back. Yes, it’s come to this for me.

Rational Thought on November 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Winning is really losing. It is the death knell for conservatism. How do I know that? A donk and a RINO told me so.

Blake on November 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM

In all this analysis there is something being left out of the equation for next year and that’s the local elections.
I say watch the total numbers for either party. If you see big gains locally for the R’s, especially in the North east and West, it is very significant.

Rocks on November 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I’m not holding my breath for any of the Republican candidates today. History has proved, ad nauseum, that voters are way too fickle and polls are about as useful as screendoors on a submarine.

Whatever happens today, I won’t be shocked or awed either way.

SilverStar830 on November 3, 2009 at 9:45 AM

deidre on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Sadly true.

angryed on November 3, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I haven’t had a beer in three days.

It’s been very difficult.

But tonight I’m going to have a beer for each victory!

blatantblue on November 3, 2009 at 9:46 AM

How’s Sapwolf doing in NY? Maybe Sapwolf can be our eyes on the ground, reporting real time from NY-23.

I was a little disappointed that there was NO LINE to vote in my precint in VA this am. Hopefully the Democrats decided not to get out of bed.

Firefly_76 on November 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

ernesto on November 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

That’s why I put the “and does a solid job” in there. He’d have to show a real, noticeable difference from the leftist governance currently in place. That, combined with the anti-dem tidal wave that’s currently building could create a unique scenario for state legislatures in 2010.

And even that would only be the start of a very slow pull.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

(i can dream… likely garamendi wins by 3-5 but im going on a limb)

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Less than 10 would be something.

mankai on November 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Continental drift may be quicker than the pull you’re considering ;-)

ernesto on November 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM

NJ Update: Aliens, NFL Players, Cartoon Characters and the Undead breaking for Corzine.

mankai on November 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM

McDonnell has run a flawless campaign. I usually don’t ever go to political rallies but I have met McDonnell in Northern Virginia. Seems like an all around nice guy.
My gut says New Jersey would go to Christie but I am not going to put too much hope into it. NY-23 would be won by Hoffmann

nyx on November 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hopefully the Democrats decided not to get out of bed.

Firefly_76 on November 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

That requires a job sir!

abobo on November 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM

The other elections, if the Republicans win, will be a back page story.

What matters is making the blue dogs think about getting real jobs last year and leaving their phoney baloney jobs in Washington.

They won’t be spun by the White House or the MSM, they will be “sent a message”.

And that message will be, “don’t vote for Pelosi care or you’ll be involuntarily enrolled in it, after you get your ass thrown out of Congress by enraged voters.”

NoDonkey on November 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM

However, an East Coast sweep would definitely send a message to Democrats ahead of next year’s midterms and this year’s votes on their radical Congressional agenda…

I wish I could believe that, Ed. Average Americans have been sending messages to the yahoos in Washington for several months – polls, tea parties, 9/12 protests – and the pols have still managed to convince themselves that it’s all manufactured and, thus, meaningless.

GOP wins in these three elections might energize the base but don’t count on them causing any Road to Damascus conversions.

landshark on November 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Continental drift may be quicker than the pull you’re considering ;-)

ernesto on November 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM

You’re killing my buzz. : (

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Another minor indicator: here in Texas, we have a constitutional amendment election. Normally, a boring affair, with all amendments a slam dunk to pass. This year Heritage Alliance and Empower Texans did pretty thorough analysis on the amendments, is opposing some (1, 4, 6, 8) and some of the Tea Party groups (not all) have taken them up. If those amendments fail, it will definitely make people in Austin nervous.

michaelo on November 3, 2009 at 9:53 AM

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM

It would be nice, but don’t count on it. In Massachusetts, we had 4 Republican governors in a row before the current Democrat. And throughout that time, Democrats have taken over even more state offices. It’s very hard to overcome embedded, entrenched corruption.

MassVictim on November 3, 2009 at 9:53 AM

2009 elections: the beginning of the end for Precedent Pootieman

ya2daup on November 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM

You’re killing my buzz. : (

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I know, seriously people, no pissing on the early Super Bowl!!!

abobo on November 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM

What time do the polls close in these areas. I know Hannity said he’d like to call the race for Hoffman during his show. Is it 7 central or eastern?

Brat4life on November 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Personally, I think the big question in NY23 is not what it means for Obama and the rest of his Merry Theives, but what does it mean for The ‘Cuda?

Granted, it was a pretty unique situation there, and her ‘going out on a limb’ really wasn’t that fragile of a brance to venture out on. But still…

JamesLee on November 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Ad on the front page from the Owens campaign:

“Don’t Let Sarah Palin make an extremist your next congressman.”

Yeah. Doug’s SUCH an extremist. Good God that campaign is desperate.

Red Cloud on November 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Corzine will win, and it’ll stink of election fraud, but as usual, the GOP will whimper and the thieving Dem will win.

Repubs should win the others by enough to eliminate the impact of fraud.

Midas on November 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

If New Jersey heads right, Lucifer better start packin’ snowballs.

Been burned too many times by that state.

ElectricPhase on November 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Less than 10 would be something.

mankai on November 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM

a couple things about CA-10:

the dem, garamendi, is a longtime pol and lt governor from cali….. californians of ALL PARTIES are SICK of the morons in sacramento

now it wont cause them to vote for R’s en masse, but if you’re a moderate dem, and you see ‘lifer’ garmendi’s name on the ballot, you are MUCH more likely to a) stay home or b) vote harman as protest

if there’s ever a shot for the CA-10th, its in 2010. probably best chance we’ve had in 12? years

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Today is Waterloo Day.

Not just for Obama, but for RINOS and mushies in the GOP, which is the most important outcome.

The GOP is OUR party (the conservative party). People who don’t stand for Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness WITHOUT government control over us also have a party. The democrats.

wildcat84 on November 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Although it isn’t nearly as high-profile, we have a special state senate election here in Michigan in the 19th Senate District between Mike Nofs (R-Battle Creek) and Martin Griffin (D-Jackson). This election is to replace Mark Schauer (D-Battle Creek), who is currently a congressman representing Michigan’s 7th district. Schauer rode Obama’s coattails in the last election; this special election may give us an idea about how South Central Michigan feels about the direction the country is headed in. This is a very important election for us. I hope our people get out and support Mike Nofs.

WV736 on November 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Wins for Hoffman and McDonnell. Corazine will win in NJ using the same techniques as Franken. Too much corruption there.

a capella on November 3, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I want the HumpBot.
I want to laugh at Zero.
Gimme the HumpBot…

Haiku Guy on November 3, 2009 at 9:59 AM

deidre on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

let not your heart be troubled.

christie has 600+ lawyers at polls all around NJ… TONIGHT.

christie wins. he’s a former us attorney from new JERSEY for cryingn out loud…. he’s no norm coleman “nice boy”

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

changer1701 on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

You know what that means, right?

That the Democrat had a bunch of signs that he couldn’t give away.

JeffWeimer on November 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Repubs should win the others by enough to eliminate the impact of fraud.

Midas on November 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

This is what I see happening as well. A repeat of Minnesota and Al Franken’s theft of a senate seat.

In states that are as blue and corrupt as New Jersey, a Republican has to win by at least TWICE the margin of error to overcome the vote fraud, ACORN, etc. We all know that the Obama justice department won’t be the slightest bit interested in vote fraud unless they can gin up some by republicans.

wildcat84 on November 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Does anyone know the outcome of the suit filed against Fox News by Corzine? I was wondering if he got a little help from the judicary or was told to STFD AND STFU. I’m hoping for the later.

mkm19602000 on November 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM

wildcat84 on November 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

We Are the Steelers baby!

abobo on November 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Chickens, hatching, counting….

You left out the most important verb:

Roosting.

notropis on November 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Thank you. I was wondering when someone would smack that one out of the park.

hillbillyjim on November 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Firefly_76 on November 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

There was no line for me this morning in VA either.. .around 7am, which was very shocking. I live in NoVa, and I expected the Dems to be out in force here… better yet, I saw an election officer on TV this mrning, in deep-blue Alexandria, stating that there, so far, was an extremely low turnout. If NoVa is sleeping through this election, McDonnell will win by 15-20.

BPD on November 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Reagan’s ghost said that God has appointed Christie for the Job.

Reagan objected due some non-conservative stances of Christie but it’s God’s plan … so he just went along.

Satan is already preparing a special very hot seat for Corzine in Hell, according to the Ghost of JFK. This is Satan’s reward for Corzine’s corruption and lies.

TheAlamos on November 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Christie said on the Levin show he has 300 lawyers and 6oo poll “watchers” on the ground, told Mark he is prepared.We will see.

sandee on November 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM

It would be nice to believe in the correcting power of democratic elections but I’m being drawn ever closer to the conclusion that we’re headed for some kind of revolutionary schism in this country. I don’t see any other end in this conflict with the Left. Their hate, dogma and corruption permits no sunlight or oxygen for democratic life.

rrpjr on November 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

McDonnell won because he didn’t get baited into becoming the social conservative wacko candidate. He ran mostly as a competent public servant.

Speedwagon82 on November 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Mark my words, Jersey is the ‘talk right’, ‘vote left’ state. Wake me when it’s over.

ElectricPhase on November 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

battleoflepanto1571 on November 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Good, I’ll never forgive Coleman for not exposing the Minnesota Democrats for the thieving criminals that they are.

Because of him, the rest of us are saddled with the lying little weasel fraud Al Franken, helping to make policy, that the rest of us have to live with.

It’s NOT OK to cede power to Democrats.

Fight them in court, fight them in the street, fight them on the battlefield if necessary, but always fight them.

NoDonkey on November 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

sandee on November 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Wow, just about to post the same thing….I heard it too.

Christie doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to back down. He said last night he wants to govern like a one-termer, and root out corruption, and cut the budget big time.

Jerome Horwitz on November 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

If NoVa is sleeping through this election, McDonnell will win by 15-20.

BPD on November 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM

From your lips to God’s ears

nyx on November 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Corzine is toast! I’m calling it now. When Christie throws his weight around it’s gonna be a death-blow! I got a dollar on it already!

abobo on November 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I know there is no love between Sarah and Crist but do not be surprised if Sarah doesn’t interject herself into the FL. primary. The one reason why is Sarah respects the work the RGA has done. This could change if Sarah runs the idea by the RGA about endorsing Rubio(sic), but I just don’t think Sarah wants or need to burn that bridge with the RGA. It has more to do with the RGA than anything right now.

Clyde5445 on November 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM

hillbillyjim on November 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Just hanging there, sort of like a slow-pitched softball.

notropis on November 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM

rrpjr on November 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

The breaking point will be when the Democrats have to resort to Iranian levels of election fraud to hang on to a blue stronghold, ie: when it’s OBVIOUS to anyone who isn’t from the democrat party or the “mainstream” media that an election was stolen.

wildcat84 on November 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Obama has no coat tails just checked Rasumussen Obama is now -13 Oh My.

thmcbb on November 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Wife and I opened our local polling place here in VA at 6:00AM.
Bob, Bill, and Ken. Here’s hoping.

oldleprechaun on November 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM

BPD on November 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM

That’s good news, I remember my polling place in Arlington being jam packed for the Democrat primary (John McCain had already secured the nomination for the GOP), because of all the motivated Democrats.

Empty polling places in NoVA are definitely a good sign for McDonnell.

Beating Deeds by 15+ points will send a message that the Blue Dogs cannot ignore.

NoDonkey on November 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Speedwagon82 on November 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

That’s why Dede is doing so well too.

mankai on November 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Trifecta baby! We wuz robbed in the GE by depressed turnout thanks to MAC (Sarah still got millions of us!!) and a compliant media for TOTUS

Now EVERYONE CAN SEE ELECTIONS MATTER!!!

GO VOTE!!!!

WOOT!

ginaswo on November 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM

ACORN employees are earning their money today in New Jersey. Lets hope they get caught with a new video.

bluegrass on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Speedwagon82 on November 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Whatever.

All I know is that his victory will help to doom ObamaCare.

Blue dogs take note, unless you want to get a real job come 2010.

NoDonkey on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Virginia already has five Republicans in Congress, including Eric Cantor. What we need is a Republican (and not in name only) in the Senate.

bgoldman on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

The lefty memes are that it is no reflection on obama’s failures because there are too many factors. Of course, all those factors are obama failures. Also, that the NJ election is too close to tell. Doesn’t look like that to me.

Blake on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Yes Christie is NOT going to let them pull a Franken on him easily
a fighter!
ANOTHER good thing about Christie!!

ginaswo on November 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM

ernesto on November 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Why then, sir, did Mr. Obama put his prestige on the line for Corzine? Why then, sir, did Mr. Biden put his “prestige” on the line for Mr. Owens?

It’s all about Obama, dontcha know?

either orr on November 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM

dont let the libs bait the GOP into going squishy now folks! I was a lib and I am a mod and I am on the GOP bandwagon now, dont go all squishy on me!!

if you BELIEVE IN AMERICA they will come (the voters)

ginaswo on November 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM

ElectricPhase on November 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Sooner or later even the blues in the blue states will reach a breaking point. There are only so many tax increases that even liberals can take. Not EVERYONE in New Jersey are on welfare and living in government housing after all, and those people have a bullseye on their wallet placed there by the leftist establishment.

That’s why, yes, I’ll use the word, purity in the Republican party is important. When that time comes we HAVE to be a clear contrast to the democrats, not democrat lite, which the RINOS and “moderates” would have you think we need to be.

wildcat84 on November 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM

you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you cant fool them when they dont have JOBS!!!!

Go Home Obots!!

ginaswo on November 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I have seen a few images of the voting public on TV and…they are all older white people…where are all the other ethnic diversities that love this country so much?

royzer on November 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM

If the New Jersey election is too close to declare a winner what are the state laws concerning recounts?

d1carter on November 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM

You know what that means, right?

That the Democrat had a bunch of signs that he couldn’t give away.

JeffWeimer on November 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I think you’re right. The delegate seat is considered a safe GOP one, fwiw.

changer1701 on November 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM

bgoldman on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Won’t happen until at least 2012. Webb elected ’06 and Warner ’08.

JeffWeimer on November 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM

The only question is the margin of fraud.

beatcanvas on November 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I don’t think the average American voter has a sense for how great that margin normally is, and how large it has become due to organizations like Acorn.

Hening on November 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Very optimistic news, but Acorn is still running around loose and free to work their shenanigans. Also, if we do get the triple crown, how many democrats will be left in the state legislatures to sabotage Christie and McDonnell? That’s always been the problem with republicans – they never had true ruling majorities in Congress or the White House. Even Ronald Reagan had to deal with the democrat snakes in Congress undermining him every step of the way. George Bush had a short stint with a slim republican majority but like a cancer, there were still enough democrats with the power to torpedo any good he and the republicans tried to do. It’s been that way with the democrat majorities for the past 80+ years. I would like to see some real changes in power in 2010 and 2012. Because a solid republican gain in 2010 will be ruined if we allow Obama to get re-elected in 2012.

mozalf on November 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM

bluegrass on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Thanks to Hannah and James, my guess is there will be more eyes on them this time. And you know they are out in force, along with their SEIU branch. They have to earn that Obamamoney after all.

wildcat84 on November 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

The Dems are really scared here in New England. I have read and heard nothing but stuff about why the Republicans will lose even when they win and it will just make things worse for conservatives in the long run if they win today. Oh, and there is no point in going out to vote for the Republican candidate because it won’t change anything.

Johnnyreb on November 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Vote fraud needs to be exposed.

I am hoping that a sting similar to the ACORN transgressions is being set up and filmed, to expose Democrat fraud.

That’s the only way to expose them as the lying cheats that they are.

Embarrass the hell out of them.

NoDonkey on November 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM