Planned Parenthood director quits after watching abortion ultrasound

posted at 3:00 pm on November 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

After eight years working at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Bryan, Texas, including two years as its director, Abby Johnson suddenly decided that she could no longer participate in abortions. What pushed Johnson out was both an ultrasound of an abortion and a renewed emphasis on the cash-generating business in the failing economy. After being told to deemphasize prevention and market for abortions, Johnson finally had enough:

According to Johnson, the non-profit was struggling under the weight of a tough economy, and changing it’s business model from one that pushed prevention, to one that focused on abortion.

“It seemed like maybe that’s not what a lot of people were believing any more because that’s not where the money was. The money wasn’t in family planning, the money wasn’t in prevention, the money was in abortion and so I had a problem with that,” said Johnson.

Johnson said she was told to bring in more women who wanted abortions, something the Episcopalian church goer recently became convicted about. …

Johnson now supports the Coalition For Life, the pro-life group with a building down the street from Planned Parenthood. Coalition volunteers can regularly be seen praying on the sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood. Johnson has been meeting with the coalition’s executive director, Shawn Carney, and has prayed with volunteers outside Planned Parenthood.

The television station has video of Johnson’s interview at the link, so be sure to watch it.

What was the reaction of Planned Parenthood?  They sued Johnson and the Coalition for Life and filed restraining orders against both.  They claim that Johnson and the CFL wanted to breach the confidentiality of their clients, but nothing in the KBTX report indicates that Johnson had any such intention.  In fact, Johnson was unaware of the suit when KBTX’s report went to air last night.

It doesn’t surprise me to see Planned Parenthood pressure its offices to push abortions harder.  That’s their core business, after all, and with less money flowing into the abortion mills, they need to market it more aggressively.  It does remove the veneer of “community service” that PP claims while defending themselves, however.  They’re in the mass-production abortion business, plain and simple, which Johnson finally discovered.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

@ apacalyps, good work!

AH_C on November 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM

You too!

apacalyps on November 3, 2009 at 10:47 PM

@ apacalyps, good work!

AH_C on November 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Same to you.

apacalyps on November 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM

AH_C on November 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Well said.

unclesmrgol on November 4, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Methinks you only read as far as necessary to find what you want and quit, instead of going the for the full meal deal. To paraphrase that Blue fish: “Just keep studying, Just keep studying… (till you reach the end)”

You thinks wrong. Again.

Well hey I gotta run, I have a busy day. I have some shoplifting to do, then I need to knock off a liquor store, after that if I have time I’ll embezzle for a bit. Then I’ll repent so I can feel good about myself again. ‘Cause as you know, I’m just like your relative.

kg598301 on November 4, 2009 at 8:04 AM

‘Cause as you know, I’m just like your relative.

kg598301 on November 4, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Not my post, but certainly my sentiment. I’m glad to know that this exchange galls you enough so that you worry at it like an open wound. Now, once you think past your anger and realize the truth of my words, you’ll feel better and be able to build a true relationship with the real God, not a false relationship with a god you’ve built out of whole cloth.

unclesmrgol on November 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I hate to chime in on the scriptural war that is going on here, but “repent” in the bible is overwhelmingly aimed at non-believers “Repent and be baptized”, “Repent and be saved”. Confession is the word that is most used for believers.

However, used so close to those words, there is a question of what repentance is for. Are we repenting from an attitude that would keep us from being baptized? Are we repenting from an attitude that would keep us from being saved? There are also a bunch of scriptures that are subordinated by various doctrines, Jesus says that in believing in him that you have passed “from death to life”. That I don’t vacillate between death and life constantly (even though I John asserts that if we don’t admit we sin, we call God a liar) is one of the main differences I have with the Catholic church.

As well, I recognize that it is the history of the church that people will always feel that they have been deputized by Christ to be a separator of sheep from goats or tares from wheat. The the Bible is sufficient for our role under God. No part of the threshing, no part of the judging is properly our role under scripture.

Our role is witness to his grace. How appropriate that an abuser of God’s grace is a poor witness, and that a person who testifies to God’s grace with gratitude shown in their lives, is a good witness. God will dole out his grace to these people according to his wisdom. Remember that Jesus testifies that he 1) does not wish to judge, and 2) does not know the hour of judgment–because it is not his to know. That would give you an insight onto how much the Bible is a handbook for witnessing and how much it is a comprehensive manual to the wisdom of God–including roles you’re not meant to fulfill.

Now, I know that perpetually dogmatic can have all sorts of stuff against this. That I did not construe the Bible according to their tradition, and as such I am wrong. My only rejoinder is to attempt to be a witness to God’s grace as I see it, and respectfully disagree and show not a spirit of quarreling (because quarreling comes from our fleshly desires–as Paul identifies–even among Christians, because he never disowned those he castigated for quarreling.) but of grace.

Axeman on November 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Hi Axeman, I tend to look on the positive but this has been a very good discussion for me. It’s been a great visual aid so to speak, about where I was raised (religious bondage & legalism), where I am now & how happy I am since being freed from all of that. I hadn’t thought about that in quite a while.

I will stick with grace & never go back. I don’t consider myself at war here, in fact when we all meet in Heaven someday we will see this for what it was- bullcrap- and probably have a good laugh about it all. And there will no doubt be some surprises in Heaven. God has an excellent sense of humor!

The Body of Christ is under enough attack these days without us shooting each other down, I believe.

You make some very good points about witnessing & the points are taken here. Thanks & have a great night!

kg598301 on November 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM

kg598301 on November 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Well, to be honest I didn’t find you to be more contentious one in the argument. My main point was to chime in with the results of my quantitative study on the word “repentance” in the NT, and put up some obstacles to dogmatic objections to it, and some grounding concepts to those objections.

In fact, I’m very much of the grace angle. When Paul answers the question of sinning more so that grace would abound, he does not say, “No because you would then have no grace!” He accepts the idea that grace covers sin, in that he does not contest that part of it, but instead wants to reorient the idea of what magnifies grace–it is the life changed by grace to obedience to God.

However, 1) this seems to be a moot point because the lady clearly appears to be repenting in some fashion, and 2) although I don’t believe that everybody who has an abortion is condemned to hell, the promotion of abortion as “anybody’s choice” couldn’t be less Biblical. First of all we belong not to ourselves, but each to each other–now I know that there are legalists and dogmatists that want to abuse that, but that is where solid knowledge of Paul’s writings helps. Paul will more than bail one out against people who exercise a spirit of judgment.

Second of all, Jesus gave up much to come and save us. Thinking of how we can avoid burdens that we’ve gotten ourselves into by irresponsible choices, is not having “the mind of Christ”. Thinking that we have a right to avoid such burdens may be somewhat sufferable in our civic forum, but it is not having the “mind of Christ”. That is the goal. Propagating these ideas, even as “grace”, I find wrong for a Christian. Making a person into a penalty is a humongous de-facto judgment on people. And if we can assent to that even in theory for “grace” we have nodded to a hellish reversal of the idea of grace.

Here, I am only laying out the principles I find with the gravity I think they deserve. But I think that if we make human beings into “inconveniences” and “punishment” that we are inverting grace for the benefit of “grace”. Grace is not the idea that you are right in whatever you think, it is the idea that you can be forgiven whatever your sin. Now, it is ultimately up to God to judge what is sin, but if we get too skeptical, no amount of judging can be properly rebuked by Jesus’ rejoinder against judging, less we judge and rebuke those who judge (too much and with too much finality). If we pretend to understand this concept so to curtail needless judgmental attitudes which make us not a witness to God’s grace, but his judgment (which has its place, mind you) and so that we can pronounce it “undesirable” it is necessary that we must be able to ascertain some of the principles of God–and indeed we have the Holy Spirit as guide.

It is by those principles I think that even saying the words “punishing with a baby” is a hellish inversion of the values of God lays forth by his grace. And I can say that without any final implication about the person who says it–even all blasphemies against God can be forgiven man (except one) but man becomes redeemed of something wrong.

Wrong but redeemed, that’s what we believe in.

Axeman on November 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Wrong but redeemed, that’s what we believe in.

Yes I do. Absolutely, & that goes for all of us. Thanks again!

kg598301 on November 4, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I will stick with grace & never go back.

kg598301 on November 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I really don’t wanna comment here — it’s just that you’re so smug. We are saved by Grace, NOT works, but if your lifestyle doesn’t reflect what you profess. Your faith is not real. It is dead. It is not faith at all. The only one’s who are going to heaven are true born again, and repentant Christian’s who are living for Jesus. That is the truth, not the “feel good” evangelism you’re preaching.

I don’t consider myself at war here,

Well, you are at war — at war with God — and you don’t even know it. You’ve repeatedly called Him a liar in this thread by claiming that He doesnt condemn abortion and the Scriptures are silent on it! The Bible says, “children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward” (Psalm 127:3). How arrogant can you be! It’s sickening to watch.

when we all meet in Heaven someday we will see this for what it was – bullcrap – and probably have a good laugh about it all.

I hope to see you in heaven. I really do. I hope you you get saved if you’re not already. That’s why I’m reminding you that there is no swearing allowed in heaven. Now repent, “go, and sin no more” (John 8:11). Refrain from sin, as Christ has commanded.

apacalyps on November 4, 2009 at 10:10 PM