Jim Moran: The GOP would be running on the Taliban ticket in Afghanistan

posted at 7:03 pm on November 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

Mind you, he said this in a swing state where the “Taliban candidate” is currently ahead by 18 points.

At a get-out-the-vote rally in Fairfax County, Moran said: “I mean, if the Republicans were running in Afghanistan, they’d be running on the Taliban ticket as far as I can see.”

Moran was talking about Republicans Robert F. McDonnell for governor, Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling and state Sen. Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, who is running for attorney general. By some accounts, the three represent the most conservative Republican ticket to run in Virginia in many years. Moran’s comments clearly were aimed to motivate Democratic voters to turn out on Tuesday and vote blue.

According to WAMU, McDonnell spokeswoman Crystal Cameron called Moran’s remarks “negative” and “vicious.”

Wikipedia has a nifty list of some of Moran’s greatest hits (literally!) in case you want to refresh your memory. This sort of demagogic vaudeville doesn’t bother me coming from Moran any more than it does coming from Teacups, so why bother linking it? For two reasons. One: GOP Rep. Virginia Foxx said something similarly stupid today about ObamaCare being a more dire threat to America than any terrorist, which should come as news to anyone who’s worried about, say, Iranian nukes. But count on the left to have a politically calculated panic attack over that, even while Moran’s casually dismissing Bob McDonnell as some sort of nascent Mullah Omar. And two: Matt Welch was totally right this morning when he called Jesse Walker’s piece about the paranoid style in center-left politics an essential read. I linked it a bunch of times when it first came out but Frank Rich’s self-parodic op-ed about GOP “Stalinists” yesterday and Moran’s babbling about the Taliban today gives me an excuse to link it again. The conservative revival that’s playing out right now in NY-23 isn’t just a story of grassroots activism, it’s a story of the almost literally unbelievable vilification of that activism that began with the DNC’s “angry mobs” ad, continued with Harry Reid’s coinage of “evilmongers” and lesser Democrats’ invocation of “political terrorists” to describe the townhall protesters, and lives on now with Frank Rich-type op-ed dreck. Prepare yourself for the predictable media reaction to a Hoffman win tomorrow by reading Walker’s piece. Like I say, it’s essential.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You have seen the promo on this is what happens to your brain on drugs.Moran is the example of what happens to your brain on liberalism .

thmcbb on November 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I think you mis-spelled his name.. its Jim MORON….

Wolftech on November 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Can we draft a code of conduct for GOP Reps to try and keep them from saying stupid things?

DerKrieger on November 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Jim Moran: The GOP would be running on the Taliban ticket in Afghanistan

And the libclone crowd goes wild, the academic and media, crowd control, brain wash has been very effective in those born with the genetic predisposition to rage for envy, conspiracy and insecure immaturity, ie: liberalism.

Speakup on November 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Cheney and Bush were worse than the Taliban with their torture policies.

Spathi on November 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Mo ran
Mo lost
Hyuk hyuk hyuk

GnuBreed on November 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Hate. Just plain hate. Ginning up hate.

ronsfi on November 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM

The Left has been referring to McDonnell as ‘Taliban Bob’ here for months, so I’m not surprised he’s running with it too.

changer1701 on November 2, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Cheney and Bush were worse than the Taliban with their torture policies.

Spathi on November 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Jim Moran has entered the building.

silverfox on November 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Jim Moran has entered the building.

silverfox on November 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I took a spathi after my morning coffee.

daesleeper on November 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Cheney and Bush were worse than the Taliban with their torture policies.

Spathi on November 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Then why doesn’t the left go ahead and profess their love them since libs have always shown such dear affection for the Taliban (and every other terrorist)? They’re such moderates, aren’t they?

Speakup on November 2, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Cheney and Bush were worse than the Taliban with their torture policies.

Spathi on November 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I could not agree more. Getting water poured up your nose is absolute torture. I know ’cause I got water up my nose EVERY TIME I WENT TO THE COMMUNITY POOL when I was a kid and it was TORTURE let me tell you!

And loud, awful music at all times of the day and night? I GOT TEENS IN THE HOUSE! RIGHT NOW! TORTURE!

BTW: I’m sure glad we’re giving the Gitmo inmates the H1N1 flu shots. I mean, it’s not like there’s enough to go around and all. Company first, right? And if some child dies for lack of the vaccine, well, at least we’ve got our priorities right. Right?

Rod on November 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Who is he kidding? If the Republicans were the Taliban the Democrats would be willing to talk to them.

jl on November 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM

ROFLMAO

dissent555 on November 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I know we shouldn’t take this, uh, Moran, seriously, but consider his statement for a moment.

Now, the Taliban came to power a few years after Clinton withdrew support to our Afghan allies. While there was a general outcry about their barbarity, no one did anything about them…until President Bush.

So, Mr Moran thinks that the Taliban and Republicans are pretty much the same, but ignore the fact it was the Republicans that removed them. If Obama manages to give back Afghanistan to the Taliban, I guess the proof of Moran’s cluelessness will be complete.

18-1 on November 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Cheney and Bush were worse than the Taliban with their torture policies.

Spathi on November 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I guess it is too bad then that Obama is continuing the most troubling of those policies. I still remember when the left applauded not only Bush, but Clinton for rendition. Ah, history, such a pain for the left.

18-1 on November 2, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I’m amazed at how easy it is for Democrats to get a pass. It’s also amazing that, when people talk about right wing extremeists, they completely forget about the left wing extremists. ELF is one of those groups that’s been creating havoc on the West Coast but you see very little about them, when they start another fire or something like that.

I can’t figure out how Virginians keep electing this hateful person. You seldom see a civil argument out of him so I’m not even sure he’s capable of it. Perhaps the Republicans need to send out a real conservative who has a calm demeanor, and get Rep. Moran to dig himself a hole.

bflat879 on November 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Moran is a smashed bag of meat with lipstick.

TugboatPhil on November 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Rod on November 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Rod, I at least hope they tell the Islamists that it’s SWINE flu they’re being injected with. So much for culturally appropriate meals.

TugboatPhil on November 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I lived in Arlington for 10 years and there is no way a Republican will ever defeat this corrupt, incompetent jackass.

Arlington is full of lawyers, federal employees, Capitol Hill Staffers and professors/students from Georgetown and George Washington.

No way they ever vote for a Republican.

Moran is a vile criminal who is cretinous to boot and he’s never seriously challenged in an election.

I met this jackass once at a fundraiser and will always regret not beating him senseless.

Then again, he’s already senseless so what’s the point?

He could run as a corpse and still get elected there.

NoDonkey on November 2, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Pic–Moran’s best Teddy imitation?? Or do all the Angry White Liberal men look alike? Pardon my sexist racist question but inquiring minds need to know?

chickasaw42 on November 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I thought the pic was of Murtha. They both have that Foghorn Leghorn look.

ddrintn on November 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Wasn’t it the Republicans who were trying to kill the Taliban?

WyoMike on November 2, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Ah…. the progressive face of the left. What a moron and a waste of skin.

ultracon on November 3, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Moran’s comments are beneath notice.

However, it is important to remember that our elected representatives are not battling to give Iran nuclear weapons, and even if Iran gets them, that will not place the United States in immediate danger of obliteration. We will certainly go to war in that case, and it will be ugly, but the US will survive.

Our elected representatives are, however, doing everything in their power to force us to convert to communism through their fictitious “health care” issue. If this agenda passes, in any form whatsoever, the United States will cease to exist within a couple of decades. Oh, sure, the name might still be in use, but the country will be gone. The certain destruction resulting inevitably from the health and energy proposals now in Congress is far more dangerous to us than any mere weapons any foreign enemy might acquire.

underdog on November 3, 2009 at 12:11 AM

I’m so tired of this crap. How dare they?!!!

The comparisons to Nazis, Stalinist purges, and people who blow up little girls because they are going to kindergarden, it’s beyond sickening and disgusting, and to be honest, hurtful. This is really what they want? This is really what it’s come to? My son is risking his life fighting the Taliban, but because we don’t want Obamacare, we have suddenly become the Taliban? Really???? Do these idiots even have any idea what they’re saying?

The fact that the media, or any single democrat doesn’t call them on this just shows how low they have sunk. People throw this excrement around and have no idea of the horror they are actually talking about. Is the Holocaust a joke now? Is the Taliban stoning women to death in a soccer field just a silly little game? Stalin’s mass executions just a little political fodder for the Democrats? I think this is the straw that just broke my back. Time to go beyond donations and phone calls, and get involved in local “real world” activities. School board, city council, etc. And when this a-hole is up for reelection, I will be helping his opponent, no matter where I live. This Conservative Mama is officially done being stepped on. My nonviolent, democratic oppositon will make him wish he never opened his big yapper, especially when he’s cleaning out his office and heading home unemployed.

Boudica on November 3, 2009 at 3:48 AM

He could run as a corpse and still get elected there.

NoDonkey on November 2, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Sounds like our darling Barney Frank here in MA.

Rod on November 3, 2009 at 7:09 AM

I can’t pass this up. If the GOP were really like the Taliban Moran whould be switching parties. Moran, who is my congressman, is Jew-hater from way back in Boston. He hangs with Hamas supporters and would find the Taliban to be quite compatible with his viewpoint.

jerryofva on November 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I guess by odumbo standards there could be a possibility of bipartison efforts since we heard recently how the tollibon will have a role in the future of Afghanistan

Seriously, how dos the d constituency deal with constant polar opposite points of view parroted by these contemptuous morons?

Sonosam on November 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM