Hatred of Glenn Beck: It’s come to this

posted at 7:38 pm on November 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

I don’t know why they even bothered dressing this up as comedy. If you’re going to wish death on someone, own it. It’s like hitting a guy with a crowbar but wearing a funny hat while doing it to “lighten the mood” or whatever.

Did you read the Jesse Walker piece like I asked? It applies here too, you know. Content warning.

Victim In Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Libs are truly mentally deranged . At least Glenn admits his shortcomings.

CWforFreedom on November 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Did they take it down?

CWforFreedom on November 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM

They wouldn’t be doing this if he were not effective.

angryed on November 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM

remember, the Libs are the tolerant ones…..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

SDarchitect on November 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM

shameful

kringeesmom on November 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM

What would people say if this “humor” had been pointed towards Obama.

You know damn well what they would say.

Shiny_Tiara on November 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Odd, the Onion isn’t usually “this bad”, wonder why they decided to get this ridiculous and insulting.

Wonder what would happen if i did a youtube video saying the same about Barney Frank

Defector01 on November 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM

“fat dumb mormon f*ck face who should have drank himself to death”

Holy crap.

BadgerHawk on November 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM

“Dumb f*** Mormon”?

My, “Catholics” and “Christians” aren’t the only guaranteed free targets.

Marcus on November 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I’m speechless. This is the Onion?

ctmom on November 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM

sigh. I so often appreciate The Onion. One more thing to ‘boycott.’ We really need some more conservative entertainment out there . . .

Firefly_76 on November 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM

What a bunch of whiny twats.

jonas131 on November 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I think it’s kind of funny. It just shows how much Glenn gets to the left. This type of whining is music to my ears. Though I have to say that usually the Onion is much better at satire…

phadedjaded on November 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM

wow – was that supposed to be funny? I love a good laugh pretty much at anyone’s expense, but that was lame.

Ris4victory on November 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

phadedjaded on November 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM

its still sick

CWforFreedom on November 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Wow! WTH?

d1carter on November 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM

The Onion’s corporate HQ-

chicago@theonion.com

CWforFreedom on November 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM

As a Glenn Beck fan, I thought this idea could work—as a satire on the left’s hatred of Beck.

I think I see some hints of that in this piece, but I do agree that it’s poorly done. I can’t quite put my finger on it but it could have been funnier with loads more sarcasm.

novakyu on November 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Wow. Completely over the top; and I’m pretty jaded to this kind of stuff. This doesn’t fall under the category of “Hate Speech” though, right? Naaaaahhh. Hey, do you guys remember when the media dropped a collective brick when they read the sign that read “bury Obamacare with Kennedy”? That sullied the political debate; but this? This is just good humor, right?

Weight of Glory on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

The Onion is reliably left wing, regardless of what you may hear from time to time. But I have noticed their writing is not as clever as it once was. They have had some pretty tasteless, and flat skits recently, and usually with a left wing angle, including this one which mocks the idea that there can be any honor to killing an intruder into your home.

However, change Glenn Beck to Olberman, and it still wouldn’t be any funnier. It’s just lazy writing.

keep the change on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

This is bad.

They should have made fun of Ted Kennedy’s brain cancer like Hot Air commenters did. That would have made it funnier.

DaveS on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I only heard the middle part of his tv show today on my way home. He was on a roll. Time to build the ark peeps.

I think he is so “on” with his analysis of the people surrounding Obama, that they can’t hit him on the substance, so they are going to do their damndest to get him on ancillary issues.

karenhasfreedom on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Every day a liberal wakes up, sees stuff like this, and realizes that it’s the liberals who really are intolerant haters. That liberal goes to bed a different person.

Lily on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

All’s fair in love and war… and parody.

Unbunch your undies. It will only serve to strengthen Beck and his show. Everything anyone ever does to try to strike a blow at Beck has only served him in a positive way.

SilverStar830 on November 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Keep up the good work Glenn!

You are really pi$$ing off all the right people…

JohnBG on November 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM

This is just good humor, right?

Weight of Glory on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Something about real tragedy and humor don’t mix so well.

fourdeucer on November 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Could you imagine if Beck and Palin were actually “relevant?” LMAO! I am thoroughly enjoying watching the Libs squirm over current events. Neither of these two have any power whatsoever, you know what I mean, and they are rocking the Dems world. I am disappointed in the onion though, I knew they leaned a little left, but this was kind of over the top. Normally when they do something like this, it’s a no name character. This was personal that is for sure.

gator70 on November 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

What would people say if this “humor” had been pointed towards Obama.

You know damn well what they would say.

Shiny_Tiara on November 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Alana on November 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I have no problem with it, and even think its something that must be shown.
This is what they are. I say, let their pretty layers of skin molt off so their true faces are visible for all to see. Then, even if they try and put the masks back on, more people will know what they are.
Its like abortion..as long as you can hide it behind rhetoric and “thinky” concepts, many can take it in stride. Once you can no longer hide the ugly face of it…it changes everything.

Probably gonna get uglier, but it has to.

Itchee Dryback on November 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I normally like The Onion, and I’ve been reading the print version for almost 10 years, but this is way, way over the top.

It’s kind of nice to see that Beck’s impact irks the left so much, but still.

BadgerHawk on November 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Last fall, The Onion had Bush injure himself or fall sick every week. Then in January, he died peacefully.

YYZ on November 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Heh. One of their best ones yet.

Aristotle on November 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Another four letter word that begins with B and gets death wishes? But the left is so tolerant and inclusive!

chickasaw42 on November 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

The left is in panic mode and are about to implode.

rplat on November 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Come on guys its just the Onion… wait did they say..
“fat dumb mormon f*ck face who should have drank himself to death”

Ok thats too far… way to far, on many levels.

Indian Outlaw on November 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

novakyu on November 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM

It’s a satire of the left hyperventilation over beck, but these days it’s so hard to tell.

the_nile on November 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I don’t even need to watch that to say it is sick. I say we gladly defeat these pukes in the arena of ideas and, if they fail to submit to authority, then do it with a crowbar.

blowback.

ted c on November 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I think it’s aimed at liberals, the one’s who really have wished death on Beck. I didn’t get the feeling Beck was the target of the satire. But I like edgy comedy.

Hog Wild on November 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I see a lot of liberals mirthlessly laughing way too hard over this. This is grade-A clapper material.

Kensington on November 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I get all my news from the Onion News Network but I have to say that they crossed the line with this story. I just sent media matters a letter in support of flouncing the journalist who did this particular report.

I hope CJ gets to the bottom of this story, not that he loves Beck, but for the simple reason that CJ is first and foremost a seeker of truth and justice on the internet, like ONN. /s

Geochelone on November 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

This earns the Wanda Sykes “Two Thumbs Up” seal of approval.

GnuBreed on November 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

DaveS on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

`

The Ted Kennedy jokes weren’t any more funny than this. Now the JFKJr internet jokes, now those were classic. (“Look girls, now with no hands!”)

Marcus on November 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

What’s the difference between this and Olberduche…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

That’s racist extremism. And neo-confederate hate talk.

/CJ

Aquateen Hungerforce on November 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Whereas on the one hand I think that “concern” over death-wish bits and remarks is exaggerated on both sides, on the other hand, it’s pretty un-Onion-like to get this explicitly political and hatey on one person.

It was definitely in bad taste, though. Very bad taste.

dicentra63 on November 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Keep it up Glenn, you’re getting to them. He’s full of showmanship and bluster but he doesn’t lie! That drives liberals, leftists, and The White House absolutely nutz! They can’t catch him in a lie, they refuse to debate with him, and they could refute his accusations instantly in front of 2-3 million viewers with a phone call to the show, but alas, all they can do is make fun of him. Typical.

Tim Zank on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I usually like the Onion. They take shots at pretty much everyone. This was in poor taste though.

moonbat monitor on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Hog Wild on November 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM

of course.

Geochelone on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Great new conservative blog is any are interested:

ArmyAunt on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Hitting a theme this week, I think at the Onion.

lorien1973 on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Hog Wild on November 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM

The giveaway was that the dead girl also hated Glenn Beck.

the_nile on November 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I’m wondering if the Onion is making fun of Lib intolerance here ? We wouldn’t be missing the joke would we ?

moc23 on November 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Also…. meh.

It didn’t give me a belly laugh, but there were some 10-year old chuckles at the bad language.

Aquateen Hungerforce on November 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM

This was offensive, and probably crossed a line.

Maybe that’s why I found it funny.

YYZ on November 2, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Hog Wild on November 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM

It’s neither. Edge humour not satire, and thus is not political at all, as it doesn’t generally benefit any side of the political isle.

Aristotle on November 2, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Oh come on. It’s satire!

They are poking fun at the MSM and zero for G_ds sake.

gh on November 2, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Actually I don’t think these guys are wishing death on Glenn. The Onion has been pretty willing to make fun of the left in general and Obama in particular. By the way this ends, with the mother crying “Glenn Beck! Glenn Beck!” I think it’s as much a parody of Glenn Beck hatred as anything.

joe_doufu on November 2, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Replace ‘Glen Beck’ with ‘conservative’, and you see the future as Olbermann (a GERMAN name, if you notice) would have it.

Liam on November 2, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Whatever. Poor taste is what they’re all about. Yawn.

Kenosha Kid on November 2, 2009 at 8:00 PM

of course.

Geochelone on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I don’t know. Seem’s quite a few upset when lib’s are the butt of the joke.

Hog Wild on November 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Stupid video. Is it possible that the sarcasm was meant to make fun of Beck-bashers in the media? The Onion is usually a little more clever than this.

pugwriter on November 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Actually I don’t think these guys are wishing death on Glenn.

I thought of that, and it’s a convenient excuse, but I don’t buy it. The joke, pure and simple, is that Beck is so much more loathsome than most people that it’s unfair that he prospers while they don’t. They tossed in the death angle to drive the point home.

Allahpundit on November 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

That wreck looked real to me so making humorous commentary about it is over the line. Glenn can take insults all day long and jokes about himself but this just isn’t funny.

fourdeucer on November 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I find it interesting from a “deeper level of comedy”. I don’t think the Onion’s target here is so much Glenn Beck as critics of Beck who think he’s the most horrible person in the world.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Nethicus on November 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Looks like they were satirizing the left? I think so. Maybe a satire on how left-wing the newz networks have been.

The Dean on November 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Allahpundit on November 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Yes but you have a crush on meaghan mccain, don’t you.

gh on November 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM

‘F_ _ _’ Face Mormons’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has the Onion lost its mind!!!!!!

canopfor on November 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I think some people are giving too much credit to the onion. They are solidly lefty. Did you watch the one that mocks those who attack Biden? In that skit, Biden coughs and is mercilessly criticized by the right wing for coughing at a bad time. Again, the theme at the onion is to make fun at the expense of conservative critics. Now juxtapose that with this skit. You see that there is a liberal narrative here. They were not mocking those who hate Beck. Don’t fool yourself.

keep the change on November 2, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Allahpundit on November 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

How about: The joke, pure and simple, is that liberal haters think that Beck is so much more loathsome than most people that it’s unfair that he prospers while they don’t.

You can spin a “message” it in any direction. But Edge humour is not satirical or political. It’s just there to make you jiggle.

Aristotle on November 2, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Plain and simple Beck is hitting a nerve. Good for him, good for us.

Indian Outlaw on November 2, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Allahpundit on November 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

They way liberals use “comedy” to attack has blurred everything ( clown nose on/off etc), but it is a good joke on liberals that everyone is so fixated to hate Glenn Beck. I give Onion the benefit of doubt on that.

the_nile on November 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Dude, this is the Onion. They’re parodying the Beck-haters.

Michael McCullough on November 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Ya know,Liberals are really pushing the line in the sand to the Point Of No Return!!

Jus sayin,its getting more nasty,vicious,and the Lefty’s
are about to snap!!

canopfor on November 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Aw, come on, guys! This is a rip on the media’s hatred of Glenn. The telltale is the additional headlines they refer to at the end of the clip.

John the Libertarian on November 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Hmph. Even when the Onion is hopelessly liberal, they usually manage to be funnier than that. Because it’s decidedly not funny, it just comes across as hateful.

“Busniness filing chapter 11 today, sadly, not The Onion”

Hmmm. Maybe it is funny.

Machete_Bug on November 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM

ZOMG! Nancy Pelosi is going to be sooooo concerned about this hate speech!

/s

HondaV65 on November 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM

As a native of Virginia, all I have to say is:

Bob McDonnell. Whoo-hoo!

Get out and vote tomorrow, fellow Virginians — the Commonwealth needs your vote.

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM

What would people say if this “humor” had been pointed towards Obama.

You know damn well what they would say.

Shiny_Tiara on November 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM

“RACIST!” That’s what they’d say.

jimmy2shoes on November 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM

This is really disgusting.

cubachi on November 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Hate crime.

Ronnie on November 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM

It’s kind of nice to see that Beck’s impact irks the left so much, but still.

BadgerHawk on November 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Notice that AllahPundit avoids implicating the left in the headline, and within the post itself. That’s because you can hardly characterize the Onion as “left”. They hit both sides, and are fairly apolitical. They do satire, period.

That said, this was in particularly bad taste, even for the Onion.

crr6 on November 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Replace Glenn Beck with any liberal in this video, and it becomes a hate crime. I would love to see how a video like this featuring Chris Mathews would go down.

SG1_Conservative on November 2, 2009 at 8:17 PM

There’s funny.

There’s tacky-funny.

Then there’s just tacky.

Then there’s pathetic.

This falls somewhere below the pathetic line.

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Maybe they’d be better at making fun of Glenn Beck if he wasn’t so good at making fun of himself.

Jim Treacher on November 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM

That said, this was in particularly bad taste, even for the Onion.

crr6 on November 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Bad taste is funny.

Jim Treacher on November 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I think you make a good point. Right?

gh on November 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

This is bad.

DaveS on November 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hey, let’s all go to Kos and Huffpo right now and place a bunch of comments about how funny we think this Onion Beck video is. That way the next time the libs get up in arms about how some leftist is being criticized, we can point back to the comments that were made about the Onion Beck tape on Huffpo, hence giving them the appearance of hypocrisy. (sarc)

Kataklysmic on November 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Seen any fatal accidents lately we need some satire.

fourdeucer on November 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Wow. Classy.
The Left is scared sh*tless of Beck. There’s your proof.

uncivilized on November 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

If they did it about Obama, the Secret Service would be all over it.

Ronnie on November 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM

The White House is afraid of the truth,

mmmm mmmm mmmm

bluegrass on November 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM

ZOMG! Nancy Pelosi is going to be sooooo concerned about this hate speech!

/s

HondaV65 on November 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM

She’ll be weeping from her eyebrows again…

doriangrey on November 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Dude, this is the Onion. They’re parodying the Beck-haters.

Michael McCullough on November 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM

That was my take on it. I am kind of baffled tho after reading the responses.

Geochelone on November 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Is this part of the National Endowment for the Arts requesting artists of every genre to help support President Obama’s agenda?

canditaylor68 on November 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM

C’mon. It’s pretty funny – and I’m a pretty big Glenn Beck fan. The coolest thing about him is how he makes the left go nuts! They just lose their $h!+ over him.

It’s really a joke about how the left become foaming rabid animals at the mere mention of his name. It’s the left that this is skewering, not Glenn Beck. And, as it’s the Onion, and thus not serious, I’m not bothered. Seriously folks. Lighten up.

Pablo Snooze on November 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM

crr6 on November 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Good on ya, crr6.

Is this an example of the broken-clock syndrome, or has common sense infected your liberal bloodstream?

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Seen any fatal accidents lately we need some satire.

fourdeucer on November 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

The other day a bunch of Rino’s jumped into the abyss when they saw Dede feeding nearby.

Geochelone on November 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I agree that it was an attempt to parody Beck haters…it just crossed over the line of humor and good taste. Too Far Onion, too far!

ihasurnominashun on November 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Just another example that freedom of speech is often best when used least. This will be remembered, and not in a good way. The Onion should have quit while they were ahead.

MikeA on November 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM